Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  06:03:16 AM  Show Profile
Sylvia, when I was looking up apples of the Pacific Northwest in my small and limited apple variety book, the photos of the Karmine, Elstar and Gravenstein had some similarities to the photo from MaryJane. These three are all ripen early as well. Both the Karmine and Elstar are related to the Cox Orange Pippin. According to my book, the Idared ripens later Fall and is more prevalent in the lower Midwest and Upper South although it i was founded in Idaho. My book shows Idared to have a more uniform dark red skin and MaryJane's apples have yellow and green on them which looks more like the Karmine and Elstar but not exactly. Perhaps there is someone on the Faculty at the Ag department, at the university in Moscow, that would be able to correctly identify the apple.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great idea about going to the University, Winnie. A faculty member or grad student should be able to figure it out - maybe come out, look, and research.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 12 2015 :  6:46:57 PM  Show Profile
I haven't seen a Karmine or Elstar apples, but I sure do know the Gravensteins. They are very round, green with yellow and reddish stripes. Not ribbed. I love this apple but very hard to come by and it ripens very early. The Pippens I hope to plant this spring are later ripening apples. I also have a Smokehouse apple tree from Pennsylvania. A friends sent it to me, and a Jonagold. Had them heavily trimmed so lots of growth, very few apples. They are young trees so I"m being patient. Was battling the coddling moth problem with the Smokehouse tree. Had to literally cut off the branches and burn them. So far, so good.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 13 2015 :  05:53:58 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I haven't seen an apron pattern like that for grown ups, but I imagine it would be pretty easy to draft. I sent you an email about it.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  08:14:23 AM  Show Profile
We're going to take a couple of our mascot apples to someone up on the U of I campus to try to nail down the variety. Stay tuned.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  10:05:44 AM  Show Profile
Keep us posted MaryJane! Inquiring minds want to know more about our Apple Pie Sunday Tree.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  5:16:57 PM  Show Profile
Score!
I've started collecting 1958 memorabilia for my new/old 1958 Yellowstone travel trailer. So far, I've found a National Geographic magazine, a vintage Yellowstone National Park wool blanket, and this, which is also double-duty perfect for our apple celebration. Written by Ann Pillsbury herself, of the Pillsbury dynasty. Just ignore the use of shortening, food coloring, Velveeta cheese, margarine, and homogenized Spry. (Farmgirls know what to use to replace those not-healthy-for-us ingredients!)

We've scanned all the recipes, and you'll find them here.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  5:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
WOW! Sure is a score! Thank you for the recipes. I can't get the recipes open right now. I will try later, but I know I'll get hungry looking at them, and I just ate dinner.

I'll keep my eyes open for 1958 memorabilia.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 14 2015 5:27:40 PM
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  8:56:40 PM  Show Profile
Oh Maryjane... I love old National Geographics magz... best ads! and so fun to read...

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!

www.katmom4.blogspot.com & http://graciesvictorianrose.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  9:08:36 PM  Show Profile
Wrong night to look at an apple pie book! Stuffed to the gills. Hubby and I celebrated our 47th wedding anniversary. Had a steak dinner, biscuits with honey butter, romaine lettuce salad with fennel slices, sliced pears and apples. Joining us were the grandkids and daughter. Lovely evening. Love my family. Tresure hubby.

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  9:14:01 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I finally got the link to work. WOW! There are some neat recipes in that cookbook. Thank you MaryJane.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 14 2015 :  9:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations, Sylvia. Sounds like you had a wonderful celebration.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 15 2015 :  04:53:57 AM  Show Profile
Wow, MaryJane, what a FIND!! I love the graphics in this little recipe guide as well as the information text. who knew George Washington made America's first apple pie? When I read over the ingredients, I am reminded of my growing up in the 1950s. Kitchens were made "modern" with the quick and new things like Velveeta cheese, Oleo margarine, Crisco etc. It all follows that post WWII push to get women out of the kitchen and update our suburban lifestyle. What were we thinking??? LOL!!

This little find is going to be perfect for your new glamper as well as a historical reference to the glorious Apple Pie. I have to say, those recipes in the book sure look good and with healthy ingredients, one could eat a different apple pie once a day for over two months! Hmmmm, that might be a fun challenge to take on some Fall!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 16 2015 :  05:23:29 AM  Show Profile
I love this, thank you so much, Mary Jane! Old cookbooks are one of my weaknesses, they are such a window into the culture of the day.

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  04:33:54 AM  Show Profile
Was at the store, found my favorite honey crisp apples. I wanted to stop at the apple orchard, but then I would have to bake something..... Its too humid here the last couple of days to turn the oven on. The weekend should be cooler then I think I can mange to bake something. Or make apple butter.

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  04:38:05 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Yum, Denise - I love apple butter. Do you have a favorite recipe? I just downloaded a crock pot recipe and will try it when I get home from my HS reunion.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Denise Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

831 Posts

Denise
Shoreview MN
USA
831 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  04:44:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Linda,
I don't have a recipe yet, I may try a crock pot recipe I have one downloaded. The crock pot method may be the way to go since I haven't made it before.
Have fun at your reunion!

Denise Ann
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 17 2015 :  04:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That's the same reason I chose a crock pot recipe. LOL! It really looks pretty easy.

Thanks! I am looking forward to seeing my classmates that I've been chatting with in our Facebook group. Hopefully the weather in Illinois will be a bit cooler than here in Texas.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  07:44:53 AM  Show Profile
Here's a picture of my granddaughter, Lily, showing off some of the apples she chose at our neighboring farm and orchard. She actually chose a couple of my favorites, Jonamac and Ginger Gold, along with Honeycrisp and Northern Spy.

Happy Day!

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2015 :  08:00:26 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Amy, what huge and wonderful apples Lily picked out!! I have never tried Jonamac but I bet they are fantastic!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2015 :  10:52:40 AM  Show Profile
Happy Wednesday Farmgirls!! Last night we got back from a week of touring New Mexico. Neither of us had ever seen the state and we enjoyed going around to as many national and state parks as we could fit in. Beautiful and so different from Florida. Much of NM has a great deal of arid land and a desert landscape. While we were meandering along through an Indian reservation and enjoying the huge rock formations, we came to a low lying area that had a small river running through it. There was grass and different trees, but I did not expect to see a sign that said Apples for Sale! Say what? Here in the desert? This I gotta see, so I made a U turn quickly and headed back. What I found was an elderly Native American who had all these bushels of apples in the back of his pick up truck. There were Winesap, Jonathan, and a pretty green apple and one he called a Georgia O'Keefe apple because he didn't really know the real name. They were all organic too. He told me he planted an orchand 25 years ago when he moved to the site and sells and shares his apples every year. Of course I had to buy some!! They were all delicious too. Some were sweet and others a bit more tart, but all juicy and good.

Here is me buying a small basket worth to take with me. I was even able to bring them back home in my suitcase too! A Farmgirl has gotta do what a Farmgirl has gotta do!!! LOL!!

I was so excited to stumble upon this wonderful farm and have a chance to chat with the owner and learn a bit about how he started it.

On Sunday, while we were traveling back north from the amazingly beautiful Carlsbad Caverns, we passed through some mountains. At the bottom,, it was dry and desert land, but as we climbed higher and higher, the landscape began to change to trees, then evergreens, and finally areas that look a lot like North Carolina mountains. All of a sudden, I see this roadside place called Tom and Pam Runyans. It was a mixture of an animal sanctuary and roadside stand. It also included apples and apple products from Tom and Pam's Farm!!

They had Apple Butter, fresh apple cider, and tiny apple pies along with regular size apple pies. We bought a small cider, 2 small pies, apple butter and a small bag of their red and yellow delicious apples. it was all delicious and so weird to be in New Mexico doing something that I am used to doing in north Georgia and North Carolina! Plus, by the time we got down to the bottom of the mountains, it was desert again. Kinda like a dream in the middle!! LOL!!

I absolutely never expected to enjoy two Apple Adventures while out in New Mexico, but you know what I learned? Apples in September is a tradition enjoyed by anyone who has the good fortune to be able to grow them or stop by and buy them fresh from the orchard. While I was paying for mine, a neighbor came up to give Tom Runyan a few of her best Red Delicious apples from her yard. Just wanted to share with another apple enthusiast. It warmed my heart!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 23 2015 :  2:09:15 PM  Show Profile
Winnie, you are so thoughtful to let us in on your adventures. New Mexico is beautiful and diverse. Apples are fun to bring home. Just don't do something stupid as I did when we were in Hawaii. We bought 24 jars of jelly to bring to everyone. Never thought of shipping them but carried them in our Samsonite suitcase all the way home. ( it weighed about 35 pounds before anything was put in it).

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6791 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6791 Posts

Posted - Sep 24 2015 :  08:16:49 AM  Show Profile
Winnie, what a great apple adventure you had. Perfect experience for our FarmGirl Apple Festival. Love the pics!

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile
Last night, I cut up my florida pumpkin. It looks like a round butternut squash on the inside and tastes about the same. Next, I took a shallot and sauteed it in some olive oil, then added about two cups of chopped squash, a cup of the raw squash, and half of a small apple that I grated. I added a bit of salt, fresh ground pepper and about 1/3 cup of apple cider and steamed until the veggies were done. It turned out delicious too. Here is a look. Healthy, Apple infused and gorgeous colors on your plate. We ate it with some baked salmon.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  7:42:25 PM  Show Profile
What is everybody going to cook on Sunday besides pie? I'm doing a cornbread bakeover with sweet potatoes, apples, onions and sausage with a cornbread cover. Sounds good to me!

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page