Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Sep 25 2015 :  9:16:38 PM  Show Profile
Hay there,

I'm late to the party again. Ranch work is changing with the seasons. Hay is almost all baled and weaning of spring calves begins next week. Summer garden is done and cool season plants go in next. So....I have finally had a chance to get back to my Farmgirl fun!! One of my apple trees is very old and the other is barely hanging on......due to neglect. That changes this year with a good pruning. BUT, my neighbor has several trees and I'm headed over there tomorrow to gather a bushel basket full of deliciousness! My last pie was so-so and I hope this one turns out better. I read all of your posts and ya'll are so creative and industrious. I hope to have my name on Brians list in January for all three levels. I will be planting a few trees this year. I also need to get a few more hives of honey bees for pollinators. Great fun!!

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  05:30:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Daizy! You are just in time for the Apple Pie Sunday fun. I hope your pie will turn out perfectly for you this year with your neighbors apples. How wonderful that you have someone close by who can share with you. Keep us posted on your plans and planting of your new apple trees too. It will be exciting to start your new little orchard and the bees will love those Spring Apple Blossoms!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  07:56:40 AM  Show Profile
SO excited about tomorrow! This morning we had pancakes with diced apples that were sauteed in some lemon juice with a little bit of sugar, brown sugar, and cinnamon. Yummy!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  11:24:24 AM  Show Profile
My DIL, Ashley, has three apple pies in the fridge ready for tomorrow. I was just out getting our campsite ready for when my entire family shows up for pie, an apple tasting, coffee, hot cocoa, and hot apple cider, not to mention whipped cream and ice cream:) Soon the festivities will begin. Farmgirl Apple Pie Sunday here we come!!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  11:47:55 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane your Apple Festival campout sounds like fun and the food delish.

My apple apron is ready for tomorrow, so are the apples and Pillsbury pie crust. I will cut the dough into circles and press into muffin tin. Don't know how many mini-pies I will get ~ will have to wait until I do it.

I'm using the apple pie recipe from 'The Virginia Housewife', first cookbook published in Virginia in 1860. I'm making 2 substitutions. Orange sugar for powdered sugar, and instead of rose water thinned down homemade strawberry syrup. Sounds good to me. Now you know why I'm not a baker ~ I don't like to follow recipes.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
FarmGirl of the Month Sept 2015
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  12:43:07 PM  Show Profile
ROSE WATER ???

Hugs and prayers, Daizy #1093
Poor House Farmgirl Chapter {A virtual chapter open to everyone.}
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
www.poorhouseparadise.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  1:37:05 PM  Show Profile
Rose water is made by simmering rose petals in non-chlorine water. Used both in cooking and cosmetically. If bought commercially for cooking make sure it is food grade. I haven't made it, but next year I may give it a try.

I have made rose tea by steeping the petals and hips.

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 26 2015 :  2:39:16 PM  Show Profile
Look what surprise came in the mail?? MaryJane shared some of her apples from our mascot tree that she spoke about earlier on this blog thread: Apple Pie Sunday was the name she game them. Today I got partially ready by making the crust and letting it "rest" in the fridge overnight. I can't wait to make my pie tomorrow and use these apples. They are crispy, juicy and just a wee tart. Perfect for an apple pie!

MaryJane, your family gathering sounds wonderful and with three pies, there will be plenty to for seconds or even maybe breakfast on Monday morning!! LOL!

Sara, I have that same cookbook and I love that you are trying their recipe. I am going to look it up when I get off from here. I never thought about grabbing it off of the shelf and looking to see what was one of the original ways to make apple pie. Great idea!

Don't you know there will be cinnamon wafting in the air from coast to coast tomorrow as our pies are baking? Glorious!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  08:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I'm on the road and can't cook a pie so had an apple Danish and have fresh apples to snack on. Not as good as a pie, but will make a pie after I get home.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  09:58:21 AM  Show Profile
My sister came over for a early lunch and apple pie. To my delight the little pies turned out delicious. I did add one more thing to the original recipe - a pat of butter for each pie. The crust browned beautifully and the little pies popped right out of the muffin tin. Put them on a cake stand and if I do say so myself it was just like in magazines.

Bobbie gave me a kitchen towel with apples & pears for 'my apple day'.

Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  10:21:13 AM  Show Profile
This morning was danish with apple pie jam... working on canning more apple pie filling and apple pie jam today. Apple pie will be dessert :)

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  11:31:45 AM  Show Profile
Sara and Shannon, your apple delights for breakfast and early lunch sound wonderful! My pie is just about done and we are looking forward to enjoying it for dinner!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

jan49829
True Blue Farmgirl

2428 Posts

Janet
Winter Haven Florida
USA
2428 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  11:40:11 AM  Show Profile
I made a recipe called Apple Slab Pie. It is basically apple pie without the top crust, and you drizzle frosting on top. It just got done baking and is cooling, smells sooooo good, but warmed up our RV to almost 100 degrees!!!!! Need to turn the air on now.

Jan
Farmgirl Sister #3340

http://hardatworkcrafts.blogspot.com

http://Jan49829.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  12:30:23 PM  Show Profile
Just took my pie out of the oven and it smells wonderful!! Can't wait to enjoy some tonight! This was made with the apples MaryJane sent to me from her apple tree. It is hard not to just dig in right now !!

Janet, I have never heard of Apple Slab Pie but it sounds yummy! Enjoy!!

Has anyone yet detected that faint smell of cinnamon wafting across the states today? I'm pretty sure I can! LOL!!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  12:57:35 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I also bought a jar of Amish-made apple butter to try when I get home.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  4:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Linda, Amish apple butter will be fantastic on toast! I also love it on baked sweet potatoes too.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  4:51:32 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Great idea Winnie! I love baked sweet potatoes.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  5:30:29 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
This has been a very productive weekend. I got the house cleaned yesterday, except the kitchen and dining room of course, and we took delivery of our new tractor (YEAH!!!!). Today I got all the laundry finished and hung on the line to dry (those days are almost over). We spent to day working on the farm and celebrating the apple, with food of course.

I made a nice country breakfast of scrambled eggs (ours) with chantrelles (wild mushrooms) and onions, and lovely chicken apple breakfast sausages. I then made a loaf of banana bread and a loaf of apple bread (pumpkin bread recipe using my homemade applesauce instead). For late lunch I made a BakeOver using apples, pumpkin, sweet potatoe, chicken sausage, ginger, and MaryJane's gluten free Budget Mix (think pancakes minus the sugar). [URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150927_1507161_zpsdr7tyvx3.jpg.html][/URL] The apple pie is in the oven now. Sara, I do understand not using a recipe. I just sauteed my apples in butter, tossed on cinnamon, sugar, and corn starch, then poured on a little spiced rum for something different. We'll see how the pie turns out. It smells awesome though.

In between all of this cooking, I helped my daughter tie dye a t-shirt. Note to self: when helping children tie-dye, either wear the rattiest things you own, or cover yourself head to toe in plastic. I now have blue, pink and yellow freckles on the tops of my feet, yellow spots on my t-shirt, and tie dyed hands. She is very happy with her shirt. :)

I love all the stories of what everyone else is doing. It makes me wish we were all close enough to do a pie hop, although I think we would be sick from it...lol

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  7:44:05 PM  Show Profile
I made an apple based bakeover for dinner tonight. I finely chopped sweet potato, chopped an onion, some carrots, smoked sausage and a chopped chunk of smoked gouda cheese. The apple was a Honeycrisp. The rest of those apples are in a pie. We're recovering from a wonderful dinner which also included sliced pears and apples with some homegrown romaine with a lemon dressing. Nice pear and really good apples. I like the bakeover very much. Spices were salt and pepper with some freshly grated nutmeg. The sweet potato was soft and added the best flavor to the dish!
I'm going to heat some cider. Has anyone ever put cream into it?

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods

Edited by - Cissik on Sep 27 2015 7:44:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7446 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7446 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  8:09:11 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
That sounds delicious, Sylvia. I need to order some bakeover - they sound so wonderful. And cream in cider sounds like something I need to try.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Edited by - quiltee on Sep 28 2015 03:58:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  8:43:29 PM  Show Profile
We had a wonderful Apple Pie Sunday and already look forward to doing it again next year. I took a few photos I'll post tomorrow. The day just couldn't have been more perfect.

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16267 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16267 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2015 :  8:45:46 PM  Show Profile
Sylvia, your apple fixin's sound divine! Such unique and imaginative combinations. I think cream in hot apple cider would be fantastic. I put a spoonful of whipped cream in mine today.

Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  05:37:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
I am going to have to try whipped cream in the apple cider. It sounds like a most divine way to enjoy a break in the day.

I have already portioned out my leftovers for us to take to work and school this week. I am still tired from all the busyness this weekend, but it feels good.

Sylvia, your BakeOver sounds delicious. I love root vegetables and they do seem to lend themselves to any kind of baking. Maybe you could make another one for our next meeting (hint, hint).

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6517 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6517 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  06:09:42 AM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn, what an apple extravaganza kind of day you had! Such a feast!! I love your Bakeover idea too. That technique just lends itself to so many delicious possibilities. Thanks for sharing your yummy photos!

Sylvia, your savory BakeOver with sweet potatoes sounds delicious! I have never tried cream in cider but I have both in the fridge so I think I am going to give it a try. Pretty much everything is yummy with cream in it!! LOL!!

We enjoyed the apple pie that I made and MaryJane's apples make the best darn pie filling ever!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6797 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6797 Posts

Posted - Sep 28 2015 :  07:07:30 AM  Show Profile
MaryJane & Winnie, thanks for hosting our FarmGirl Apple Festival. I enjoyed reading all the posts and seeing the pictures of how each woman chose to celebrate. From Linda having her apple goodies on the road to breakfasts ~ lunches ~ dinners ~ and campouts ~ a good time had by all.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page