Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 September Farmgirl Apple Festival!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic
Page: of 11

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  09:28:30 AM  Show Profile
Linda, I found my first issue in a book store that carried a lot of magazines for sale. Maybe you can find one at a Books a Million or Barnes & Noble or something like that. You can also go on line and sign up for a free newsletter which gives you an idea of what to expect as well. The magazine has a variety of topics on things about gardening, raising chickens, canning, preserving, homesteading etc. Each issue is different,. If you can't lay your hands on a copy, just sign up for the free newsletter and see what you think before getting a subscription.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  09:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds good, Winnie. I'll watch for it. Would Half Price Books maybe have one? Not sure if they carry magazines.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Farm Girl of the Month August 2015
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

AnnieinIdaho
True Blue Farmgirl

437 Posts

Annie
ID
USA
437 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  8:08:58 PM  Show Profile
I did a bit of research on Mary Jane's Heirloom Apple. Perhaps it is the IDARED, cultivated in Moscow, ID in 1942 by the University of Idaho. The photo looks similar. I wasn't sure if the tree is as old as her property or planted later. According to Wikipedia List of Apple Cultivars the IDARED is a medium sized red apple, crisp white flesh is tart and juicy and can be somewhat bland if eaten out of hand, however IDARED is an exceptional cooking apple. Flesh keeps its shape and flavor becomes much stronger with cooking. An excellent keeping apple, IDARED remains hardy and durable in proper storage for as long as 8 months. IDARED is a cross between JONATHAN and WAGENER developed by the University of Idaho. Possibility?
Take care sisters. Love you! Annie

"The turnings of life seldom show a sign-post; or rather, though the sign is always there, it is usually placed some distance back, like the notices that give warning of a bad hill or a level railway-crossing." Edith Wharton, 1913 from 'The Custom of the Country'.
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 07 2015 :  8:11:10 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds like a definite possibility, Annie, especially since it started in Moscow, ID. Good research.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

"Women are Angels, and when someone breaks our wings, we simply continue to fly . . . on a broomstick - we're flexible, like that."
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  12:57:36 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Here's my first Farmgirl Apple Festival apron. It is super easy - made from a vintage cotton tablecloth.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe
Sharpshooter / Chapter Guru

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  1:59:18 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
When I got my place I inherited 7 apple trees and mixed condition. I learned that apple trees need a pollinator (or need to have more than one variety grafted onto the same tree) in order to produce fruit, so wee cut down the two that were too far away from the remaining orchard and didn't produce fruit within two years of my arrival. A windstorm damaged a third tree, so we had to take it down. I am going to have to take another tree down this year as it has not produced fruit at all since I got the place (it blooms later than the other trees). I have 4 antique varieties that should be here next March to replace the trees I have had to take out. I still don't know what variety the remaining trees are though. I am hoping to be able to take some of the fruit to our local apple festival and see if I can get it identified. All the trees are dwarf, so they are fairly new plantings. Did you know apples do not breed true when planted as seeds, so grafting is generally used to produce new apple trees. [URL=http://s1029.photobucket.com/user/Sherrilyn_Askew/media/20150907_1819211_zpsplgvccez.jpg.html][/URL]

Alexander the Great is credited with finding dwarfed apples in Kazakhstan in 328 BCE (or BC if you prefer).

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  4:23:33 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn, what a spectacular apple tree you have! It really is a beauty. How are these apples best used? Eating, pie making, applesauce making, drying, cider? Let us know if you get your apples identified at the local festival. It would be fun to know what you have. I am sorry that some of your orchard has died. Perhaps now you have just the healthy ones left for going forward. Have you thought of the idea of grafting a piece from the non-producer to see if it will produce on a healthy apple stock tree like the one you have? You could end up with a branch of just those apples mixed in with your current variety. The one thing about apples, they don't all have to be the same variety on each tree. You can mix up varieties without hurting the tree or the apples you currently have. Thanks for sharing your photo and information!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  5:42:07 PM  Show Profile
I'm just in from helping my grandgirls (Young Cultivators) tie red ribbons around our mascot tree. Photos soon!

Fantastic work on the Idared, Annie. I think that's a VERY likely possibility. When I get a minute, I'm going to dig into your findings a bit more. Way cool!!!!!

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

Bonnie Ellis
True Blue Farmgirl

2474 Posts

Bonnie
Minneapolis Minnesota
USA
2474 Posts

Posted - Sep 08 2015 :  9:14:18 PM  Show Profile
One of Minnesota's best eating apple is called sweet tango. It was developed at the u of Minnesota experimental farm and is wonderful to eat and in salads. Sweet and juicy and crisp.

grandmother and orphan farmgirl
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6746 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6746 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  03:31:38 AM  Show Profile
Our FarmGirl Apple Festival is turning out to be much more than apple pie. There's the apple pie recipe swap; badges to earn; apple aprons/crafts to make; and now the hunt is on to ID mystery apples. I'm loving every bit of it.

Sara~~~ FarmGirl Sister #6034 8/25/14
Lord put your arm around my shoulders and your hand over my mouth.

Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  10:11:40 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
The apples on this tree are very round and red. They have a crisp white flesh and are delicious to eat fresh. Due to an infestation of worms, we have had to strip the trees the past couple of years and remove all the infested fruit from the property. I suspect that one of our neighbors may have an infested tree and is not removing and disposing of the fruit. You can't even feed the apples to the chickens as the worms can get back into the soil (chicken manure doesn't kill the worms). I am keeping my fingers crossed that this year will decrease the population of the worms so I can keep more apples. Any tree within 300 feet of your trees doesn't just pass pollen, it also passes disease and bugs.

At the apple festival I should be able to pick up a bunch more apples though so I can still cook, can, freeze, and dry like a crazy lady. :)

Sherri
Sister 1350
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  11:29:00 AM  Show Profile
Wow, Sherrilyn, you have had some apple orchard troubles! Who knew such things happened? Apples don't grow here in Florida due to the excessive heat and lack of cool enough winter to set the buds.

Bonnie, I would love to taste the Sweet Tango! From your description, it sounds like a fantastic eating apple!

I'm in with you Sara! We all having fun learning many things about apples, apple experiences, apple uses, and apple crafts in the make. I have been having fun researching new recipes using apples to try for my apple badge.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  11:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Ohh, I just saw where Annie identifier MaryJane's Apple Pie Sunday variety! Makes perfect sense and it sounds like an ideal apple for an apple pie too. Let us know MaryJane how cooking your apples turn out.

Linda, your new apple apron fashioned from the vintage tablecloth turned out very nice! Enjoy wearing it this month!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

MaryJane
Queen Bee

16239 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16239 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  4:53:58 PM  Show Profile
I decided to incorporate a lesson on fabric tearing during last night's Young Cultivator meeting in order to create red bows for our mascot apple tree (Idared?). The girls loved the idea that two people pulling opposite each other can turn a large piece of fabric into strips in no time at all. (I'm thinking I'll be teaching them the art of crocheted rag rugs soon.)

MaryJane, Farmgirl #1 Plowin' Thru ~ giving aprons a good wrap for 45 years and counting ~
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 09 2015 :  7:33:43 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
Love the bows, MaryJane, and it's great you are teahing the girls how to do that. Even some fabric shops are tearing fabric now, since that is the real "grain" line of the fabric. So many fabrics are uneven on the bolt.

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  06:02:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh, WOW, Look at what a terrific job the girls did on bright red bows of our Idared Apple Pie Sunday tree-- Perfect !!! Our tree is now properly decked out for our Apple Festival by our sweet, eager and adorable Young Cultivators. Please tell them thank-you from me for doing such a great job. Next up? Learning some of the tips of apple pie making with Ashley in the BunkHouse Kitchen. Let the flour, sugar and cinnamon adorn little aprons. Remember how our moms would take any leftover pie crust, sprinkle it with cinnamon sugar, roll it up and cut jelly roll style and bake for little nibbles for us kids? Hot, crispy and full of sweet cinnamon-YUM!!

Today I announced our first Apple Festival Giveaway, Janet, jan49829. Let's give her a shout of congratulations and be sure to read how she enjoys eating apples!

Thank-you MaryJane for sharing these great photos. Our Apple Festival is so much fun and I am enjoying hearing all about apple trees, apple experiences, apple crafting, favorite ways to eat apples and more from our talented and creative Farmgirl friends.

AwesomeAppleSauce!! Have a great day everyone. Janet just emailed me and I am off to get her package in the mail.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  09:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
If you are looking to get a few trees to start or add to an orchard, but prefer to get heirloom or at least more obscure varieties, try Trees of Antiquity. They have a nice selection of organic trees and a lot of good information.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  09:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
Don't forget to pull the suckers off of your tree. Suckers use the tree's energy put don't produce fruit. Just look for the new growth that goes straight up. Fall pruning is also just around the corner. Prune your trees as the sap begins to flow into the roots so that the tree has time to heal the wounds before it goes dormant for winter. In the area in which I live, our soil lacks boron and magnesium, both minerals needed by apple trees to produce good fruit. I will be spreading Borax around under the trees just before the next rainfall and will spray the trees with liquid magnesium in the spring after they put on leaves but before they flower. I need to go talk to the apple lady again as I cannot remember what was in the trees favorite tea that makes them put on fruit like crazy.

After my trees have set their fruit next spring, I will have to get out there and thin the apples so that the remaining fruit will grow bigger and hopefully have fewer bug problems. We do love all our farm babies.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

hudsonsinaf
True Blue Farmgirl

3162 Posts

Shannon
Rozet Wyoming
USA
3162 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  09:47:30 AM  Show Profile
Wow Sherrilyn! That is a lot of really neat information about cultivating apples! Thank you so much! We are currently renting, but are planning to move in about a year, and starting an orchard there. The information you shared will be incredibly beneficial. Thank you so much!

~ Shannon

http://hudson-everydayblessings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  10:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I loved those cinnamon pie crust leftovers. LOL!

I also remember when we were able to eat raw pie dough and cookie and cake batter. Now they say we shouldn't do it. I loved licking the bowl. LOL!

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Dare2BUniquelyMe

143 Posts

Sherrilyn
Lake Tapps Washington
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  12:31:57 PM  Show Profile  Send Dare2BUniquelyMe an AOL message
We used to beg my mom to make pinwheels (pie crust leftovers with cinnamon, sugar, and butter). Sometimes, if we were lucky, she would make a pie crust batch just for pinwheels. Around holiday time I make them for my family when I bake my pies.

I still love to lick the bowl and the beater, but if the kids are around, I have to live with a finger swipe through the batter...lol

All this pie talk has gotten my tummy rumbly. If we don't go to the fair this weekend, I'm making pie.

Sherri
Sister #1350
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6488 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6488 Posts

Posted - Sep 10 2015 :  1:10:07 PM  Show Profile
Sherrilyn, thank-you for all of your tips for growing healthy apple trees!! I sure wish we could grow them here in Florida. Hehehe, I love that someone else knows all about those pie crust pinwheels!! They are the best! If you make pie this weekend, send us a photo and let us know!!

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Go to Top of Page

Song Sparrow
True Blue Farmgirl

1010 Posts

Amy
Talleyville Delaware
USA
1010 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  1:47:32 PM  Show Profile
I had to share this picture of my granddaughter, Lily, in her very first apron. I made it for her with apple fabric in honor of our Apple festival.

Happy Day!
Peace in our hearts, peace in the world
Amy (Sister#6098) www.danaherandcloud.com

Go to Top of Page

quiltee
True Blue Farmgirl

7443 Posts

Linda
Terrell TX
USA
7443 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  2:50:30 PM  Show Profile  Send quiltee a Yahoo! Message
I love that kids apron, Amy. Your granddaughter looks so cute in it! Is there an adult pattern like that?

Farmgirl hugs,
Farmgirl #1919
Linda O
Lone Oak, TX

Go to Top of Page

Cissik
True Blue Farmgirl

578 Posts

Sylvia
Kent WA
USA
578 Posts

Posted - Sep 11 2015 :  5:08:35 PM  Show Profile
I looked up ribbed apple varieties, the Idared was not listed. So I'm really wondering what is that old apple at MJ's farm? But, the bottom line is: does it taste good and make good pies? I'm all about the pies! Off to do some sewing

Sylvia
Kent, WA
Farm Girl #5389
http://vintagehousegoods.blogspot.com
http://etsy.com/shop/Vintagehousegoods
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic September Farmgirl Apple Festival!! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page