Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2023 :  04:12:37 AM  Show Profile
Three weeks ago Montpelier, our capital city, flooded. It is at the juncture where the North Branch joins the Winooski. We had over 15 inches of rain in the month of July. All of that flowing into the rivers made them rise. There is a flood control damn on the North Branch so the city was not destroyed. But, the rivers rose so much that people were kayaking on Main Street. A friend who lives up a little on a hill said he watched the CNN television people get into their canoe to record the news. So, the water went more than three feet high into the store fronts which have mostly been raised to accommodate rising water over the years. The floors of the businesses were soaked and much of the merchandise was mudded up. Some of the stores have had people wash the clothing and it will now be on sale. Some businesses will go out of business. Most of the stores in town are empty. Montpelier Alive, which promotes downtown Montpelier businesses, says 5000 people have helped clean up so far and grants have been given to the businesses to help restart. Some of the businesses had flood insurance and many did not because it is very expensive. So, that is why there were piles of refuse on the sidewalks.

Montpelier Alive is collecting money to help businesses restart. They also have pictures on their website.

We had five days without rain this week. It is raining now.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2023 :  07:39:29 AM  Show Profile
Ah Man!!! This climate change is really changing our lives. I became dizzy on the walk with the dog this morning. It is hot and humid and that was not the problem. I took GABA Penton for the first-time last night. I slept well but I don't know if I like being so dizzy. Of course, somehow, I am the only one who can walk the dog in the morning. I was afraid I would fall over during it. Right now, my stupid DH is distracting me with his talk so I don't know if this is even coherent. ARGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9253 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9253 Posts

Posted - Aug 10 2023 :  04:51:45 AM  Show Profile
Holly, that is so sad that the rains caused such a disaster. We have had quite a bit of rain this summer but it has kept our temperatures down. It seems nothing really changes much. I can remember stories from back home about towns being flooded like that. It seemed to happen every so many years in one place or another.
I can also remember summers there when it was so hot even the insects quit making noise. It was so still and quiet in the heat. It was really weird.
Hopefully the financial help will get the businesses back on their feet. It is a shame for those who don't have insurance though. Really keeps the town from recovering and a reminder of how quickly things can change. We were under a flood watch last night but most of it went north of us.

The kids will be back in school here on the 15th. Summer goes by so fast when they start school so early. We never started until after labor day and went until late June. I guess they had to figure in snow days but we didn't have to be in school during Summer except for the first couple of weeks. But it didn't feel like summer anymore. We are getting cooler morning here already. I love waking up up to them. It energizes me.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Aug 10 2023 04:52:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9253 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9253 Posts

Posted - Aug 11 2023 :  04:06:21 AM  Show Profile
I think the rain here has been a boon to the mosquitoes!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

criley
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Connie
Eldon MO
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2023 :  11:57:49 AM  Show Profile
Hi all, may I join in? I am Connie, in central Missouri. My hubs and I have a 75 acre farm that we share-crop. We are retired but hubs still goes into the office most every day to help out. I still do a bit of work from home for my local small town newspaper. We are pretty much on our own. We have a 27-year old daughter who lives in Fla, but is temporarily living in the camper in our yard while she works here locally and finishes her Master's degree. We have a 25-year old dear departed son who lives far far far away and we aren't sure when we will be seeing him again.

Anyway, I could use some contact with like minded ladies if you will have me.

Connie
Connie

Livin' the Life of Riley
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2209 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2209 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2023 :  2:47:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Connie! I also work at our local newspaper here in Bracken County KY. Do you do articles for your paper?

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Aug 18 2023 :  5:40:08 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

The rain continues off and on. When it comes down it pours. I thought yesterday that the river was going over its banks again upstream from the flood control dam but it did not. I think it is better to have too much rain than not any. I am sad for the peoplearound who lost their homes but I am glad we are not having fires and droughts.

The valve stem on my tractor broke when I was dragging out a pair of logs for firewood. Our back tires are loaded which means they have some sort of viscous fluid in them to add weight and keep the tractor stable while working. The tractor is at the repair shop waiting to have the tube taken out and replaced and more fluid and air put in. The man said it wold take a week and a half to get to it because there are so many vehicles that had rough use over the last month cleaning up from the floods. More towns than Montpelier were affected but the tale was easier to tell just describing Montpelier in the last post. So, fire wood is on hold until the tractor returns.

It is odd having it get dark by 8:30 here, already.

Welcome, Connie.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

criley
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Connie
Eldon MO
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2023 :  1:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Hey Vanessa! I don't write for the paper (but I do write!). I collect past due invoices for our paper. It's a dirty job but someone has to do it. LOL.

Holly, thank you for the welcome. I look forward to getting more involved. I wish I could find a Farmgirl Chapter my area.

Coni

Farmgirl Sister #4938
Livin' the Life of Riley
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2023 :  5:00:32 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Today we had a surprise in our barn. I heard chicks peeping. We have two sets of plywood shelves on one side of the aisle of the barn. There is used wood waiting to be reused and in a jumble. I could not see where the hen was or her chicks. Later I went down and she had taken the chicks down to the feeding laying egg room. There were four. Later still we went down and heard a chick peeping in the wood pile. I found it and put it with its mother. Now she has five. I blocked the lower entrance to the room so they can not get out. Sometimes we lose chicks when their mother walks in the deep grass so I want them to get bigger before we let them out. The hen is very protective and looks mean when anyone goes near her chicks. It is late in the season to have chicks but we will do the best we can to keep them alive.

I pulled logs out of the woods today with my tractor. I made 15 trips and maybe got out three cord more or less. We sell it to help pay the land taxes and to supply our selves with firewood.

Have a good night.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 03 2023 :  5:07:03 PM  Show Profile
What I nice little surprise.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

240 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
240 Posts

Posted - Sep 04 2023 :  4:46:15 PM  Show Profile
Still hot in upstate SC.
I discovered that a tomato plant broke during a wind storm. My husband wrapped tape around broken stem. The tomatoes are too small to harvest
Grasshoppers taking over property. I should get the net and catch some. I'd have food to feed my pond frogs

Today's good mood brought to you by a lot of coffee!!!

Farmgirl #8548
FGOTM April 2023
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9253 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9253 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2023 :  07:10:07 AM  Show Profile
Holly, how sweet! We never had any hens hatch out chick's. We did have a setting hens but she never hatched any.
She wasn't very reliable.

Last week I was out in the gardens and noticed a white petunia had popped up. Not sure where it came from because we did have any. Also yesterday we spent time in the front garden weeding and there was a pink petunia, a morning glory and some other flower that all came from out of nowhere. I'm considering them little gifts!
We are still quite warm this week but it be cooling down co siderably by the end of the week.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2023 :  09:53:30 AM  Show Profile
Usually by this time of year, the temperatures suddenly drop as if the furnace has been shut off. Although the temperature is under 90 degrees, I do not feel the usual change in the air.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Sep 05 2023 :  5:59:47 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

Volunteer flowers how lucky you are.

Today was hotterin' blue blazes. Even early in the morning when I was cutting saplings to clear a path to the trees that were felled in the spring I was sweating so my shirt was wet. This afternoon we were pulling trees out with the tractor. In the woods it was pleasant. In the field it was blazing. Tomorrow more of the same. NOT complaining at all it could be raining. It used to be that we had a frost by now and the growing season would be done for the fragile plants. Not this year.

We had Special Olympics track and field practice tonight. It was hot walking the track so we did not do a lot of running. The sun went down and the breeze picked up. We went for ice cream sandwiches on the way home. A nice treat.

Sweet dreams,

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

criley
True Blue Farmgirl

85 Posts

Connie
Eldon MO
USA
85 Posts

Posted - Sep 27 2023 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sisterhood!!
In addition to Farmgirls, are there any P.E.O. members seeing this post? I belong to a chapter in Jefferson City, MO.

Coni

Farmgirl Sister #4938
Livin' the Life of Riley
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2023 :  2:36:33 PM  Show Profile
I do not know what P.E.O. stands for. It is not an organization I recognize here in the Northeast.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Oct 01 2023 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile
PEO stands for Philanthropic Educational Organization.

"The P.E.O. Sisterhood (Philanthropic Educational Organization) is a U.S.-based international women's organization of about 230,000 members, with a primary focus on providing educational opportunities for female students worldwide. The Sisterhood is headquartered in Des Moines, Iowa, with chapters throughout the United States and Canada. Among other projects, it owns and supports Cottey College, an independent college for women in Nevada, Missouri."

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9253 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9253 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2023 :  06:26:03 AM  Show Profile
My volunteer petunias are still going strong. It looks like the pink ones may have been touched by our light frost though.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 20 2023 :  6:44:19 PM  Show Profile
Good evening everyone,

After a balmy October we have finally dipped below freezing and are getting snow. Not a lot but enough to remind us to get our last minute preparations for winter finished.

I still have to hang a window quilt over the french doors and another window or two.
Then we will be set. The wood is in, the hay is in and the animals that were going are in the freezer. We are set well as set as we will be.

I hope everyone has a nice holiday and stays safe.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2209 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2209 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2023 :  03:06:16 AM  Show Profile
The weather is chilly here too and the dogs didn't stay out long in the morning rain. Yesterday we sent off the Thanksgiving newspaper to be printed and today we mail it out. The turkey is in the fridge and my daughter and mother-in-law will be with us on Thanksgiving.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2209 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2209 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2023 :  03:08:29 AM  Show Profile
Shameless plug for the December Tea Swap I'm hosting!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Nov 21 2023 :  09:22:20 AM  Show Profile
I will be going to visit my mother and father in Wisconsin. I am only taking the dog with me so that I can stay more than one night. My parents are elderly and I want to spend more time with them. My dog likes it out in the country and she always goes out on the road which I do not like.

Marie
Sister #5142

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Nov 23 2023 :  2:53:23 PM  Show Profile
We had 13 people for Thanksgiving. That number is a little deceptive because we have ten people in the house now. Our youngest has a friend whose family unit is in severe disarray and he is with us now. I do not know for how long. He seems like a nice young man who is shy and quiet.

Have a nice evening.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2023 :  09:16:54 AM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

Three Mondays in a row we woke to enough snow to have school canceled. Two of those Mondays we woke to no electricity. Some people did not have electricity the third Monday as well. We have an automatic generator so when the power goes out it comes on. We have had it about three years now. We should have invested in it decades ago. I like its convenience but its noise is too loud in the night for me. It was placed close to the electric box but outside. It is beneath my bedroom window. That kind of noise seems to not bother some people but it makes me crazy.

The snow makes the landscape quite lovely. If we can not have pretty flowers or pretty leaves we should have pretty snow and we do.The trees are draped with flounces of white white snow.

Today the sun is shining. Last night the stars were so brilliant I could see them without my glasses.

Have a good day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Betty J.
True Blue Farmgirl

1402 Posts

Betty
Pasco WA
USA
1402 Posts

Posted - Dec 12 2023 :  09:59:32 AM  Show Profile
Holly, such a lovely post. When my sister and I were at her home in Wenatchee last week, we had our first snow. It was gone in two days, just in time for our trip baci to Pasco, WA. We are now in the gloomy stage of our winter. There is constant overcast and light outside is at a minimum, such that my front door light doesn't go off. This time of year will yield to spring planting and planting for same.

Since I was sick much of this year, I have been watching videos of gardening and have come up with some idea--container planting in 5-gallon buckets. I know it is going to be such fun.

Betty in Pasco
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page