Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2023 :  6:28:43 PM  Show Profile

As I get closer to 70 in a few more years I have been thinking of all my wonderful Farmgirl Sisters and friends in there 70’s and 80’s. The Wisdom they have, the stories and memories they have to share, I want to hear their stories and listen to any memories and wisdom they want to share with all of us. How special will it be to get to know these wonderful women so much better. In our Wildflower HH we have a very special older lady who has been sharing her stories with me and others for years. I told her she needs to write her memories and stories down in a journal now to share with family and friends later. She told me she did not think anyone would be interested. I told her gently that I thought she was wrong as I want to hear about her life and I know others will too. It is important, it is history, it is love, it is caring all rolled in to one.
So, please all of us 60 and over share your stories with us, I for one want to hear them. I will never be too old to learn something new and offer any wisdom you have.
Then here it will be in MaryJanes History for others to read for years to come.
Thank you Beautiful Ladies.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  03:25:59 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, a great idea! I hope we read lots of stories, and maybe write a few lol.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  05:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Thank you Debbie for giving us a place to share our memories and what we are doing now.

I'm 81 and for the last twenty years I have been blessed to have known positive, energic, and full of life older women. They taught me that being old is a fact of life but thinking old is a chosen attitude.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 & Feb 2019

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  06:38:00 AM  Show Profile
In 2015 MaryJane posted this video and later Debbie reminded us of it so it's time to view it again.

Yodel Older YOU!!

http://www.sunnyskyz.com/happy-videos/736/The-Older-Ladies-Anthem-I-LOVE-This-#8CpEkWRMbfCCcDDl.01

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  07:41:12 AM  Show Profile
Sara, that was Priceless! I laughed till I cried and it sure the heck made my day! I tell you I will be smiling all day long, just so darn cute! Thank you for sharing the link again with us.
I believe our thread will be Amazing!!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  07:52:53 AM  Show Profile
I don't fit into this age group yet, but I want you all to know that I LOVE hearing your life experiences. There is so much knowledge to be gained by listening. So I hope you don't mind but I plan to pop on from time to time and listen :)

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  07:58:46 AM  Show Profile
You my sweet Heather are always welcome as are all Farmgirls.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  08:55:17 AM  Show Profile
I know too that we will get some funny stories and memories as well. I can not wait!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  08:58:50 AM  Show Profile
How fun would it be if when you share a story, memory or anything that strikes your fancy you add a photo. Any photo at all, then we can imagine you in your memory.
What do you think?

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  09:50:24 AM  Show Profile
Great idea Debbie. Thanks for the link Sara. I remember seeing that when MaryJane had posted it and I had put it on my facebook page. I just watched it again and it still makes me laugh and smile!

Older ladies are divine!
Dawn in IL

First you dream
Then you do
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2023 :  4:46:38 PM  Show Profile
That was really funny, Sarah! Thank you for sharing....I had never seen it before. I think this thread is going to bring a lot of joy and I'm looking forward to listening to stories and sharing in the wisdom and fun! Heather, I HOPE you will stop in often!!! Your stories are always good!!!

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  08:11:44 AM  Show Profile
It's heating up here in north central Texas and it got me thinking about the summer I picked cotton. I was either ten or eleven that summer and it was as hot as I have ever seen it. I pulled that huge burlap sack up and down those long, long rows from sun-up to sun-down. Picked cotton till I had blisters on my fingers. Got up the next morning and did it all over again. I earned about a dollar a day, I wasn't a very good cotton picker, but that summer I learned a lot about what I wanted to do and what I didn't want to do. I never picked cotton again, the next summer I baby sat. Made more money and I stayed cool while I was doing it. I know there are many hard jobs but for me cotton picking is at the top of my list.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  1:28:53 PM  Show Profile
Oh Sara, I could not imagine picking cotton in such heat or that age. But, I think I would try it at least once too, but babysitting so much better!
Thank you for sharing I know you probably have many more stories to share and I look forward to everyone’s.
I have been keeping a journal since our military days, I started in 1976 as a young wife and mom. It was our first time I had every been out of my hometown of St. Louis Missouri. I knew I was heading for the adventure of a lifetime and I wanted to remember it all and pass down those memories to our son. I am 68 now and I still keep a journal of our lives!
And I would not change a thing!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  2:00:45 PM  Show Profile
Debbie, I know re-reading your journals brings you joy. I have tried journaling several times, but my talents lay elsewhere.

Go to Top of Page

nndairy
True Blue Farmgirl

2994 Posts

Heather
Wapakoneta Ohio
USA
2994 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  6:23:44 PM  Show Profile
Sara - reading your story reminded me of my grandpa. He grew up a dairy farmer. Started out sitting on a stool milking cows by hand. They also used to farm the land with mules. A couple years before he passed away my husband and I took him to an open house on a dairy farm that just put in robotic milkers. He stood there for over half an hour just watching it work. On the way home I asked him if he ever thought he's see the day robots did the milking. He said "you know as a kid you dream about stuff like that when your sitting on the stool using your hands to milk, but no. Never thought I'd see it in real life!" I think it would be amazing if you could go ride in a cotton picking machine (with AC) and see how far cotton picking has come.

I'd love to hear from everyone what are some of the things that technology has changed from when you were young. And what do you miss that isn't done in today's time like it was "back then?"

~Heather
Farmgirl Sister #4701
September 2014 Farmgirl of the Month

"The purpose of life is to enjoy every moment" - Yogi teabag
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4719 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4719 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  05:38:24 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I can't imagine being out in the southern heat picking the prickly cotton. I agree babysitting was the much better option to make money. I used to babysit 4 kids for $1 an hour. They were quite a handful and there were times I didn't think it was worth that $1 an hour. Heather I have seen the robotic milking machines on New Scandinavian Cooking Show and was amazed how they did the job so quickly and efficiently. Definitely a back saver for the dairy farmers!

Keep sharing everyone!
Dawn in IL

First you dream
Then you do
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4111 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4111 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  05:55:07 AM  Show Profile
great stories. I just turned 13 when we moved to the dairy farm. My dad was on the farm on and off through his life, and then he purchased a dairy farm. It was down the road from "the home place". The farm his grandparents and bought in 1911. Ma and dad were starting to move into that farm house, and the house burnt down. So it was probably another 6 years or so, and they purchased a farm close by. I think my dad saw the biggest changes in technology on the farm. He started using horses, then they got a tractor. On the farm in WI, we had an Oliver 77, a M and a H. Then dad bought a Ford 4000. I remember his saying he thought he had the world by the a%$. lol We have the Ford tractor yet and use it, and we have a JD 6410. 4 wheel drive, ac, heat. Lots of stories and hard work in my lifetime for sure.

Farming in WI

Michele
FGOTM June2019

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  07:10:33 AM  Show Profile
Heather, what a gift you gave your grandpa. I can picture him standing there taking it all in.

Michelle, my daddy raised watermelons with a team of mules. From horses and mules to A/C tractors there's a lot of history in-between.

Dawn, I baby sat for fifty cents an hour. You're right a lot better than picking cotton. My 14th summer I stayed with a woman in her late 80s. Didn't think about it at the time but she must have been born at the end of the Civil War or soon after. Mrs. Davis wasn't into story telling so I never heard her story. Maybe she had just seen and lived through so much change that she didn't want to remember much less talk about it. She has seen the aftermath of the Civil War, lived through WWI, the depression, and WWII.

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2023 :  08:37:20 AM  Show Profile
4th of July memories.

My earliest memories are on the farm where the only fireworks we had were sparklers. We had them for the 4th and New Year's Eve. I haven't had sparklers in years but they are by far my favorite fireworks. Other fireworks may be bigger and more spectacular but there's nothing like holding a sparkler in your hand and waving it around.

Another memory is the year we were at the Cotton Bowl for the 4th of July fireworks. I must have been 8 or 9 and they were wonderful. Back then cotton and football were kings. I guess football still is. The Cotton Bowl is on the grounds where the Texas State Fair is held in Oct. A lot of history on those grounds. My favorite building is the Texas History building with a statue of a lone Texas Ranger standing out front with the inscription "One Riot One Ranger". Back in the early days of the Texas Rangers one Ranger did stop a riot. I know I got a little off track but that's the thing about memories you never know where they will take you.

Edited by - YellowRose on Jul 01 2023 08:39:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2023 :  09:30:53 AM  Show Profile
Happy July.
Oh I love the sparklers too Sara, they are quiet and do not scare FurBabies!
I love all the memories and I envision what the time was like through you. Some have lots of memories and there are some who have none, but enjoy others memories so thank you.
Happy 4th.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2208 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2208 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2023 :  3:01:27 PM  Show Profile

This is a maybe 5 year old me, sitting on the front steps of my paternal grandparents home in North Dakota. My grandpa grew wheat, raised cattle and pigs. He also liked horses and had a mule named Sarge. We visited in the summer and enjoyed helping gather eggs, pick peas in the garden, ride bikes when we were older, and play Mousetrap.One summer when we were there, the first man landed on the moon and I remember my grandmother wondering when they'd go out of the capsule. My uncle replied, "They can't just open the door!"
My grandma would make kolache (they were Czech, spoke it among themselves, and my dad often broke into naughty words when upset).
I was a greedy child, and found a stash of Butterfingers in a closet. I stuffed one in my mouth, then visitors dropped by. We were sitting in their car because it was raining, and I could not speak because my mouth was full!

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

764 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
764 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2023 :  4:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Vanessa, that is an adorable picture of you:). I loved your story…I felt like I was right there with you.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jul 01 2023 :  4:51:49 PM  Show Profile
It is a real sweet photo of you Vanessa and I love your memory too.
Sara, do you have a photo from when you were a little girl?

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6449 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6449 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2023 :  5:39:11 PM  Show Profile
Under across the fence Winnie started a thread about farm kitchens and aprons. Such an interesting topic so check it out!

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

VT Oma
True Blue Farmgirl

325 Posts

Sheila
Greensboro Vermont
USA
325 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2023 :  6:37:57 PM  Show Profile
I'm 62 years young. I can remember being a young kid having Tang orange mix, thinking this stuff is great for breakfast, does anyone know what size the juice glasses were back then, I found this narrow glass pitcher with Tang inscribed on it and would like to look for the correct size to go with it. Does anyone else remember drinking Tang?

VT Oma
Sheila
Farmgirl #5766

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6816 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6816 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2023 :  7:26:06 PM  Show Profile
Sheila, I remember Tang. The juice glasses I remember were narrow and 8 oz or less. I've shopped for vintage kitchen items for years and have never seen a Tang pitcher. That's quite a treasure.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Gathered Up:  60 and Over Farmgirls Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page