Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  04:25:07 AM  Show Profile
Ooh, Holly I shuddered when you described the black flies around your face. When I was a girl scout leader we were at a campground that had no see 'ums. Some leaders wore light mesh hoods or body suis. The ticks are out and about here in KY. I always check the dogs but one or two slip by, especially on my Rose.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6447 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6447 Posts

Posted - May 19 2023 :  09:05:06 AM  Show Profile
Such a cute little dog Vanessa.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 20 2023 :  03:38:17 AM  Show Profile
She is cute but she ain't little! I have to be careful when I walk her if the land slopes down. She's pulled me through the grass like I was body surfing.
This morning when I let her out she barked at a possum that was on the other side of the fence. The possum was growling a little but wasn't moving.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 20 2023 :  2:11:28 PM  Show Profile
Good evening,

The no see'ums are not out yet. I do have a couple of net hats that I found at a yard sale. I have a net suit also. Some body used them for fly fishing. I am glad to have them.

We have seresto collars on our dogs. They are pricey but they keep the ticks and fleas off. One of our dogs is a husky golden mix and has lots of fur. I could not imagine trying to find ticks on him. the collars last 6 months that is the whole season here.

Overcast today.

A couple of days ago I put my chainsaw in a safe place while I worked at pulling a log out of the forest. The log became stuck behind a live tree so I moved the tractor to a new angle and hit my saw with the rear tire that has the spiked chain on it. The chainsaw would not start, the case was cracked. The repair man laughed when I told him how I broke it. I picked it up today. It was less than half the price of purchasing a new saw. I was lucky. I will try to be more careful the next time.

The cherry trees both wild and domestic are in full bloom. They are very pretty. The apple trees are starting to blossom. We had a frost night before last so I hope it did not affect the crop too much.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

238 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
238 Posts

Posted - May 21 2023 :  3:56:46 PM  Show Profile
Baby lotion helps repel skeeters and no see ums. You can use any brand, be sure your don't buy baby oil.
Apply often.

Today's good mood brought to you by coffee

Farmgirl #8548
FGOTM April 2023
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17023 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17023 Posts

Posted - May 21 2023 :  4:10:32 PM  Show Profile
Yep, skeeters are out and about and my poor hubby is their snack of choice!

As for Ticks,, dang!!! because we have deer, foxes, coyotes on our property we have to check ourselves as well as our pup for Ticks before coming into the house..
I recently saw a post about checking the dog's gums too for ticks... thank goodness they have a short season here where I live.

>^..^<
Happiness is being a katmom and Glamping Diva!
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  04:21:15 AM  Show Profile
EEEWWWWW the idea of ticks on the dog's gums is nasty. I would not have thought to do that.

Sunshine so far today. I will be in the woods this morning so a check will happen at lunch time.

Enjoy your day.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Audra Rose
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

Vanessa
Brooksville KY
USA
2206 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  05:06:18 AM  Show Profile
A warm sunny day in Northern Kentucky. I've been walking the dogs in the morning before it gets too hot.

Vanessa
Farmgirl Sister #6754
Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

238 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
238 Posts

Posted - May 22 2023 :  05:18:24 AM  Show Profile
Hot day in Sc too. Finally a sunrise, sure was pretty. The colors were a pink, magenta and peach. Weather guy never mentioned chance of storms. Hmm I say we'll get one, since sunrise was pink-magenta. Or maybe just a rain shower next day or so. Past 11 days mornings either rainy or cloudy.
That time of year to walk early, heat will force me inside for sweet tea. Also need to get into garden early to see what is going on.
A black bear broke/smashed my bird feeders. :( I know 1 was seen last month by neighbors nest camera.

Today's good mood brought to you by coffee

Farmgirl #8548
FGOTM April 2023
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - May 24 2023 :  04:04:41 AM  Show Profile
Good morning,

We have big notices on the radio, TV and newspapers before April first to take down birdfeeders because the bear are coming out of hibernation. Some people comply and some do not and then there are stories about what happens to the people's porches and garages because they welcome the bear.

Our friend, Cora died several years ago. She knew she was dying and told everyone that they would know she was present when they woke in the morning and the sky was pink. Cora was a fine artist, poet and compassionate woman. So, now when the sunrise is spectacular we know Cora is watching out for us.

Yesterday, temperatures were in the 60's with sunshine and a light breeze. Today it is overcast with a chance of rain. We could use the rain the ground is dry and there are forest fire warnings.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  12:26:52 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

Last night in the shower I felt a tick on my back. It creeped me out. It was not a disease carrying tick but still......

Temperatures are in the eighties for a few more days. it is unusual for this early in the season. It would be good if we had a bit of rain.

The weather guessers said that we should smell the smoke from the fires in NOva Scotia early in the morning here. I have not but the sunrises have been pretty.

The cows spend most of their days in the cool of the aisle of the barn. Josie is due the end of this month. I would like twins but that is not likely. A healthy calf would be good.

The fox is winnowing down our flock of chickens. The roosters are not any good at protecting the hens. I have failed fencing 101, 201 and 301 so it would be good if the hens could run into the barn to be safe.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Jun 01 2023 :  5:21:40 PM  Show Profile
I hate ticks. We aren't in an area where they are prevalent anymore.

We need rain. It has been very dry. The grass is turning brown quickly. It seems all it did in March and April was rain, now there isn't a drop in sight.

We had a couple resident fox that seemed to think we had a restaurant going just for them. We lost many of our hens to them no matter how snug we made the hens.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/

Edited by - levisgrammy on Jun 01 2023 5:22:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2023 :  12:57:27 PM  Show Profile
Good afternoon,

Today has been overcast and cool. A fine day to work out in the yard and fields.

We have Seresto collars for our dogs. They are expensive but last six months. So, they cover the fleas and the ticks. We have a husky golden cross with long thick fur so checking is nearly impossible. I cut his fur last week. Not really short but short enough to take off the matted fur. He looks sort of rough now but a lot cleaner.

The guineas chased off the fox a bit ago. I do not want to shoot it but it needs to find a new restaurant.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  7:07:04 PM  Show Profile
We have had it overcast here for a few days. For a while everyone was wondering where the rain was, but we found it the last week here! It's not bad. Rain at night, nice during the day.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2023 :  8:35:09 PM  Show Profile
In my neck of the woods, we’ve had typical summer weather. Temps in the low 90s and little wind. :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  05:00:54 AM  Show Profile
We haven't had any 90s recently. I think we've had maybe one day the beginning of June we hit 90 but that is all. I think the rains are keeping it cool and everyone's garden seem to be flourishing.
It has been a busy summer for us so far. We have our eldest granddaughter here with us for the summer. She's only been with us 2 days but has some things she wants to learn. I am happy to oblige her!

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  05:01:25 AM  Show Profile
Today and for the last few days it has rained and been overcast. Not complaining.

Our cow is due to birth, well, tomorrow is her due date. Her bag is huge. Her daughter nurses sometimes. Milly is 17 months old. I am surprised Josie has not kicked her in the head to make her stop. But, her taking what she does keeps Josie's udder from becoming too engorged. Josie will have enough for the new calf whose name should begin with an "N".

Do you ever read the articles about people who find houses that are abandoned with all of the belongings intact? I wonder what someone would think of my house. Too much stuff.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  05:04:52 AM  Show Profile
and now since I posted the last message just a minute or so ago.

Usually we see the clouds moving from west to east. Now with the fires in Canada it seems the wind in moving north to south. Sometimes in the winter we have a nor'easter come and dump feet of snow. Sometimes we have hurricane remains come up the coast and give us a lot of rain. This rain and air quality is coming from the north. Just seems unusual.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  09:19:04 AM  Show Profile
Holly, I didn't realize the fires were still going on.
A new farm baby! I hope you share a picture or two with us.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

churunga
True Blue Farmgirl

3919 Posts

Marie
Minneapolis MN
USA
3919 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2023 :  09:34:07 AM  Show Profile
The air quality in Minneapolis has been greatly affected by the fires in Ontario. I can sometimes smell burning as if it is very close. My eyes are itchy and my throat gets sore. Some people are unable to go outside and when they do, wear masks. I am keeping my original cloth masks handy in case I need them.

Marie
Sister #5142
Farmgirl of the Month May 2014

Try everything once and the fun things twice.
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2023 :  03:52:35 AM  Show Profile
Here are Nugget's pictures.

Holly
farmgirl #2499

Edited by - Tall Holly on Jul 07 2023 03:53:33 AM
Go to Top of Page

Jokamartell
True Blue Farmgirl

1418 Posts

Karen
Kennewick WA
USA
1418 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2023 :  6:49:42 PM  Show Profile
Awwwwwww…so sweet! :)

Karen :)

To quote one of my past preschoolers “Not one of those Karens, but a good Karen”! Haha
Go to Top of Page

Tall Holly
True Blue Farmgirl

2305 Posts

Holly
Worcester Vermont
USA
2305 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2023 :  1:24:19 PM  Show Profile
It is hot here but, it is supposed to be it is summer. Day two without rain. Montpelier is finally getting cleaned up. Most of the refuse piles are gone. It is sad because most of the stores are empty. I do not know how many businesses will reopen.

I have taken and will take my tractor again to drag the gravel that washed to the bottom of people's driveways and fill in the valleys the rain created. I was doing it and then one of the front tires on my tractor leaked the air out. The tires are only about 20 years old so we did get our cost per use out of them. haha

Nice to have a day or two without rain.

Holly
farmgirl #2499
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9242 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9242 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2023 :  04:19:39 AM  Show Profile
Holly,
sweet photos! What is the clean from? Have you had storms there?

We still occasionally are seeing that smoky haze here. Sometimes it rains and clears it away. I can't imagine what it is like closer to Canada.

~Denise
Sister #43~1/18/2007

Go to Top of Page

lovecatsandsunshine
True Blue Farmgirl

238 Posts

Tara
Sands of Time SC
USA
238 Posts

Posted - Aug 01 2023 :  08:00:47 AM  Show Profile
Not as humid as yesterday in Easley SC. 1/4 inch of rain was welcome as out back yard grass is dead in spots. Fescue doesn't like the heat but I like that this grass won't go dormant in winter. There are 6 hummingbirds now. 3 are new to me. I enjoying watching them feed and chase each other. There are 4 feeders but they all want to feed from 1, silly creatures.

Today's good mood brought to you by a lot of coffee!!!

Farmgirl #8548
FGOTM April 2023
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 408 Gathered Up: Previous Topic Over 50 Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page