Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Magazine: Call for Entries
 HomeSafeHome
 ideas for training my *un-trainable dog*
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic ideas for training my *un-trainable dog* Next Topic
Page: of 2

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  09:42:37 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Ok guys. This year we bought a beautiful new home. We just got a 1year old chiuaua from the breeder. I have had a Chiuaua for all my adult life. When I picked him up, they said he was *house broken* and *pad trained* as well. I have had him a few months. The first two days, he did well. THEN....oh my gosh...I hate potty pads. They are gross, but I'll make an exception on really rainy days. This puppy is sooo sweet. He is smart, obedient, friendly, extremely cuddily, and insists on peeing in the house. I gave in and tried the pads, he shreds them. I take him out every 20-30 min. I've tried rewards for everytime he goes potty outside, and I've even tried a little swat when I catch him piddeling inside. I have four kids, and myself and my DH are in love with this dog, but, I can't fix this problem. A week from this monday, we are scheduled to have over 2000 sq ft of new carpet installed!!!! That is a lot of new carpet to pee on.... help, please. Any suggestions would be hugely appreciated.

The tears I shed then, watered the flowers I harvest now.

http://broken908.blogspot.com

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  11:00:43 AM  Show Profile
Wish I had an answer for you. We had to get rid of a beagle dog because of this very issue.

Do what you love, love what you do.
Go to Top of Page

Fiddlehead Farm
True Blue Farmgirl

4562 Posts

Diane
Waupaca WI
USA
4562 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  4:07:36 PM  Show Profile
I saw an episode of "It's Me or the Dog", with some girls that all had small dogs that wanted to pee in the house. Victoria got them one of those doggy pee pads that has artificial turf and a tray beneath it and is easy to clean. I will look for a link to it and post it. Found it! http://www.porchpotty.com/?utm_source=MSN&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Sixth_Phase_(Old)

http://studiodiphotosite.shutterfly.com/
farmgirl sister #922

Happy to be a "Raggedy Ann" in a Barbie World!

I get up every morning determined to both change the world and have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning my day difficult.
- E. B. White

Edited by - Fiddlehead Farm on Jan 29 2011 4:08:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Ms.Lilly
True Blue Farmgirl

826 Posts

Lillian
Scotts Mills OR
USA
826 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  7:04:13 PM  Show Profile
We just brought an unaltered male stray into the house. Since I have to wait 30 days until I can have him neutered I was worried about him marking his territory in the house. The vet's solution-put a maxi pad on his **** and then place a belly band on him. Appparently male dogs don't care to pee on themselves. This really helped our situation. Since I didn't have a belly band we just used an ace bandage to hold the pad on. Hope this helps.
Go to Top of Page

Beverley
True Blue Farmgirl

2707 Posts

Beverley
atlanta Michigan
USA
2707 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  7:10:16 PM  Show Profile
is he crate trained? if not he needs to be. he is put in there and make sure it is not a very big one. dogs do not like to pee where they sleep.. when he comes out he goes right outside. watch to make sure he goes. then and only then can he come in to the regular house and play. if not he goes back into the crate and in a little while he goes back out before he can play inside. try that and see if it helps...

Folks will know how large your soul is by the way you treat a dog....Charles F. Doran
beverley baggett
Beverley with an extra E...
https://sites.google.com/site/bevsdoggies/
http://bevsdoggies.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  8:26:08 PM  Show Profile
We had potty training issues with the only dog we didn't crate train. She eventually got it, but it was not a fun process! Another idea is if you are tearing out the old carpet put a couple coats of Kilz or another type of sealer on the floors before the new carpets go in. This will help keep the smell from coming up through the new carpets. We put laminate floors in a few years ago and after we tore out the carpets I put 2 coats of Kilz down since we had previously had a golden retriever with bladder issues. She never got over the 'puppy' issue of piddling when new people came over... We've potty trained 2 dogs since then and haven't had nearly the issues we had before, plus the crate training really does help also.

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Jessi Lynn
True Blue Farmgirl

144 Posts

New York
USA
144 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  9:18:34 PM  Show Profile
Is he fixed? That will help. And like Beverley and Sherbear said crate train or confine him to a specific area located in the 'hub' of the house, so he doesn't feel left out.
Does he give you signals before he goes inside? Like sniffing, pacing-does he have a favorite spot to go? How are you cleaning the mess. Sometimes even after cleaning there's still traces that they can pick up on a want to go there. When you take him out do you watch and make sure he's actually going-my aunt had a dog who continually wanted to go and patrol the yard and got so busy with her job she forgot to get down to business. Try a pee post in the yard to give a specfic potty area to encourage him to go. When he's in the act of going maybe try a phrase so when he hears it he know to get down to business.
Do you put the pee pads in a tray-the trays secure the pads to keep the mess in. It'll be harder to destroy the pads in a tray.
There's also a spray to attract them to a specific spot to go-you could spray the pads. (www.drfostersmith.com) Nature's Miracle house breaking spray.
I don't think swatting will do much. It doesn't really tell him what he's supposed to do. When you catch him take him right outside even if he's done his business.
Whatever you try to do keep consistent and don't give up!
Good Luck!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  9:53:05 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Thanks so very much for the advice and links! I'm eating these ideas up. I have not had this kind if trouble before. No, hes not fixed yet. I clean up any mess with pet stain and user remover, I think the maker us Hoover. I want to make sure you all didn't get the impression I beat my dog.:( I don't spank my children, and I try redirection with the kids and the dogs. If I see him pee, I grab him and we run outside. I did try a little swat, mostly out if frustration, but poor dog HAS to pee, so I regretted it...
He hasn't found a favorite spot, and he spends the entire day sniffing around, its strange. He never poops inside, and he will run to the door and bark til you let him out, but he somehow got it in his head he is to pee in the house...
I was trying to avoid crate training, because all of my little ones tend to let the dogs out, but it looks like ill have to get the crate out.
Than you all for your input.(((hugs)))

http://broken908.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jan 30 2011 :  06:07:27 AM  Show Profile
We had a dog like that did everything the dog had to go but for you I would do the crate training.For some dogs it just works you never know whoever you got the dog from may have had it in a crate and did not tell you.Check out the Dog Whisper www.cesarsway.com

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  1:33:40 PM  Show Profile
Ok - STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! You are heading in the right direction but the dog has been trained by you and the breeder to pee in the house by using the mats. The question is where do you want him to pee/poop? The answer? Outside. Number one do not swat the dog when it pee's....that is not positive reinforcement. I have assisted in training guide dogs and dog for the disabled so believe me I know what I am talking about. (Guide Dogs for the Blind and Indiana Canine Assistant Network) Stay away from Cesar too. Search on youtube for positive reinforcement or for clicker training for this topic.
I do not mean to offend anyone or their suggestions. I totally understand your frustration and have been in your shoes. Swatting him for peeing is telling him that peeing is bad. Wouldn't you run and hide to do something that you get swatted for? There is no association that is positive with the act. So what do you do? #1 crate him when you are not watching him. Let him loose and you don't get to be positive when he pees outside. As soon as ANYONE!!! (you have to train your kids and husband) takes him out of the crate, IMMEDIATELY take him outside and yes somebody must go with him. EVERYTIME! He pee's - you treat him with a high value treat but make it small and give him a command - we use "do your business" or "hurry"....so he associates that command with 'the act'. Postive praise and a lots of it. If he pees in the house, DO NOT SCOLD HIM. Simply pick him up (hopefully in the act) and take him outside - NO NEGATIVE PLEASE. When he pee's OUTSIDE - treat and praise. #2 - Give him less freedom. Buy a long light weight line (clothesline works for larger dogs) about 6 feet. That gives you an idea where he is at all times in the house. If you have to, tie him to you. Or use gates and restrict his access to your entire house until you can trust him. The goal is to keep him in sight so he does not have an accident. The kids play with him for a bit then take him outside AGAIN. Overall, he has to have an association with the behavior and it has to be POSITIVE! Lastly, I have never worked with an organization that recommends or would permit us to use pee pads. You want them to go outside then they go outside...and you go with them in all types of weather. There in not a half-way point/pad. It is hard with kids, hard to do in the winter, but if anything please follow suggestion #1 and don't give up. It will take time but it will work. Repeat repeat repeat...then positive..positive...reinforce....reinforce....reinforce...but keep it all positive. Hope it helps...I will try to find a video from one of the trainers I work with and see if I can share it.

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page

Daizy
True Blue Farmgirl

992 Posts

Daizy
Talladega Alabama
USA
992 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  4:23:35 PM  Show Profile
Hay Ya'll

Yep, Melissa is right, no pads...outside all the time in all types of weather. Keep the coat at the door with the flash light and the leash. Also, positive is great but dogs don't know what words you are speaking so make it a "singing" praise...thats right, gush, sugar sweet, and cute-zy cute-zy (its ok to make a fool of yourself here because the dog will understand from your attitude what is good) on the same token....when the dog has done wrong go the other way with your tone/voice/attitude and show your disapproval that way only in reverse. Don't strike out at the dog but show your approval or disapproval to the extremes....Try it and you will actually see how he understands. I'm so glad you got a dog - it makes the whole family WHOLE...and every kid should have a pet. They will learn compassion and somuch more.

So whats his/her name? I have a long haired chihuaha named Butch and he grew up with 7 other dogs, both large and small. I think he beleives he is a Laborador Retreiver. We just love him!

Love and Prayer,
Daizy

PHR Farmgirl #1093
A good day is when you find ALL your ear tags! I wonder how my cows would like my Farmgirl apron??
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  5:09:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melissa,
Wow. Thank you for taking the time to write all of this. I am outing him in a kennel only at night right now. I like the idea of keeping him by me and we do say go potty, good potty, and give a treat when he goes outside. I started keeping him next to me all day yesterday, let's see how this goes...

www.broken908.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  6:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Daizy,
His name is Coyote (breeder given name) but we call him Oyote, as we like it better, and its easier to say. We have an English Pointer, who is outside 85+% of the time. In October if 2008, I had to put down my female chihuahua Phoebee. She and I were inseperable she had been hit by a car, and I had to dropped feed her, as she wouldn't eat or drink. She was MY BABY. Her injuries accrued weeks after a terrible miscarriage, and she got me out of bed every morning. About a year later we were pregnant together.6 weeks after the pups were born, she got pneumonia, and we had to say good bye. I am still finding it hard to bond with Oyote. He is amazingly sweet, and so very cute. I gave in when my breeder friend said she was going to "get rid of him", and my kids want another dog so badly. He is precious, he really is, I think I'm afraid to love him. In standing back, I think it affected his training. I'm opening up, honestly as of yesterday, and it really seems to already be helping. I'll keep y'all updated.

Go to Top of Page

SherBear
True Blue Farmgirl

77 Posts

Sherri
Mukwonago Wi
USA
77 Posts

Posted - Feb 01 2011 :  7:17:21 PM  Show Profile
I also read in one of our doggie training books that if you see them start to sniff around or squat that if you tuck their tail between their legs and carry them outside it will help keep them from peeing until you get them out and put them down. I don't know how well this would work with a boy puppy, but it worked great with the most recent puppy we trained, she was a dream to potty train! The only accidents she had was when my step-daughter (who is technically the 'owner' of the puppy) didn't pay enough attention to her when she was in the house.

http://sherrileesgarden.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  10:57:27 AM  Show Profile
Was thinking of you today as I watched my dogs slide across our iced yard. Keep up the positive attitude and bond with that puppy...you will both benefit! It is so hard to replace a dog you loved so much. I hope my suggestions will help. I really think poor little Oyote is totally confused since the pee mat was used, taken away, then told to go outside, wait let's use the pee mat again, wait why am I getting in trouble for peeing in the house - you just let me do it again on the mat, wait now you want me to go outside! Poor little guy. Just be consistent with one thing and be positive. Anyone need a great liver treat recipe? My dogs LOVE them.... Great way to use liver if you don't eat it yourself! If so, I will dig it out and post it!

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  05:14:19 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
Now y'all don't laugh, but both of my Boston Terriers are rescues, with my little girl Boston being from a puppy mill, and since she was bred so early, my little "leaky" girl wears diapers when she is inside. She lets me know when she has to go outside. My boy Boston is the one we are having trouble house training. He's quite the stubborn little gentleman!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  2:12:29 PM  Show Profile
How is it going????

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  3:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
So far, today is day two(not quite over) with no accidents!! Instead of a crate during the day, I leave a leash on him, and if he sniffs even once, or if its been an hour, we go outside, quick. I haven't needed to tie him to me, because for two days, now that I am showing him so much attention, he follows me everywhere, even to the restroom!! Lol. Where I go, he goes. I was up til 2:00am the other night watching YouTube videos in how to housebreak a dog. Don't know why I didn't think of that earlier, I love YouTube.
So far so good, girls!

Susan, I am the last person to laugh at you. We had an elderly rott who was also a rescue, and we diapered her. Then three years ago, after she got hit, we diapered my Phoebee. After her recovery, we continued to poke a hole in a diaper for her tail, and put it on when she would go into heat. I know all about diapering doggie. LOL- oops, no I am NOT laughing out loud, at all! ;)

http://forums.familyfriendpoems.com/broken908

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge

Edited by - Heartbroken farmgirl on Feb 06 2011 8:50:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  8:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Just an update. Little has gone 4 days, with only ONE accident. Even then, it was kinda my fault. I ran upstairs to shower when the little ones were napping, and didn't run him out first. I got out if the shower to find a puddle by my bedroom door. Oh well he is still doing great. Maybe it was I, not he who was harder to train?

"The aim of education is the knowledge not of facts but of values."-Dean William Ralph Inge
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Feb 09 2011 :  8:31:06 PM  Show Profile
Yippppeeee.....doing the country girl farmgirl happy dance for both of you! Clicking my heels together and smiling big! Glad to hear the GREAT NEWS! I think you both have it figured out now. Just remember if he starts going backwards - give a higher value treat and up the praise...or as some say...up the ante!

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  12:25:31 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melissa, you are too cute. That was fun to read. Thanks for all the great advice and encouragement!!

He really is a Cutie-bug. He has picked up a new strange habbit, not a bad one, just weird. He gets into the laundry basket, picks up one sock, only a sock, and lays down with it. Then after a few minutes, he goes back and grabs one sock, and lays down somewhere else with it. It is the funniest thing. I find socks all day long. Any clues and THIS quirky behaviour?? LOL

Go to Top of Page

AliciaNak
True Blue Farmgirl

405 Posts

Alicia
Elko Nevada
USA
405 Posts

Posted - Feb 10 2011 :  09:09:15 AM  Show Profile
Aww, the socks quirk sounds cute! Sounds like he needs a little snuggle blanket of his own, or perhaps a few of em.
I have had heelers for a long time and when I was training my "first son" Jack (brought him home when I was prego with my first boy, he truly thinks he's the oldest son!)I tied him to my belt loop. It made potty training him quite easy. If I was standing at the sink doing dishes he was told to sit/stay...and had no choice. Now I can be riding on my horse and tell him down/stay, ride off and he won't move until I call him.
Good Luck, he sounds like a doll!

Alicia
Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.~Ralph Waldo Emmerson
www.blondenak.blogspot.com
www.artfire.com/users/BlondeNakCreations
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 08 2011 :  7:01:36 PM  Show Profile
Long time but just checked this post....
Sock thing....hmmmm....well some will say that if you give them a sock then they will always take your socks. They should have toys or things that are only theirs so there is no problem knowing what is ok to play with and what is not. So, what would I do???? That is a tough one...I grew up recycling old socks for the dogs by putting tennis balls in them and knotting them at the middle. Great toy. Our dogs never ate our socks, they loved their socks with the ball in it. I guess I would find something....a special sock (unlike yours) or a blankie that is just his. If it becomes an issue then remove and redirect with a higher value toy he will focus on and make his. Hope that makes sense. He just needs to understand what is his and what is yours.

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page

Heartbroken farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

604 Posts

Annette
rio vista Ca
USA
604 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  07:51:05 AM  Show Profile  Send Heartbroken farmgirl a Yahoo! Message
Melissa,
Lol, yes long time...he doesn't chew the socks. He lovingly lays them down, sits or lays next to it for about a minute, then moves on to another puppy activity. It's cute, but I found socks in the back yard, in the garage, under the blankets in the beds...I hate folding socks. I had a basket of clean socks in the laundry room, and I made my family grab their own from there. We all lose socks. Oyote was not helping, so I now go ahead a match socks up and put them away. He doesn't like any toys we've given him. But will chew up any plastic toy of the kids they leave out. He is the sweetest little pain in the rear. It's a good thing there are so many of us to watch him, and stay on top of him! He just may be a work in progress for his lifetime. That's okay, do am I.

Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  8:48:32 PM  Show Profile
No laughing going on here...but if we could see pictures, maybe we could giggle a little bit at the diaper.
Thank you for rescuing your terriers....if anyone needs to know about the horrors of puppy mills please check out www.PetShopPuppies.org. Or take a look at the videos on youtube.com. If you educate yourself, you will never support a store in any way that sells puppies. It is horrifying that "man's best friend" is treated so horribly for one reason....money. (this is my opinion but if you disagree, please take a look at the facts).
Again...to Susan...thank you for giving these pups a happy life even if they have to wear diapers!

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page

FourSeasons
Farmgirl in Training

23 Posts

Melissa
Lizton Indiana
USA
23 Posts

Posted - Mar 09 2011 :  8:49:35 PM  Show Profile
Ok that last topic belonged further up....

One day at a time!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic ideas for training my *un-trainable dog* Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page