CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  11:57:12 AM  Show Profile
I have been working on going teflon free in my house for some time. I inherited a set of copper-bottom stainless steel pans from my hubby's family and have been slowly collecting cast-iron pots of various sizes for the past several years. My Christmas present to myself was a 6.5 quart cast iron kettle which rounded out my collection. Does anyone else mistrust teflon? Also, does anyone have suggestions for cookie sheets that aren't teflon coated?

Curly's Quilts
www.curlysquilts.etsy.com

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:05:56 PM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Sarah,
I went teflon free and use my cast iron on top of the stove as well as in the oven. I use Stainless Steel also. I also use my crockpots that are crocks and not teflon. I had very high end teflon but the minute they are scratched they become unsafe. I get alerts from our large hospital and I also do not reheat or heat anything in the microwave that is plastic. I have gone almost completely glass. I also never buy anything marked Made in China because of the high lead content found in the paint. Scarey!

Blessings and Peace,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

DNA doesn't make us sisters, Love does!

The road to a friends house is never to long!

Go to Top of Page

violetrose
True Blue Farmgirl

960 Posts

Ruth
Epworth GA
USA
960 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  2:42:35 PM  Show Profile
Hi Sarah, I bought large, jelly roll pans that I use for cookie sheets. I have had them for years, think they came from Costco. They are aluminum. I always use parchment paper on my baking sheets, whether making cookies or bread. I line my cake pans with waxed paper too. Always have. Hope this helps!
Hugs, Ruth

Farmgirl Sister # 1738

God loves each one of us as if there were only one of us!

St. Augustine
Go to Top of Page

MaggieMB
True Blue Farmgirl

217 Posts

Mary
western Pa
217 Posts

Posted - Jan 24 2011 :  9:21:05 PM  Show Profile
Those are some good tips! I am heading in that direction myself. I have always preferred iron skillets for most of my cooking, but I have a teflon coated slow cooker that I'm going to have a hard time giving up! MaggieMB
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  5:50:03 PM  Show Profile
pampered Chef has some really good quality cookie sheets. I love mine. I also use the stoneware for cookie baking.

farmgirl sister#43

O, a trouble's a ton or a trouble's an ounce,
Or a trouble is what you make it!
And it isn't the fact that you're hurt that counts,
But only--how did you take it?

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  6:28:45 PM  Show Profile
thanks Ruth for the jelly roll suggestion. I've heard bad stuff about aluminum too, but I'm not as paranoid about it as teflon. And of course, using parchment paper would help that.

Denise, I love Pampered Chef stuff! But I make cookies ALL the time, like every other week, and I make them in big batches (usually no less that four dozen at a time) so the stone sheets have seemed a bit impractical since I would need 4-5 just to make one batch. My storage shelf would probably bow under that kind of weight! :)

Curly's Quilts

“He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the LORD require of you? To act justly and to love mercy and to walk humbly with your God.” - Micah 6:8

Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Jan 26 2011 :  11:48:02 PM  Show Profile
Congratuulations Sarah!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

Ingrid
True Blue Farmgirl

432 Posts

Ingrid
BC
Canada
432 Posts

Posted - Jan 27 2011 :  07:47:23 AM  Show Profile
I only have one teflon frying pan and four cookie sheets. I line my cookie sheets with parchment so the food doesn't actually touch the surface. Once there is a scratch I will get rid of these and replace them with non teflon. I also never use plastic in the microwave and am slowly using glass instead of plastic as well.

Give thanks to yourself everyday for all the wonderful things you do!
Go to Top of Page

LucyLobo511
True Blue Farmgirl

177 Posts

Mari-lyn
Capron IL
USA
177 Posts

Posted - Jan 28 2011 :  06:35:55 AM  Show Profile
I went teflon free 15 years ago I only use Stainless steal,Cast iron, Stone. You will never miss the Teflon. Cooking with Teflon also kills household birds Strange huh?

Insane and Blissfully Happy
Go to Top of Page

prariehawk
True Blue Farmgirl

2914 Posts

Cindy

2914 Posts

Posted - Jan 29 2011 :  4:04:21 PM  Show Profile
I haven't used teflon in years and years. I have pet birds and Teflon, when heated, gives off fumes that are deadly to birds but undetectable by humans. I use cast iron or aluminum. I have a cookie sheet made of tin that works very well. Teflon is also found in some irons, curling irons, and other places where you wouldn't expect it.
Cindy

"Vast floods can't quench love, no matter what love did/ Rivers can't drown love, no matter where love's hid"--Sinead Connor
"In many ways, you don't just live in the country, it lives inside you"--Ellen Eilers

Visit my blog at http://www.farmerinthebelle.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Feb 02 2011 :  11:02:47 AM  Show Profile
This is a hot topic at our house. My husband loves his teflon. It worries me. It flakes off. If it flakes in the sink, it is probably doing it in your food too. My son-in-law bought me a really good set of teflon when he was dating my daughter. I didn't want to hurt his feelings but I have slowly weeded them out as they got older.

I only use stainless, cast iron or aluminum. My husband has one teflon skillet. When they start to flake I make him replace it. We live near the Allclad company. When they have a sale, I am going to check it out. My sister bought me a quart sauce pan from them and it is really nice. It is very heavy and distributes heat evenly (we have electric.)

Alexis

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page

OneHippieChick
True Blue Farmgirl

195 Posts

Susan
Huntsville AL
USA
195 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  05:03:09 AM  Show Profile  Send OneHippieChick a Yahoo! Message
I've finally gone teflon free and use cast iron and stainless steel primarily. I have tin? baking pans...I don't know if tin is actually aluminum or not, but I line them with parchment paper when I cook in them. I'm trying not to use aluminum either. The studies I've read about Alzheimer's Disease is that aluminum may play a role in developing it and it seems that aluminum is in *everything*! I've been slowly changing my plastics to glass. That is expensive!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Susan ~ Farmgirl Sister #1978
Fiber artist, spins, knits, crochets, sews, weaves, quilts, soap maker, as well as various beauty products and some natural cosmetics
Working on getting my Etsy website and blog up and running - stay tuned!
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  1:02:40 PM  Show Profile
I agree Susan about being expensive for switching to glass from plastic. I'm getting there, but it's hard! and even my glass containers have plastic lids, so is that really better? I use glass loaf pans for my bread, and I have one aluminum baking sheet that I use for artisan bread and scones (because they cook so hot, regular teflon pans get ruined). I've thought about a silicon mat, but I have my doubts about that too. Someone else started a thread about silicon and wondering about its hazards. On another note, what do people use besides ziploc bags for lunches? Wax paper to wrap sandwhiches in I know, but what about fruit and cookies? Any suggestions?

Curly's Quilts

Go to Top of Page

Bensgrandma
True Blue Farmgirl

227 Posts

Alexis
White Oak PA
USA
227 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  1:19:07 PM  Show Profile
I have picked up some good glass pie pans and loaf pans at Goodwill and the Salvation Army. I love browsing there!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/HugsandStitches
Go to Top of Page

Carianne
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Carianne
Bushnell FL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 03 2011 :  8:32:06 PM  Show Profile
I also see glass all the time at the thrift store, old pyrex and corning. For cookies, I use the extra large "disposable" oven liners. They are thin and the same as all the other "disposable" aluminum products they are sold with. I say "disposable" but I don't ever throw them away, I just wash them off. You can fit a ton of cookies on one sheet. I think using the wax paper is a great tip and may do that myself. Do they even sell that in Walmart anymore?
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  05:50:16 AM  Show Profile
Carianne,
Walmart does sell wax paper. I use it all the time.

I use lots of glassware and have gone almost totally plastic free. I use butcher paper for freezing or glass. I haven't figured out what to use in place of the ziploc bags though. Any ideas. I don't have enough small glassware to avoid the baggies yet. And what about the plastic lids on the pyrex? Anyone know?

I do use aluminum foil but only on non acid foods. Baked potatoes,the grill,etc. Any suggestions for a replacement for it?

I would suggest the stainless steel cookie sheets. I have Pampered Chef cookware right now which has a non stick coating but is not teflon. Teflon flakes off and does get into your food. This however is anonized and doesn't flake. Even so I used to have a set of Revere ware but passed that on to my daughter. I would prefer using it again though. I think it is stainless steel. It is very expensive now and when I bought it I think it was my first set of pots and pans and was very inexpensive. Hindsight..........

This is great thread. thanks for starting it!

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.

Edited by - levisgrammy on Feb 04 2011 05:54:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

kathyjane
True Blue Farmgirl

66 Posts

Kathy
Doniphan MO
USA
66 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  10:46:15 AM  Show Profile
As long as the plastic lid doesn't touch your food you should be ok.
I was in Tennesse over the weekend and hubby treated me to a suprise shopping trip to the Lodge CastIron Cookware outlet store in S. Pittsburgh TN! Fun! Fun!

Kathy Jane
Farmgirl #2565
Go to Top of Page

HealingTouch
True Blue Farmgirl

3448 Posts

Darlene
Kunkletown Pa
USA
3448 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  11:51:26 AM  Show Profile  Send HealingTouch a Yahoo! Message
Just think about this...if silicone breast implants caused all those problems years ago how could cooking our food in it be good? I don't trust it at all. There are certain #s on plastics. This tells you what is safe if you know the #s. I forget what they are since I don't use plastic, but I will try to locate the article the hospital sent me on this and post it.

I bought teas in pint glass bottles and now I reuse them and never use plastc water bottles. The problem with plastics, teflon, styrofoam is that they leach into your food and you don't even know it.

Also be very wary of anything made in china becuse the paints on their ceramics,cups, dishes, have been known to have high levels of lead in them. I don't buy and won't use anything like that. Look for your glassware at yard sales and thrifts and little by little you will get what you need.

Be Blessed,
Darlene
Sister 1922

God first, everything else after!

When Satan's knocking at your door, just say "Jesus will you get that for me?"

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9269 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9269 Posts

Posted - Feb 04 2011 :  1:04:56 PM  Show Profile
Did someone say they were cooking using silicone? I missed that. I have not used that. How do you store things in the freezer, Darlene?

farmgirl sister#43

--Edmund C. Vance.
Go to Top of Page

CurlysQuilts
True Blue Farmgirl

569 Posts

Sarah
Northeast Kingdom VT
USA
569 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  10:57:57 AM  Show Profile
Kathy - I'm so jealous! That sounds like so much fun!
Denise - I mentioned that I was thinking about getting a silicon baking sheet, but I have my doubts about that.

Curly's Quilts

Go to Top of Page

walkinwalkoutcattle
True Blue Farmgirl

1675 Posts

Megan
Paint Lick KY
USA
1675 Posts

Posted - Feb 05 2011 :  1:57:17 PM  Show Profile
I've been doing a lot of research on the silicone stuff-I haven't used mine in about a year, so it's in a box in the attic right now. I'll probably just throw it away. I threw away all my non-stick stuff a while back as well. It's just not worth the risk!

Starbucks and sushi to green fried tomatoes and corn pudding-I wouldn't change it for the world.
www.cattleandcupcakes.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cottagefarmgirl
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Cathy
Marion NC
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Feb 06 2011 :  08:28:36 AM  Show Profile
I line my pans with parchment as well. It seems ashamed to throw out things that are in good shape that you have paid for. It's at least a solution until you can change them out for something better. Teflon is bad for you and you can find info on this on Mercola.com. Enameled cast iron is what I am working towards. Some things, like shaped cake pans, are hard to find without some coating. So, I tried to be extra careful in their care. Hope this is helpful.

Cathy
Go to Top of Page

Carianne
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

Carianne
Bushnell FL
USA
15 Posts

Posted - Feb 08 2011 :  10:15:51 AM  Show Profile
Okay, I will look harder at my Walmart for the wax paper, it's next to the foil and plastic wrap, right?

Anyone have trouble with their grill grates flaking off? I was given a new grill in the last few months, and when I used it the coating started flaking off onto my food. Seemed like it bubbled up and came loose, reminded me of when something rusts under the paint. But it wasn't rust, it bubbled during cooking. I called Charbroil and they said it probably wasn't seasoned, but it was! They were just looking for someone else to pin the blame on. I think it's just another chinese product, cheaply made.
Go to Top of Page

RawPrairie
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Teree
Sonora CA
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Feb 20 2011 :  9:13:23 PM  Show Profile
Great topic...
I'm down to 3 teflon pans and have reacquainted myself with cast iron and stainless steel pans. I've heard if you do use teflon you should use very low heat...the pans I have now were gifts and I feel guilty getting rid of them. I freeze in jars of all sizes and that works for me. If I have to use aluminum foil I wrap my food in parchment paper first...even if say I'm covering up a dish I lay the parchment over first before the foil. Costco used to carry a 2 pack of stainless steel heavy duty baking sheets that really last and clean up nice. I've used the silpat sheets in the past to avoid using cooking oils...but I'm researching that now as I really was led to believe that the silicone was safe...I use some of those cute little silicon molds for setting up chocolate in my freezer too...oops! I unplugged my microwave and use it for storage now which is quite handy! I'd love to invest in the titanium cook wear but it's out of my price range so for now I'm grateful for what I have! I love thrift store shopping for old pyrex...I heard that the new pyrex or anchor hocking explodes when used at higher temperatures...has anyone else heard that?? I love everyone's ideas and feel I'm at least heading in the right direction!! Smiles!

Teree~
Farmgirl Sister #2548

Not everyone can be a star...but everyone can twinkle!
Go to Top of Page

one_dog_per_acre
True Blue Farmgirl

1572 Posts

Trish
Sandpoint ID
USA
1572 Posts

Posted - Feb 24 2011 :  3:29:06 PM  Show Profile
Treat yourself to enameled cast iron. I bought three pans w/lids for myself for $50 including shipping on ebay. I read somewhere tht the anodized nonstick is at least nicer to the environment. Like the green pan infomercial. I still don't trust it. I make scrambled eggs for my son, and a fried egg for DH, in a stainless steel pan everyday. Use lots of butter and get it hot, before you add the eggs and let it be a minute.

Trish

Make cupcakes not war!
Go to Top of Page

countrymommy85
True Blue Farmgirl

898 Posts

Krystle
MT
USA
898 Posts

Posted - Feb 25 2011 :  10:55:13 AM  Show Profile
I use stoneware, cast iron, stainless steel, enamelware and I have a few aluminum cookie sheets I want to phase out for some "healthier" cookie baking items. I do not trust Teflon either!

~We can make the world a better place for our kids and future generations by what we do today!~

http://countryrenaissance.blogspot.com
http://www.etsy.com/shop/SunflowersAndHoney
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 HomeSafeHome: Previous Topic Going Teflon Free Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page