Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  06:41:36 AM  Show Profile
I am in the middle of planning what could turn out to be the craziest journey of my life, and I have never been so excited about something before!! It's a two-month long ride in the wilderness of Idaho, Wyoming, and Colarado with a small group of people who are all out for adventure and comraderie. Has anybody done something like this before, any tips or pointers, ideas, suggestions? There are so many things to consider! I'd appreciate any input from y'all!!

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  07:17:34 AM  Show Profile
Jodi, what fun. The longest ride I went on was only 1 week. I suggest you hop over to www.maryjanesoutpost.com where many like-minded gals post. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  07:30:28 AM  Show Profile
Oh my gosh...sounds so exciting!! I can't wait to hear all about this trip..lucky you!! It makes me miss my horse...Old Mick and I never went on any long trips..but still..just miss him.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  7:12:34 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi-

I have never made a trip like that via horseback before. Let me just say- I am _so_ jealous! I hope you have tons of fun! I know you will see some amazing sights and probably will be in amazing shape by the time the ride is over!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  7:53:36 PM  Show Profile
I'm so jealous too, even though I would never survive that much riding! I don't have any tips or advice. I just know that you're embarking on an adventure you'll remember for the rest of your life.

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  8:41:27 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like it will be an amazing journey!!!
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  11:19:40 AM  Show Profile
How absolutely wonderful - an adventure of a lifetime for sure!!! I'm so excited for you - be sure to keep us posted on your preparations - be SURE to take a camera!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:12:31 AM  Show Profile
I will definitely keep you posted on preparations and plans, that will be half the fun! I'm not sure I'll survive a trip like this, I've never gone such a distance on horseback, a week has been the longest I've been out, too. But I know I will come back with memories a plenty, and I am certain it will enrich my life and my soul! This week I've been making packing lists, and I think I've come across a dilemma...how to pack clothes and shoes for two months when weight and bulk must be kept at a minimum...this female stared at the contents of her closet for hours and still couldn't decide what to do! Lol, this trip will straighten out my priorities if nothing else! I'm definitely using Mary Jane's foods, they will pack easy and keep cooking super-simple.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  6:18:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I assume you all are going to be roughing it? I would take layers if I were you. Most of the weather you are going to experience will probably be dry and hot, but be prepared for cold at night and rain or even snow. I would have a pair of light weight long underwear, 2 pairs of synthetic fabric jeans (cotton can wick away body heat really fast!) 2 long sleeved shirts and 2 short sleeved shirts, a jacket and a heavier coat. I would say only one or two pairs of shoes should be needed since you will be riding most of the time, but I would pack lots of socks! Another idea would be to talk to your expedition leader about what they suggest you bring. I am sure they prefer that people ask questions rather than hit the trail under or over prepared :)

And you are totally in luck with MaryJane's food! Nothing could be simpler or yummier and she just came out with 11 new food packages!
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  07:02:18 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for the suggestions for packing, do you have any ideas where to get jeans that would be comfortable for riding the distances that aren't cotton? The only synthetic riding wear I've found are English-style pants, and most of us ride strictly Western. We may have to set aside our pride, lol. As for talking to our expedition leader, we're planning this ride ourselves, doing it privately. Maybe we're in over our heads, but life is always a bit more exciting when it's slightly out of control. I have a total of five people going, which is a good size, not too big, but enough of us to stay safe. I'll probably put a limit at 6, but I'm not sure who else would go. We've shortened it to one month, aiming for about 500 miles. I'm getting excited! Right now I'm working on finding maps and trails between Boise and the Grand Tetons, and rounding up horses for those that don't have their own. Anyway, an update!! :)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 21 2007 :  09:17:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh! I wish I could go! I will look into finding some synthetic pants for you. When was a few pounds lighter, had these amazing black cargo pants that were light weight synthetic material. They felt like micro suede on the outside and there were two layers and a smooth side next to my skin. They were perfect and I would really suggest something like that for the ride. There weren't any rough seams to give me saddle sores and since they were synthetic they were awesome for a really extreme backpacking trip I went on.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 03 2007 :  3:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is the trip planning going?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  2:28:14 PM  Show Profile
Planning and plotting has slowed down dramatically, since I have found myself in the middle of moving. I'm settling in, getting used to my new enviroment (city, I'm afraid. I miss the country) and new job. But soon and very soon HP trip planning will resume! Alee, did you ever find any good riding pants? I should check with a friend who does endurance riding and see if she has any recommendations if you haven't come up with anything. If you did, maybe you can email me the info for them. I find time to check that more than the forums now. :)

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2007 :  2:57:14 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi- the ones that I used to own were just a fluke that they turned out to be the pefect pants :) I am still looking :)

Alee

The amazing one handed typist! One hand for tying, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2007 :  10:12:05 AM  Show Profile
Oh, geez, I wish I could go with you! What fun! But I still have to work...

I was noticing a pair of pants in the Junonia catalog (plus-sized only) that might be good for trip like this - the bottoms zip off, so they convert from slacks to shorts (less packing, more functionality) Don't know your size but if you need smaller, I am sure something similar is available at outdoor outfitters like Campmor.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow

Edited by - brightmeadow on Jul 06 2007 10:12:47 AM
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2007 :  12:27:00 PM  Show Profile
Thanks, Brenda! I checked out Campmor.com, and I found several good possibilities. I guess I'll have to 'test ride' some to make sure I could go miles in them. I hadn't thought of doing the convertible pants, that zip off into shorts. That would be nice for packing, I like the idea. However, I'm wondering if they might rub, if the zipper would create pressure points. Has anybody ridden in them??

Jodi :)
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  06:24:14 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm jealous but in a good way. Hope all is still going well or maybe you're already off in to the wilds??

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  11:31:47 AM  Show Profile
Actually, the trip is scheduled for early next summer, since my life went topsy turvey this year. So I'm still dreaming up things to make this the best trip ever! It would be fun to have a horse pack trip planned for any farmgirls to participate...we could get together, make new friends, and ride to our heart's content! Just an idea!

Blessings,

Jodi

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 23 2007 :  9:52:41 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh that sounds like so much fun Jodi!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page

DaltonLisa
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lisa
Dalton Gardens Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 22 2007 :  12:49:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Prairie Princess,
I was going through older posts (being that I'm new and all) and I saw your post about your cross-country trip....how incredibly fun and exciting. I love that you're doing it "guideless" (makes it seem more old west) and wow!-a month. That would be a dream vacation for me. With 4 kids at home it won't happen anytime soon, a weekend is all I get away for now, but there's nothing better than horseback! Happy adventurous trails to you :-)
Having ridden many miles at a time with an endurance rider, I would recommend riding tights (they do have thicker weight ones) I am a stickler for jeans but riding with this girl convinced me that comfort was SERIOUSLY important. (I did end up with the nickname Rawhide for awhile there) Please keep everyone posted on the plans as we are living vicariously through you on this
Go to Top of Page

ColdAntler
True Blue Farmgirl

89 Posts

Jenna
Sandgate VT
USA
89 Posts

Posted - Aug 24 2007 :  10:06:22 AM  Show Profile  Send ColdAntler an AOL message  Click to see ColdAntler's MSN Messenger address
wow. just.... wow

http://coldantlerfarm.blogspot.com/

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5082124
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:10:08 AM  Show Profile
I've been thinking about going for riding tights, lol. I've reached the 'rawhide' status myself before, and I don't think that would be fun for such a long ride... I'm still determined to do this, for the spiritual benefits of being out in the wilderness with the horses, for photography and journaling oppurtunities, and just a chance to push myself to the limits. However, the people I had lined up to go with me will no longer be able to do it, and if I evaluate the situation wisely, lol, it's not an adventure I should take on by myself. So I'm hoping to find somebody as crazy as me who can fit it into their lives. But my filly goes to the trainer at the end of next month, if all goes according to plan! Get lots of trail miles on her between now and next summer. So I'll be moving towards the goal in that area! She's a great horse, I'll find out if she's got the makings of a good trail/endurance horse. She's half Arab, and half Blazer, so she's got gobs of potential! I'll try to post pictures of her on here soon! :)

"Women are like teabags...you never know how strong they are until they get into hot water." Eleanor Roosevelt
Go to Top of Page

DaltonLisa
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lisa
Dalton Gardens Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:28:10 AM  Show Profile
Yes! Do put a picture of your filly--Arabs are stunning. I have a walker/quarter that has rough trot, but a huge heart and has kept up well with my endurance friends' arab. My other horse is a "mutt" mustang/morgan/? that is a sweetheart. If I could get away I would absolutely go with you!! :-)
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  11:28:18 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Jodi- I would love to go, but it will be at least 3 years before my filly will be ready to be saddle trained and I am not sure if I can leave my baby for a month! It would be great to do a weekend ride though!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  12:13:15 PM  Show Profile
Hmm...I'm off and thinking up another ride now, lol. We should coordinate a weekend ride for farmgirls...who all would be interested??

Go to Top of Page

DaltonLisa
Farmgirl in Training

14 Posts

Lisa
Dalton Gardens Idaho
USA
14 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2007 :  1:10:02 PM  Show Profile
I'd be game! I've been looking for riding buddies around here cuz I don't like going alone--but a Farmgirls ride-Even better! Where are you located? Boise area?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Outpost: Previous Topic Cross Country Horse Pack Trip Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page