Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Question on Aprons
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Question on Aprons Next Topic  

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  03:05:16 AM  Show Profile
Hi girls,
I have a question for you. What fabric are you using for your aprons? I have used calicos and reg cottons, but the fabric seems so skimpy(sp?). I have a Joanns and a Hancock store. I would like a little heaver cotton but I can't spend a ton. I want to make some for gifts. Daisy Kingdom had some beautiful reto prints but they were 6 or 7 bucks a yard. I am going to watch for a sale on them.
Thanks
Merle

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  05:06:35 AM  Show Profile
Hi Merle....welcome to MJ's. I used to live in W-S and worked at Moses Cone Hospital!! Love the Greensboro area. Lived in Greensboro for a time too at the Adams Farm Apartments.

Anyway. I sew lots of aprons and have found creative sources of a thicker fabric: thrifted 2X womens cotton shirts (any smaller and you won't have enough fabric.), king size cotton pillowcases (thrifted or at discount stores.), thrifted cotton women's skirts...cut out the back and then you have enough for ties and pockets and the waistband is usually already made for you!! Old tablecloths...thrifted or otherwise. I picked up a vintage daisy printed sheet the other day that is gorgeous and will make lots of beautiful sunny aprons. Oh, and another favorite of mine to repurpose is a denim jumper. They make great full aprons. Just partially cut out the back leaving a back yoke. Finish it off with some bias tape and use the cut out fabric for back waist ties. I have also been known to scoop up the fancy tea towels when they are on sale and use them for the bib and pockets of the apron....just combining them with a nice homespun. I have one on my blog. Just click on my blog and go down through my archives and you will see all kinds of repurposed fabrics made into aprons and also aprons from regular fabric and thrifted fabric!! Most of the aprons you'll see on my blog are repurposed thrifted wares that cost less than $1. I always love a sewing challenge. Most of my aprons have also been given as gifts!!

Be creative...after awhile, everything will have apron potential. Don't be hemmed in by what the fabric stores sell!! *g*

Georgann

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Apr 27 2007 05:11:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  06:49:42 AM  Show Profile
Georgann,
What great ideas!!! I don't know when you were here last, but we have 2 or 3 big new Goodwill stores which I will be going to. We also have a store calles Anna's Linens. There are a discount store. I don't know if there stuff is seconds or not, but everything I bought there has been fine. There have great sales on sheet sets. You can sometimes get a whole queen or king set for 10.00. Even if the colors are plain, I can fancy them up as you say with towels or dishclothes(which they also have very cheap) or needlework.
I live by Moses Cone---I am right by Friendly Center. They expanded that last year and tore down the Burlington Building--remember that one with the big X beams on the outside? Just what we needed, less trees and more stores. On the plus side though, there is a Ben & Jerrys now! I am going to your blog right now.
Thanks
Merle
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  06:50:39 AM  Show Profile
Georgeann! You are so(sew!) brilliant! XO!
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  07:01:43 AM  Show Profile
Jeeze Georgann, your stuff is BEAUTIFUL! I couldn't really leave your blog, if fact it's still up I just opened another window to tell you that! I love your skirts. I do believe I will go to Goodwill this morning. I have to drop off something for my daughter at 10:30, stop at the bank and then I am off. I will let you know how I make out.
Thanks
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  07:29:30 AM  Show Profile
thanks Merle....glad you like my stuff. Have fun at the Goodwill!!! I was just there last night and found some bargain dresses for my girls.

I am going to do up a tutorial about how to turn a man's shirt into a (well hopefully!) beautiful feminine apron! I stopped by my favorite thrift store and picked up a beautiful man's yellow and plaid shirt for $1. (LOL...more than I usually pay, but I just love the fabric! Good and heavy and it is large enough to get a nice apron out of.) It was marked $4, but today is red tag is 75% off day! Woo hoo!! Anyway, I'll snap photos as I go along today. I try to utilize seams and hems to the best advantage when doing an apron this way I might even be able to get a full bib on this one too. I was driving and thinking about the best way to cut and sew this one. LOL....I'm obsessed!

Thanks Mima....just trying to be farmgirl thrifty!!

Oh, when I am done with this repurposed apron, I might just have a drawing for it.....hmmmm......or I might just keep it, the fabric is soooo pretty. I'm also challenging myself to use only a straight stitch so beginners can do this easy...squeezy apron!!

Later...I'll post it on my blog when I'm done.

G

Oh, I do remember those buildings. I LOVE the cooking shop at Friendly Center. Last time I was in G'bo, I bought some Snickerdoodle coffee there.....Ymmmmmm......we still have family in HighPoint and GBO. My hubby's aunt runs the High Point Community Theater.

Later,
G

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:11:59 PM  Show Profile
Merle,
How was your fabric thrifting expedition?

Attn: Farmgirls....to those of you who read the farmgirl blogs, there will be a surprise if you check out my blog....an apron giveaway. It is the apron that I am doing the tutorial on. You can go there, and check out my blog and leave a message if you are interested in winning this repurposed apron. I think it will be a real beauty. It is designed with a detachable bib...came up with an idea for this while driving down the road. It will be in my tutorial on how to do this with minimal sewing! I'm challenging myself to do this with all straight stitch and at a beginner to advanced beginner level! Anyway, see you there if you are interested.

G

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:29:20 PM  Show Profile
You are a sewing guru-goddess!!!! Geaorgeann, I totally want to sign up for your drawing and tutorial! How do you sign up for a google account to leave comments on your blog? I'm quite internet challenged!
Go to Top of Page

mkmomus
True Blue Farmgirl

248 Posts

Merle
Greensboro NC
248 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:31:53 PM  Show Profile
Well, I was having a good old time at goodwill when my 14yo old called from school. I guess her time of the month came and she needed emergency supplies!! I wouldn't want her to carry that in her bookbag or anything! So after I had just left her school to drop off some snacks for a class party, I had to go home, get the stuff and drop it off. I had only looked at sheets but I did find 2 flat sheets for 2.00. They are in the dryer right now. I don't think I need anything else. I have some new dish towels I bought at Annas when they were on sale 2 for 1.00 so I might do something with those. I love your apron from the shirt and I can't wait for the tutorial. I teach at GTCC and the last day of classes is the 8th so by the end of that week I will be a free woman. I'll get a chance to try some stuff then.
I love that cooks store as well but I never tried the coffee.
Thanks
Merle
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:31:57 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mima, I signed up through Blogster.com...then they switched to google, so I'm not much help there. If you can't get signed up, I'll post your above comment over there for you. The tutorial will be on my blog...free.
G

Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  12:51:26 PM  Show Profile
Yeah! I feel so empowered now! I made a google account! Now just watch! I'll be addicted to leaving messages on eveyones blogs! Hee! Hee!
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  11:15:15 PM  Show Profile
Georgann & mima,
I too luv sneaking over to the Goodwill store to find fun stuff to re-purpose. I am partial to mens hawaiian shirts. Often times they are silk & oversize which means "lots-o-fabric!.
I have noticed that many of the thrift stores are starting to get a bit pricey. So I watch for the $1 bag days, 1/2 off racks and special colored tags day sales.
Last month I bought a tan suede long full skirt for $4 and a few days later I bought a unlined red suede jacket, also for $4....if for no other reason I can cut up the suede & use as chamois cloth. Or I can make a hundred suede Barbie doll coats!LOL!
With leather crafts being popular again, why pay $8 for a little 12" piece when you can buy a whole jacket to cut up.
Mima, have fun sewing, and , You Go Girl!
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  03:46:47 AM  Show Profile
Grace,
Yesterday, I found a gorgeous blue Shantang silk shell dress...in perfect condition for fifty cents!! Only problem? It is a size 10 and I am not, but I bought it anyway. I was thinking of giving it to a farmgirl who is size 10. Know anyone who wants a beautiful silk dress?
G

Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  07:09:16 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
My favorite aprons were ones that I made from old flour or feed sacks. We have a lot of consignment craft/antiques shops in our area, and I scour them for old fabric. I like vintage table cloth material too....they are good weights and absorbant. I also like to by doilies and hankies to use as pockets and for trim to gussy up the aprons. As soon as I get a picture of the last two flour sack aprons I will post them on my Farmgirl blog.

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Bee Haven Acres
http://beehavenacres.blogspot.com/
http://beehavenmaven.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:12:36 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
oh, pick me, pick me....

If you still need a good home for thedress let me know....yes, I actually do wear size 10-12 depending on the style of the garments.
What can I trade you for it? Anything in particular that you are looking for?

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:21:33 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
just looked at the apron that you re-purposed from the mans shirt, soon as my DH heads out to the office I think I will sneak a peek in his clost to see if has a junky ols shirt that I can "mis-apporpriate"! Hmmm, wonder how ell flannel would work for an apron???
Thanx for the cool idea!
tata-4-now

Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:42:36 AM  Show Profile
This thread is giving me such ideas! My mother-in-law passed away a couple years ago, and I still have boxes of old clothes too small for me to wear and bed linens too small for me to use. I LOVE the idea of using skirts to make aprons! I was going to put it all in our upcoming yard sale, but now I'm going to sort through and see what I can salvage. It's been a long time since I've sewn anything, and I'm excited at the thought of not having to buy any fabric :)

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  11:12:44 AM  Show Profile
Have fun re-creating wonderful new things from wonderful old things...

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  11:45:20 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Georgann! The repurposed apron is beautiful! Please, please share the tutorial - I want to make one!!!!!!! You are such a talented gal - amazing; just amazing.

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  3:31:21 PM  Show Profile
LOL...Ya'll are so funny, we are going to have a windfall of men going around without their shirts now! LOL....I'm working on the tutorial. My family and I have been playing today...haven't done that in a long time. It will be up soon though.

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  9:19:24 PM  Show Profile
My husband set up a new apron's only blog for me. I just put the new URL under my name below. It has the half done tutorial. I'll finish it tomorrow. I've had lots of trouble with my old blog, so hopefully this new one wont' go down as often.

Enjoy,
G

http://auntgeorge.wordpress.com/
My new apron's only blog!

Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  07:39:42 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George, Your wordpress blog isn't open to the public. Can you change the settings?

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  11:20:56 AM  Show Profile
Aunt George,
Just took a look at your apron tutorial....Wow!! I love the clear directions, especially the ...or if you have,...if you're doing this...directions. I'm always the one looking at instructions and going... but what do I do with this?...and...can't I use this? or...how come I still have pieces, but I'm out of fabric?! :-)
Can you show or maybe post the directions for the blue apron? It's really cute!
I go to thrift stores a lot (maybe too often), but I never thought to look in the men's section. Such a great idea!
I'd also love to be a part of the drawing.
Amanda

theheadlettuce.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  1:20:56 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amanda, I'll put your name in the pot too! Oh, I'm not done with the tutorial yet, blogger went down last night and I am going to finish it tonight when the girls go to bed, so it will be up late tonight. I'm so glad you think the directions sound clear. I never know if anyone can follow what I am writing. I'm trying to lay out directions exactly how I did the apron.

I am also going to give alternate directions for a half apron. You can get a really nice full half apron from a large woman's or a man's shirt. Long sleeves are great too!!

Oh, I'll post the directions for the blue dress if you want, I don't have photos of it, but it is one of the easiest things to do!! Basically with a dress all you have to do is cut straight up the middle back then cut 3 to 4 inches on each back side for the back ties. Fold the ties strips (you cut from neck to hem so it is a long piece) and attach them to where ever you want them on the back. Finish the raw edges with seam binding, add a ruffle on the bottom with fabric scraps..add rick rack embelish to your heart's content and voila' you have an apron!!

I LOVE making full aprons with the blue jean jumpers that were popular a couple of years ago. They usually have some really cute appliques, stitching and/or pockets on them. There is one that I did for myself on my blog...the blogspot one....my hubby is still helping me set up the other one, so it isn't open to the public yet...It is my apron. It is under the heading: The Apron Maker's Apron.

Well, gotta go and clean something....
G

Thanks again!
Georgann

Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  2:10:48 PM  Show Profile
The tutorial is up! I do hope it makes sense. Please email me with any questions......The way the blogs work, you will have to scroll down to get to part one. It was posted in three different posts marked 1, 2 and 3. I hope you enjoy and have lots of fun making repurposed aprons from men's shirts!!!!!!!! I used every inch of that shirt and actually have some left to piece on longer back ties!!!

Abundant Blessings,
Georgann

Edited by - Aunt George on Apr 29 2007 2:11:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  3:25:25 PM  Show Profile
Okay, so the blonde part of me couldn't figure it out, but fortunately the creative part of me gets it :-)
I'll have to print it out!
Amanda
http://theheadlettuce.blogspot.com

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
Mae West
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Question on Aprons Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page