EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Jun 17 2007 :  10:04:12 AM  Show Profile
Yay, you got the package. I was hoping that you would like it. I have used the Old Bay several times.....Just last night, we went clam digging, and we got lots. When I came home, I cooked them and made a BIG pot of clam chowder for hubby and his father for father's day.
Just a pinch of the Old Bay and WOW!!!! At least that is what hubby tells me, I don't care much for seafood, but love to cook....LOL
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2007 :  8:38:34 PM  Show Profile
You can put a whole skinned chicken in a crock pot and add a bottle or vinegar & oil and let cook all day. Yummy!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Go to Top of Page

Maryjane Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

2195 Posts

Maryjane
CA
USA
2195 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2007 :  2:16:31 PM  Show Profile
What wonderful recipes!!!!!!! Thank you ALL so much! Love my crock pot!

Hugs,
Maryjane Lee

"Cherish the memories and in our hearts they shall live forever"!
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Jul 14 2007 :  09:52:20 AM  Show Profile
i have one that i have been making quite a bit.
I use cooked gound beef, green peppers, onions , celery....all the stuff you would use to make spagetti sauce so all I have to do when I get home is boil some noodles and I have a great meal!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

ivmeer
True Blue Farmgirl

409 Posts

Amanda
Pawtucket RI
USA
409 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  07:23:35 AM  Show Profile
Pot roast

One 2-3 pound chuck roast or chuck eye roast
1 8 oz can tomato sauce
1 cup water
molasses
worcestershire sauce
ground cloves
salt and pepper
Pan vegetables (choose whatever you like): onions, garlic (whole cloves or cut in large chunks), shallots, potatoes, sweet potatoes, squasah, carrots

Place meat in crock pot. Pour tomato sauce on top, and pour a cup of water in the bottom of the pot. Drizzle molasses and sprinkle worcestershire sauce (I don't know how much...maybe 2-3 T molasses and about 1 T worcestershire) and sprinkle some cloves on top. Add salt and pepper to taste. Arrange pan vegetables around roast. Cook for about 6 hours.
Go to Top of Page

Kay Marie
Farmgirl in Training

24 Posts

Kay
Tomball TX
USA
24 Posts

Posted - Jul 16 2007 :  08:21:45 AM  Show Profile
Here is a recipe for chicken enchiladas I made in my crock pot this weekend to feed 12 hungry cross-stitchers on a retreat. They went back for thirds! I prepped the filling mixture the day before so I could just layer it in the crock pot and join in the stitching.

Filling mixture:

Shredded chicken (lazy single girl method was to de-bone, skin and de-fat 2 deli rotisserie chickens)
2 cups grated cheese
2 cans diced tomatoes with chilies
1 large can enchilada sauce
Chopped onion, bell pepper and celery to taste

Start with a layer of corn tortillas on the bottom of the crock-pot, top with a layer of filling mixture, and spread more enchilada sauce on top. Repeat until you either run out of filling mixture or fill the pot. I coked mine on low for 3-4 hours since my pot tends to run to the hot side. About 10 minutes before I wanted to serve, I topped with a two generous handfuls of shredded cheese. I served with sour cream, salsa and more shredded cheese.

You all have made me hungry to try the chicken with the Old Bay seasoning. I’m going to have to try and find some down here in Texas.
Go to Top of Page

cabinmoose
True Blue Farmgirl

218 Posts

Lorna
Forest Hill MD
USA
218 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  06:52:16 AM  Show Profile  Send cabinmoose an AOL message  Send cabinmoose a Yahoo! Message
For you ladies loving old bay!

Try it on baked potates, french fries, green beans, chicken salad, tuna salad, corn..........you will be amazed.

Living in MD where Old Bay is a staple you would be amazed at what we do with it. Old Bay History: http://www.old-bay.com/content.cfm?ID=11531

Here is about the oddest thing we have ever done with it and they are delish!!! I tell you delish!!! Don't turn your nose up at this, try it! Even on just a few, once you are hooked you can coat the whole bag!

Take a bag of cheese curls and coat them with old bay. I just open the cheese curls and pour in the old bay and shake them up. They are delish....I tell you delish! Just a fun snack.

I also love raw onion sandwiches with old bay and a little mayo! YUMMMMMMMMMMMM.......

Ok, not that I have made myself totally hungry! ;)

Cheers,

Lorna
Forest Hill, MD

Edited by - cabinmoose on Jul 19 2007 06:56:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 19 2007 :  07:11:50 AM  Show Profile
Crockpot Turkey Breasts

Ingredients:
2 three pound turkey breasts, boneless
4-6 slices of uncooked bacon
1/2 cup maple syrup

Put turkey breasts side by side in crockpot
lay bacon slices over the top and pour maple syrup in.
Cook for four-six hours, depending on how your crockpot cooks!

Psalm 51: 10-13
Go to Top of Page

Rivergirl_2007
True Blue Farmgirl

332 Posts

Shirley
Karnak IL
USA
332 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2007 :  1:02:19 PM  Show Profile
Oh my! What great sounding recipes. It's three hours to supper and I can't decide what to do, but I know what to do for tomorrow. I love crockpot cooking. I can get that going early in the a.m., can all day, and not have to worry about cleaning up to fix dinner.

One of my favorite is to put stew meat in the pot, season with some Homemade Gourmet Roast seasoning, cover with water, and let it go. I can serve it over potatoes, noodles, rice, whatever sounds good that night.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  06:27:43 AM  Show Profile
I have a big ol' roast in the slow cooker right now. I wasn't very creative with it though. Just put a pouch of onion soup mix on it and some water....closed the lid and that's that!! I'll boil some turnip and potatoes later to go with it.

Go to Top of Page

Cheryl
True Blue Farmgirl

919 Posts

Cheryl
Magalia CA
USA
919 Posts

Posted - Aug 31 2007 :  6:38:26 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, Sounds good. So what time is dinner! :)
Cheryl

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  3:55:04 PM  Show Profile
Hi
I have been making Mountian girl's recipe crock pot chicken with Old Bay atleast once a week all summer!!!!! We love it! My grandchildren
like roast beef and asked for it.
I looked on old bay website but it doesn't say it is for beef. Can I use it for beef? And if so what is the best cut of beef to use?
I love pork but we dont eat anymore cause we saw a program about it. It kind of spoiled our taste for pork.
So now I am trying to find out what would be a tender piece of beef. I would love to make it the same way with out anything except Old Bay.
Thanks so much!!! Faith

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

Brew Crew
True Blue Farmgirl

676 Posts

Molly
Arizona
676 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  8:09:25 PM  Show Profile
Ok, after reading through this thread, I just HAVE to head out to find some Old Bay! It sounds too wonderful! Can't wait to try the chicken with it in the ol' CP. What goes well with that main dish? I read some potatoes and such, anything else?

"There is a Happy Dale far, far away. . ." -Arsenic and Old Lace
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 18 2007 :  11:02:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Molly,
I make mashed potatoes because the juice from the chicken is so wonderful to make gravy with. Everyone loves the gravy! We had corn on the cob most of the time with it.
Now I want to make a roast the same way if I can. I just dont know if it will work and what the beat cut of meat to get. Faith

Go to Top of Page

britchickny
True Blue Farmgirl

1048 Posts

Angie
Port Orange Florida
1048 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  03:56:47 AM  Show Profile
EASY EASY ROAST
This was very easy and just so delicious! AND....my husband liked it!!!

1) Chuck roast
1) can of Golden Mushroom soup
1) can of Cheddar Cheese soup
1) can of French Onion soup
Dump it all in,(do not add water) cook on low for 10 (ish) hours
Serve with mashed potatoes. The gravy is devine!
Enjoy!
Angie.

"Mercy, peace and love be yours in abundance" JUDE 1:2
Go to Top of Page

Tammy Claxton
True Blue Farmgirl

1559 Posts

Tammy
Glen Burnie Maryland
USA
1559 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  05:20:48 AM  Show Profile  Send Tammy Claxton an AOL message
All the recipes on here sound so delicious! I had to chime in for 2 reasons..

1. Old Bay - it is great on popcorn, rice, steak, porkchops..the list is endless. We also have a brand called Wye River but it is , to me, saltier than old bay.

2. I cook alot in my crock pot. I have a recipe for meatballs that my family loves.

1 large bag - about 1 1/2 to 2 lbs of frozen meatballs
3 tbs. grape jelly
1 can sloppy joe sauce (whichever brand you like)
2 tbs. steak sauce
1 tbs. worchestershire sauce
3-4 splashes of hot sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp season all
salt and pepper to taste

I just throw everything in the crockpot , mix it up and cook the meatballs for about 3 - 4 hours. If you want a really saucy meatball, then just add more sloppy joe sauce or add a little bbq sauce for a tangier meatball.

Enjoy!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!

http://countryintheburbs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:39:52 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Girl

This is going to sound strange but I made it and my son and husband thought it was the best chicken ever. Here goes. Put one whole chicken (not cut up) in the crockpot. Sprinkle 3 TBSP yup 3 TBSP Old Bay Seasoning on top, no water is added, cook on low 6-8 hours. While it's cooking it smelt like the ocean. The chicken falls off the bones.JoAnn

I've always been called a dreamer, but I never listened. I did what others dare not do--lived my dream while they watched. Unknown

Mountain Girl (JoAnn) - I have made this crockpot dish three times, it's awesome! The last time I layered carrots, potatoes and onions under the chicken, plopped the seasoned chicken on top - added three bay leaves and went outside for the rest of the day. It was awesome; I had to add a little water to make extra broth at the end, but it was OH so good!

My DH puts Old Bay on almost everything at the table anyway, but you can't really tell what the seasoning is with this dish. It's just fabulous. I tried it once with Lemon Pepper seasoning too, which was very good, just not as good as the Old Bay brand!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"

Edited by - Hideaway Farmgirl on Sep 19 2007 11:02:56 AM
Go to Top of Page

corporatefarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

389 Posts

Tamara
Pikeville TN
USA
389 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:51:58 AM  Show Profile
Here are two of my family's favorites.

Italian Chicken - put about 10 chicken thighs - 5 large potatoes quartered - 5 large onions quartered - 2 garlic cloves ( crushed) and then pour a bottle of Italian Dressing over it - Cook on low for about 6 hours . For a wonderful side ( or dinner the next night) toss noodles with the sauce in left in the pot.

Second dish - 3 ears of corn cut in half-6 potatoes quartered- 3 onions quartered - 4 bell peppers quartered - 1 kilbasa sausage cut in chucnks - Salt, pepper, galic, 2 teaspoonse of chicken bouillion and cajun seasoning (to taste) add just enough water to reach the top of the mixture. Cook on low for 4-6 hours. Serve with white rice

Hope you enjoy!

there is a seed to plant in every heart
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  08:52:20 AM  Show Profile
There is lots of Old Bay in the stores around here, if anyone needs some, just let me know!I am happy to ship it to you!

We use it on veggies, potatoes, eggs, pork chops, it is a regular on the table. Oh yeah, check out Susan's Mock Crabcakes (using up extra zucchini) in another post, and of course, on crabmeat or shrimp, it is divine!

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  09:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Yum! You guys are giving some great ideas! I think I will make crock pot chicken tonight! Yum!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Sep 19 2007 :  12:40:51 PM  Show Profile
I've already got a hamburger stew going from last nights leftover pot roast. But I've printed off all the recipes you gals posted on here. They all sound wonderful.

Tammy, could I just use my home-made bbq sauce instead of the sloppy joe sauce? I don't buy canned/processed foods anymore.

And what is this Old Bay you're all talking about? I've never heard of it. Is it in the baking aisle with the spices? Does it have a lot of salt in it?

my blog: http://lisamariesbasketry.blogspot.com/
My Website:
http://www.freewebs.com/lisamariesbasketry/index.htm
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  04:46:38 AM  Show Profile
Hi Lisa,
Old Bay is a mixture of spices. I believe there is:
celery salt
celery seed
mustard seed
red pepper
black pepper
bay leaves
cloves
allspice
ginger
mace
cardamom
cinnamon
and paprika
It is a little salty but it is wonderful. I found it in the seafood isle and spice isle.
I made a roast beef with it and it was a hit with my family! I used the three tablespoons MountianGirl recommended. On the box it doesn't say it is for beef but I used it and it was wonderful and made the best gravy! I am going to make a lamb roast next!!!!
So now I will have three easy meat crock pot dishes. The chicken the beef and the lamb. I put a few potatoes and small onions in but I also make mashed potatoes because the gravy is soooooooo good.
Thank you again Mountian Girl!
Faith

Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  04:51:42 AM  Show Profile
Wow, we are all great cooks, aren't we!!! I was wondering if anyone has made something similar to cabbage rolls in their slow cooker?

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  04:52:02 AM  Show Profile
Oh by the way I browned the meat first because the butcher recommended I do that. I used a little oil. He said it would seal in the jucies and I believe it did because it was not dry at all! And there was a lot of juice to make the gravey with.

Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  05:03:11 AM  Show Profile
Good Morning Melanie!
I think cabbage rolls would be wonderful in the slow cooker!! I will try that too!! They taste better when the cook a long time anyway. I make mine usually with lamb and sometimes beef. I also put a piece of meat on the bottom. I made alot this summer and then froze them in containers and my husband would just take them out of the freezer in the morning and heat it at night. ( take my grandchildren to the cabin in the adirondacks in the summer and leave my sweet husband at home . The guys come up on the week ends. But during the week they have to take care of themselves. And the rolled cabbage is the thing he eats the most that I freeze for him.
Faith

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crock pot recipes Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page