Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  11:13:41 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Yesterday I slow cooked a bunch of chicken legs and thighs (on sale for .98 a pound) and at the end of the day I pulled it all out and seperated it from the bones and skin (ick)and let it drain the fat onto a paper towel. I had seasoned the meat in the cooker with paprika, salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary.

Then I made some soy sauce rice (put about 1/4 cup soy sauce in the cooking water), we added stir fry veggies to the rice once it was done cooking, and tossed in the drained meat. Yum!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
http://home.test-afl.tulix.com/aleeandnora/
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Sep 20 2007 :  4:38:53 PM  Show Profile
Sounds sooooo good!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  1:16:35 PM  Show Profile
Today I made "end of the garden chicken soup". It smelled so good! I'm upstairs knitting and the smell is driving me crazy. I've posted the recipe on my blog.

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

CountryBorn
True Blue Farmgirl

1545 Posts

Mary Jane
New York
USA
1545 Posts

Posted - Sep 22 2007 :  2:21:36 PM  Show Profile
Brenda, I just copied this recipe, it sounds delicious!! Thanks!

MJ

There can be no happiness if the things we believe in are different from the things we do. Freya Stark
Go to Top of Page

KimmyWVSC
Farmgirl at Heart

9 Posts

Kim
South Carolina
USA
9 Posts

Posted - Oct 23 2007 :  07:38:26 AM  Show Profile  Send KimmyWVSC a Yahoo! Message
I'm sure I'm behind the rest of the slow-cooker world in this but I found a recipe for chicken stock that cooks in the slow cooker overnight. I made changes though, as I used a left over rotissary chicken carcass from the WM deli and 7 instead of 6 cups of water. The broth freezes beautifully in 1 cup increments. Yum Yum Yum! http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chicken-Broth-in-a-Slow-Cooker/Detail.aspx I also make BBQ (chicken, beef, pork) in our slow cooker all the time. I'm sure, depending on how one defines BBQ in their area of the world, that this isn't technically BBQ but it cooks slow (like BBQ here in the south should) and its tender and full of flavor.

"Behold, I make all things new." Revelations 21:5
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  07:51:59 AM  Show Profile
Kim, it's never too late to learn a new recipe; this one looks so easy, and full of yummy goodness. Thanks for posting the link.

Jo

"Wish I had time to work with herbs all day!"
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  10:22:29 AM  Show Profile
Alright, I have been reading this thread ALL summer about this Old Bay Chicken, and I really want to try it, but there's this:

What kind of whole chicken do I buy? Alright, stop laughing --seriously, I'm not too fond of bones, so I tend to avoid buying whole chickens because I waste.... Could I use bone in breast or anything else like that? I have a pork roast that I can use, but I'm a real stickler about trying recipes as written first, and y'all have just raved about it and I feel left out by my own phobias!

Not a fryer? A Roaster?

Anyone???

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

Mountain Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

JoAnn
Colville Washington
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Oct 24 2007 :  4:59:42 PM  Show Profile
Kygurlsrbest, That's my recipe and I just use a whole fryer. The nice thing about this is that if you cook it the whole 8 or more hours it lierally falls of the bone. The dark meat could be used in a chicken salad. I haven't tried it with just the bone in breast. I don't think it would work with a boneless chicken. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. JoAnn
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  06:02:38 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, Mountaingirl. I'll get the whole chicken--I was a vegetarian for 10 years and it still just gets me--probably because I was vegetarian for my "young adult single" years, when I would have been extending my tastebuds and cooking techniques. I guess I'm entering a new era of learning.

"She was built like a watch, a study in balance ... with a neck and head so refined, like a drawing by DaVinci"...
NY Newsday sportswriter Bill Nack describing filly, Ruffian.
Go to Top of Page

mellaisbella
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

melanie
living on Anne of Green Gables land
Canada
1862 Posts

Posted - Oct 25 2007 :  09:55:57 AM  Show Profile
Hey Joni
I have made the "old bay chicken" with chicken thighs. Not as many bones and very juicy!!

"learn to watch snails" SARK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic crock pot recipes Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page