Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Quilt Square Swap 2- Packages are in the mail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Square Swap 2- Packages are in the mail Next Topic
Page: of 8

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 04 2007 :  8:48:34 PM  Show Profile
I used white. If you are picing you can use white muslin. Hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  04:54:00 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Sheryl-lyn. I am choosing to use white for background. I am hoping to do embroidery in the center. I cut the white pieces last night and will trace them out today to take with me to embroider while camping.

Ladies, don't worry about making some complicated block here. These are to enjoy doing . The fun is in the swapping and sharing. Everytime I look at the blocks, I want to think of all of you.

The one set of blocks that came in has white as well. I think most are leaning to white. I was not sure which color scheme we would go with, but it looks like the brighter white, cherry type red and royal blue.

Please do NOT worry if you use cream for your blocks!! Either color choice is fine. I do not want any of you to fret. Pick which ever one you want to use.

Country girl in NE PA

Edited by - suzyhomemaker on Jun 05 2007 4:05:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  05:21:50 AM  Show Profile
I'm going with white too.

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

khartquilt
True Blue Farmgirl

1176 Posts

USA
1176 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  06:05:01 AM  Show Profile
Just chiming in...
..I have both white and muslin (cream)
Kathy H
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  1:49:53 PM  Show Profile
Hi there suzyhomemaker my blocks are on the way to you today.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  4:06:27 PM  Show Profile
Hurray!! More blocks coming. I am starting mine as well.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 05 2007 :  5:19:58 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for letting me know. I realize that either cream or white will look good together, just wanted to see if there was a general trend. I will go with the white for my blocks. This time I will be using my embroidery machine since I have not used it in a while and I LOVE it to death! Cannot wait to see what you are all doing. No matter what, it will be glorious. I love the other one we did so much!!
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 06 2007 :  02:18:10 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how wonderful to have an embroidery machine. It's on my wish list for when my kids are grown (at least 10 years). I can't wait to see them.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  04:46:04 AM  Show Profile
Well, I started my pieced blocks and was using my flying geese ruler to make quick sections for the star. Would you believe I cut the smalelr square in the wrong size and they are all too small? Lucky for me I have more fabric. I will cut these to the smaller geese size and maybe find a use for them in the finished quilt. The flying geese ruler comes in two sizes. Each one makes two different sizes. You make them using two squares of fabric and get four flying gesse from eat set of two squares. It's very easy to use and makes perfect geese every time.

So last night I cut more squares and hope to complete my pieced blocks today. I rediscovered these three fabrics I had put aside to use in a quilt one day. I really like their combination. Looking forward to the swap, ladies.

It turns out my pieced blocks do have some cream in them. I hope to do embroidered ones if time permits as well. Those are on white muslin background. I am taking them with me next week when we go camping. I enjoy having handwork to do i nthe evenings.
Happy sewing, ladies.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 08 2007 :  5:56:12 PM  Show Profile
Hurray!! My one set of blocks are done. yeah!!

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 10 2007 :  5:04:18 PM  Show Profile
My embroidery machine is humming along!! I have about 7 centers done so far, have to decide how to frame the blocks. I do very straightforward quilt designs, so there are a million to look at that are easy and fun to do.

Clare: I wanted an embroidery machine for a while too before I got one. My kids are both grown now, so I did have to wait a while too. It was worth the wait because if I had gotten one ten years ago, it would be so outdated that it's not even worth it. At least this one has more than I could ever expect to use in my lifetime and I have disks which will never go out of favor.

Looking forward to getting all done and sending them out.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  01:45:45 AM  Show Profile
I can't wait to see the blocks from the embroidery machine.

Since I homeschool, i will definitely wait on a new machine. I think you need to have time, uninterrupted, to play around and feel omfortable with an embroidery machine.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  05:00:41 AM  Show Profile
What is it with this set of quilt blocks?? Remember, I did the entire set only to have them be too small? Well, I sat down to do the new, revised set over the weekend, got the first 9 done, filled the bobbin thread and poof! Like magic, the stitching is all screwed up on the sewing machine! I used the same thread for the bobbin, I took it out, flipped it over and put it back in to try it that way, no luck - I adjusted the top tension both up and down a little, no luck - took the bobbin out and in again, no luck. So, tonight after work I'll take out the bobbin case, shuttle & all that good stuff, give it all a good oil and try again. How often do you ladies oil your machines? I oiled all this stuff before I started this bobbin. Should I just make it a practice to take it all apart and oil it every time I run out of bobbin thread?

And, while I'm on the subject, how often do you change your needles? And, what is the typical size for cotton quilt material?

Kathy T - sewing challenged!

Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  09:46:08 AM  Show Profile
Ok, Kathy. Your machine might have not wound the thread correctly on the bobbin itself. Check the bobbin and see if it seems wound evenly and tightly.

yes, I oil my machine each time I finish a bobbin of thread or start a brand new project.

I use 70/10 or 80/12 needles for cotton fabric, universal. I like Schmetz needles. I know you are suppose to change your needles with each project, but I use mine longer than that-2 or 3 projects or if they break. If I make a quilt itself, I use one needle or two for the project, one for the machine quilting. It's harder on the needle, so much more sewing.

I am so sorry this project has been such a challenge. I am glad you are still sticking with it, though. I can't wait to see your blocks.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  09:49:49 AM  Show Profile
I received Carrie's (cinnamongirl) quilt blocks in today's mail. They are lovely. How are some of you doing out there?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  10:07:01 AM  Show Profile
Oh, don't be too excited--my blocks are easy peasy. Machine sewing has just always been a challenge for me for some reason. But I've decided I'm not letting the machine beat me this time!

Kathy

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  3:10:28 PM  Show Profile
You go girl! You are the master of that machine!
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 11 2007 :  3:12:41 PM  Show Profile
Clare: Seriously, the machine was so easy to learn that I am embarrassed! It works by itself while I am typing to you, or making dinner or vacuuming. You do have to learn how to download the designs, but I figured that out while reading the manual and doing it at the same time. So easy.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  02:54:38 AM  Show Profile
I can definitely see an embroidery machine in my future sometime i nthe next couple years then.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  04:37:57 AM  Show Profile
Are these due in the mail to Clare by June 30th, or did I just pull that date out of a hat?
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  06:23:27 AM  Show Profile
Page 1 states due date as June 30th hope that helps.
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Jun 12 2007 :  09:16:02 AM  Show Profile
Please mail them off to me by June 30th. Thank you.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Jun 13 2007 :  7:01:12 PM  Show Profile
My exact embroidery machine is often on EBAY or at sewing machine shops at a FRACTION of their original cost. It might not be as expensive as you think. I almost died when I found out someone in my sewing class had paid 1/5 of what I paid when she got a machine that was only 2 years old. It was like new!
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  07:00:40 AM  Show Profile
Just got back from the PO, mine are in the mail - 15 days early, I might add! Does that buy me 15 days grace period on any other swaps? :)

Kathy T

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Jun 15 2007 :  07:11:17 AM  Show Profile
oh of course it does, remember we are all friendly swappers, right?!!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Quilt Square Swap 2- Packages are in the mail Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page