knewslady
True Blue Farmgirl

555 Posts

Kathy
Russellville KY
USA
555 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  10:53:45 AM  Show Profile
I was just wondering what is the biggest tourist attraction in the county you live in?

I live in Logan County, southern Kentucky and we have a Shaker settlement here. The main building has been converted to a museum so it attracts a lot of people each year. A few of the other buildings are still standing and an active group works very hard to maintain these buildings.

Also, in October we have a Tobacco Festival in which a reenactment is held of Jesse James robbing the Old Southern bank here. He hid out in a cave in Logan County as well.

Just wondering, I really enjoy reading about the different places everyone lives.
Kathy

Will always be a farmgirl at heart
Visit my online shop at http://thebackfence.etsy.com

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  10:56:27 AM  Show Profile
Northern Illinois University-I live in DeKalb County Illinois

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  11:23:35 AM  Show Profile
My guess would Letchworth State Park, "The Grand Canyon of the East"!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

mom2knk
True Blue Farmgirl

321 Posts

Blanche
So Cal
321 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  11:32:02 AM  Show Profile
I live in the largest county in the contiguous United States!! San Bernardino County.........some of our areas of interest.......

The Mojave National Preserve
Calico Ghost Town northeast of Barstow
Zzyzx (The name of a road and rural community in the County)
Amboy, a ghost town along Route 66
Joshua Tree National Park
San Bernardino National Forest home to Big Bear outdoor activities
Goldstone Deep Space Communications Complex

Edited by - mom2knk on Apr 23 2007 11:32:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

mima
True Blue Farmgirl

1573 Posts

1573 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  12:09:11 PM  Show Profile
I live in Santa Barbara County and I guess what draws people here would be Santa Barbara-it's soo beautiful!!!
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  12:37:57 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
San Diego- The Zoo, Wild Animal Park and Seaworld, the beaches all up and down the coast, lots of people stay here and drive up to LA for all of their attractions, surfers and bikini babes.....
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  12:41:50 PM  Show Profile
I've been to Letchworth! I am a transplant from Buffalo/Niagara Falls area. It's been many years since I've even heard that name.

Now I live in Boise County, Idaho. Our biggest draw for tourists is the 23 or so historic buildings in Idaho City alone from the old mining days. Many are still in use. We still have wood boardwalks. A lot of folks come up here to pan and/or mine in the creeks and surrounding mountains. We get TONS of fishermen, hunters, hikers, foragers, kayak/rafters, horsemen, snowmobilers and skiers. The hot springs also draw a lot of folks. If you love the outdoors, this is a really fun place to live.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Amie C.
True Blue Farmgirl

2099 Posts

Finger Lakes Region NY
2099 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  1:11:32 PM  Show Profile
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that the biggest single attraction in Monroe County is the George Eastman House museum (founder of Kodak). A few years ago, a journalist from Toronto came across from Canada to visit Rochester, and this was the only attraction and/or feature of the city that she couldn't badmouth in her article. A lot of people were really mad!

But the annual Lilac Festival probably draws the biggest group of tourists at one time. Thousands of people from all over the country come to town during that week. My husband used to live in an apartment directly across from Highland Park (where the lilacs are) and he could barely get to and from work through the traffic.

So I guess it's a tie between those two.
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  1:11:40 PM  Show Profile
Let's see...I live on the border of Boone and Kenton Counties, in Northern Kentucky.

Boone County has the Rabbit Hash General Store, The Split Rock Conservation Park, Boone Cliffs (both natural wonders), The Dinsmore Homestead, and is the fastest growing county in Kentucky.

Kenton County is home to The Cincinnati Regional Airport, Devou Park and probably something else, but I can't think of anything! Being so close to Cincinnati, we really don't have that much identity, sadly.

People refer to Northern Kentucky as the "south bank of Cincinnati"

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

junkjunkie
True Blue Farmgirl

1306 Posts

Judy
Lawrenceville NJ
USA
1306 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  2:07:32 PM  Show Profile
I live in Mercer County and the biggest draw I think is the town of Princeton... Princeton University. It's a cool town with history and great restaurants and shops, not to mention the university itself. Not too far is the state capital, Trenton, which has a sports arena, and the state government with its buildings. Not the best area, though. You have to be careful.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  3:01:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I live in Latah county-

I am not sure what brings in the most tourist dollars in our area, but my biggest attraction is MaryJane's Farm. After that the University of Idaho brings in quite a lot. :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

sweetproserpina
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

meg
Vinemount Ontario
Canada
535 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  6:54:35 PM  Show Profile
Well, no counties up here but in my township- Fort Langley National Historic Site (where I work/play!) is the main one. It's a Hudson's Bay Company 19thC. fur trading fort and where BC became a British Colony

Come visit, I'll give you the grand tour!

"Isn't it splendid to think of all the things there are to find out about? It just makes me feel glad to be alive--it's such an interesting world."
http://theprimroseway.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  8:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Maricopa County here... I'd say South Mountain Park, which is the largest city park in the nation. Or our golf courses... we're considered one of the best areas for golf.

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  9:14:42 PM  Show Profile
Well, I live in St. Louis County and we have, of course, the Arch. Last year, we also had the World Series winners - the Cardinals - and the dubious distinction of St. Louis being named the most dangerous city in which to live. Many have since challenged the statistics, but well...

Funny story: Last year I was on the phone making a reservation for a train ride to Chicago. It was a 1-800 number and the connection wasn't great. While waiting for the computer screen to come up, the man was making conversation and said, "So I hear you all have been getting a lot of attention lately." My first thought was the World Series, and so I replied, "Yeah, finally -isn't that great!!" He sounded somewhat surprised when he asked, "So you're proud of that?" I said with all my city pride showing, "Well, sure, we've waited a lot of years for this"

Didn't occur to me until a day or so later that he was referring to the "most dangerous city" label, NOT the World Series. And I'm surprised that he didn't report that a crazy lady had booked a ticket on the train to Chicago - so to beware.

I've learned that it takes as much time and energy to wish as it does to plan.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  9:18:22 PM  Show Profile
Well in my home town there is Kennesaw Mountain and the locomotive train museum. As far as my county...I think they claim six flags over ga and the gone with the wind movie museum.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  9:45:21 PM  Show Profile
I live in Ventura County(Calif.) let's see, we have "California & Main street", it is our "Tourist District" along the beach & part of old downtown Ventura. In fact our old Court House was bought "used" & shipped up & assembled 1 piece @ a time, block by block. I was bought & transported from Texas back in the early 1900's.
We also have a Mission, by Father Sierra. We have several 1800's Adobe homes/museum...a ton of Golf course & Tiger Woods, who plays golf out here several times a year.
But the best part is we are nestled between Beautiful Santa Barbara & L.A. where we can get our tourist fix with-in a 30min drive and a celeberty siteing as well..
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  06:35:17 AM  Show Profile
How funny that since I'm a truck driver (sitting in my big rig right now in Jackson, MS) that I've been to a lot of the places you guys mention!!

I live outside of Grants Pass, OR but my mail still goes to Klamath Falls, OR as we don't want our mail having to find us till we totally settle down somewhere to call home. So I live in 2 counties. Klamath county is huge. I've heard that most of New England could fit in it. There is only about 75K people in the whole county, the last I heard. Just flat gorgeous country but terrible winters.

Josephine county, (Grants Pass), I don't know too much about just yet except people are flocking there in droves. There is the Rogue River with the big bridge that was built somewhere else and then moved to it's current place. Jumpoff Joe Creek where a guy was being chased by Indians and jumped off a cliff to save his hide. The Oregon Caves are close by.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  07:22:58 AM  Show Profile
Hey Winona,
My DH & I use to go to Grants Pass for vacations (many years ago) so he could fish the Rogue river as well as the Applegate river. He loves Steelhead fishing.
We love that whole area, Jackson, Applegate & Grants Pass.
tata-4-now

Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  07:42:58 AM  Show Profile
Katmom, I had to laugh when I read the part where you said YOU were bought and transported from Texas in the early 1900's! What?!

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  07:49:44 AM  Show Profile
Oops, I forgot about Applegate. I don't know too much just yet but as long as there are horses nearby, then I'm good!! My hubby had to kind of drag me here kicking and screaming but once I met some folks, I felt better about the whole situation. K Falls is kind of a closed society and weren't too friendly or accomodating to me. But it's growing now and new lives are moving in and I'm feeling better about it.

I like around GP cuz there is a lot to do but I live about 25 miles north and it's quiet there so I have the best of both worlds. My company I work for (trucking) is close to Medford.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

MsCwick
True Blue Farmgirl

775 Posts

Cristine
Farmville Virginia
USA
775 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  09:15:35 AM  Show Profile
We have an ENORMOUS furniture company called Greenfont Furniture. Along with incredibly downtown shopping. The furniture and accessories draws people from nationwide.
There is an ancient all men's college - BEAUTIFUL campus.
Longwood University.
Go to Top of Page

blueroses
True Blue Farmgirl

1323 Posts

Debbie
in the Pandhandle of Idaho
USA
1323 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  10:05:14 AM  Show Profile
I live in Kootenai County, so I guess our biggest draw is Lake Coeur d'Alene. It's beautiful and many tourists come to Idaho to visit it. We also have lots of outdoor activities in all the surrounding counties. Beautiful mountains, lakes and forests.

"You cannot find peace...by avoiding life."
Virginia Woolfe
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  2:27:00 PM  Show Profile
I live out in the country a bit.. just outside Tampa which is the biggest city for us.. & we're in Hillsborough county..
I'd say our biggest tourist draw even though we really don't have true beaches ourselves.. is yes.. The Beach..
Hillsborough & Pinellas County share their glory in what they say is theirs you know..Tampa is in Hillsborough.. & St.Petersburg & Clearwater are in Pinellas county.. so we all share the beach fame.. as well as The Tampa Bay Buccaneers.. the Lightning hocket team & the Tampa Bay Devil Rays Baseball Teams..
These would all be what attract some people .. Alot of people..
to our area.. But we do have some really great museums as well.. & historic homes.. we call them Cracker houses here.. that tend to have all migrated to single areas to protect the homes integrity..
( so say our local historians of course.. )
or.. to make it easier to load up to go see them all in just a handful of loactions.. ! Who knows.. regardless, it's always fun for an afternoon out.. we do have some great nature parks.. & aquariums..
2 of my favorite places to go is our local Zoo..Lowry Park Zoo.. which has been voted one of the most Family Friendly Zoo's in the US.. being an annual member allows me the freedom to go sit & watch the primates all day long if i like too..
( yes.. i know.. what does this say about me.. & really.. who's watching who here..)
& most interestingly i think is this fantastic garden.. It's called Bok Tower Gardens.. not even in either of our counties really.. but in a smaller town further north of us called Lake Wales.. aside from the vast gardens stretching everywhere.. dead center of it all.. Is this huge Carrillon Tower, That plays concerts through out the day!
absolutley beautiful..
so.. if your ever here.. THIS is a must see!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  8:52:25 PM  Show Profile
hey Lisa,
giggle giggle,,,,silly me, I ment,,, "It"
I guess I was having a "moment" & forget to proof what I had written.... it did make for a fun spin on the story though!!!! LOL!
tata-4-now

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  11:06:12 PM  Show Profile
Good question!

We're located just beneath the Candian border (I can wave at Meggie on a clear day!) It's the busiest border crossing in the US outside of Niagra Falls. But I don't think Canadians coming down to shop really counts.

We're well known for our skiing here; people flock from around the world to ski Mt. Baker.

We're also situated along Puget Sound, where there's fishing, whale watching, sailing and the like. Our shoreline is rocky, so no sandy beaches, but it's quite lovely just the same!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  05:07:00 AM  Show Profile
Here in rural moore county, the biggest attraction is the pottery.

I think there are 3 or 4 main families who started out here well over 100 years ago. Now there are over 200 potters from all over witin a 20 mile radius. There's a bit of snobbery that floats around too, mostly from the locals. Something about not being a real potter if it hasn't been handed down from generation to generation.

Whatever..... Hubby and I are friends with several families. We tend to patronize those whose works are practical, have excellent craftmanship and have pretty glazes. I'm not much for dust collecting vases that sit on shelves. Our plates and bowls are used every day. Whenever we have guests, the table looks pretty with all the different glaze patterns. It's all by the same potter, so essentially it is all tied together too.

When you see how much effort goes into making pottery and the pain staking detail that goes into wood firing. It gives you a better appreciation when someone charges a higher price.

The other big attraction one county over is the NC Zoo. It's located in central NC so it can be easily access from all over the state.

Both hubby and I work here.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Your county Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page