StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2240 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2240 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2024 :  11:20:55 AM  Show Profile
We used to have cedar waxwings twice a year on their annual migrations. Unfortunately bird flu took its toll on our birds. I no longer see many of the smaller birds, just an occasional English sparrow, and our magpies are gone. I see a robin or two when the white mulberry is fruiting. Luckily we still have a pair of scrub jays, a mockingbird, and the crows visit in the spring and summer. Up in the hills at our trailer we still have several varieties of finches and many hummingbirds. My daughter lives on the other side of the Sierras and still has lots of magpies.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21
I'm old and I do wear purple
Go to Top of Page

Wanda Sue
True Blue Farmgirl

1155 Posts

Wanda
Murrells Inlet SC
USA
1155 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2024 :  1:12:56 PM  Show Profile
I have only seen Cedar waxwings once in my life and that was over 25 years ago. When I stayed home with my son, he was about three years old. We were lucky enough to have them stop at our house during their migration. There were hundreds of them on our Holly bushes, and they wiped out every berry on the bushes in just a few hours!

A day hemmed in prayer is less likely to unravel.

Farm Girl #3677
Farmgirl of the Month: Aug/2022

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2024 :  5:11:35 PM  Show Profile
I saw one today while we were doing yard work. I was so excited to see it I almost trampled the flowers I just finished planting when I turned to go tell JT. So glad I didn't.

~Denise
Sister #43~

"I am a bookaholic and I have no desire to be cured."

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

"Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet and a light unto my path." Psalm 119:105

http://www.ladybugsandlilacs.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - May 12 2024 :  08:50:41 AM  Show Profile
Happy Mother’s Day Farm Sisters, have a Beautiful Day.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind
Farmgirl of the Month September 2012, February 2018, September 2022
“My altars are My Mountains
and the Ocean.” Lord Byron”

When I am Old I Shall Wear Purple, I am Old now!!

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  08:32:42 AM  Show Profile

Summer is officially here and I personally am so happy. I love summer! So many more things for me and my family to do and I want to enjoy it every moment of it.
The best thing is it stays light longer so I can stay longer on the beach, longer hikes or enjoy a ride to the next town to see what is going on there.
We are already making summer plans, little day trips around where we live to see and enjoy the things we have not seen yet. Like the waterfalls right down the way or a picnic on the lake and putting my toes in the water. It all makes me giggle and feel like a little girl again and now that summer is here I can not wait to get started.
Enjoy your first weekend of summer farmsisters.
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6910 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6910 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  09:00:05 AM  Show Profile
Debbie, for me I survive the summer and count the days till that first blue northern blows across the Red River out of OK into Texas. I feel about the fall like you do the summer. I start dreaming of the fall the first day of summer.

Hugs, Sara "FarmGirl Sister" #6034 Aug 2014
FGOTM Sept 2015 - Feb 2019 - Oct 2023

Lord put your arm around my shoulders & your hand over my mouth.
Go to Top of Page

debbieklann
Sharpshooter/Schoolmarm

767 Posts

Debbie
Madras OR
USA
767 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  09:07:49 AM  Show Profile
Sara, you and I are kindred spirits. Our summers are crazy busy and stressful with farm work and I am not a hot weather fan. I love September and live for those cool mornings and just right afternoons.

Debbie Klann
Farmgirl Sister #770
2018 Farmgirl of the Year

"Well behaved women seldom make history"....Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile
Sara, when I lived in Colorado I felt the same way you do as it got so hot. I loved fall in Colorado with the cooler temperatures and beautiful fall colors.
Thankfully it does not get real hot here on the coast, just enough to know it is summer.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2240 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2240 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  11:49:58 AM  Show Profile
When I was a child growing up in the Bay Area I couldn't wait for summer. We hardly ever had a day over 90 there. Summer meant hide and seek games till dark and picnics in the park. Then I married and moved to the valley where the temperatures are seldom under 90 with too many over 100. I don't take heat well so I'm pretty much a prisoner of the a/c. Spring and fall are my favorites; I even like winter better than summer.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2024 :  12:05:42 PM  Show Profile
Oh I sure do not like nor would I enjoy the temps you have now Judith. But I sure do remember those temps growing up, I was born and raised in Missouri. I do not miss the temps but sure miss all the fun we had during summer.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Edited by - Blessed in Colorado on Jun 21 2024 12:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6589 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6589 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2024 :  5:19:22 PM  Show Profile
For some reason, I have never looked at this group for us "older girls"! LOL!! I am jumping in to join in the conversations with all of you.

As to hot and humid summers, I have lived in Florida since 1973 when I got married and have missed the more temperate states ever since! These long hot and humid months are getting to be a bigger burden as we get hotter sooner and it lasts longer.

I am like Sara, when the heat and humidity arrives in full force, I begin counting the days until September . Now, September continues to be a miserable month because we are in the prime of Hurricane season, but I justify bringing out my fall decorations and that always makes it easier to keep going. There is something about pumpkins and apples that I just love! Actually , we don't start to get anything close to fall until the end of November and even then it isn't that cool.

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

Lacey
Chapter Guru

169 Posts

Rea
Davis Ca
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2024 :  6:21:37 PM  Show Profile
Hi Judith,
I am close to your area and wow have we jumped into summer next week we are to get 102 to 104 degree heat!
Stay in and enjoy the a/c!

Rea Nakanishi
Farm Girl Of The Month Jan. 2022
“Action is the foundational key to all success.”
– Pablo Picasso
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2024 :  7:44:25 PM  Show Profile
Hi Winnie, so happy you found us. We are all in and out but I try to check in as often as I can.
Rea good to see you here too.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  02:44:52 AM  Show Profile
I'm with you all. I loved summer as a kid in upstate NY. I don't remember hot temps like now but then we spent summers at the lake where my grandparents lived. I do remember sunburns but that is probably because we spent so much time on or in the water. They lived close to the mountains. We would camp in summer too. I love to camp but can't take the heat and humidity. It wasn't humid there like it is here now. I live in the ac in summer and look forward to fall and winter. The colder the better for me. I do miss the summers of childhood. It was my favorite time of year then but now fall is my favorite. Guess it changes as you get older maybe.

~Denise
Sister #43~

"Home is where we find comfort, security, memories, friendship, hospitality, and above all, family. It is the place that deserves our commitment and loyalty." William J. Bennett

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6910 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6910 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  05:29:15 AM  Show Profile
It's hotter than blazes here but the mornings are cool to enjoy if I am up early enough. When it gets to be over 80 when I get up at 6 I know I won't be sticking my head outside pass 7 when the watering is done until sundown when I water again. These are the days I thought of back in spring when we were having dark days and a lot of rain. The rain stopped, the heat began, and I dream of fall. Like Winnie said Sept is still hot and in Texas it may last into Oct but even with the heat it's better in the fall because the sun is in a different place in the sky and the heat is less harsh. Trust me on this one you can feel the difference in Aug heat and Oct heat.

Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2240 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2240 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  11:34:08 AM  Show Profile
I agree Sara -- the October heat is somehow gentler than the wicked August heat. And the air smells different too. I'm the opposite of you; I'm a night owl and enjoy the cool dark quiet time and water at night.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

StitchinWitch
True Blue Farmgirl

2240 Posts

Judith
Galt CA
USA
2240 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  11:38:12 AM  Show Profile
Hi Rea -- It's nice to see someone kind of close to me here.

Judith

7932 FGOTM 6/21, 6/24
Go to Top of Page

Red Tractor Girl
True Blue Farmgirl

6589 Posts

Winnie
Gainesville Fl
USA
6589 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2024 :  11:58:47 AM  Show Profile
Hey Sara, you are right that after September, October can really feel different with less daylight and position of the sun. But down here it still can be humid and that is what makes it tough for me.

Hey Judith, I like that adjective for August heat: WICKED!! LOL!! That is a perfect description! We had a shower at noon and now it is just a sauna outside. The plants are loving it because we have been very dry the past month.

]

Winnie #3109
Red Tractor Girl
Farm Sister of the Year 2014-2015
FGOTM- October 2018
Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6910 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6910 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2024 :  11:27:15 AM  Show Profile
Thought I would check in and see what's going on, not much with all this heat I suspect. Tropical storm Beryl is to make landfall in south Texas beginning of the week, so I hope there is some rain left for Paris and my gardens. The track of the storm shows it's heading toward Tennessee so maybe Connie will get rain too.

With the heat I spend my days after early morning and before sunset in the house doing what I do best, piddling. Working on a wool applique table runner for my sister who is moving at the end of the month back to Mass to be closer to her two girls. I will miss her, but she needs to be with her daughters. I guess I will get off here and go piddle some more.

Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2024 :  11:47:36 AM  Show Profile
Sara, I hope you and Connie both get the rain y’all need from Beryl and nothing else. It has been unusually hot here on the coast of Coos Bay, 97-103 degrees, now that’s too darn hot for this old lady. Bring the upper 70’s back please.
Tuesday to celebrate my birthday we will go to Lake, walk around a bit then have an early supper and birthday celebration. We have not been to this particular lake or lodge since we moved her 4 years ago so we are really looking forward to it. It will be a fun end to a wonderful day.
Enjoy the rest of your Sunday all.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

Nancy Joplin
True Blue Farmgirl

207 Posts

Nancy
Ontario California
USA
207 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2024 :  1:52:39 PM  Show Profile
Debbie - Wow! that is hot for Coos Bay! My sister lives in Florence, so I have been to Coos Bay many times. . .that is really hot!

Nancy 8352
Go to Top of Page

Blessed in Colorado
True Blue Farmgirl

6579 Posts

Debbie L.
Oregon
USA
6579 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2024 :  2:06:01 PM  Show Profile
Oh we love Florence such a pretty little town.
Ever coming through Coos Bay again let me know, maybe we can meet up for a cup of coffee or lunch.

Big Hugs,
Debbie
Blessed in Oregon
With Colorado on My Mind

Go to Top of Page

YellowRose
True Blue Farmgirl

6910 Posts

Sara
Paris TX
USA
6910 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2024 :  2:49:24 PM  Show Profile
Forecast now may have the tropical storm upgrading to a hurricane when it hits Texas. What will be will be.

I've been watching Pie in the Sky on BritBox on my laptop so I guess I better get off and to something constructive.

Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9321 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9321 Posts

Posted - Jul 07 2024 :  6:05:01 PM  Show Profile
Sara, keeping all you gals there in prayers for safe keeping.

~Denise
Sister #43~

Go to Top of Page

Tumbleweed
True Blue Farmgirl

1029 Posts

Nancy
Texas
USA
1029 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2024 :  5:01:01 PM  Show Profile
Hey Sara,
Has it been raining all day in your area? I am 70 miles south of you.

We have had rain all day. We went down to Tyler today and it was raining all the way there and all the way back. It has been raining and windy all day. Hoping we don't find too many tree limbs tomorrow. We have a lot of oak trees on our property and around our house. Kinda scary

TW

When life gives you more than you can stand.....kneel !
Grateful, Thankful and Blessed!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Gathered Up:  60 and Over Farmgirls Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page