Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Clothespin Swap--All have shipped!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Clothespin Swap--All have shipped! Next Topic
Page: of 12

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  09:32:04 AM  Show Profile
Sorry 'Girls, but I'm going to have to bow out of this one after all. I think it's a fantastic idea, but the fact that I woke up with butterflies in my stomach thinking about all of my projects and our family plans for May and June isn't a good sign. Be sure to post photos of what you all come up with here so I can live vicariously through you all! Keeping my fingers crossed for a clothesline yet this year, but I'll have to use my boring old clothespins for a while. Have fun!

Catherine

My Blog: http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
My Etsy Shop: http://yogurtandgranola.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9371 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9371 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  10:52:26 AM  Show Profile
Catherine,
Sorry you cannot join us. Understand about projects and other commitments. We have a lot going on in May too. Surely you'll see what we all came up with. Hope you join in on the next one!

Denise~nj

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  11:29:12 AM  Show Profile
Count me in. Please give an ides of HOW MANY to send....
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  12:23:43 PM  Show Profile
Add me to the list... but I have some comments about the cost of postage... The information above is not entirely correct. And remember that postage is going up drastically next month.

The flat rate price is going to be $9.15 (up more than a dollar) as of next month (May 15 or so)... The weight of the pins is not going to be enough to justify using this package. This is for VERY HEAVY packages.

The regular Priority Mail padded envelope or box starts at $4.60 but that is for amounts of less than 16 oz. It is more if the package weighs more than that. The pins should weigh less than 16 oz.

I recommend that someone take a package of clothes pins in a plain yellow padded envelope and weigh them (in the envelope) on a postal scale to see how much a full package of clothespins would be. Then use the USPS website to calculate the postage needed. I guarantee that first class postage will be a lot less than $4.60 and it won't take much more time than priority mail.

Here's a hint. Weigh and buy the postage from one of those automatic kiosks at the post office or use regular stamps. If you buy postage online or mail the packages from the post office line(from the counters) they will tell you that you can only send them priority mail. Don't know why but it costs way more that way. I have mailed a ton of packages from the house by using regular yellow envelopes and stamps and they get to their destination without any problems.

I also recommend pairing us up to do the swap so we only have to pay one way postage, rather than paying it two ways. That also gives us a full set of whatever pins we get.

If someone wants to swap with more than one person, we could either pair up into groups of more than two, do a second swap later, or put their name in more than once and they send complete sets of pins to each partner.

With all the swaps going on, it just makes sense to me to pay as little postage as possible.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  6:41:19 PM  Show Profile
I'll join but I need to know how many I need to make.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  7:02:45 PM  Show Profile
Okay, if I can make it to May 1st and get all my swaps I have already signed up for done and in the mail without having a heart attack, I will still be alive to do this one. I have had a very interesting last few days with my husband, my birthday, a clothesline and my inlaws, so this swap is just in time to add humor to my life. Count me in!!!!
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  7:40:38 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
I'm not entirely experienced in the whole swap thing ~ but I think the point of this one was to get a whole bunch of different pins, right? So pairing up wouldn't be too conducive to that.

Let me know if this is a lame idea ~ but can't we each just send $5 to the co-ordinator with our pins to cover mailing them back out? Like I said, maybe it's lame ~ just thinking it'd be easy :)

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  7:42:04 PM  Show Profile
Whatever works for me I am so easy!!!!!!!!!!!1
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  8:50:51 PM  Show Profile
Some swaps are done this way, some are done by pairing up folks. Either way is fine, it just depends on what our goal is... If our goal is to get a bunch of different ones, then yes, my idea doesn't necessarily work.

I was just sharing the news that postage was going to increase next month (which I didn't know until last night) in case we wanted to think about doing it another way...

In any event, if you want to save some money on postage, mail them first class instead of priority.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  9:18:51 PM  Show Profile
I have hosted many swaps, not on this board, but I have a fair amount of experience with hosting.

Shipping cost, is usually covered 2 ways, first every one goes flat rate... this makes it really easy for the hostess, but best for heavy swaps with soap and candle makers. Second is everyone sends in what it cost to ship their box out(in cash, stamps, checks or what ever the hostess prefers). Plus $1-$2. The extra buck or 2 covers tissue, packing peanuts, baggies, tape... and the little extras that add up.

This one may or may not fit into a flat rate envelope. Great if it does, but for friends what is a few extra bucks to ship a box full.

I usually require that everyone puts there swap item(s) in a baggie that has your name/screen name on it and anything you would like to share with the group, be a funny story that happened while you were making your item or if your theme has a greater meaning. It is nice to put a name with an item...

I usually also add a little hostess gift as a thank you for hosting. It is a fair amount of work boxing everything up (so no one gets theirs back by mistake ) and getting them all out. Or if I am hosting, I have a special gift for the first 3 that arrive.... the faster they all get to the hostess, the quicker they get resent... and the happier people are.

I hope this helps...

E-
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  12:13:41 AM  Show Profile
Oh, and here is one more thought. Doing up a bunch....If you send 5 you get back 5. If you sent 18 you get back 18. This way you do what you can without feeling like you have to do too many. Does that make any sense. Keeping in mind that if you do say 36, you might just get back some of your own! *g* You get out of the collective pot what you put in.

Just random thoughts. Oh, and WELCOME to Botanical Bath/Elizabeth!!

Kitchenwitch: I have mine ready to send. Have you decided if you will receive them and then mix them up and redistribute them?
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!

Edited by - Aunt George on Apr 24 2007 02:58:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 24 2007 :  06:21:17 AM  Show Profile
bump sorry trying to keep swaps that are going on now at top
Go to Top of Page

levisgrammy
True Blue Farmgirl

9371 Posts

Denise
Beavercreek Ohio
USA
9371 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  05:38:26 AM  Show Profile
Kristina,
Just wondering how many we have now for this swap?
My children are planning an anniversary celebration for us in May and I thought because I will have company during that time I would not be able to do this. Since they are not due to you till June it should work out.
I posted some projects we have been doing around here on my blog if anyone wants to take a look.

Denise

"The earth is the Lord's and the fullness thereof and all that dwell therein."

www.torismimi.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  06:31:38 AM  Show Profile
I think we should all do a specific number, say 5, and send them to 1 person to distribute. From what I've seen this seems to work really well.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  09:27:55 AM  Show Profile
I'm inclined to agree with Kim. Postage can kill fun things like this. Let's get partnered-up and send a set number of pins. OR, if we want a variety, let's send just a few, like two,to everybody on the list...um, how many on the list? I just don't see any point in them being mailed twice.
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  09:31:46 AM  Show Profile
I personally do not have a preferance as to how we send these to each other. I think we should all just let the hostess decide, part of the fun is just being a part of it.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:55:33 AM  Show Profile
Mine are ready, just let me know who, when, where to send them to!
G

Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:07:13 AM  Show Profile
Personally I am game for anything. I was thinking 2 clothespins each x the number of swappers. But I do think we should leave it up to our swap hostess.

Just from swap hostess experience, it is going to be a real pain if everyone sends in different amounts. What is easiest for the hostess.... everyone send in one per swapper (or if multiples, each is sent in it's own bag to the hostess). All of the boxes going out have the same number of items... and the boxes pretty much all weigh the same.

On shipping.... I had to check this out. 35 new undecorated wire spring clothes pins weigh approx 8 oz. To ship 2 lbs USPM from Ohio to Fairbanks Alaska is $6.05 for a box or $4.05 for a envelope. This is such a light item, the difference in shipping is not much if everyone sends out 5 or 50.

Edited by - BotanicalBath on Apr 25 2007 12:05:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  11:46:29 AM  Show Profile
I agree with Elizabeth. Let me know how many to make!!! I have an idea already!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

rosiegirl
Farmgirl in Training

13 Posts

Amy
Vancouver Washington
USA
13 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  12:28:40 PM  Show Profile
I would love to be apart of that swap. Cool idea. Count me in.

Your fellow farmgirl, Amy!

God bless, ya'll!
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  2:09:31 PM  Show Profile
Hi Amy! and welcome to MJ's Farm. I hope you like it here!!!

Welcome to the clothespin swap!
G

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  5:35:57 PM  Show Profile
Oh my word!!! I have been to 3 different stores & all 3 of them did not have wooden clothes pins in stock! Only plastic ones. I even went to Michael's Craft thinking they would...Nope!
I think this weekend I will head over to Simi Valley, surley Wally World (mart) has some,,,in-stock.
The funny thing is, I had a whole jar full of new clothes pins,,,but packed them away with the majority of my craft room stuff (getting ready to move in 2 months)and they are in storage,,,somewhere.
Oh well, I will find the c.pins this week end. I bought the goodies for decorating them today. So I am 1/2 way done! LOL!
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

Cindy Lee
True Blue Farmgirl

510 Posts

Cindy
Sparks Nevada
USA
510 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  8:18:48 PM  Show Profile
Georgann, you're already done? Slow down girl, you're making the rest of us look bad! Cindy

Edited by - Cindy Lee on Apr 25 2007 8:20:58 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:16:40 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Oh my goodness!!! So many cooks stiring the pot here!!!

Kristina, I think it is a really cute and fun idea!! I don't have a clothes line yet..but one day soon I will!! So these will be a wonderful treasure to save for that great day!!! I like the idea of having a treat from a bunch of farmgirls!! So if there is still room, I would love to join in! Let me know which box/package you decide to use so I know how much cash to send! I am so excited I think they will be adorable!! Thank you so much for doing this!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  01:29:34 AM  Show Profile
A friend said that Dollar Tree has the round and flat slotted wooden ones, and the wooden spring kind.

I have not started... I dont even have clothes pins yet... I will shop tomorrow.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Clothespin Swap--All have shipped! Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page