mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  11:32:15 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have recipes for canning deer meat? My husband hunts and we eat a lot of it-we tried the canned meat and liked it ( a friend gave us a can) Also- just recipes in general for deer meat since we eat so much of it. Thanks!

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  5:16:16 PM  Show Profile
I can deer meat...for complete instructions I would recomend going to www.backwoodshomemagazine.com and click on the ask Jackie link. In her archives (chock full of great info by the way..she is my hero!!!!!) there are instructions. Let me know if you can't get there from here..and I will help. She did an article in the latest issue on canning meats too...
One hint..when you can any venison or other wild meat be sure to trim off every bit of fat and bone..that is where the gamey taste comes from..huge difffence in taste. I grew up on game meats and we still eat venison, elk and antelope all the time. Good luck!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  06:40:13 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Jenny- I will do that and will let you know if I have any problems.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 22 2007 :  9:53:32 PM  Show Profile
Kimberly,
I would certainly check with my county extension office. They have home economists that can give you information and brochures on canning meat and other things safely at nominal cost or even for free.

Jana
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  05:19:11 AM  Show Profile
Jenny- Elk is the best meat I have ever had. We were supposed to go to Colorado last October to hunt elk- but my father-in-law passed away and we couldn't go. Is there a place where you can purchase elk meat??
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  06:34:36 AM  Show Profile
I always can venison using a pressure canner and the Ball Blue book. I add half a slice of bacon to each quart to add flavor and help it taste just so awesome. We reheat it on the stove and make it into a gravy. You can serve it with mashed potatoes or rice or toast.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  09:30:43 AM  Show Profile
Oh bacon DOES make it better!! I have done that too, but havn't lately..will do it next time for sure.
Kimberly..I have never bought elk, but there must be somewhere to buy it. I have enough sons, uncles and a brother to bring me all the game meat I can use. Uncle brought elk for me from colorado in March (from his last hunt) and son, brother and brother in law brought venison and antelope in October on their way home from hunting in Colorado and Wyoming. My husband isn't a hunter, but I still get supplied.
I would ask at a local butcher who does game processing and see if he knows where to buy Elk if I were you. It is my favorite too.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  3:31:47 PM  Show Profile
you guys are making me HUNGRY!

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  04:22:47 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Clare- I will add bacon when I can. Thanks everyone.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic canning deer meat Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page