smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  09:06:56 AM  Show Profile
Does anyone have any recipes for cooking with yogurt? I have a source for free yogurt for my family and I get cases and cases of it. I cannot force anymore yogurt down my kids. We have made plenty of smoothies and popsicle and the like, but I am looking for recipes for foods made with yogurt. Can anyone help me? Thanks...jess

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  09:55:40 AM  Show Profile
The biscuit recipe calls for plain yogurt. I always make ham salad to go with biscuits so I included my favorite ham salad recipe too.

Miss Jane's Better Biscuit recipe

2 cups whole wheat flour, sifted (I used soft wheat but red wheat is fine too)
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoons salt
6 Tablespoons butter cut into 1/2 inch pieces
2/3 cup plain yogurt

Preheat oven to 425 degrees

Mix dry ingredients together, cut in butter till resembles pea-sized crumbles. Mix and add yogurt a little at a time till it forms a ball. (I used a food processor but you can do it in a bowl) Be careful not to over mix or your biscuits will be tough. Knead dough on lightly floured surface several times till smooth. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thick and cut using a biscuit cutter or a small glass jar. Dip the rim of glass or cutter in flour to make cutting dough easier. Bake for 15 minutes or till done.

When the biscuits are cool split them open and pile it high with ham salad. Enjoy. Makes 8-12 biscuits depending on how big they are.

Miss Letties Ham Salad on a biscuit

1 pound cooked ham from the deli, 1/4 inch thick slices, diced
3 ribs celery, from the heart, finely chopped
1/2 c salad olives with pimento, drained, chopped
1 jalepeno pepper, seeded, finely chopped
4 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup flat leaf parsley chopped
1/3 cup mayonnaise, just enough to bind the salad
3 tablespoons of prepared yellow mustard
3 tablespoons of dill pickle relish
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasonings to taste. Place in refrigerator for at least 1 hour to chill.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  10:02:42 AM  Show Profile
thanks so much we will be eating your style for dinner tomorrow night...jess
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:29:02 AM  Show Profile
Have you ever made yogurt cheese? I use plain yogurt (homemade or Stoneyfields whole milk plain) and I use a yogurt strainer but you could use a few sheets of a fine cheese cloth and strain it yourself over a small bowl in the fridge. The longer you leave it to strain the thicker and denser it gets. I use it as an alternative to cream cheese on my bagels. I spread it on toast as well. I'm sure there are other uses for it but I just like it as a spread.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:33:50 AM  Show Profile
have not tried that, sounds interesting, will look around for instructions...unless you have more tips...jess
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  11:35:40 AM  Show Profile
Ok I got this from my donvier yogurt cheese maker instruction booklet.

Banana Cheesecake

crust:
1 1/2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
1/4 cup granulated sugar
5 tbsp unsalted butter, melted

filling:
2 bananas, mashed
4 large eggs
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups plain yogurt cheese

topping:
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 tbsp granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla

In food processor or large bowl, mix wafer crumbs, sugar, and melted butter until well blended. Press crumbs evenly over bottom and up side of an ungreased 9 in springform pan. Chill thoroughly. In food processor, blend bananas, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs on at a time, blending well after each addition. Add yogurt cheese and blend just until combined. Pour filling into crust. Bake in a preheated oven 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Blend yogurt, sugar and vanilla together. Spread topping over baked cheesecake and return to oven for 5 minutes. cool and refridgerate up to 12 hours before serving.

Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  8:12:16 PM  Show Profile
My family enjoyed the biscuits...we have had them twice. we made some changes to the ham salad, but it still resembles your recipe...I got two thumbs up. Thank you. Jess
Go to Top of Page

faithmarie
True Blue Farmgirl

143 Posts

faith
wappingers falls new york
USA
143 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  05:18:41 AM  Show Profile
Hi
I make potato salad with my yogurt. I just made 4 gallons of goat yogurt. And I make a soft serve goat yogurt ice cream.
I make the yogurt cheese that UrbanChick is talking about.
I make a salad dressing for salad and for ovet fried breaded chicken strips in pita bread.

The potato salad
potatoes-
1 clove garlic crushed - optional
scallions chopped
yogurt 1 cup
mayo 3 large spoons
salt and pepper to taste
make like any potato salad , add what you would and in scallions, a table spoon or a cup. Mix the mayo, I always use hellmans if I dont make my own, with the yogurt. Experiment with it. It is my grandmothers recipe and she didnt measure anything.
I am the same way.

I make the dressing the same way. Mayo and yogurt a little garlic and I put fetta cheese in insted of the scallions.

I make the yogurt with frozen fruit and honey and a little yogurt. Blender it. I have a vita mix now that helps alot.I say alittle yogurt becase I keep adding becase if i put to much it will be just a smoothy.

I made the dressing and potato salad alot for kids after church for years and my kids and they all lived it. It is very light and mild and refreshing.

I hope this helps, Faith

To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven
Go to Top of Page

smoothiejuice
True Blue Farmgirl

6309 Posts

Jessica
Bloomington Indiana
USA
6309 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  06:32:16 AM  Show Profile
Thanks, will try it as I just received yet another cooler full.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:57:43 AM  Show Profile
I use plain yogurt for almost anything that calls for sour cream - from quiches to using it on burritos - most of the time nobody even knows the difference unless I tell them!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

theoanne
True Blue Farmgirl

282 Posts

teddie
CARROLLTON GA
282 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  5:17:47 PM  Show Profile
Yogurt
jello semi set up
and fruit(usually same flavor as the jello)
stir together and chill until all is set-up. The kids will love it for dessert.
ALSO
I make yogurt, fruit, and granola parfaits for breakfast. Just layer in a clear cup.

I also substitute the plain yogurt for sour cream and even have used it in a recipe when I'm out of milk.

TEDDIE

Too blessed to be stressed!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic cooking with yogurt? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page