lambgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Heidi
Ellensburg wa
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 25 2007 :  10:08:52 PM  Show Profile
My Grandma used to make walnut preserves. It was a jam like spread and it was so yummy. I remember when I was little I would always ask her for walnut deserves. She used to keep her walnut meats in an old metal flour can on the highest shelf in her pantry, my cousins and I would always try and sneak into them. I have looked high and low for the recipe and my Mom can't remember how it was made. So if anyone out there has the recipe I would be forever grateful.

Heidi

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  12:57:50 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Heidi,
I dont know if this is what you were looking for but here is one recipe! If I find any more I will add them later!
Hugz!!
Talitha

Green walnuts preserves/
Dulceata de nuci verzi

2 lbs/1 kg sugar, 3 cups water, 22 oz/650 g peeled green walnuts, 1/2 cup honey, 1/2 vanilla stick, juice from 1/2 lemon

Remove the green peel from the walnuts and as you peel, place in a bowl with cold water lest they darken. Then place the walnuts in a pot with boiling water and leave for 15 minutes. Drain and place in a pot with cold water, also for 15 minutes. Repeat this procedure (hot water to cold water) three times. In the meantime, make the syrup, remove foam, add honey and vanilla. When the syrup starts to thicken, add the walnuts and lemon juice, letting simmer until the preserves are done. Remove from heat, cover with a wet cloth and place in jars when cold.

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

lambgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

93 Posts

Heidi
Ellensburg wa
USA
93 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  9:45:49 PM  Show Profile
Hi Talitha

Thanks for the recipe. My mom corrected me and said they were conserves. Your recipe sounds yummy I will definelty have to try it.

Thanks again
Heidi
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Recipe for Walnut Preserves? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page