Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  4:53:20 PM  Show Profile
DH found a great sale on canned goods and came home with four cases of green beans.

Now I'm not a big fan of canned green beans... Any ideas for recipes using them? I have the traditional Green Bean Casserole recipe using cream of mushroom soup, but I find it too heavy for very frequent use. Any other suggestions??

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  6:57:46 PM  Show Profile
you can use it in chicken divan instead of using peas or broccoli just use the green beans.drain them well.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Apr 11 2007 6:58:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  7:13:56 PM  Show Profile
You can make a bean salad or use them in a regular salad. The hot thing now is fried green beans. Add them to vegetable soup.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/

Edited by - Kim on Apr 11 2007 7:14:12 PM
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  7:19:23 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
I always throw a jar (home canned) in my stews, I'm not a big fan either ~ but mixed in like that it's pretty good.

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  8:06:11 PM  Show Profile
Let's see....I make green beans (and the recipe calls for canned) that my mom always expects for every dinner she's invited to...I've taken them as an afterthought to dinners and potlucks and everyone raves. Except my husband who doesn't like vinegar!

2-cans of beans, drained
1/2 cup brown sugar,
1/2 cup vinegar
lb of bacon
large onion, chopped

Fry your bacon crisp, cool,and crumble by hand. Set aside.
Pour 1/2 cup bacon drippings into bowl; mix with a 1/2 cup of vinegar and 1/2 cup of brown sugar. Whisk all together.

Layer green beans, onions, green beans, onions, bacon on top. Pour marinade mix over the top, cover with foil, refrigerate over nite and bake at 350 for 45 mins. or until bacon is browned and crisp on top.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  8:27:09 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jonni,
That sounds really good! Thank you so much for sharing! I am not a fan of green beans, but this may do the trick!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

KellyA
True Blue Farmgirl

237 Posts

Kelly
Johnsonville NY
USA
237 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Send KellyA an AOL message
Hmmm...I like the sound of that recipe from Jonni! My hubby loves canned green beans...go figure!

Kelly

When a cookbook is in hand, life is good!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:09:27 AM  Show Profile
Canned green beans or no, you can't go wrong with bacon, bacon grease and brown sugar. I've been making this for so many years now, but it's always too good to change to another recipe.

Let me know if you try it, and how you like it. It's also really easy, which is another reason I like it. You can assemble it ahead and bake it with something else if need be.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  5:47:03 PM  Show Profile
OMG, you make me remember a bumper crop of green beans we had, quite a few years ago. I picked and canned, picked and canned, and then one day started counting. I had almost a hundred jars of green beans! I realized I'd have to eat them at least twice a week for a year to use up what I'd put up before the next harvest!

I tilled the rest of them in.

It was probably ten years before I could eat green beans again! It wasn't like I didn't like them anymore, but I sure was done with them!

And we don't want to even talk about the sixty tomato plants I put out in 1982....
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  10:03:01 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
ROFLOL Mary Ann!!! Too funny!1 I am like that if I eat too much of something I dont like it anymore for a longggggggg time! ....
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  06:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I like to fry up some bacon, add lots of garlic, add the green beans and coat with olive oil. Tastes better the next day!!!
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  12:13:38 PM  Show Profile
The green bean recipe I learned from my mother is actually the best (in my & DH's opinions) with canned green beans, and is similar to others that have been posted. Saute chopped bacon and chopped onions briefly. Add a can or two of drained green beans (I sometimes rinse them under water to reduce the saltiness a bit) and then add either a couple chopped tomatoes or a can of chopped tomato or tomato sauce. Add pepper to taste, and simmer until the onions are soft. This is one of those dishes that seems to get better the longer it simmers. However, I've whipped it up in a few minutes by simply sauteing the onions until they are completely cooked, then throwing everything together.
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  10:02:05 AM  Show Profile
I almost forgot, my mother used to drizzle italin dressing on beans sometimes
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Canned Green Beans Next Topic