Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 Ziploc Omelet! It really works :-)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ziploc Omelet! It really works :-) Next Topic  

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  12:20:20 PM  Show Profile
The other day I borrowed a cookbook from a friend. Inside was a recipe for a "ziploc omelet" Perfect, I thought, since my arm is in a cast this will solve the problem of chasing the pan around the stove. So on Saturday morning I decided to give the recipe a go....and it worked like a charm!!
The recipe is:
4 egg whites (I used 4 whole eggs)
1/2 Cup veggies or whatever you are putting in it.

You put everthing in a Ziploc, mix it up a little. Squeeze ALL the air out. Zip and put into a pot of water that's at a rolling boil for EXACTLY 13 minutes (mine took a little longer due to using the whole eggs rather than just whites. I also had tomatoes which added to the liquid factor. I just finished it off in a pan. It was much easier to manuever since it was a solid piece).
And VOILA!!!!!! An Omelet
It was darned good. Just be careful when getting it out of the bag that you don't drip water over the plate you're using or your omelet will be soggy.
I have to add though...make sure the bag is ALL THE WAY in the water rather than hanging out over the side of the pan...near the flame...like mine

Edited by - kreativeblonde on Apr 15 2007 12:21:24 PM

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  3:45:26 PM  Show Profile
We did this at girl's camp one year and it was fun..and you are right..it worked great! How fun. I had forgotten about this idea!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  6:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Amanda-

Thanks so much for the idea! That is a great tip. I will definitely have to try this next time that I am hankering for omelets! I would never have thought of doing this.

By the way Amanda, how is your arm doing? Any idea how much longer it has to be in a cast?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  7:17:56 PM  Show Profile
It's a totally kooky way of cooking, but it actually works...and you can eat it. I'm going to try different combinations, too. Actually, I cut the original one in half and used the 2nd half in a burrito (well, it was more of a taco by the time I was done with it) along with rice and beans-really good!. I just wrapped the whole thing up and popped it in the oven for 20 mins. and ta da. Brunch mmmmmmmm

Thanks for asking. I have one more week to go. The others went by fast, so i'm hopeful this one will too. I'm itchin' to get it off
Actually it hasn't been very itchy at all, i'm just ready to be able to use 2 hands.

quote:
Originally posted by Alee

Amanda-

Thanks so much for the idea! That is a great tip. I will definitely have to try this next time that I am hankering for omelets! I would never have thought of doing this.

By the way Amanda, how is your arm doing? Any idea how much longer it has to be in a cast?

Alee

Go to Top of Page

sleepless reader
True Blue Farmgirl

1022 Posts

CA
USA
1022 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  8:36:33 PM  Show Profile
Guess what we're going to try for breakfast? :)
Sharon

Life is messy. Wear your apron!
Go to Top of Page

OregonGal
True Blue Farmgirl

511 Posts

Chris
No. IL
USA
511 Posts

Posted - Apr 15 2007 :  8:56:35 PM  Show Profile
me too.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  03:32:17 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Amanda,
how neat! You had me laughing at the tip for keeping the baggie away from the flames! Will have to clue my husband in for this, our youngest son is ALWAYS wanting omelets and only daddy can make them ! this might be a way he can learn to do it for himself since teaching him with a skillet is out of the question due to his muscle tone, so thank you for the smile and the great tip! I do so hope this last week goes quickly and you can have both arms back in full use!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  06:55:19 AM  Show Profile
That's a cute idea, at least for occasional use. But it's best to not heat foods in plastic. There's pretty strong evidence that molecules of the plastic are driven into the food and ingested. Like teflon, we don't excrete it. Did you know that just about every single American has teflon in their blood? It comes from teflon pans, but also from deli food papers, fast food containers, carpeting, stain resistant treatments on furniture, etc.

I stick with plain stainless steel, cast iron, or corningware. But I'd do the ziploc thing if I had a broken arm, or if I had grandkids that needed entertainment.
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  10:53:22 AM  Show Profile
We have a huge New year's party at our home every year. Last year the people who came and spent the night were close to 60 people. We do ziplock omlets the next morning as it's a great way for everyone to eat what they want and at a time they want. We just make them write their names on the baggies. We do 2 whole eggs for 11 minutes. Also any meat you add needs to be precooked.
Daisy
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  11:04:00 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
60 houseguests?! My you are ambitious! I think I would do zip lock omelets with that many houseguest too! That must be a pretty large food bill though!

I got rid of all my non-stick pans once I found out about the Teflon issue a few years ago. I love my cast iron pans and my stainless steel.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  12:19:01 PM  Show Profile
Oops!!! Just remembered an important thing about the ziplocs...they have to be FREEZER bags...not the regular one's.
Tis recipe says that you can do 6-8 in one pan.

Wow! very impressive cooking for 60 Daisy! Good for you. What a nice way to start out the New Year. Good friends and good food are always a winning combination.

Thanks Mary Ann for the reminder on Plastic. I generally don't do this kind of "cooking", but it met all my needs...one hand/no pan and kept my tummy happy.
Amanda
theheadlettuce.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Daisy
True Blue Farmgirl

107 Posts

Daisy
Thistle Sprig Farm NW Indiana
USA
107 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  1:09:53 PM  Show Profile
Well, we have great friends so it's not as hard as 60 people may sound. But We have a huge Mexican food feast New years eve. There are usually people getting up by the time some of them are going to bed. Lots of fun activities for the kids and adults. Everyone pitches in on the food and brings their assigned foods for dinner and/or breakfast. And the best part is they clean up before they go home! You can't beat it! Like you said it's a great way to start off the New year, great friends and great food! I will admit to sheer exhaustion for a few days afterwards but while it's all happening it's so much fun you don't notice!
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Ziploc Omelet! It really works :-) Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page