Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Farm Kitchen
 3rd Times A Charm Sourdough Starter...I Hope!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 3rd Times A Charm Sourdough Starter...I Hope!! Next Topic  

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  08:56:16 AM  Show Profile
Can I just tell you what I've been through with this darn starter?

First, I botched it myself. I got the gumption to do it by reading MJs recipe for starter in her "Lifebook." So...being the dufus that I am and not having any flour on hand, I decided to use the budget mix. Well, let's just say it was an interesting science experiment that didn't quite go as I had hoped. And a rather expensive one as well. So it got tossed.

Next came The Real Deal. I bought honest-to-goodness whole-wheat flour. King Arthur Unbleached Unbromided Red Whole Wheat. Nurtured the starter, got a good healthy "Yeastie Beastie" going with a wonderful robust smell. Made a *delicious* batch of MJ's biscuits with them and they turned out beautifully. (And this is coming from a gal who traditionally *CANNOT* bake a biscuit to speak of!)

Then our family went on a mini-vacation over the DSs spring break. Since the starter was still so new, I asked a friend to babysit it for me. I know...I know...I could have put it in the fridge to slow it down. But I didn't. Well, one of her kids had a staph infection and - you guessed it - I'm fairly certain that the beastie caught it. When we returned, I picked it up and it didn't smell right. It had turned from a robust beer smell to a vinegar smell. I continued to tend it for the next two days and it didn't get any better. In fact, the vinegar smell got worse. So on a lark, I let it sit for two days without tending to see what would happen: it turned veiny blue (like penicillin) and got sludgy. Out to the trash it went--the garage, thanks to the heaven-forsaken smell. Buh-bye!!! Triple-washed the glass jar in the dishwasher and the wooden spoon in the sink.

Have any of you Sourdough Divas ever heard of your starter catching a "bug" before? DH was totally grossed out - he's not all that thrilled with my chemistry project anyway - and pretty much wanted me to bring in the garden hose to shower down all of the kitchen walls. (Yeah - as soon as he installs that drain in the middle of the floor! )

So yesterday I started *Yeastie Beastie - Part 3.* Already this morning, it had tripled in size! I'm guessing because it is warmer now than it was a month ago and the yeast are flourishing and are more active. So I fed it and closed it up, then spoke nicely to it.

So I'm reflecting about all of this drama. I am normally the type of cook who can throw *whatever* in a pan and it comes out phenomenally. My friends and family call me the Kitchen Alchemist because I combine ingredients that most people don't think of. And here I am struggling over starter for a decent homemade sourdough!!! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  11:09:01 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kaylyn-

I wouldn’t worry to much- It sounds like your first one turned out great and it failed due to no fault of your own. I am sure that Yeastie Beastie #3 will be great. I have been thinking of starting a starter of my own now that the weather is warming up.

Good Luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  3:57:05 PM  Show Profile
Kaylyn, I like the way you tell your story.(giggling) Hang in there, you'll get it. Also, there are several of us who would be tickled to share our starter with you. Sounds like you are learning so much in the process too. I haven't heard about starters catching human illnesses?
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 17 2007 :  7:35:51 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
How is the starter today? I need to start mine soon- I have been having some bread cravings!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  07:27:08 AM  Show Profile
Kaylyn, yes they can and do become contaminated. Good reason to put in the fridge when you won't be using it and also to dry some in case it does happen. Been down that road too.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  08:10:55 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Alee

How is the starter today? I need to start mine soon- I have been having some bread cravings! Alee

So far, so good!

By day one, *Yeastie Beastie 3* was already bubbly and smelly. I suspect that is because it is much warmer now than it was 5-6 weeks ago. Day 2 - it exploded on the inside of the jar and sealed the top shut - I had to knife the jar open yesterday to feed it! I haven't opened it yet today - 11a Central is "Feeding Time" - but it is very bubbly and already has a totally different appearance that YB1 or YB2 ever had. But Sunday will be the true test... ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 18 2007 :  3:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
*LOL* it sounds like some sort of science experiment mixed with "Little Shop of Horrors" "Feed me... Feed Me..."

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic 3rd Times A Charm Sourdough Starter...I Hope!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page