Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:42:28 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
Okay, so this is sort of gross but I wanted to ask here since you gals have such a broad base of knowledge and experience. We have an Australian Shepherd who is 16 1/2 years old. He has always had problems with anal glands and so when our son mentioned that old Buddy was on the smelly side again (I hadn't noticed!) that is what I thought of first. Well, I was clipping our Newfoundland down for summer (I think it will be warm eventually!) so I thought I'd clip Buddy's backside for the sake of hygiene and so that we could take him in to the vet to get that taken care of.

Much to my surprise, when I started clipping down the underside of his tail I found what looks like a tumor about the size of a pecan! Anal glands are on either side of the rectum but this is on the very base of his tail. I think it might be cancer. I guess at his age he has every right to get sick but wondered if anyone has had a dog with this condition. We can't get in to see the vet until next Monday afternoon (my work schedule) and the dog seems to be doing okay except for not eating as much. I had some antibiotics that I'm giving him on the off chance it is some kind of infection.... darn.

This dog has always been sort of a 'special needs child' and some days more trouble than not but I hate to think that he has cancer.... darn it.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:46:34 PM  Show Profile
Boy. I'm sorry that you had to find that sore like that...it could just be an abscess of some kind, a bit of a sore starting out, but dogs have a tendency to lick lick lick so there is an opportunity for infection for sure, which can also be real smelly. I would simply wait until you speak to the vet. If you have a cone, I'd put in on poor ol' Buddy's head until you see the vet--that will keep him from getting at it, anyway.

Good luck, and please keep us posted. Older dogs get all kinds of sores, so I'm hoping for the best!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  4:53:28 PM  Show Profile
I agree, it could just be an infection, escpecially if his glands are full of stinky stuff. I'll keep my fingers crossed for Buddy!!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  5:18:15 PM  Show Profile
I'll keep my fingers crossed & prayers said for Buddy, too! I hope it's nothing, just a benign growth - another hazard of old age. Please let us know when you find out. Sorry that you're having to wait so long to find out...that's probably going to be the hard part. Hang in there! ~ K

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  09:43:54 AM  Show Profile
It's just personal opinion but sometimes I think tumors could be caused by the garbage found in commercial pet food.

If you decided to get the tumor removed, would you consider a swich to a wholistic or non-mainstream food?

I once read where cancers feed off carbohydrates. Some testimonials have reported pets doing better when they were fed a mostly protien diet.

Either way, I'm sorry for your troubles but happy for your dog's thus far long life with you!

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 11 2007 :  5:51:46 PM  Show Profile
Oh I hope that its nothing serious. Poor Buddy

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

susan kate
True Blue Farmgirl

109 Posts

susan
Western Washington
109 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  09:09:37 AM  Show Profile
It might be also be a non-cancerous tumor. My 10 yo aussie, Jake (may he rest in peace) had a very slow growing anal tumor. The only reason I didn't have it removed was because he also had liver cancer and I was avoiding the further stress the surgery would cause on his health. The vet will do a biopsy and can tell what it is.

I would second the suggestion about diet. Do look into that if you are open to holistic or alternative dog foods. I have been feeding a homemade raw food diet for 12 years, and my dogs have done very well on it: kept allergies under control, fewer vet visits, etc. There are other feeding options as well.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  11:33:54 AM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
Thanks for all the advice. The dogs eat a high-quality kibble supplemented with vegetables. I don't think I am up to something more complicated at this point and feel that, for us at least, this approach has done well. After all, Buddy is 16+ and our Newfoundland & Great Pyr lived to be 13+ and 11+ which is very good for giant breed dogs. I was just alarmed that this 'thingy' popped up so quickly. He seems to be feeling fine. I guess Susan Kate is right, we'll find out after a biopsy. Thanks again.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Dog Question Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page