Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 Chicken Tractor or Portable Chicken Pen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Tractor or Portable Chicken Pen Next Topic  

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  2:35:05 PM  Show Profile
Has anyone made and used a chicken tractor or portable chicken pen?
I've want to get one or two made. My DH doesn't like them roaming around, so I thought we'd try this method.
Thanks!!!

Blessings,
Kristine ~ Mother of Many & Herbalist
www.herbalmomma.com

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  5:56:09 PM  Show Profile
if you do a google search on Chicken Tractors you will find many many and many more. MB
www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"

Edited by - Marybeth on Apr 06 2007 5:57:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  6:21:36 PM  Show Profile
We're doing this and know several other people who do. The absolute best source of information on this (and believe me, I've looked at every website, book -- thank goodness for interlibrary loan -- article, etc. on the topic) is Joel Salatin's book titled "Pasture Poultry Profits". The subtitle is something like "how you can net $25,000 in 6 months . . ." It is absolutely fantastic -- step by step for everything related to this, great pictures that show what he's talking about, pitfalls to be aware of, the whole nine yards. I rarely recommend a book this enthusiastically, but this one is unbelievably helpful.

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  07:17:26 AM  Show Profile
Our first tractors were overkill. We wanted to be sure they were sturdy. They were - and darned heavy. I'm replacing them this year with PVC pipe on wooden baseboards. I'll cover them with chicken wire and cover that with a light weight cloth that will give them shade.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

babs
True Blue Farmgirl

226 Posts

Babette
MN
USA
226 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  09:04:29 AM  Show Profile
I made one using PVC pipe and chicken wire. It has no bottom and no top. It spent a great deal of time inside the large dome tent corraling baby chickens or a duck. I liked unzipping the tent to get in more than lifting boards and wire or other (guy fixing). It was terribly handy during our annual bird sale I could just reach in and grab what I needed. The bonus was the ability to attach hanging feeders anywhere I wanted with a bit of scrap wire.

Babs

Hatching Eggs: www.countryegg.com
& Home Goods: www.mugwortmaggies.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  03:44:25 AM  Show Profile
We have 2. The first has a 2x4 used for a perch on the inside that doubles for a lift we can pick up and move. It's cumbersome but it works.

Our second is a bit beefier and come moving day, can be lifted up with a small dolly and wheels placed on 2 welded axles. Jacked up like this, I can swing and position the coop around by myself.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  08:26:09 AM  Show Profile
I have three chicken tractors and a "lamb tractor," too! I just love them. The book that started me off was "Chicken Tractor" (appropriately named) by Andy Lee, and we just sort of modified things from there. They are 8x4x3' (the 3' being the "tall" part). That size was basically due to the convenient size of lumber. They're covered with chicken wire on all sides except the bottom, and have tin sided shelters on one corner that we face toward the prevailing winds. On the top, there is a plywood door that has hinges to lift it up - it's big enough that if I need to climb in, I can. I just love this idea - our chickens roam around the farm freely until it's garden season, then, so they don't eat everything that comes up, we "tractor" them through the summer until harvest is over. The lambs (two little Icelandic/Navajo-Churros from Aunt Jenny) go into the lamb tractor (12x12x4') and mow the grass in the orchard every now and then, and then go out to pasture.

It's great! I've even named them - the Nina, the Pinta and the Santa Maria are the chicken tractors, and the lamb tractor is the Ark.

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  08:55:07 AM  Show Profile
You gals are awesome!
I never would have thought of using pvc. How do you all get the chickens (lambs) in?

The chicken tractor book is great.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:25:48 AM  Show Profile
The doors in the top of my tractors are large enough to pop the guys and gals right in the top. Hoisting the chickens in is no problem - the lambs, however, are a little more challenging...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

herbquilter
True Blue Farmgirl

891 Posts

Kristine
Bonney Lake Wa
USA
891 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  5:38:37 PM  Show Profile
Libbie,
Thanks for that, I think we'll do one with a top door for the chickens, & a end door for the turkey's.
We got 16 rir & 4 bronze turkey's today.

Blessings,
www.herbalmomma.com
Go to Top of Page

greentea
True Blue Farmgirl

76 Posts

Alicia
Wisconsin
USA
76 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  12:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Send greentea an AOL message  Send greentea a Yahoo! Message
Are your chickens layer or broilers. If you have layers do you have to build a cubby for them to lay in?

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 12 2007 :  8:41:31 PM  Show Profile
Mine are layers - I put a little nesting box in each "tractor," and all of the hens seem to take turns and lay their eggs in it. I love that they all use the same one - that way I don't have to put a while row of them in...

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Tractor or Portable Chicken Pen Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page