Page: of 2

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  3:22:47 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Who else here has a black kitty? As I roam around looking at blogs it seems every one I visit has a black kitty. Ours is Seamus...he's not very friendly to anyone but Husband and I, but he is my baby. Here's a picture.

Susan
http://www.thesoapmaven.com
http://notquitejunecleaver.com

Patsy
True Blue Farmgirl

592 Posts

Illinois
USA
592 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  3:32:12 PM  Show Profile
I have an all black kitty. His name is Max and he is the bully of the neighborhood with other animals. But he is afraid of all people but me.

May God bless those who love the soil,

Patsy

Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  4:05:35 PM  Show Profile
I have a black kitty that has white feet. We have had several black kitties over the years though. Ours name is Houdini. We have also had a Midnight and a Coal.

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:20:46 PM  Show Profile
Here is ours...his name is Reggie.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:30:50 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Awww I love to hear about your babies! Do you ever wonder what you would do without them??? We also have a grey stripe named Mo. And recently lost Ling Pao to feline leukemia. We miss him terribly. A dear friend of mine had a picture painted of him for me when he passed. It hangs in my kitchen.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:39:34 PM  Show Profile
We have black and white kitties. Always have. Our mostly black cat with a white triangle on her belly is Uncas and Mackenzie is what they call a tuxedo cat. Both are indoors and both are fat. Sometimes we call Uncas the little tick because she has a small head and a large body and it reminds me of a tick. She doesn't seem to mind though. My husbands favorite Mogwa died last year and her ashes are still on our mantle. She was a black and white cat and looked like a dairy cow. My husband can't get himself to bury her so she is there in her little urn on our mantle.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  8:53:42 PM  Show Profile
My black kitties are Lucy (black and white), Sarah, Charlie, Harley, Katrina and Freeway. The only two that aren't black are Ally and Ginger.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  10:31:03 PM  Show Profile
I had a black cat, but had to get rid of her back in Sept. due to hubby's allergies..I had her for 11 yrs. :0( her name was "Mittens" because she had extra dew claws on each foor, she was all black with a small crescent moon shape on her chest and she had no tail..she was a manx..acted like a dog. She folllowed me everywhere and loved belly rubs.
Still miss her. But life is like that sometimes....
now I have baby ducks to occupy my life in the pet category.
Daisy and Daffy duck..ha.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Prairie Princess
True Blue Farmgirl

1075 Posts

Jodi
Washington
USA
1075 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  06:32:27 AM  Show Profile
I have a black kitty! His name is Oliver, aka Zorro. I used to volunteer at our local animal shelter, and one night, somebody brought in a 4 week old black kitten they had found in the middle of the busiest street in town. There was a feral cat colony on the other side of the road, and the best guess we could come up with was he was going through a rebellion and decided to run away from home. I took him home that night, and gave him a bath (which, I might add, he despised greatly) and a bottle of kitten formula. He's been my boy ever since, now going on 2 years old. I almost lost him a few times to urinary tract issues, which I found out male cats seem to get a lot, but a surgery solved the problem, and now 'Million $ Baby' has been added to his collection of nicknames. He wears a black leather collar with metal studs and spikes, but he's really a big baby - if anybody comes to visit, he makes himself scarce. Cats are wonderful creatures!!
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  06:50:36 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
I will give you a little history on Seamus. We were given him by one of my very good friends at the local green market. Seamus was a barn kitty and from a litter of 6. He is a beautiful black cat AND he has had a very eventful life. First of all he is not a “people kitty”. He tolerates me and my husband and really cant believe the children are still here! After all he has made it perfectly clear that their presence annoys him to no end. I will list his “accidents” over the past two years.

1)He was bitten in the EYE BALL by a water moccasin. He spent two weeks on the foot of our bed lingering between life and death. And then hopped of one day and demanded to go outside. And here I had been bringing food and a litter box TO him, he was too sick to walk the length of the hall to go himself.
2)Our neighbors dog put him 25+ feet in a tree where he stayed for 4 days before we found him. This neighbor climbed the tree and rescued him. Husband was gone when we found him but said he thought it unnecessary to climb all that way. He said he would have eventually come down but I saw no evidence of that.
3)Second snake bite, not as severe. This snake that I wasnt able to identify, caught him on the jaw and his head swelled and he was feverish but never really down.
4)The last trip to the vet was due to an abscess on his hip. Evidently he found something to fight with and lost. Though I didnt see the other party so who knows.

Now I would LOVE to keep him in for the rest of his life. He and Mo too. Mo is a loving, precious cat and the exact opposite of Seamus in personality. However, neither of them have ever wanted to be housebound. They howl and scratch and demand to be let out. Seamus did spend almost two weeks inside and used a litter box I fixed for him during his recovery from the bootie bite. He is eating and drinking and seems to have recovered from his procedure to clean it up. For those couple of weeks he didnt put up much of an effort to go out. The vet said to keep him in at least 3-4 days we made it almost 2 weeks. Tall orders but we made it. He did add “if you can”. He’s been Seamus’ vet for a long time and knows how he is.

It worries me that it seems he's spent about 8 of his 9 lives. I really am attached to the old crank.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  06:56:53 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Here is a post from my blog about our kitties...thought you might enjoy reading a little more. I never tire of reading about peoples feline family members.

Our two kitties are so different. The King/Emperor Seamus is rude and distant and disgusted with the other kitty almost continuously. He only just tolerates us. Probably because he doesnt like catching his own food. And that saucer of cream every morning. He and I have a special bond. He really doesnt like me, but he doesnt hate me. So that makes me his favorite. Nothing happened to make him so. He came to us this way. He was a beautiful little black kitten with the most enchanting blue eyes (I so wanted them to stay blue but they did not)and mean as a snake. He sat on his perch and dared the children to touch him. He really thought I should have instructed them better so they would know their places when he arrived. Bad mommy.

Then there is poor, poor Mo. Not bright. Not regal. But so so sweet and loving. He doesnt get to come inside as much as Seamus simply because we have never been able to train him not to be destructive. He CANNOT grasp much. So rather than fuss, we just gently put him outside. He was abandoned as a baby and I really dont think he knows he’s a kitty. He so frightened of birds. And straw. And other animals. Yet in all these years, he still doesnt get that Seamus is not going to play with him and will be very angry if he tries. I think he is a sad little case of “failure to thrive”. Husband found them in our shed when they were about 8 weeks old. Actually he had been watching them for a while, wondering if he could get away with not telling me they were there. When he realized he hadnt seen the mother kitty in quite a while and they cried a lot, he called me out to the shed and said “Meet your new grandchildren.” Oh they were so precious. Mo and two sister kitties. He was twice as big as the girls and half as smart it seemed. He was eager and friendly but it seemed he might be a little dimwitted. He would sit in the litter box and poo outside it. He would put his face so close to the water in their bowl that he would get strangled or suck it up his nose. We soon realized 4 kitties in the house was about 2 too many so we found homes for Heidi and Pepper (the sisters). I hear Heidi lacks her brother’s social skills but seems to be alright otherwise. Seamus was as tolerant during this phase as possible. Never actually hurting one of the kitties but they knew to stay out of his way…or at least the girls did.

Then one day I was taking our garbage to the dumpsters and there perched on one side was a beautiful part siamese half grown kitty. He was trying desperately not to be torn apart by the dogs that had him cornered. So I climbed up and rescued him. He was so lovely. And perfectly behaved. Husband said Ling Pao had seen the dump and he didnt want to go back. We loved him just as much as the others. And lost him just a little while ago to feline leukemia. The vet said he probably had it when we took him in. He had had all his vaccinations just like the others but if he had it when we got him it wouldnt cure him. Our other two are fine so we believe he must have already been infected. We miss him.

Susan
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Mar 28 2007 :  2:50:36 PM  Show Profile
Our black kitty is Topo Grigio ("grey mouse" in Italian) Topo and his brother, Keiko are Siamese from the same litter. Keiko looks just like a regular apple-head Siamese, and Topo has the thin Siamese shaped body and head, "chatters" all the time in Siamese, and is totally black with yellow eyes. He's a riot. He loves to play fetch ( as trait of the Siamese), he's very affectionate, and very bright.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

EnchantedWoodsGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

959 Posts

Kathy
New Jersey
USA
959 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:42:54 PM  Show Profile
Here is a picture of my cat Harry that I lost to cancer a few years back, he was my best friend. I have two other black cats that I will need to get pics of - one is another called Harry and the other is Screech and there is a new stray that is black but in the sun it looks like he has stripes under his black hair. I adore black cats!

Kathy of the Enchanted Wood
http://enchantedwoodmusings.blogspot.com/

Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  6:36:56 PM  Show Profile
Here's my Daisy:

She had a serious bout of spring fever the other day while I was changing the tablecloth -- she gathered the entire cloth around herself as she spun around:

The whole room was spinning with her energy!
Go to Top of Page

shmeg
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Megan
Granville Ohio
USA
222 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  11:20:06 AM  Show Profile
I love all the black kitty pictures. We lost two of our black cats, Sirius and Dauphine. Don't know what happened to them. They were indoor/outdoor kitties. we still have Dauphine's sister who is completely white but no more black kitties:(
-Megan
Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  5:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
Here's all of my black kitties! I've missed them since I've moved out of my parents' house, but it's only a little over an hour away so I still visit!

This is Bear Bear. He's the old man of the bunch.

Chester's next. He's a big guy with a squeaky voice. Him and the next four are siblings.

This is Harry. He LOVES food, especially cheese!

And here's Peanut. She comes when you call her, but it has to be in a sing-songy voice!

Baby's a day younger than her brothers and sisters. She was a surprise!

Taylor's the bathroom buddy. She loves to drink out of the faucet but first she likes to "test" the water on your hand.

Last but not least is Sarah. She's the one-eyed princess. We got her from the shelter. She had been attacked by an animal and had to have her eye removed. She lives in the kitchen.

I just LOVE black cats!

Laura

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.craftycatgirl.etsy.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

katie-ell
True Blue Farmgirl

1818 Posts

Katie
Illinois
1818 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  04:57:21 AM  Show Profile
Laura -- I love all your black cats! Those 5 siblings -- what a group. Our black cat Daisy (pictured in my previous post) was one of a litter of black kittens at the shelter. When the shelter worker asked which one we wanted to look at, I thought -- they're all black! and they look identical! But Daisy is the one who pushed her way to the front of the cage and leaned out of the door when it opened -- so she's the one we chose. My son probably would have taken all 6 of the black kitties. How did you get so many black cats?
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  10:41:28 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
I love all your black kitties. I had an all black siemese mix that though he was a dog. He was not afraid of anything. Chain saw, guns you name it it did not faze him, my honey says that he was the best dog we ever had. He just up and disapered (sp) one day while we had a whole bunch of people staying at our house. I hope in my heart that he just found a new home but i think that he was got by somthing. We never found him and it was so upsetting to me that it still get tears in my eyes when i talk about him. I miss him very much. I have a grey tiger stripe now who is very loving and NOT aloud to go out side.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  11:28:21 AM  Show Profile
Our black and white cat (or "Cowcat" as dh calls him) is named Jack Sprat the Babycat ("Jack for short"). He arrived the first autumn that I lived in my house. His father, a big ole' neigborhood Tom would come to my house. His ear was broken, and he'd certainly seen better days, but he was majestic in his own way. He'd sit by the tire of my car, watching me work tirelessly planting spring bulbs and trying to get my house "winterized" after moving in. One day, he brought this itty bitty miniature of himself. After a few weeks, dad cat stopped coming by, but Jack never missed a meal. It was getting colder, and he still wouldn't let me near him, but one night, about mid November, he jumped up in my lap, I swooped him up and took him inside for good. It was two years before I even knew he had a voice--I don't think he'd been around enough cats to know that he had one, and one day he marched into the kitchen and let out this little bitty "mew". We still joke about his high pitched voice. Gosh, that was nine years ago, now.

Jack and my husband have a healthy respect for one another--Jack actually pooped in my dh's shoes for a few months after we married. He had a meltdown a few times, but eventually decided that Jack "must love me an awful lot, and wouldn't let just any old dude come into his turf".

Jack Sprat is in the middle of these two sleeping beauties. Daisy on left, Stooka on right.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

CountryGirl85
True Blue Farmgirl

225 Posts

Laura
Oswego IL
USA
225 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  8:12:32 PM  Show Profile  Send CountryGirl85 an AOL message  Send CountryGirl85 a Yahoo! Message
I love Jack and his pals! What cuties! Bear Bear was our only cat for about 6 years. Then Mya came along. She was our neighbor's cat and they didn't take very good care of her. She used to hang out on the picnic table on our deck while we ate dinner inside and would just cry and cry. Her owners left her out in the rain and snow. Every time she came over, we took her back to her house, but she just kept coming back. One day, she finally decided she was going to live with us, so she walked right in the front door. I think we took her back to her house a few more times after that, but decided to keep her when we found out she was pregnant. When she had her kittens, we just couldn't part with any of them. Sadly, she died two years later from unknown causes. I had an extremely difficult time dealing with her death. I had never had a close relative die and was pretty young when other pets had died. It really shook me up. But anyway, that's how I got so many black cats!

Laura

http://thecraftycatgirl.blogspot.com
http://www.craftycatgirl.etsy.com
"In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart." Anne Frank
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  9:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Jack looks just like my DH's old cat Mogwa that died last year. Seeing your cat makes me miss her. They look just alike. I don't think I'll show DH. He still gets sad seeing her urn on our mantle. He can't bring himself to bury her urn in the yard. He says, "She was a house cat and has never been outside, there should be no reason she should be outside now." I guess there's no convincing him.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

Utahfarmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1940 Posts

Portland Oregon
USA
1940 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  11:10:59 PM  Show Profile
Ayako, tell DH Mogwa is still there. She is sitting on a hand crocheted afghan I think on the couch. It has bright colors on it. She sends love.

Farmgirl hug,
Patricia

Farmgirls do it organically!
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  06:02:06 AM  Show Profile
Laura--
I LOVE Bear Bear and his pretty plum bow--so fetching! All of your cats are lovely. He reminds me of my gran's cat, Matilda (or puss in boots). My gran died 3 years ago, and my mother took Matilda to live with her and her meanie cat Casper and two dog siblings. She was sooo sweet, and unfortunately passed away this year at 17. She was very well loved. She was so tiny, and weighed so little that when you tried to brush her pretty long hair, she would fall over!

I'm really happy to see everyone's black cats or black and whites. We belong to such great society!!!!

Urbanchick--I find it so endearing that your husband grieves his dear Mogwa so much. Even in death, he's still sensitive to her needs, and treats her with such respect. We should all be so lucky!

Keep the photos coming. It's 27 here this am, and I left my clan of 7 snoozing happily in the toasty house. Three cats in the bed, two dogs in the kitchen, and two dogs in the living room. Makes me want to go home and jump in that bed!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

asnedecor
True Blue Farmgirl

1054 Posts

Anne
Portland Or
USA
1054 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  06:58:09 AM  Show Profile
Here is our kitty George - he is mostly black,except for his tummy - it is white

Anne in Portland

"Weeds are flowers too, once you get to know them" Eyeore from Winnie the Pooh
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  07:42:35 AM  Show Profile
What a great photo--such pretty eyes. George looks like he "knows" things....

I love how they get into anything you have open--bags, boxes, etc... I don't think I could ever NOT have a kitty!

Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  12:46:36 PM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
Here are a couple more pics...the black furball is of course Seamus. And Mo...awww isnt he adorable??? Peeking with one eye! He was napping. And the flash woke him. Sort of...

Susan
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Black Kitties Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page