Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Farm and home advice for novices...
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm and home advice for novices... Next Topic
Page: of 2

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  08:04:31 AM  Show Profile
There are so many of our beloved farmgirls moving to new homes or farms lately - it's so exciting to see these gals heading toward their dreams!

So, I was thinking - maybe we could help them by offering a piece or two of our best farm or home advice -- as sort of a "farm-warming" gift...

What do you think?

Here's mine:

Take things step by step - while making your plans and working toward your dream farm (or farmette or home), leave room for changes! You'll always be learning new and better ways of doing things, so be sure to include flexibility in your new farmer's toolbox!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:14:44 AM  Show Profile
Flexibility....boy, you sure said that right, Libbie. Also remember to compromise. Sometimes we are so set on something the way we perceive it we don't look at the benefits another idea may have.
Be flexible and compromise. Marybeth

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

Vintage Redhead
True Blue Farmgirl

233 Posts

Kaylyn
Saint Charles IL
USA
233 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:56:43 AM  Show Profile
My "new home" advice: never start one project until you've finished the current. Otherwise, it becomes difficult planning multiple projects, juggling multiple projects, financing multiple projects, "staffing" multiple projects (i.e. your honey resents the "honey-do" list) and your home will just consistenly look cluttered and unfinished.

The only time this *may* not apply is when you've paid $400 to rent a 20'x6'x6' roll-off dumpster for a tear-out. Then fill it once instead of paying to bring it back multiple times...if you know you've got back-to-back projects, that is.

~ Kaylyn ~ (Living in Suburbia with a FARMGIRL Heart!)

My Cause: http://nickspavilion.blogspot.com/
My Life: http://vintageredhead.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  10:40:17 AM  Show Profile
Live in your home and take time to settle in before you start any projects. Sometimes your perspective changes and you find that what you really "had to do right away" can wait or doesn't need to be changed at all. Besides, who wants all that added stress after the whole ordeal of moving!! :) Patience is a very healthy thing.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  12:33:09 PM  Show Profile
Don't be too proud to accept advice or help from neighbors, esp. older farmers who have been in the area for a long time. Sometimes they do know a better way to do something. At the very least, they know what the growing conditions are like and how to combat some of the local weeds, pests, or predators.

Then reciprocate with offers to help when they might need a hand.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  3:09:22 PM  Show Profile
You said it, Erin! I can't tell you how many times I have gone to the older "sheep man" in town to ask questions about our sheep, or my senior true-blue farmgirl friends to ask for advice on ANYTHING. What treasures these folks are!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 16 2007 :  3:39:53 PM  Show Profile
The first project for gaining farm return for a family is generally a nice garden, emphasizing vegetables. You get return in the first weeks that reflect on your grocery bill, where fruit trees and cane crops take longer. First livestock should be chickens. They're inexpensive to raise, and a short lived project. And chickens give good return fairly quickly in the form of eggs,meat, and fertilizer. Think about what things can give return to you, so you don't end up spending more than you're bringing in. It's hard to wake up one morning and realize you're working your head off for something that's costing you.

And be patient with yourself. You're going to make mistakes. But you'll also be making memories.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  03:30:24 AM  Show Profile
Gosh, how did I miss this thread.....thank you for all of the wonderful sound advice!! I am going to print these off and save in a folder.
G

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

Bee Haven Maven
True Blue Farmgirl

1862 Posts

Beverly
Pennsylvania
USA
1862 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  03:52:46 AM  Show Profile  Send Bee Haven Maven an AOL message
I agree with Mary Ann...get started first with a garden. But I think it is a good idea to project into the future and plant a couple of things that will need more time....like a couple apple trees. It is amazing how time flies and the years pass....before you know it your saplings will be bearing fruit! I also agree that chickens are a must. They take little work and give back so much! Best of luck!

Keep Smiling.....Bev
Bee Haven Acres
http://beehavenacres.blogspot.com/
http://beehavenmaven.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

MariaAZ
True Blue Farmgirl

203 Posts

Phoenix AZ
203 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  2:33:14 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Horseyrider

It's hard to wake up one morning and realize you're working your head off for something that's costing you.

Such wonderful words of wisdom, and not just as farm advice for novices!

Visit my blog at www.craftyfool.net
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  5:06:53 PM  Show Profile
My advice is ...Have fun. Grow what you like to eat, get animals you love to spend time with and do all you can to make chores fun. It really makes a difference.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  08:04:19 AM  Show Profile
Oh, one more thing - bright red nailpolish hides the dirt under your fingernails!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

Edited by - Libbie on Apr 23 2007 09:39:54 AM
Go to Top of Page

Sarah Blue
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Sierra Mountains California
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  08:51:56 AM  Show Profile
Keep the good advice coming please...this is a wonderful topic! I've lived on a ranch all my life and I still feel like a novice. One thing I know is that it's really important to prepare for each season in advance. You know, stuff like prepare soil BEFORE you plant, wrap pipes BEFORE it freezes, have vet first aid supplies BEFORE you need them, things like that! It's also good to have a list of names and numbers for emergencies - pump repair, veterinary care, vehicle towing, plumbing etc. Being independent is great, but knowing who to call when you need help is better!

"i believe in god, only i spell it nature." - frank lloyd wright
http://www.myspace.com/svgrrrl
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  2:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sarah

That is such great advice, and so very true! I hate that feeling, in the middle of an emergency, when you realize that you are missing a critical object or the phone book with the phone number you need is suddenly missing!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 23 2007 :  3:07:07 PM  Show Profile
I also try to find one thing that I enjoy doing on my farm - like enjoying the sunset while feeding the catfish - and making it my "relaxation" activity. That way I associate that activity with relaxing, which will help me use that if I ever get too stressed.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  08:32:09 AM  Show Profile
That is a great one, Erin - hand-watering with a hose is my "relaxation" activity - I can just look around, daydream... it's like a little mini-retreat in the early mornings or late evenings.

Another new farm bit of advice - don't skimp on the fences. Pick their locations carefully, then build them solidly. Escaping livestock is such a pain in the...neck...!!! (can you tell that Bridget my Dexter cow has been on the run several times this past week? Ugh.)

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  12:51:59 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Oh Libbie! I bet that gave you quite a run for your money! Is Bridget all safe and sound back at home once again?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  4:05:34 PM  Show Profile
I remember when we bought this old farm house 20 yrs ago... was in horrible shape... the one thing that I'm so glad we did first was the bathroom, at each days end I could go in there and take a chin deep soak in the clawfoot tub... everyhthing in there was very new and fresh, it really helped get me through some very tough remodeling!!!

In His presence
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  9:39:40 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Penny-

I love those old claw style bath tubs! What a treat! Was it original to the house or did you "import" it?

Alee
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  11:44:29 PM  Show Profile
Libby, I luv your advice about the red nail polish, I'll stock up!
All of the wonderful advice/suggestions come at a perfect time, since DH & I will be moving with in the next 2-3 months, to a 'farmett' type of property in the Spokane WA. area.
We will be incorporating all of your advise, adding a pinch of "sence of humor" too!
tata-4-now

>^..^< Happiness is being a katmom.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  12:04:23 AM  Show Profile
Libbie -- thanks so much for starting this thread. It is wonderful!! Can I do pink nail polish instead of red??

I don't have any advice to add since I don't have animals or a big garden. Oh I just thought of something -- get yourself a big flashlight. It's dark in the country!

Visit my Etsy shop at http://therusticcottage.etsy.com OR www.annarosetta.com

http://therusticcottage.blogspot.com/

Edited by - therusticcottage on Apr 29 2007 12:04:45 AM
Go to Top of Page

Libbie

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  06:45:21 AM  Show Profile
You all have SUCH great advice - I wish I'd thought of it when I first moved to this farm - and I KNOW that the new farmers/homedwellers/whomever! will love it. -- and yep, Kay - pink sure works!

XOXO, Libbie

Go to Top of Page

highlandgirl
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Cheryl
Colfax, WA
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:38:39 AM  Show Profile
I'm going to give a big yeah to Libbie's comments about find an activity you enjoy for relaxation. Mine is hanging laundry outside to dry. I really enjoy when the weather cooperates and I get to put the laundry outside. Not only is is environmentally friendly but I find it relaxing and folding after hanging outside is a "breeze".

All the suggestions so far are right on, especially the comment about getting the bathroom done first. I know when we moved from town to the farm, we had to do some major rennovations. I told my DH that the only thing I had to have before moving in was a decent bathroom and a functioning kitchen. For the first three months (Jan. - March) we slept on a hide-a-bed in the dining area but I had my kitchen and bathroom. You can deal with a lot of construction mess and missing walls when you can soak in that clawfoot tub and eat a good meal.

Katmom, I see you are moving to the Spokane area. We will practically be neighbors. Hope all goes well with the move and keep in touch.

Cheryl

Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  3:00:25 PM  Show Profile
Thanx Cheryl.
My daughter & son-in-love go into escrow on Monday for a home on 5 acres that they made an offer on this Friday. It is in Spokane just on the edge by Airway heights (just above Medical Lake)...so now we will concentrate our search in & around that area too. I would have prefered to be on the East side of Spokane near the Idaho boarder, but family is very important to us, especially since we only had 1 child & greatful for her as we were told we (me)would not be able to have children.
I so look forward to meeting up with all the lovely Washington farm gals, Idaho & whome ever else would like to come out and play.
Well, back to my play room to finish up my clothes pins that I am working on for the clothes pin swap.
tata-4-now

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  9:24:33 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Grace-

Let me know when you are moving in- I will drive up from Moscow with housewarming gifts!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 29 2007 :  10:29:02 PM  Show Profile
Alee,
You are so sweet & kind.
Just moving to Washington will be a wonderful gift!
I truly am excited about meeting all you lovely ladies & having the best tea party with linens & lace & hopefully lavender to scent the air.
I have day dreamed for the longest time to have a tea shop which I would call "Lavender, Lace & Tea". Who knows, maybe someday It will happen.
Ladies, my kitchen door will always be open to you and a pot of tea will always be ready.
Farm Girl Hugs,

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Farm and home advice for novices... Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page