Queen Bee

16374 Posts

MaryJane
Moscow Idaho
USA
16374 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  05:52:56 AM  Show Profile
Morning Farmgirls!
Will Pitkin, one of our shareholders who also doubles as my personal editor (he's a retired English professor), asked me if I had any ideas for helping him sell his mini-farm. I told him to write it up and I'd post it on our forum. Here 'tis!

We’re slowing down and the weeds aren’t. Our little farm needs younger owners.

We live in beautiful Cache Valley, in northern Utah. Our 1.3 acre mini-farm on a main irrigation canal (the farm has water shares) is situated four miles north of Logan, home of Utah State University. For the last 20 years we have practiced organic farm principles, raising mostly tomatoes (126 plants this year), peppers, squash, cantaloupes, basil and garlic (20+ varieties drying in the barn right now), which we trade at four local restaurants and vend at the weekly Gardeners Market (May through October). Our plants get their start in a 15’ x 27’ greenhouse, built in 1998.

Besides the cultivated crops, we have thirty-four bearing fruit trees (and an established blue-orchard bee population), raspberries, strawberries, hardy kiwis, etc. Our farm has over 100 mature trees in all, planted with the birds in mind, who of course share our fruit.

The three-stall barn, with poured-concrete floor and walls and a 22’ x 30’ loft, is enclosed with a pipe corral. A larger surrounding field could support large animals without compromising the land currently under cultivation. Though our current flock is 20 layers, we’ve had over 100 free-range chickens in our two housing facilities, and egg demand in the valley has always exceeded supply.

Our five-bedroom, three+-bathroom 3,300 sq. ft. brick home has had recent remodeling, upstairs and down. Granite counters, hardwood oak floors, new hardwood cupboards and cabinets, and all-new appliances in the kitchen in the last five years. Three bathrooms have new tile floors, showers, and hardwood cabinets.

We’re radically downsizing and divesting, so the price of $520,000 can include extras too numerous to list—a 12-horse BCS tiller, several hundred feet of irrigation pipe, various tools, fencing materials, etc.

Contact Will and Teri Pitkin:
wlpitkin@aol.com
Hyde Park, Utah

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  10:47:54 AM  Show Profile
Logan is just beautiful!! I have a grown nephew living there and it is such a pretty area!! Sounds like a beautiful farm too!!

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  11:05:18 AM  Show Profile
Oh, how I wish......It sounds beautiful. Someone will be very fortunate to get that little farm.

Karin

Wherever you go, there you are.

Come visit me at:
www.madrekarin.etsy.com

www.madrekarin.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Jul 11 2007 :  11:49:53 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
It sounds Amazing! Thank you MaryJane for sharing with us!

Alee
The amazing one handed typist! One hand for typing, one hand to hold Nora!
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic mini-farm for sale Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page