Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Rose cutting successful; now what?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rose cutting successful; now what? Next Topic  

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  11:11:21 AM  Show Profile
Hi Farmgirls...

I am happy and proud to report that my rose cutting experiment over the winter has worked...late last summer I took seven or so stem cuttings from a rose bush since I am hoping to grow little cutlets from this particular bush. They sat in water, in the sunny kitchen window all the winter long, until early January when I followed instructions to root them in moist dirt and stand them up in closed Ziplok bags, this time near a moderately lighted window.

In mid-February, I found a single skinny white root growing under two of the cuttings! I planted each of these in potting soil in plastic SOLO cups; and back they went to the sunny kitchen window. Alas,one of these died, I believe from a diluted coffee overdose, and the other one actually got a sprig started beside it. The original stem on that second one has now darkened and I believe it is history, but the sprig is most definitely growing into a rose, and it is now about 8 inches tall with lovely rose leaves all along the new slender stem.

Here in Virginia, we had a dramatic and unexpected return to winter weather this past week, so I have postponed the transfer of this little plant to the great outdoors. My question, do I leave it as is (so as to not mess up a good thing) and wait until it is warm enough to plant outdoors in its new home, or should I do an interim transfer to a larger container while keeping it indoors a bit longer to make sure it is a sturdy adolescent?

It's such a gorgeous,healthy looking little thing right now, I swear that my thumbs are just glowing green! It's taken several months to get to this point so I'd hate to make a mis-step now.

Any rose experts out there? Would love to hear your thoughts, please. Thanks!

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  2:56:56 PM  Show Profile
I am also doing an experimental rose propagation. I read where it should be placed in an outdoor partially shaded area for the 1st year then when it is well rooted it can be moved to its permanent location.I am not sure if that is the best way to do it but that is what i am doing. I hope you get some expert opinion though because I would like to hear what they say.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  3:13:53 PM  Show Profile
I used to give mine banana peels tilled aroun for fertilizer for some reason they liked it!!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  9:15:30 PM  Show Profile
Good for you! That is one plant I have no luck with (even tried banana peels). I'm so very glad to hear that your experiment went so well. Enjoy it...let us know when the precious little thing blooms.
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  10:52:16 PM  Show Profile
Once the cuttings are rooted and have been removed from the rooting area, harden them off for a few days by putting the pots in a cool, shady area. Moving them immediately into hot sunshine may damage or even kill the plants. Once they have a good, large root system and are putting out new growth, they can be moved into brighter light.

:from a site on how to propagate roses successfully

Most new roses plants will need winter protection for the
first year before they can be placed in their final spot in your garden.

more information:
(some rose starts are propagated by covering with a plastic soda bottle/hence the reference to a "soda bottle" in this blurb/but the info is very good)
When the plant is rooted and ready to transplant remove the soda bottle and let it get acclimated to natural conditions for a few days. This is best done in a shaded cool part of the yard. After the plant has had time to ‘harden off’ you can transplant it into a larger pot with regular organic potting soil. I suggest leaving it in the shade so it can further develop good roots. Wait a month or two before moving it into brighter light.

Once the plants are large enough (approx. 18 inches tall) they can be planted directly into the garden. Make sure it is being regularly watered. The first season is critical for a newly propagated plant. Inconsistent watering can weaken the plant allowing it to become ravaged by diseases. After a full season you can treat it like any other rose.

hope this helps!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Apr 06 2007 :  11:01:31 PM  Show Profile
now you've got me looking into how to propagate one of my heirloom roses that was given to me by an elderly lady..a rose called "Tuscany Superb"

it's really pretty/a deep maroonish/burgundy red color...
and when it was given to me it looked like a stick..honestly...no leaves no nothing..just a stick of a rose piece..

the woman told me to get it stuck into the ground and watered as soon as I could and it would grow...
oh my! I honestly didn't think that it would do..but now I have a gorgeous climbing rose on my fence that just gets better and better each year.

this same woman gave me a simple leaf..just a leaf mind you... from an expensive amaryllis that was a lovely deep velvety red color, and I thought.."oh no way!, you have to have the bulb or part of a bulb for this to grow!"

well that poor leaf looked downright pitiful, but I planted it anyhow and really just gave up on it..but lo and behold 3 yrs later...I wound up with a really big..big as your hand nearly..amaryllis bulb in my garden..and the most splendid amaryllis bloomed out from it! breathtaking!

In fact it is fixing to bloom out again in a few days.

(I had placed it into a pot late last winter when I thought that we'd be moving...so..it is now in a pot and I have brought it inside to enjoy as it loks like it will be blooming within the next few days..I hope to get a picture of it when it blooms as it is just wonderful!)

So..it's really amazing what will actually grow..sometimes when you least expect it to.

Best of wishes on your new rose "baby". Sounds like you are well on your way to learning how to great more beauties for your yard!

(I'm going to try my hand at it too now..I've done some research this evening and will implement what I have learned and give it a try myself)

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~

Edited by - Tina Michelle on Apr 06 2007 11:07:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Hideaway Farmgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1553 Posts

Jo
Virginia
USA
1553 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  06:18:32 AM  Show Profile
Thanks for all of the great feedback! I will start planning the transition to the great outdoors, and I am glad to know that there can be an intermediary planting ... since I have not yet picked the permanent location for this rose-baby. This gives me a little more time to get my landscape act together.

Tina, your stories really inspire me...growing an amarylis from a single leaf...WOW.

Jo

"There are no strangers here, only friends you've yet to meet."
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Rose cutting successful; now what? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page