littlegreen
True Blue Farmgirl

68 Posts

Katelyn
Spanish Fork UT
USA
68 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  1:28:18 PM  Show Profile
Ok, I am new to this, I totally admit it! But I am starting gardening by growing tomatoes this year. I am going to buy the plants, not just the seeds since I'm just starting out and my question is when?? Someone told me not til after mother's day and others told me as soon as I want? any help on this? I live right near Salt lake City in Utah if that helps climate wise...??

and if you have any advice on what kind or how much or good plant food or whatever, i need it all!

www.littlegreendesigns.com ~ handbound blank books, purses, jewelry, and other fun stuff for the naturist in you!

Edited by - littlegreen on Apr 05 2007 1:28:52 PM

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  1:31:58 PM  Show Profile
What is your zone? I am sure that you can start seeds inside rather early, but as far as plants go (I live in Zone 6 (Kentucky, West VA, etc..) and for myself, I always buy my herbs and my tomatoes and peppers (hot, sweet, etc.) around Mother's day. We can get frost right up until mid May, and I hate to always have to go out and cover things...like tonight (we're going for 6 days of below freezing temps :(

That's just my take on it, though.
Good luck to you!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  3:29:54 PM  Show Profile
Soil temps, frost dates and weather varies inside zones. I'm in five and have a foot of new snow today. In zone five in other places gardens are being planted. Check your soil temp. Tomatoes don't like cold feet so be sure the soil is at least 60°. Do you know your area's average last frost date? If you plant earlier and get a frost you can cover the plants with sheets for protection.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  4:10:27 PM  Show Profile
Lets see...tomato advice...if you buy the plants, pinch off the bottom two stems and as you are planting them, plant them deep enough that the dirt covers those areas where you pinched off the growth. New roots will grow there and the plants will be much stronger. And also, if you plant your tomatoes next to a row of marigolds, the flowers help keep the bugs away from the tomatoes. (both ideas are from my grandfather)

Good luck, there is nothing better than fresh tomatoes!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  09:11:22 AM  Show Profile
Hi, there, littlegreen! I live in Central Utah, but it's a real similar climate to Salt Lake - I used to live up there. I don't plant my tomatoes out until after Mom's day down here, and, just to be safe, I'd do the same up there, unless you use the "Walls-o-water."

And I love the marigold idea! I'll try that down here, too! Thanks Eren...

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

ddmashayekhi
True Blue Farmgirl

4739 Posts

Dawn
Naperville Illinois
USA
4739 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  8:04:12 PM  Show Profile
I agree with everyone on checking your zone. Don't forget to buy tomato cages when you get your plants. It's amazing how huge those little plants get by June! You'll love having fresh tomatoes for your cookouts!

Dawn in IL
Go to Top of Page

ali2583
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Alison
Winnipeg Manitoba
Canada
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  06:04:17 AM  Show Profile
I live in Zone 4, and I will probably put out my tomato plants the first week of June. I've already started my seeds inside, and the seedlings are already nearly 2 inches tall! What type of tomatoes are you growing? This year, I'm growing "Manitoba" red (a local variety) and also "Yellow Candle" roma tomatoes.

With any type of seedling or young plant, it's a good idea to "harden" them before you stick them outside. Last year, I would leave my young tomato plants outside in a sunny spot for a few hours a day, just so they got used to being outside - it toughens them up. I had really nice tomato plants last year. I also agree with Erin about pinching off the lower leaves and planting that part of the plant, it really does make them stronger. The tomato cages are a must too! When your plants get big, you'll need the support.
Water your plants every day, and put them in the sunniest spot possible - tomatoes really love sun. Good luck with your tomatoes! Keep us posted on how they're doing.

Alison

"God's gift to you is life. What you choose to do with that life is your gift to God"
Go to Top of Page

livelife
Farmgirl in Training

45 Posts

Penny
Michigan
USA
45 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:51:47 PM  Show Profile
Plant tomatoes when the peonies bloom... works for me!!!

In His presence
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Garden Newbie Question??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page