emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  09:26:19 AM  Show Profile
Both my daughters have had to go completely dairy free. THis has been rather hard on me because I am a die-hard butter only mom with NO margarine! But now I have had to use dairy free margarine for them. I was hoping that we could share recipes for dairy-free snacks, etc. It seems like it's the snack items, cereal, treats, etc. that are the hardest to give up and then try to figure out a way to replace. I read every label and am amazed at how many things have dairy products in them.

Angie

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  12:50:54 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Hi Angie-

I really empathize with your situation. When I was younger I was allergic to dairy. Luckily I have since outgrown that particular allergy but from birth to about High School age I couldn't have any dairy at all. My snacks often consisted of things like fruit roll ups (my mom makes an awesome homemade kind), fresh fruits, rice cakes with margarine and honey, graham crackers, homemade cookies, etc.

Often the dairy by products that commercial manufacturers put into items are not really needed. By making many treats at home you can cut out a lot of unneeded dairy products. Also there are plenty of cereals out there that don't contain dairy by products and with a little adjustment Soy milk works great as a substitute.

Growing up in rural Wyoming in the 1980's we did not have access to health food stores very often and so I drank a soy baby formula up until about halfway through middle school as a milk replacement. Luckily for you, even regular grocery stores now stock soy milk. :) I really enjoy soy milk even today- especially the vanilla flavored ones.

I know at our local food co-op they sell soy ice creams and such. Perhaps that can also help be another replacement.

If you need more ideas, please email me. I would be happy to brainstorm with you. I remember how hard that situation can be.

Alee
Go to Top of Page

kitchensqueen
True Blue Farmgirl

521 Posts

521 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  1:02:49 PM  Show Profile
My husband and I are both lactose intolerant. The cookbook "The Milk-Free Kitchen" by Beth Kidder is a MUST have. It's got recipes for everything and you can't beat the baked goods-- biscuits and pancakes that are dairy-free, but you honestly cannot tell the difference between them and the buttermilk versions. Soymilk is a great substitute for milk-- you can replace it in everything where you'd normally use milk, including baked goods with excellent results. For cheese, we prefer rice cheese instead soy cheese as it has a more realistic flavor and better melting consistency. The only soy ice cream that does any justice to milk ice cream is a brand called Temptation. It's usually available at organic/natural markets, but if you can't find it google them, I think they do special orders from their website. My favorite is the chocolate chip cookie dough, and if no one told me it was made with soy I'd never have guessed. It's that good. You will need to become label-readers if you aren't already. Dairy products show up in an alarming variety of processed foods. Cooking from scratch is the best bet. I have an enormous recipe collection-- many of my favorites are in my blog, but I'd be happy to share more. I have a fantastic chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe and others. If you're looking for something particular, let me know. :-) We can still eat good stuff despite our allergies!

http://apartmentfarm.wordpress.com

Now Open!: http://shadetreestudios.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  5:49:09 PM  Show Profile
What I look for when shopping for dairy free items for my daughter are manufacturers that have a Kosher Parve or Pareve on the lable. On the Fleishmans Margarine you will see Parve on the box somewhere. That is completely dairy free. The people that certify these manufacturers are extremely strict on the validity of whether they are truely diary-free since it is a religious restriction for some. You will not find a lable of Parve on anything that may have some dairy or even traces of dairy. They aren't even allowed to use shared equiptment. As I recall though I believe Parve items can have egg since egg is a neutral in the Kosher food community but Parve will not have any milk or lactose in it. So when you check the lables of stuff and come across the Parve certified or certified Pareve then it will be dairy free.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

emsmommy5
True Blue Farmgirl

1547 Posts

Angie
Buckley WA
USA
1547 Posts

Posted - Apr 09 2007 :  06:58:17 AM  Show Profile
thank you for your thoughts and ideas.

angie

Angie

Try not. Do or do not, there is no try.
Go to Top of Page

delebra
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  2:30:28 PM  Show Profile
Rice cheese is nice, but the only ones I've seen have casein in them, which is a milk protein which appears in a lot of "nondairy" stuff because the FDA classifies it as a food additive.
My daughter and I were both allergic to milk when she was little -- my fault, I drank 1/2 gallon of milk a day when I was pregnant -- then were able to use it for years and are now back to being allergic! (Actually, I'm apparently intolerant just of whey because I can eat aged hard cheeses.)
What I found was that I needed to find good vegan cookbooks and learn what they substituted for milk, and then adapt my own recipes. The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook (might be The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook now) was really great because they use soymilk and soy cheese for everything.
Rice Dream makes a good milk substitute in lots of flavors and also a frozen nondairy Rice Dream that's really good.
The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network (www.foodallergy.org) has some good information and they have an alert service to warn about products that don't have milk (or whatever allergen) on the label. They point out that under Jewish law a product can be labeled "parve" even if it has a very small amount of milk in it - I never knew that!
Also be on the alert for "natural flavors," as they very often contain milk products.

Good luck!
Go to Top of Page

kreativeblonde
True Blue Farmgirl

135 Posts

Amanda
Summerland Ca
USA
135 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  8:07:17 PM  Show Profile
I just have to put my 2 cents in...as someone who is ,and has been, allergic to dairy for over 25 years I just have to say READ THE LABELS!! You need to find a good website that lists all of the milk derivates because you may think that you're not getting dairy and you may be. Also, as delebra said just because it says, "non-dairy" it may not be. For instance, "non-dairy cool whip" has dairy in it-go figure. If it says casein or caseinate or Lactic acid in it-back away. I also get a magazine called, Living Without (www.livingwithout.com) that has many recipes and articles relating to different allergies and medical conditions. It's also a great resource for websites and products that are out there available for you.
Amanda

Too much of a good thing is wonderful.
Mae West
Go to Top of Page

threebusybees
True Blue Farmgirl

222 Posts

Mandi
Myrtle Beach South Carolina
222 Posts

Posted - May 29 2007 :  04:17:27 AM  Show Profile
My daughter is a allergic to milk. It is hidden everywhere, in ingredients you wouldn't think were a concern, like sandwich meats, hotdogs, canned tuna. Even the Parve things aren't always dairy free . Here's a link to a list you cut it out and give one to all care givers keep it iin your wallet car etc. There's also a web site google go dairy free.
http://www.kidshealth.org/parent/misc/milkallergy_cutout.html

I wish you luck.

"There will no longer be so many pleasant things to look at if responsible people do not do something about the unpleasant ones." Madeleine L"Engle
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Dairy Free Kids Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page