22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  11:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
This is a great recipe.

1 lb of Lentils
One Cup "real" rice (The long cook stuff, not Minute Rice)
6 cups of water for the lentils + however much water your rice says (Mine says 1 3/4 cups for 1 cup rice)
Chicken base concentrate.

Rinse both lentils and rice. Put large sauce pan on hot burner. Create chicken base by combining all water and base concentrate. Cook lentils according to instructions on bag. Add rice when you have just enough time left for it to cook. I needed to cook my lentils for about 35 minutes and the rice for 20.

The chicken base gives enough salty flavor so I wouldn't add any extra unless you like really salty foods. You can eat as is or jazz it up if you like spicey food. I would try some red pepper flakes if you like it spicey.

Alee

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:00:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm making a lentil and barley soup right now, trying to use up a ham soup bone. It has onions, garlic, celery, diced tomatoes, ham, barley, lentils, 6 c. water and spices all dumped into the crock pot and cooked.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:28:47 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Sounds yummy!
Go to Top of Page

BotanicalBath
True Blue Farmgirl

1014 Posts

Elizabeth
Ohio
1014 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  12:38:33 PM  Show Profile
When I make bean soap it is never the same... but I do the clean out the fridge and freezer thing. It is never the same twice, and some times it is better than others.

E-
BotanicalBath@peoplepc.com
www.Botanical-Bath.com

"I do my housework in the nude. It gives me an incentive to clean the mirrors as quickly as possible."
Go to Top of Page

delebra
Farmgirl at Heart

2 Posts

2 Posts

Posted - May 28 2007 :  2:11:58 PM  Show Profile
I had leftover brown rice, some canned lentils, and some fresh spinach, so I sauteed some chopped onion and garlic in olive oil, added the spinach, lentils, and some ground cumin and turmeric (both natural inflammatories as well as tasting good), oregano and thyme, let it cook a bit and added the rice till it was all warmed up. I had to add a little water to keep it from drying out, but it was delicious! I used twice as much rice as lentils.
Go to Top of Page
  Farm Kitchen: Previous Topic Lentils and Rice Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page