Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Help Please Next Topic  

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  03:08:36 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Trina,
I would like to know about your Brahmas. My Dh likes the way they look and thinks that may be the breed he wants but I would like to know about their personality. Anything you can tell me I would appriciate!

For eveyone else... My DH wants a BIG rooster that is friendly/sweet with multi colors and long curled tail feathers. I took the test that Alicia posted (thank you Alicia!!) and it gave me a few breeds, but am having trouble finding pictures of all the color variations so am not sure which one would best fit the bill...any sugestions? He loved the coloration of the silver-gray dorking, but didnt like their short legs ( he wants something that looks big and majestic I guess). He liked the light Brahmas but was hoping for colors and I found a picture of a flock of brahmas and one was full of colors but dont know which color it is considered to be. The Wheaten Ameraucana looks full of color but couldn't find a good picture. Do any of you know of a good color book on chickens that showcases all the breeds and their color variations? (am off to search amazon) Or know of a website that has good pictures of all the color variations of each breed? Or do you just know the perfect chicken breed that will be the perfect rooster for my DH?

For me; What is the best book you found about chickens both for identification and all I need to know as a beginer? And it sounds like I can mix as many breeds of hens together in the same coop as I want? If so should they all be the same age? Or how do you add/introduce new hens into the hen house without it getting pecked to death or picked on? As I plan my coop any things I should make sure to have/add (other then the norm, roosting boxes, roosting rods, heating source, feeder, waterer)? Anything you thought was optional that you really wish you added? what surfaces do you find the easiest to clean and disinfect? What bedding sufaces do you wish you could or do you avoid? Any special features you have seen/have/heard of that would make my coop a better place for my gals? Any help would be wonderful! Thank you all for your help!!
Hugz to All!
Talitha

PS sorry for ALL the questions, just have SO much to learn and now might need to know it faster then I thought!

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  03:47:03 AM  Show Profile
Buttercup,

I'm not very famillar w/ the breed you are lookng for. but I can shed some light on a few of your other issues.

I'm not sure if there is any breed of rooster that is docile *if he has hens to protect*. I had chosen Black Australorp which are similar to Jersy Giants, only a tad bit smaller. The blurb I had read said they were a gentle breed. Maybe toward his girls, but certainly not toward people! Every time I entered the coop or a neighbor crossed through our yard, that bird would flog you in a heartbeat! His brother was given to a friend who at the time was more docile and you could even pick him up. now he too is a holy terror!

As to your other questions: you can have mixed breeds of hens the same age and have them get along if they have been raised together. We have 4 kinds of hens.

In any grouping , there is always a pecking order, and is called as such for good reason.

I have introduced sub-adults to adults under the cover of darkness(it's less stressful) and introduced more than one new individual so she alone would not be the only one being picked on. It's going to happen no matter what, but will settle if you have enough space in the coop/yard. I

I use kiln dried pine shavings/chips. The chicken poop clumps and keeps some flies away. It's also a light material, absorbant, cheap and easy to rake up and compost. We have a 12x12 coop with a dirt floor. This coop is permanant, we have another for our silkies that you can jack up on wheels and move around to fresh grass.

Also check out the youth poultry forum. It's for all ages and a plethera of good information/questions.

Hope this helps Have fun!

Go to Top of Page

Bluewrenn
True Blue Farmgirl

1122 Posts

Erin
Texas
USA
1122 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  3:02:38 PM  Show Profile
I have a great chicken book! - The Complete Encyclopedia of Chickens by Esther Verhoef Aad Rijs. I think I got my copy from Amazon.com, but I'm not sure...

Anyhow, it has awesome pictures (even of rare breeds) and gives you LOTS of information.

My Homesteading Journal http://toomyvara.livejournal.com

My craft journal http://bluewrenn.livejournal.com

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  3:52:24 PM  Show Profile
Look at www.mcmurrayhatchery.com they show pictures of ALOT of breeds.
I have had light brahmas in the past and really liked them. They were pretty calm. Honestly not much calmer than my Rhode Island reds were though, and not nearly as good at laying as often. Pretty though. I have some banties that look like brahmas in my mixed flock now..real pretty.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com

Edited by - Aunt Jenny on Apr 02 2007 3:54:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  10:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Anna,
Thank you so much for all the helpful information!! I really appriciate it ... I need all the help I can get! And yes books and websites set up for kids are often very helpful because they are so basic and simple for beginers like me! Once again thank you!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  10:18:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Erin,
Thank you! Am off to see if they have it when I finish here!! I really am thankful you knew of one because it is not always easy buying online and not being able to look inside!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  11:22:51 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jenny,
Thank you so much for you imput! I LOVE and admire what you have and what you have done on your little piece of heaven! I really love your fire pit and Mona too! I went to the website and requested a catalog, can't wait to get it! Thank you so much for the link! Also thank you for your comments on the brahmas, it is said you can carry the roosters around like a little dog... did you find this to be true? I am keeping the rooster seperated from the hens, will this help or with them any where close will the rooster try to be king tut? I know alot has to do with how they are raised and I plan to raise mine so he should be very well socialized, babied, and trained but they all still have tendancies, so am trying to find out all I can! Thank you again!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  08:54:31 AM  Show Profile
You know what...I never had a Brahma rooster..just hens. Roosters seem to have personalities all their own. I have had very nice ones and very nasty ones in lots of breeds. Richard, my little mottled cochin banty rooster right now is very calm..but the last one I had..same breed..was more likely to go for my face..so be careful. I always get rid of the mean ones since my kids handle my chickens alot and keep a calm one.
Hey..did you know there is a rare breed called Buttercups????? I have never had them..but just thought you should know..they are neat looking.

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  6:48:52 PM  Show Profile
Here's a little more- at least where introductions and chicken group dynamics are concerned.

We have 2 Rhode Island Reds who have been with us for 3 years now. (They still produce eggs, although most literature may say production tapers off at 2.) These ladies ruled the roost for 1 1/2 years before we got this mixed batch of hens. We introdiced the ladies to the young gals and also included one young hen who is about 7 months. One evening at dusk we did a catch-up and placed this group of 3 with the young 11. The next morning, the older hens had settled in right away and wern't taking much guff off the younger group. The youngest hen has managed to settle too, but still gets a peck to the head if she happens to be where another more dominant hen wants to be. She also mostly stays in a high perch unless I enter the coop at feed time. There's not much frantic running around and chasing/pecking, and no bald areas on the young from being overly harasses so I'm confinent all is well. I think adequate spacing is key. I'll give it another week, then open the coop for all to free range.

OH! And if you plan to free range your birds, it's better to keep them locked in for a few days when they first arrive (if you get older birds and not chicks) so they really get where the home roost is. By dusk, they put themselves to bed and all we have to do is (remember) to close the coop door.

I had ordered the 11 as chicks from IDEAL Poultry and kept everyone "cooped up" until they had some considerable size to them, then allowed eventual supervised free ranging. IDEAL will allow small shipments and charge a minimal fee for less than 25 chicks.

For chicks, I use a large Rubbermaid container lined with paper towels over the pine shavings. The paper towels at first assure tiny chicks will find food and not confuse it with the shavings. it also halps them get better footing. News paper is too slick. I stopped using paper towels after about a week. Next enclosure was a nice wooden crate about 3'x3'x 3' with shavings, then the "Super Coop" I already mentioned. I clean this twice a month in the Summer and once in Winter.

I have included 2 suspended feeders to lessen competition. The waterer is also lifted off the ground using a cinder block to allow for complete circular access by all.

It's always exciting and I had to stop myself from ordering more this year. But oops! A friend passed along some fertilized eggs and I placed 12 in the nest box for one of my Silkie hens- who has faithfully been setting for a little over a week now!

I also subscribe to a new magazine called Backyard Poultry.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  9:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Jenny,
No I didn't lol I will have to go check those Buttercups out! Thank you for letting me know on the roosters. I am concerned because I have four kids and they will be involved in everything so I do not want anything that will be mean or dangerous. I thought I could handle a Banty rooster but DH wants a BIG one so dunno, I am a little anxious about it because I have never been around roosters and have heard bad tales about them. I dont want to end up like this or worse one of my kids! I guess I will just have to learn a ton more and then take it as it comes! Thank you so much once again!!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  9:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Anna,
Thank you so much! It was all very good information to know, and even though I have read a ton, I LOVE to hear it from those who I know are actually telling me from expierence! I will have to check out the magazine..do you really like it and find it helpful?
Hugz!
Talitha

PS am going to go save IDEAL to my favs now! Thank you!

Edited by - Buttercup on Apr 03 2007 9:40:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Annab
True Blue Farmgirl

2900 Posts

Anna
Seagrove NC
USA
2900 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  05:24:20 AM  Show Profile
I do find BYP very helpful. It's not technical at all and caters to the hobby poultry enthuiast.

As an example, in the Feb/March issue, it featured how to pasture your poultry, tips on breeding, portable housing ideas...the list goes on. Most of the photos are in color too! The editors encourage subscriber stories, photos and input too. That's cool.

Hope you find it to your liking!
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:12:48 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Anna,
Thank you!! I shall add that to my wonderfully long list of magazines!!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

CFlohe
True Blue Farmgirl

169 Posts

Cheryl
Port Angeles WA
USA
169 Posts

Posted - Apr 13 2007 :  07:35:55 AM  Show Profile
Talitha, I saw that Aunt Jenny was telling you about the Buttercups so I posted a picture of my Buttercup hen and rooster on my blog. They're pretty nice chickens, not the friendliest but not mean either.
Cheryl

cheryls-life-at-the-farm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 14 2007 :  9:11:06 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Cheryl,
Thank you so much!! I went and had a look, I can't wait to get some chickens!! Right now Dh is away for training but when he gets back I will let him have a peek and see what he thinks! Thanks again for being so sweet!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page
  Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic Chicken Help Please Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page