Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 natural alternative for high cholesterol
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic natural alternative for high cholesterol Next Topic
Page: of 2

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  2:03:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi, I had blood work done the other day & my cholesterol & trigliserides were so high. chol. was 298 & tri. was 680. DR. put me on Crestor and the first night I broke out into a terrible rash, itchy, breathing was ok but a bit labored. I was scared to death. They told me not to take it (DUH) & call next wk. No way am I taking IT or anything else. I HATE these medications so much. Two wks ago my sister ended up in hospital w/ a tube down her throat due to B/P meds. I'm looking online also but wondered if anyone knew something out there other then oatmeal & cheerios. I'll get it down but only with natural things. Medications are really scaring me.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

junebug
True Blue Farmgirl

2421 Posts

Sue
West Plains, Mo.
USA
2421 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  2:11:10 PM  Show Profile
I agree, modern medicine is just plain scary!! I've read alot about red yeast for cholesterol, just do your homework, research it and other herbs for cholesterol. Good luck!

Visit me at my blogs:
www.countrypleasures.blogspot.com
www.herbalfarmstead.blogspot.com
www.photo-per-day.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  2:26:26 PM  Show Profile
try the red rice yeast and co q 10 found at your natural health foods store.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Clare
True Blue Farmgirl

2173 Posts

NC WA State
USA
2173 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  2:28:40 PM  Show Profile
There are lots of studies out now on the benefits of cinnamon for lowering cholestrol... That is the supplement tablets, not cinnamon rolls!

Michele, I also really recommend reading this book: The Rosedale Diet, by Dr. Ron Rosedale. There are so many factors that add into the total cholestrol equation... insulin, glucose, leptin, etc... I think the whole body approach to health is best, and this is a good guide.

Humor is the prelude to faith and Laughter is the beginning of prayer. -- Reinhold Niebuhr

I want to be an "outrageous" old woman who never gets called an old lady. I want to be wiser, resonate love & peace and be earth-colored, till I fade away from pure joy!

http://farmstyle.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  2:29:11 PM  Show Profile
try to cut back on breads and pasta and try walking
add more green veggies like broccoli and brussel sprouts
avoid sugars
flax seed oil is good to add to the diet

best of wishes to you

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

abbasgurl
True Blue Farmgirl

1262 Posts

Rhonda

USA
1262 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  3:09:56 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
Have you looked at "The Southbeach Diet"? Written by a cardiologist, and very practical & easy to follow. You don't have to be super strict, but instead learn to make some healthier substitutions. I always thought it was a "fad" diet until I read the book. It makes complete sense for those prone to cardio issues or diabetes. Weight loss is an added benifit too. {;)}
Blessings,
Rhonda

I'm a one girl revolution.

Edited by - abbasgurl on Mar 31 2007 9:52:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

Marybeth
True Blue Farmgirl

6418 Posts

Mary Beth
Stanwood Wa 98292
USA
6418 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  3:30:42 PM  Show Profile
Have you tried Niacin? A lot of Drs. are suggesting it when the powerful statins have an adverse effect. It is a vitamin.. B3 I think. MB

www.strawberryhillsfarm.blogspot.com
www.day4plus.blogspot.com www.holyhouses-day4plus.blogspot.com
"Life may not be the party we hoped for...but while we are here we might as well dance!"
Go to Top of Page

EmmJay
True Blue Farmgirl

352 Posts

Mary Jane
Amherst Nova Scotia
Canada
352 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  3:43:30 PM  Show Profile
Michele, one word...FISH.
Fish does an amazing job with lowering cholesterol, but not shell fish.
MJ

"Thank GOD I'm a country girl"
http://s119.photobucket.com/albums/o134/EmmJay07/
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  5:15:40 PM  Show Profile
I would talk to your doctor before you try Niacin. Regular Niacin (as opposed to Slo-Niacin)needs to be taken with aspirin. It counteracts the side-effects. My dad took his regular Niacin and forgot his aspirin one time. Well, he was shaking all over, his skin was bright red and he was itching for about 6 hours!! Not very pleasant. My mom takes Slo-Niacin. It does not have the same effect. But still, talk to your doc.
Exercise is the unsung hero of cholesterol control! (Walk at least 30 minutes a day.) I agree with Tina- add lots more fruits and vegetables to your diet. Just don't add butter! ;) Make one of MaryJane's chopped vegetable salads that you eat with a spoon! You will definitely get enough fiber from that!!
Maybe you could go back to your doctor and talk to him about taking a more proactive route instead of him just heading to the prescription pad. I think doctors just assume that we all want to just pop a pill to make things better. It's that everything-in-an-instant society we have.
Good luck and keep us posted on how things progress.

Karin

Go to Top of Page

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  5:37:47 PM  Show Profile
Michele,
Check out the Dr Mercola site, might have some good advise and a videos
(1) video...
http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/How-to-Reduce-Your-Risk-of-Cancer-By-50--8790.aspx
website...
http://www.mercola.com/
just a resource
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  5:58:33 PM  Show Profile
Or look for Flush-Free Niacin. It's even better than the time-release or Slo-Niacin. Plus fiber--at least 25 grams of fiber a day--this from my dietitian daughter, but work up to that amount of fiber. Don't do it all at once =)

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  7:43:45 PM  Show Profile
Michele, L-Theanine (comes from green tea) is supposed to lower LDL cholesterol. Google it, and see what you can learn. It also helps with deep sleep according to an article I read a while ago. Garlic is said to help lower cholesterol, also good old fish oil. Olive oil also is good. I hear the triglicerides are related to sugar. I pray your levels drop quickly!
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  7:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Oh, as your sister has high blood pressure, I should add the L-Theanine is also supposed to lower blood pressure.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  8:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Keeping this line in my faves. I go Monday for bloodwork and a preventative EKG as my dad, his brother, and his parents all had heart attacks (uncle died from his, dad's was minor, but ended in a 5 way bypass) and my cousin had stents put in. I don't have high blood pressure, but high cholestrol runs in my family.

My dad took the non flush Niacin, because the cholestrol medicine made him ache. Mademe ache too, bad. But I have a sneaking suspicion I'll be on something again after Monday.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  10:01:27 PM  Show Profile
Kim, how did the medication make you ache??
I was prescribed Lipitor (sp?) in December because of high cholestrol...runs in the family. This past couple weeks my hips, lower back and knees and even sometimes my feet really hurt. It's strange and I'm wondering if it's the medication. I quit taking it last Thursday, so we'll see.
Di

Edited by - DaisyFarm on Mar 31 2007 10:02:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  01:33:36 AM  Show Profile
That's one of the side effects Diane. My last doctor said if it got too bad to let him know and he'd try a different one. Let your dr know.

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  09:47:11 AM  Show Profile
My hubby suffers from very high cholesteral and heart disease (of fairly recent onset). I also have high cholesteral but mine is more controllable than his has been. He takes Omega 3 fatty acids (prescription strength), along with a very low dose of liptor because he cant tolerate a regular dose. He has the muscle pain side effects at the higher dose which can be permanent(it damages the muscle).He seems to be doing fine at the lower dose, no muscle pain. We also added as much fiber as possible to our diet including oatmeal, fresh fruit and veggies, and a fiber supplement. There are several foods available now that are now labeled heart healthy like the bread we buy. Walking and exercise helps quite abit and we try to do that every day when he is up to it. We also switched from margarine to Promise brand butter and I use a cooking oil made by Smart Balance that has Omega 3 fatty acids. I watch out for anything that has transfat or hydrogenated fats in it and we will not eat it. We also eat less sugar and calories because we both needed to lose some weight. He has lost 60lbs since his heart attack June 2006. His cholestral is really improving doing this.

One thing I wanted to add. If you are not able to get your cholestral down by eating better and exercise please consider asking your doctor for a different prescription medication like Zetia possibly. It works differently than the Statin drugs like lipitor and Crestor. Believe me I wish hubby could have been on something prescription to lower his cholestral to prevent his major heart attack last year. It has been a nightmare from Hades and I dont want anyone else to go through what we have been going though. After his heart attack, I told the cardiologist that he couldnt take Statins due to his previous severe muscle pain with them. He told me if he didnt take one of them that he wouldnt live long with his amount of heart disese. We experimented with him taking a very small dose of Lipitor three times a week until we built him up to taking it 7 days a week.

Take Care

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

momjolly
Farmgirl in Training

12 Posts

Campbell
Cincinnati Ohio
12 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  6:03:28 PM  Show Profile
Hello - I've been on a natuopathic program which includes daily doses of Red Yeast Rice, Mega Potency Fish Oil and Moduchol to control my cholesterol. It has kept it in check, but I also try to watch my intake of sugar, carbs and wheat. My naturopath doctor had me take a heavy metal test because she felt the supplements should be more effective. It turns out I have a really high lead content which keeps me from absorbing the full amount of the above supps! I am now on a 90 day suppository program to get the lead out! I am willing to go with this program because I can't abide the pharmaceuticals until things are too dire to do anything else. Balance and prevention are what I am striving for. Everyone is different...it;s so nice to have this caring group share what works and what doesn't.
Go to Top of Page

lisamarie508
True Blue Farmgirl

2648 Posts

Lisa
Idaho City ID
USA
2648 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  3:44:41 PM  Show Profile
Cholesterol meds are BAD stuff. I had to stop taking it after it caused me EXTREME muscle weakness. I could hardly get out of bed. Now I control my cholesterol with flax seed, fish, oatmeal, nuts and exercise. I put whole flax seeds and/or ground flax seed in every loaf of bread and in cookies. I make oatmeal cookies and oatmeal bread all the time with ground flax seed (double dose of good stuff). I also use nuts in a lot of things, too, including salads. I try to eat some kind of fish 3-4 times a week. Salmon is one of the highest in Omega 3 fats (that's the good fat) but tuna is good and some of the cheaper fish. Walnuts and almonds are really high in Omega 3 but I mix it up with unsalted cashews and brazil nuts. Oatmeal is really good and when I make mine I throw ground flax seed in with walnuts, cinnamon and chopped apples. I've been eating this way for more than 2 years. Now, I have no cholesterol problem at all. Try altering your diet. You'll be amazed at how much better you'll feel, too. Best of health to you.

We come from Nature, we go back to Nature; health & happiness in between requires intimacy with Nature.
Go to Top of Page

Jana
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Jana
Eau Claire Wisconsin
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  11:55:12 PM  Show Profile
Oatmeal. I did the oatmeal for breakfast (I'm talking the old fashioned kind) every day for a month and I lowered my cholesterol 52 points. Then I tackled balancing my cholesterol by taking Omega-3 fish oil capsules and eating fresh salmon at least twice a week. Voila! Everything is within normal range, and all within 6 months...

Jana
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  05:00:24 AM  Show Profile
thanks everyone, I am attempting to take the oatmeal, flaxseeds, fish oil, almonds & cinn. routine before I take another pill. My DR. wanted to put me back on another med but I am opting not to yet unless EVERYTHING else doesn't work. I feel I have that right to try natural first.

Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  05:01:48 AM  Show Profile
I forgot to say exercise but I do get that everyday so hopefully between the "whole" routine, it will lower.

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  07:17:34 AM  Show Profile
YAY! My cholestrol is only slightly high according to the dr. I just need to up the fiber & exercise and be retested in 6 months.

I am going to try the oatmeal, fish oil and cinn. too. I have a question though. What is "Red yeast Rice" Is it a rice?

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  8:40:15 PM  Show Profile
I have a friend at work who is having extreme problems with her knees and chronic pain. She is very overweight and I know she is on cholesterol meds. I bet this is her problem. I will have to tell her when we go back to school on Monday. She has been to a million doctors and no one knows what is really wrong with her. This has to be it.

Thanks for talking about this on the forum. I don't know what made me look at this thread since I do not have this issue in my own life. Maybe you have helped a friend of mine!!

XXOO Sheryl
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Apr 07 2007 :  10:05:16 PM  Show Profile
I quit taking the Lipitor a week ago last Wednesday and my legs are still weak and painful. I just googled to look for side effects...VERY scary! I would sure tell your friend to talk to her doctor Sheryl-lyn...I never would have taken it had I read the websites first. I hope this goes away soon!
Diane
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Apr 08 2007 :  06:52:41 AM  Show Profile
my sisters keep telling me I'm crazy because I don't want to take this. My one sister had heart surgery, heart attacks and said medication saves her life. My other one was in a hospital w/ tubes down her throat DUE to the medication. Why is it so hard for them to understand that I want to at least TRY to do this w/out medication?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic natural alternative for high cholesterol Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page