ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  8:32:56 PM  Show Profile
A while back there was a discussion about treatment options for rosacea. I've dealt with rosacea flare-ups for at least ten years, probably longer - the years just fly by these days! This past year has been particularly bad, with most of the blemishes appearing on the tip of my nose and a patch on my left cheek. I am now on a regimen of a daily low-dose antibiotic which has controlled the blemishes. I'm not happy with the antibiotic and am doing what I can to counteract the negative aspects, but I also wanted to minimize the damage to my skin from the rosacea. My nose would be so tender that even a gentle washing would cause repeated bleeding from surface "pimples." I've only taken antibiotics twice in these many years.

My main triggers seem to be extremes in temperatures - hot, humid days or cold, windy days. That, and stress, will cause breakouts; this has been a banner year for both!

At the (ugh) mall the other day, it was suggested by a skin care salesclerk at the Avena store that I look into Dr. Weil's Mega-Mushroom Skin Serum. While not specifically targeted to rosacea, it does say that it is formulated for very-sensitive skin that is prone to flushing/flare-ups. More can be read at www.origins.com

I did flinch at the price - $65 dollars for a small bottle - but it requires only a pea-sized amount twice a day. This bottle is supposed to last six months. BUT, the saleslady said to keep the receipt and if I was not pleased with the results after four weeks, I could return the unused portion for a full refund.

I've only used it for three days, but am satisfied with how my skin tolerates it. Some lotions leave a burning/stinging feeling, or a oily residue. The key will be if it continues to be helpful when this round of antibiotics is finished in just a few weeks.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has heard of or tried this line of products.

Sandy in Missouri

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 16 2006 :  9:47:54 PM  Show Profile
Sandy -- I read about this particular product the other day. Hope it works for you.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  08:03:04 AM  Show Profile
Hi, Sandy
I'm the farmgirl (well, working on getting a little place) who started that discussion thread. I also tried the Dr.Weil's line - I was desperate & paid what is for me an extraordinary amount of money. While they were gentle, I found them to be overall a waste of money. Not harmful, but they certainly didn't do anything significant.
I had not started the antibiotics, since I really hate using them. I got a second opinion. During that visit, the second dermatologist said I did NOT have rosacea, & I am now about to be tested for a very scary, cancerous condition called carcinoid syndrome. Hopefully, praise God, that will be negative, & I can resume my quest for what to do about "facial flushing" - which is what the new Doctor says I probably have. Please pray for me, & we will continue to see what can be done for facial flushing.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  08:54:22 AM  Show Profile
Melanie - my thoughts and prayers are with you...and that you not only have a negative test result, but can also find a solution to controlling this inconvenient, uncomfortable and inconsiderate syndrome of facial flushing/rosacea/whatever they call it!

It is difficult to have to deal with a problem that is so visible to the rest of the world as well. It not only impacts us physically, but also socially and emotionally. I also dislike the antibiotics, but it is a very low dose and not considered a "first-line" antibiotic. I believe that is to mean that it is not as strong or corrosive as the antibiotics prescribed to battle a full-fledged infection. I have found that if I can break the cycle of blemish flare-ups, I can then better control the problem with more gentle, exteranal applications. We shall see! The holidays will soon be over, and hopefully the new year will be a little less intense that 2006 has proven to be!

Sandy in Missouri
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  09:52:22 AM  Show Profile
Melanie, you're in my prayers, too. Hopefully the test results will follow quickly!

Sandy, while I've never heard of the type of serum you're using, I have read that sh**ake and some other (more unusual) mushrooms were anti-viral, and I now am taking a capsule daily... I have a neuropathy problem that so far cause hasn't been determined, so-- in case it's vasculitis, I'm going after my immune system. I figure that all the immune helps are good, whether it's plain yogurt, oregano oil capsules or garlic capsules. Do you happen to know if your blood counts are good, esp. white count? If not, do look into the herbal immune builders.

Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  09:56:11 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I see the filter cut into my "mushroom" name LOL! It is the oriental kind we can all get at the grocery store.

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

therusticcottage
True Blue Farmgirl

4439 Posts

Kay
Vancouver WA
USA
4439 Posts

Posted - Dec 17 2006 :  12:32:53 PM  Show Profile
What I have done to help control mine is to use calendula soap when I was my face and a cream that contains rosehip seed oil and rosewater. It helps to calm the redness and the breakouts. I have a prescription from my dermatologist that is something new. Not an antibiotic but an anti-inflammatory that also resurfaces the skin. I haven't filled it yet -- but am going to try the samples that she gave me.

The Rustic Cottage Etsy Shop http://therusticcottage.etsy.com

Visit my blog! http://nwfarmerette.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

farmingdoll
Farmgirl in Training

26 Posts

Ann
sonoma valley ca
USA
26 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  12:33:37 PM  Show Profile
I hope the results turn out negative, I have rosacea and it is miserable, I have tried different things, always afraid of spending the money after I have so many times.
Kay thank you I will try the calendula soap and try and find lotion with the rosehip seed oil and rosewater. Thanks again!ANN
Go to Top of Page
  Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic Rosacea update Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page