Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What to do???? Advice needed PLEASE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What to do???? Advice needed PLEASE! Next Topic
Page: of 2

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  1:52:35 PM  Show Profile
O.K. here is the back ground. I have wanted to own a horse since I was a little girl. I rode quite a lot when I was a child until my parents divorced. I hadn't ridden again since I was 16. Until I moved here to Rhode Island and made friends with a woman who has two horses. I rode her horses twice since. I have completely forgotten how. I get a little nervous.I want to take lessons but it would make our budget a little tight.

SO anyway here is what I need advice on. Another friend of ours works for animal control. Ever since she found out I wanted a horse she (she owns one too)calls me every so often with one she would think is perfect for me. I always find something that makes me uneasy about them but she has found one that does sound like a good match. He is a retired police horse. She said he is bomb proof and has no vices. I don't know how old he is yet. What are some other things I should ask? I keep going back and forth weather I should even go look at him. Do you think this means I am not ready? I know the expense of the ferrier and the vet checks. Our barn isn't finished yet but my girlfriend said we could board him at her house until ours is finished. I would just make a trade with her for doing her hair. Our barn is going to be started this summer.
Also I don't know if this makes a difference or not but we have been trying to get pregnant. I know I couldn't ride if I do get pregnant. I think I have started to ramble so any advice would be great!
Thanks,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  5:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
If you think taking riding lessons would make your budget tight, then I would be concerned that owning a horse would break them. Not only is there the expense for the vet checks and ferrier, there is feed costs (grain and hay), emergency vet bills, tack, grooming equipment, and you probably would still want to get those riding lessons so you could enjoy your new friend.

If you think your budget could handle a horse, I would suggest going to look at the horse. Make sure you spend a good bit of time around him before deciding and make sure they let you ride him a few times.

I know how much you want a horse because I am in the same boat myself. I would love love love to get a horse but at this point in my life I just have to say "no" to myself because I know that I would not be able to pay for any emergency care that the horse would need. I would rather my potential horses go to homes that would be able to provide emergency care if the need arose.

Also good luck on trying to get pregnant. Having a baby is an amazing thing and will change your life forever! :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  5:37:43 PM  Show Profile
I would have to agree with Alee that it is very expensive. We feed our horses grain as well as hay and they have pretty nice pasture as well. We have a small farm operation and supply all our own hay but I know that last year we got about $35 per round bail of hay. Our three horses go through a few bails a month. I am not sure how much one would need. So that is another expense.

If you do not have a trailer or anything you could pull the horse in you would have to have a vet come out to your place everytime your horse needed care and this is often an additional expense.

With your barn you would also need goo fencing. Also consider that you will have to board your horse or hire someone to look after it even if you planned just a night or two away from home.

I hate to sound like I am trying to discourage you but you seem to have a lot of aprehension already. I think too many people underestimate the cost and time it takes to care for these animals.

I would suggest that you take the lessons and put off buying a horse for now. Especially if you are considering a baby. If you get a horse and are unable to ride it for an extended time you would probably also need to send your horse to a riding camp to get reacclimated to riding.

I hope I didn't soound too pushy! Ultimatly the decision is yours but you need to really look at all the details first! GOOD LUCK!!!

Jewelry, art, baskets, etc.
www.willowartist.etsy.com
www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  06:32:12 AM  Show Profile
No you guys aren't pushy. These are the things I need to concider. We get all our hay for free. My hubby trades work for it. They sell to many horse people so I know we will have plenty. We have cows and they would have to share the pasture or we could split it. We also have the trailer already too. I am still thinking about it. It is not a decision to be taking lightly. Thanks,
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  07:02:19 AM  Show Profile
Well it sounds like you have most of the BIG stuff already figured out! Horses and cows usually like eachother!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  07:23:33 AM  Show Profile
I've been riding since I was 13 and had a few horses. When I got married I really wanted to get another horse. I was already pregnant and found a well broke gentle pregnant palomino. She was due about five months after me. I thought this would be perfect. But I greatly underestimated the amount of time I was going to be able to spend with her and the foal. As a result I finally had to sell them because I couldn't handle either of them anymore. I was never hesitant about horses, until after I had my baby. You realize someone else is depending on you and you can't afford to get hurt.
I traded the horses for a broke horse that happened to be lame, then I traded her back for another green horse. My kids are 5 and 3 and I still am having a hard time making enough time for the new one.
We have free hay and all that too and have had to have the vet out a couple times for "emergencies" Once for porrcupine quills in my colts nose and once for a piece of hay in his eye that almost caused damage. So far I have found my dogs and cats have costed more than my horses. I wish I would have waited until my kids were the age they are now and gotten a well broke horse with no issues. That's what I recommend.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  07:39:07 AM  Show Profile
Well, I'm going to be different (the story of my life!!) but I say go for it. A well broke retired Police horse sounds just the ticket. Once you buy a few brushes, a hoof pick, grab an old towel from the bathroom, a blanket, saddle, bridle, halter and lead, you're about done there. Those are one time items to buy. Altho as you go along, you will add to your collection and things will get up and walk away too!! But it's a fun thing anyway.

As for expenses, a horse can go in a cow pasture just fine as long as he knows what cows are and isn't freaked by it. Horses like friends and he wouldn't be by himself. That's the important part to him...not locked up in a stall protected from himself. I'm not talking show horses here, just a horse like you describe.

His shots and basic vet care, you can do by yourself. I couldn't tell you the last time my horses even saw a vet! I give my own shots and can stitch up a wound too. I don't vet check either as when I try them out, I ride and push them and then see if they can handle it physically and mentally. Unless a horse is on the ground spurting blood or I can't get them to get up, I can handle everything. I also get wigged pulling wolf teeth and let the shoer do that! But I've been around horses all my life and just learned to do it all. You can call the vet or take the horse to him for lesser stuff but you will find it's nice to know basic vet and do it yourself and save money.

If he's just a saddle horse, pasture should be fine for him, doesn't need high powered feed at all. You can worm him with stuff from the tack store yourself.

The only thing that I can see that would put a damper on your getting him is your pregnancy. I rode and broke a filly at 4 most pregnant but wouldn't do it again. Even if you do get him and get pregnant, he's there to listen to you and you can still brush him and lead him around and fuss with him. There is great solace in just watching a horse eat grass while you stand there with the lead in your hand, pondering nothing!!

A horse is a heckuva lot cheaper than a shrink!! I say go for it!!

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page

willowtreecreek
True Blue Farmgirl

4813 Posts

Julie
Russell AR
USA
4813 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  08:57:05 AM  Show Profile
"A horse is a heckuva lot cheaper than a shrink!! I say go for it!!"

Winona you are a funny girl!

www.willowtreecreek.com
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  10:30:11 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by goneriding

Well, I'm going to be different (the story of my life!!) but I say go for it. A well broke retired Police horse sounds just the ticket. Once you buy a few brushes, a hoof pick, grab an old towel from the bathroom, a blanket, saddle, bridle, halter and lead, you're about done there. Those are one time items to buy. Altho as you go along, you will add to your collection and things will get up and walk away too!! But it's a fun thing anyway.

As for expenses, a horse can go in a cow pasture just fine as long as he knows what cows are and isn't freaked by it. Horses like friends and he wouldn't be by himself. That's the important part to him...not locked up in a stall protected from himself. I'm not talking show horses here, just a horse like you describe.

His shots and basic vet care, you can do by yourself. I couldn't tell you the last time my horses even saw a vet! I give my own shots and can stitch up a wound too. I don't vet check either as when I try them out, I ride and push them and then see if they can handle it physically and mentally. Unless a horse is on the ground spurting blood or I can't get them to get up, I can handle everything. I also get wigged pulling wolf teeth and let the shoer do that! But I've been around horses all my life and just learned to do it all. You can call the vet or take the horse to him for lesser stuff but you will find it's nice to know basic vet and do it yourself and save money.

If he's just a saddle horse, pasture should be fine for him, doesn't need high powered feed at all. You can worm him with stuff from the tack store yourself.

The only thing that I can see that would put a damper on your getting him is your pregnancy. I rode and broke a filly at 4 most pregnant but wouldn't do it again. Even if you do get him and get pregnant, he's there to listen to you and you can still brush him and lead him around and fuss with him. There is great solace in just watching a horse eat grass while you stand there with the lead in your hand, pondering nothing!!

A horse is a heckuva lot cheaper than a shrink!! I say go for it!!

I totally agree. The one thing i would say it that if your "new" horse is really "bomb" proof it is not likely that he is going to spook at just anything and if you hsve time to create a bond and get to know him before you get pregnant you may still be able to go riding in "safe" places that you have been before with him. I have Lots and Lots of friends that ride while pregnant here. I had one that rode till she could no longer get in the saddle but she had had her horse for like 15 years and was the only one she would ride because she trusted him. You may just have to play it by ear and see how it goes. Good Luck i say go for it this horse sounds prefect.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

2 Red Barns
Farmgirl in Training

31 Posts

Jamie
Bay City Michigan
USA
31 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  10:01:59 AM  Show Profile
Hi Alicia,
I have 6 horses...a mixed bunch too. 2 Percherons, an older Morgan, a little Haflinger, and I board two Quarter Horses....I have to agree with Winona. A retired police horse will probably be very calm...for obvious reasons of being exposed to everything. But you had asked what questions to ask when looking at him. I always ask if they have ever colicked. We had a horse that was very prone to colic, she went through surgery and everything we found out from the vet that she had alot of scar tissue proving this was not the first time, very sad. You can also tell alot from their feet...a splayed hoof is a bad sign, that's usually a sign of a different problem with the leg or hoof that may have gone unidentified...navicular trouble. I also had this experience. But I sometimes think horses just like kids...is there ever the "perfect" time for them? I raised the percherons right along with the kids...sometimes working around the horses is the perfect relief for the days that just aren't too great. Can't wait to hear what you decide to do...whatever you decide do it for you!!! Jamie Ann
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  10:47:58 AM  Show Profile
Alicia, here's my take on it.

A) Riding lessons should always come before the horse, in my opinion. That allows you a bit of time to find out if this is really what you want to get back into or not. If there's any form of fear, you'll recognize it now. (Just because you were fearless as a kid doesn't mean you will be as an adult...) It's a great deal cheaper to take a few lessons than it is to buy a horse and find out a month later that this really isn't the dream you thought it was. (Lessons on a lesson horse, not your's, will keep you from spending the money on your own )

B) A retired police horse should be a good match. I'd find out how old he is, and why he was retired (if he's twenty, that would be a good reason. If he's seven, you'd better find out why.)

C) If you go see him, and he's super sweet; if he's a good boy when you ride, and you feel comfortable on him, you could probably forego the lessons, especially if you'll be riding with your friend for awhile. Riding with someone is always more fun than riding alone when you're first climbing back into the saddle. It helps build confidence.

D) The things you should look for are good teeth (get vet records if you can) and feet. Clear eyes, no runny nose, feet free from splits and cracks. Is he carrying a good weight for his size? Older horses often suffer from a disease known as Cushings; it usually shows up first as laminitis, but not always. It almost always makes eating difficult for them; they need senior horse feed and benefit from beet pulp. Run your hand along his side; you shouldn't be able to see ribs, and you shouldn't feel big ridges where they are (winter coats often hide ribs.) A little rib is okay. He shouldn't have big ol' dairy cow hip bones showing, though. Ask what type of deworming program he's on.

E) If he looks good to your eye, have a vet out to look at him. This is going to be your expense. Far better to spend $100 up front and not get him than get him and find out he's going to be a lot more care than you'd anticipated. Upkeep on a healthy horse is expensive enough, on someone else's hand me down it can be a disaster.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  6:23:12 PM  Show Profile
If you do get a vet check, make sure it is a vet who is in NO way affiliated with the owner of the horse at the time of sale. I've had several friends buying $$ horses only to find out later that the horse was lame due to (take your pick of lamenesses and enter here....). One friend asked which vet would be good as she drove quite a long way to eyeball the horse. The owner told her of a vet and the rest is histroy. My friend tried to return the horse but the previous owner wouldn't take him as he 'passed a vet check'.

March or April's Horse and Rider magazine has an article on what a vet does for a pre-purchase exam. Cherry Hill has some books that are great and she writes reader friendly. Join some horse BB's or chat sites. There are plenty and I'm a member of about 5 or so...or you can yak on here and we can all talk about it!! I can talk horses ALL day!! hehehe...

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  6:44:33 PM  Show Profile
Thank you all for your good advice. I called my friend today and left a message for her. So I can get more info. I'll let you all know as soon as I know more. THANK YOU!!!
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  7:26:21 PM  Show Profile
Just have to add my two cents here....any horse, bomb proof or not, has the potential to misbehave. They can read whether or not the rider is calm and confident or nervous and not in control. They will test you and take advantage whenever possible. I think the suggestion of lessons coming before the horse is very wise.

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  10:38:09 AM  Show Profile
If you have to take a break from riding him, is he going to stay bomb proof? Will you be able to handle him or have the money for a tune-up, if he needs it?Is there someone else that can ride him while you can't to keep him bomb proof? If there is and your husband is willing to help and be supportive ALOT when you have kids, then I would do it. But be realistic about time.

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  5:51:20 PM  Show Profile
My husband rides and so does my sister in law and my niece(who is 25) plus my girl friend would ride him if I needed her too. My husband is very supportive. He was the one who suggested I didn't wait if this horse is a good match.I haven't heard back from my friend to get more info about the horse. Who knows I might be getting my hopes up for nothing but this is a decision I won't be taking lightly. Thank you,
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:34:31 PM  Show Profile
I'm one who will always advocate lessons first, too. And if lessons will make things thin financially, what will happen when your horse has needs such as joint supplements or Adequan shots or periodic interarticular injections to stay comfortable and in work?

There's a saying among knowledgeable horsemen that the cheapest part of owning a horse is the purchase price. Nothing is quite so hard as having a beloved animal that needs something and you just don't have the money to do it. Only thing worse is if it's a child.

Also, horses that reach the point of having to have the authorities involved are often malnourished; once they're fed up, their personalities can change from bomb proof to bronc.

Lessons aren't just about getting you on a horse and an opportunity to ride. It's a chance for you to question knowledgeable people in your own area as to costs, behavior issues, management issues, medical issues, and for you to connect with quality professionals like good vets and skilled farriers, etc. I feel that you'd have more long term satisfaction if you start with lessons first.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  6:52:51 PM  Show Profile
I got some more info on the horse. He is a 18 hand Percheron that is 10 years old. He is a police horse in Providence. I asked why they were getting rid of him and she said that they get rid of them at that age to get younger ones to train. She said he can't be around other horse because he can be aggressive toward them.She said he is a dominate horse towards other horse. So they would turn him out in his own area, I would not be able to do this at my girlfriends with him. Our house would be fine because he would be the only horse but I question if it would be a good fit because if we decided to get a second horse in the future. I am leaning on saying no to this horse also because she said they have others going to retire soon and I really want the barn done before I get one but hubby and I are going to sleep on it. I know if I go and see him, that would be it.He is one of the breeds always wanted. Thank you everyone for your opinions and knowledge. Any other words of wisdom?
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  11:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
I think you are wise to be considering every angle and the new information is really important.

Now this is just my own opinion so please take it with a grain of salt. I am just speaking from my own personal experience of being in your shoes and from my experience at working at a horse breeding farm.

A horse that is a dominate horse can be problematic. Having a horse with this sort of personality means you have to always be right on top of training and proper discipline. Especially with a horse that is 18 hands tall. He is obviously an intelligent animal or he would not have qualified as a police horse so you have to be even more careful to not let him get in to bad habits.

My other observation is that while you obviously love horses and will make a great equine owner someday- you are still a bit unsure of where you stand ability wise. You are contemplating a huge life style change (having a baby). As a very new mother myself I know that having a baby will change everything for you. You also are not quite sure about your riding abilities at this time.

So to put it all together you have a pending life style change, are returning to horsemanship after a long absence, and your prospective horse could have a few challenges.

If you are willing to get help in learning how to deal with a horse with this type of personality, have the money for emergencies (a horse professional that I speak with recommends having at least $3,000 in emergency savings just for the horse), and are willing to make time for the horse no matter what else is going on in you life- I would say buy the horse. But my instincts say that this guy might not be the horse for you and that you might want to find one that is a bit easier going.

Just like any other major purchase or adoption- please don't rush it. Horses can live extremely long lives so it would be very sad if you rushed into buying a horse that was not a good mesh for your family and lifestyle.

Like I said before- this is just my opinion. Only you can decide if he is a good mesh for you and if you are really ready.

Good luck!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  07:38:45 AM  Show Profile
Eighteen hands?!?! How tall are you? I'm 5'3" and have hunters, and they're a pain to trail ride! The tallest one is 16.3 1/2, shorter than the one you're talking about, and when you're short the stirrup's short, too! It's nearly impossible to get on and off to open gates or duck under certain tree branches. My stirrup is just above my boobs. Can you stick your foot up that high and climb on something? Eighteen hands; can you even reach his mane from the ground??? The tallest I like for trail is about 15.1-15.2. And even that's rough on their withers because you have to pull to get on. Percherons often need shoes (large body mass flattens out the foot) and they cost more than regular keg shoes. A full set of keg shoes where I live with no extra forge work is $80, and that's every six weeks.

Percherons have very broad flat backs, and finding saddles to fit properly is a real pain. With saddles, 'close' doesn't make it. Having an ill fitting saddle is a lot like having a pair of ill fitting shoes; it's all you can think about, and the horse will become rebellious or rank. Eighteen hands??? That's a loooong way to fall....

If you were my client I would *so* advise you to keep on looking. The aggression issues are enough to make me say NO. That'll be nearly a TON (two thousand pounds!) of mad, and you can get in between at the wrong times. Not a good first horse.
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  09:14:11 AM  Show Profile
Agree with Horseyrider...after reading all the other posts, I think this guys isn't for you. Your gut feeling is VERY important and I can just 'see' your reticence (sp??). Also, if he's 18 hands, he's getting close to world champ in height. I know Percherons can be big but I'd say let someone really measure him from the ground up. I can't tell you the times someone has said a horse was 16h and he was only 15.2 or so or a horse was 19h....

A hand is 4 inches. So you have 14h, 14.1, 14.2, 14.3, 15h tall. No 14.4 or 14.5. See what I mean??

But to get a good horse, expect to drop some serious dough unless you are into semi-rehabbing. I don't have time to say everything I'd like as I have to get on the road but you have some good responses in this post.

Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  1:09:59 PM  Show Profile
A percheron isn't really a riding horse, anyway. They were bred as drafts to do heavy work. If he's dominant with other horses, he may try to be dominant with you as well...and certainly at that size it's not something you're going to want

I'd be looking for a nice quarter horse cross, if I were you. QH are plentiful, and they've been bred for nice, quiet work. There's always the exception, but there's a reason the breed is popular with a broad range of people.

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  6:29:28 PM  Show Profile
My girlfriend has a perecheron and he is beautiful. He is 17 hands and I have rode him many times. He is like a big puppy dog. I know not all horses are like this. We did want a draft horse for both riding and pulling. We live on 48 acres of woods. It is alot easier to get a horse in there to pull then a large tractor.My hubby has experience teaching animals to pull.

Anyway, we have decided not to get this particular horse because we really wanted the barn to be up and didn't want to board. If we had the barn it would have been a different story.Plus knowing another one would come up within the next year makes the choice easier. The reason I had said lessons would make our budget thin is right now we are paying for putting up the barn but once that is finished it is an expense we could handle with the horse care. But since I won't be paying for horse care right now.I have also decide to start taking lesson as soon as it starts to warm up here. I don't think winter is ever going to end. Thank you all for your wise words, you all have helped me a great deal with a tough decision.
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Norskema
True Blue Farmgirl

98 Posts

Candace
Central Indiana Area
USA
98 Posts

Posted - Apr 10 2007 :  3:31:44 PM  Show Profile  Send Norskema an AOL message
I think you should consider taking riding lessons, if only for a short while. It can be that the romance of the memories from when you were younger are conflicting with the reality of all that comes with taking care of a horse. Not just the expense but the real commitment. I feel the same way you do. I grew up around horses and some of my best memories are of riding through the woods and hopping on a horse and riding bareback in the pasture but I also know how much work it would be now. You should try it a little first before you are saddled (catch the pun?!) with a horse and find out it isn't what you wanted after all.

Every way of a man seems right to himself but the Lord is the tester of hearts. Proverbs 21:2
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  4:57:45 PM  Show Profile
ok Alicia
it's been awhile since you've said anything.. & i just saw this....
So.. since we haven't seen anything letting us know of a new arrival i'm guessing that you said no to that big boy..?
i really agree too that he just didn't sound right .. not right now anyway.. & he may really be a sweetie pie.. but all you need is to be up on his back.. WAYYY up on his back. & for him to start showing his butt.. Which sounds like something he probably tends to do..

i think ( & yes.. yet another opinion..) that fou should find a Stable close by that you meet the people there that you like.. & enjoy their company.. & start hanging around the barn!! If it's the right barn.. the right people.. they'll love this!
i had my own barn for years.. i had boarders.. My own horses.. Studs.. & sale horses too. i even had Sumercamp & gave lessons..( which i usualy gave away!.. or bartered!!)
But i always had a steady flow of girls that loved to just come by to spend time at the barn.. just good company.. & kids too.. that wanted to mess with the horses a bit.. I called them "Barn Brats" i never paid anyone.. Lunch now & then maybe.. & made some great friends.. But they were willing to really help out.. JUST TO BE NEAR THE HORSES!
They helped clean stalls.. they helped keep the barn tidy..
Some of them were so trusted i could leave them there when i had to run errands.. BUT.. what they got out of it.. was to be able to be near a horse.. the opportunity to brush the horses.. help turn them out in the mornings.. & bring them back in in the afternoons.. help hold on to them when the Farrier or the Vet came..
& this started giving them the confidence they needed to make that plunge themselves.. So once we were both comfortable enough.. then i allowed them to ride a horse now & then.. Great excersise for the horse.. & great therapy for my Barn Brats! Didn't cost me a penny in labor.. & i usually sold a horse that way too!.. But this will be a great way for you to get back in there again.. We all know that once it's in your blood.. you always want to be near one again..
Go see what's out there.. you won't know if you don't ask..

Good luck Sweetie.. I hope you get your horse!
Kathie

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  5:22:00 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Kathie-

You are so sweet to have allowed the "barn brats" to hang out and help like that! I know how much that sort of kindness means to a person that is completely horse-crazy and yet can not completely afford their own at the time.

Alee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What to do???? Advice needed PLEASE! Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page