Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Barnyard Buddies
 What to do???? Advice needed PLEASE!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What to do???? Advice needed PLEASE! Next Topic
Page: of 2

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 26 2007 :  6:31:36 PM  Show Profile
Well Kathie it is funny you ask. I did say no to him because I agree when I found out he was dominate, he wouldn't be right for me. But I am going to "Hang out" every Saturday morning with my friend who has the two horses and she is going to show me the ropes. I do know how to ride, just has been a long time. I did decide that it was time for me to make time for my own hobby. Since I have moved on the farm ,besides gardening I haven't really been doing the things I enjoy. I love the chickens but my dream has always been having a horse. So it is time for me to get the knowledge I need. Everyone has been so encouraging here, it is great. Most people look at me as say why would you want one of those, they cost too much and are dangerous. Mostly the city people. I'll let you know how my first Saturday goes. Thank you,
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  08:31:39 AM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
Good Luck "hanging" at the barn. That is the best way to learn. Then you can kinda learn what behaviors you find desirable(sp) in a horse. What is right for your friend may not be right for you. In the beginning a babysitter horse would be the way to go. Gentle and non pushy. Then as you get better and decide if you want to do more than just trail ride you can really look for a horse that fits what you want to do. Take your time when buying a horse, like the other posters said you don't want someone elses problem. Good Luck

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  5:51:11 PM  Show Profile
At my age, a bomb-proof gelding is the way to go too, not just the younger set!! My joints and muscles and etc just ain't what they used to be, sad to say.

Yep, hanging out at the barn is the best, you can't just buy a kit and 'fix' everything...horses take time.

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com

Edited by - goneriding on Apr 27 2007 5:52:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  6:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Here's my thinking. You will have a barn, so you can get a horse at any time from here on out pretty much.

I say, and this is coming from someone who has already gone through the baby-making years, wait until your baby comes, then you can decide. You may change your mind about wanting a regular horse until you are done with the child-bearing years and you can get your children started on ponies instead, first. And then as your family grows, pick out a horse for yourself. Ponies would give you the horse experience, and you can get used to being around horses again. And then when you get your own horse, you can choose one that is younger and you and your kids can get riding-lessons.

Just an idea. Having children is such an investment. You will have a different perspective once you become a mother. : )

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 27 2007 :  6:46:08 PM  Show Profile
I don't know if everyone knows but I am already a mom. I have a 17 year old son. I know exactly what I am getting myself into. I am almost done with my baby making years. That is one of the problems. I might not be able to have another child so I really can't count on having one. I can hope. When my son was young I financially strapped, I had a dead beat husband but my life is so much different now. I am married to a wonderful man and I do have some disposable income now. I chose right now to invest it into getting our farm how we want it and something I always wanted, a horse.

I agree to wait until the barn is finished and get some lessons.
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  09:25:38 AM  Show Profile
Oh, Alicia - this is all so exciting! I just KNOW that there is the perfect horse out there for you...and you'll know it. Here's to building a wonderful barn, taking some enjoyable riding lessons, and finding a great match of a horse!!!!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  10:11:00 AM  Show Profile
Well my first "lesson" was great. She showed me how to groom real quick and said have fun. So I did her horse first. He is so calm and I got comfortable real quick. Then she showed me some hoof care. I was a bit nervous about that so she said that is something I need to work on. Then she got her daughters horse for me to clean up. He is a little nervous and moved quicker but after he and I settled down some he was easy. He was covered in mud because he loved to roll around but he looked great after. He doesn't like his feet being touch so she did his feet until I get more comfotable. Then I thought I was going to clean out the stalls and be done for the day but she wanted to show me how to put the sattle and the bridle on. The she says get on. We'll just walk around the ring. So we did and then she says ride around the ring for a bit.I'll be right back. She came back with her horse all set to ride. She asked me how I was feeling. I said good. This horse was well behaved and did respond well to me. She says lets go for a trail ride. I was like ok.I was a little nervous but I had SOOOOOO Much FUN!!!! We rode through the woods down to a trail and it was great. I just needed to get my cofidence back. I need to buy a helmet too.
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  1:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Alicia-

Oh yes! A good helmet is a must! To think of all the times I when riding as a kid without a helmet! Oh my word!

A few years ago I was taking some horseback riding lessons. I am pretty comfortable in a western saddle. I can stay on if the horse is being a pill and even bucks a bit but I sure wouldn't win any prizes if I rode in a show. Anyway- since I feel pretty comfortable with western, I asked my instructor to teach me English. Several sessions in, I was still really awkward with my balance, but was getting better. One day the horse was being a bit more feisty than normal and I ended up coming off as she turned a corned as I was unbalanced. I hit my head on the ground, but had tucked and rolled so I wasn't hurt at all. But if I hadn't had the helmet I probably would have been hurt.

I am so glad you had such a wonderful day! I am so jealous that you go to go riding, but I am really happy for you too!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Phils Ann
True Blue Farmgirl

1095 Posts

Ann
Parsonsburg Maryland
USA
1095 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile
Alicia, I'm so excited for you! My MIL had about 25 years without a horse, then started in again at 60 (which, for her and her stiff joints, caused problems), so I think it's wonderful you're going ahead and getting back into it now. Your ability to ride and get back the confidence before getting your own horse should make a world of difference!
XO,
Ann

There is a Redeemer.
Go to Top of Page

Tracey
True Blue Farmgirl

766 Posts

Tracey
State of Confusion
USA
766 Posts

Posted - Apr 28 2007 :  6:27:24 PM  Show Profile
How exciting! Glad you and your friend are able to buddy up until your place is ready.

Visit Quiet Storm, our adopted Mustang! http://wildaboutquietstorm.com

http://carpentercreek.blogspot.com http://mustangdiaries.blogspot.com http://marbletownangels.blogspot.com

Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:00:33 AM  Show Profile
ok.. how did the week end go girl?

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  11:58:27 AM  Show Profile
Hi Kathie,
I posted up a few post ago how it went Saturday.I still am on cloud nine. I did so well. I remembered alot that I had thought I had forgetten. My girlfriend was even surprized how I did. The ride was not perfect her horse is young and is scared of tons of things at one point there was a down tree across the trail that was too high to walk over but too low to go under. So she wanted to go around. The embankment was pretty steep, the first time we went around went fine because we went up but the way back I was first and the horse I was riding got a little spooked and wouldn't go down, he decided he wanted to go into the woods. I handled him well and straighten him out and went down no problem. ( Sounds eay now but I was nervous). She came down and said WOW I am impressed, I thought oh no we have a problem but you got a handle on it right away. That is when I realised I was ok. and I did remember what I was doing. SO I can't wait to go again,
Alicia

follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

Kathie
True Blue Farmgirl

2436 Posts

Kathie
Thonotosassa Florida
USA
2436 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  3:03:10 PM  Show Profile
Honey i am So Pleased for you!!!
I knew that was exactly what you needed..
Get your self out there & start messing with a few horses..
Boosts your spirits right up again!!
Just being around them, touching them.. handeling them..
Gives you so much more confidence.. doesn't it?
See.. just like riding a bike!! But SOOOOOOooooooo much better!!
They respond to you! Bikes just sit there..
I'm happy you've made this step..
Keep up the pace.. i really think your on the right track now!

In a World Where you Can Be Anything, Be Yourself..
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Apr 30 2007 :  10:04:26 PM  Show Profile
Alicia! That sounds WONDERFUL!!!!! I'm so glad that you were able to go riding and remind yourself what you know how to do --- Enjoy it!!! I think Kathie said it best -- Keep up the pace!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Horseyrider
True Blue Farmgirl

1045 Posts

Mary Ann
Illinois
1045 Posts

Posted - May 01 2007 :  04:11:51 AM  Show Profile
Ahh, you take me back many years to the thrills of the first rides! There is nothing so exhilirating, so intoxicating, so motivating as those first rides. They're like water in the desert.

Here's to many, many more, and lots of learning experiences!
Go to Top of Page

goneriding
True Blue Farmgirl

1599 Posts

Winona
Central Oregon
USA
1599 Posts

Posted - May 04 2007 :  06:53:34 AM  Show Profile
Congrats on the ride...a good warm soak and ibuprofen, you'll be back in biz in no time!! hehehe...

Winona :-)

Don't sweat the small stuff...

http://goneridingagain.bravehost.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Barnyard Buddies: Previous Topic What to do???? Advice needed PLEASE! Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page