Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A New Project Next Topic  

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  11:30:45 AM  Show Profile
I started an afghan the other day and I just can't get excited about it. This is totally not me, I usually get really enthusiastic about my projects. I think it's a combo of the color and having to tear it all out after 10 rows and start over again. How do you gal's get the motivation to finish a project that bores you? Maybe you don't start boring projects :)
You can check out my UGHH project at:
www.pinecanyonranch.com

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile
I don't get motivated. If it doesn't motivate me, I usually put it down and then convince myself to frog it. If it doesn't motivate you, then why do it? I'd rather "waste" the time searching for a project that motivates me than doing one I don't really like. Go searching for something else- you can find lots of free patterns (do you knit or crochet?) and www.craftster.org/forum or www.knittersreview.com (then go to the forums).

Good luck!

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  3:31:30 PM  Show Profile
Hmmmm...I know what you men. At first it may seem oK, but somehow it gets off to a bad start and you just wish it was over with already.

I would keep this as a take along project to work on while sitting down and chatting with moms at swim lessons this summer. This way, the time moves on, you are keeping busy, but you are not bored with it as you are visiting while working on it. Otherwise, can you use the yarn in a different project?

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

sunshine78
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Cynthia
Western Nebraska
106 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  4:23:50 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the thoughts ladies!

Cynthia
www.pinecanyonranch.com
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  09:45:32 AM  Show Profile
Do you have access to a group of ladies who get together and "finish" their projects? At our local library, there's a meeting twice a month where anyone can come, bring their work, and encourage, admire, and help each other.

If you still aren't thrilled about your afghan, maybe you could find someone to swap projects with? Just about everyone has something they started and stashed without finishing... It might bring the fun back, thinking about the other person as you finish the work they started.

I know the ones I force myself to finish don't bring me the same joy as the ones I couldn't wait to get done. They just don't feel the same. Think how you'd feel about your project when you think of the other people involved with it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  10:44:00 AM  Show Profile
i WAS That way with my latest afagan. I totally love Needlework. and love to knit which this one was.
I put several rows of knitted chain stitch and severl rows of just plain kntting. And changing colors from navy blue beige, wine and a baby blue and a sage green navy blue in btween the colors that done in just plain knitting each row.
It was out of lion brands marino wool
it took about a month to constantly knitting it, and I didn't think I would ever get it done.Ha
I too like the take alon projects; but I have the big ones at times like the afagan . I wanted it done before it got hot.
We purchase a almost new lazboy couch and lazy boy rocker relcliner from my recent deceased Uncles estate. The afagan looks good with the couch.
I love so many different kinds of Needlework.
I want to learn to do Bobbin lace making.
I would try working on something else while you are doing the afagan. It won't seem like a big chore.
Sometimes , working on just one thing will really bog you down especially if it is a quilt or afagan.
I know people on different forums who just make afagans. I couldn't work on just one thing like that all the time.
Good luck Pinkroses.
Go to Top of Page

katmom
True Blue Farmgirl

17161 Posts

Grace
WACAL Gal WashCalif.
USA
17161 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  8:56:28 PM  Show Profile
Sunshine78,
I had promised my dear hubby that I would crochet him a new & larger afgahn,,,a black one in a shell pattren. That was in the spring of 2006, and here it is spring of 2007 and I am barely 1/2 way done...but a promise is a promise and I figure by the time we both retire to a nursing home it should be done! LOL!
tata-4-now

>^..^<
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic A New Project Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page