Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Stitching & Crafting Room
 Does anyone have an embroidery machine?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone have an embroidery machine? Next Topic  

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  06:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
If so, can you reccomend a brand, or other things to look for. Also, do you feel it's worth what you paid for it, and do you use it alot?

Ricki

~Ricki~
You can't pour anything out of an empty vessel, take care of yourself!

KarenP
True Blue Farmgirl

666 Posts

Karen
Chippewa Falls Wisconsin
USA
666 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  07:04:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ricki,
I have a Singer EU (bought about '98) that attaches to a computer. I use it from time to time, but found without digitizing software which is extra money, manually setting up stitches and fill is kind of a pain.
I'm glad I didn't spend $4000-$5000 on an embroidery machine.
This was about $1100 at the time from Alternative Sewing in Minneapolis.
I know my sewing machine repair guy thought the unit was a real waste of money, but of course he sells babylock embroidery machines!
The things I have done turned out well.
The one thing that I don't like is the small embroidery area 4" x 4" with the standard hoop. I did buy a Hoop d hoop to extend that but it's a pain to use too.
I mainly do names on stuff for people if they ask, I don't advertise and I bought the machine for myself. Here is picture the totes I did last year, just a quick embroidery project I did the pieces for 7 totes in just a few minutes.
http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f109/karenp2/IM001670.jpg
I don't use it as much as I thought, but I'm glad I have it.
I will probably sell it sometime, but I'm sure as the software is getting older, nobody will want the DOS based program.
Hope this is helpful.
KarenP

"Purest Spring Water in the World"
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  10:50:15 AM  Show Profile
I have a Janome 9500. it is a computer sewing/ embrodiery machine.
I simply love it. It is 2005 model.
The only draw back is how expensive those embroidery computer cards can be You can save up or ask for those for special gifts for yourself at Christmas.
I use to think how hard they were to operate. but they are really simple.
Be sure to take the classes that is usually offered with the purchase.
If you don't have a computer sewing machine.
You might want to look into the sewing/ embrodiery type.
I also have a basic Elna computer machine and still love it.
'I don't use it right now as I don't have the room
But, I will have a sewing room when we build our retirement home.
Good luck at purchasing one.
Oh, You might go on line and check the different ones out.
Do a lot of research and make sure you love the model first. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  4:49:11 PM  Show Profile
I am researching these right now. I am quite taken with the viking designer I as it has sturdy sewing for practical projects, but also lovely embroidery options.

Check out http://sewing.patternreview.com/ There are excellent reviews of machines posted here, by many different levels of users... advanced to beginning.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  8:49:37 PM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
Thank you all for the great replies, this is the BEST community :)

Well, I went and checked out Hancocks machines today and they only had ONE model of embroidery machine. But I found a place a few blocks over that sells Viking, Husqvarna, and Pfaff ~ so that opened up my options a whole lot (unfortunately, they weren't open today). So I'm going to study up, thanks for that review site, I think that will be amazingly helpful as well as the great suggestions here!

Thanks agaiN!
Ricki

~Ricki~
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  10:35:35 AM  Show Profile
I checked out the website Lizabeth suggested for the info on my Bernina Artista 730 and there was just one review which was positive. I know I will love mine, just have to take the classes and learn how to use it!! I'd better, it cost more than twice what my first new car was in 1968!! Of course, wages are a bit more, too, along with everything else.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  12:24:38 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations on the new machine! have fun learning, and may you have a long happy time with it!

Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  1:25:37 PM  Show Profile
btw what was it about the bernina that you preferred this machine to others?

Go to Top of Page

brightmeadow
True Blue Farmgirl

2045 Posts

Brenda
Lucas Ohio
USA
2045 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  6:27:05 PM  Show Profile
I originally bought a Brother PE150 on closeout at WalMart - because I wasn't sure I would like machine embroidery... I think I paid about $150.

- Low cost entry into machine embroidery
- learned a lot
- lots of free designs on Brother web site and a lot of other places
Don't like:
- Uses proprietary card for designs, can't transfer them directly from computer - had to buy an "amazing box" and software to get free designs from the internet into the embroidery machine...
- Seemed to jam up a lot (but later I found I wasn't threading it correctly)

Last year I broke down and spent 10 times the amount on a Janome. I love it! Especially being able to transfer the designs directly from the computer to the emb. mach. via flash card.

The Janome seems quieter and seems to have less vibration and the designs seem more "repeatable" but I can't be sure it isn't just a perception problem.

I am still a "newbie" at machine embroidery but am getting better all the time. You'll love it!

If anyone has a favorite digitizing software I am looking to improve on my "click and stitch" - any preferences out there?

You shall eat the fruit of the labor of your hands - You shall be happy and it shall be well with you. -Psalm 128.2
Visit my blog at http://brightmeadowfarms.blogspot.com ,web site store at http://www.watkinsonline.com/fish or my homepage at http://home.earthlink.net/~brightmeadow
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  9:34:19 PM  Show Profile
My other half bought me a Viking Rose about 10 years ago and I did some sewing with it, but hardly any embroidery, though I had the software and everything needed. Can't blame the machine, it was the owner of the shop who taught the classes and was a rude snobby witch. Every time I sat at the machine, I had these bad vibes from her, even though she was no longer at the store and I never saw her again. Sounds crazy, but it gave me such a bad feeling I didn't want to use it.
Traded it in for the Bernina last summer. Only thing I can say for sure is I didn't like the bobbin placement on the Viking, even with my very small fingers, it was hard to get in and out of the machine. Both are good machines, as are Pfaff and Elna, it's just what you feel most comfortable with I'm sure. Now I have two Featherweights to play with too, the one I got for $100 and the one I bought from Gloria (berries, our super duper farm girl machine quilter). I must hurry now, need to make a quilt for her to quilt before she retires!
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  04:21:00 AM  Show Profile
I have a Bernina 180e I purchased 5 years ago. I purchased it used and it was $1800 with the embroidery unit. I also have a White 3300. If you can afford it I would go with the largest stitch field you can afford. I'm always longing to try the larger designs but too lazy to split. I use Origins and Embird for digitizing. I am just starting to use Artista Designer so I'm not so familiar with it. Origins is very easy to use but you really do need a clean image to get a great looking design from. I digitize in Origins then I pull the design into Embird or Artista to clean up the look of the design one stitch at a time. Sometimes a small custom logo takes me about 8 hours to complete with test stitching and everything. Before my daughter was diagnosed with Autism and my life turned into nurse, chauffer, and caretaker I owned a home embroidery and sewing business. I used to do custom logos and made embroidered baby items to sell. Now I haven't touched my machines in weeks. But I still have them and some day I'll get a handle on things and go back to my business. I always tell myself theres a time and a season for everything and this is not my season, it's my daughters. Good luck on your search for a machine.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

simpler1773
True Blue Farmgirl

234 Posts

Ricki
Ashland Wisconsin
USA
234 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  06:01:11 AM  Show Profile  Send simpler1773 a Yahoo! Message
(((hugs))) to you Ayako! My daughter doesn't have autism and I have to tell myself that very same thing almost every day, it's become my mantra. You sound like a strong mama!

Thank you all again for the advice. Going off to the dealership today with all of this info tucked into my brain :)

~Ricki~
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Apr 05 2007 :  09:45:31 AM  Show Profile
Hi Ricki,
I have a Brother PC 6500. Bought it from allbrands.com about 4 years ago. I just LOVE it!
It embroiders so nicely and sews like a cadillac. I also have an Amazing Box. It is a design convertor box that allows me to copy images to my card and then use in my embroidery machine. It was pricey (to me)about $900 but I use it all of the time. The best part is, I have an automatic gift whenever I need one. I keep a supply of towels that I have purchased on sale at TJ Maxx. Anytime a birthday comes along or a wedding, I can run out to the storehouse and pick out a few towels and embroider monogramms on them.
Lindy

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Does anyone have an embroidery machine? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page