Author Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Machines Next Topic  

fallsfarms
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  8:58:41 PM  Show Profile

Hi Everyone!
We would like to give our DD a nice computerized sewing machine for her 11th birthday.
She loves to sew, and needs something easy to use.
Any suggestions on a brand or style?
Thanks!

~Joy

Aunt George
True Blue Farmgirl

1476 Posts

Georgann
Midlothian VA
1476 Posts

Posted - Mar 03 2007 :  10:15:13 PM  Show Profile
Janome!
I love Janome!! Get her something that she will have a good experience on!

http://auntgeorgeshouse.blogspot.com/index.html
Thanks for checking out my apron and sewing musings!
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  2:14:45 PM  Show Profile
I second that Auntie.
I have one and it has an embroiedry machine on it too. It costs a lot more; but well worth it.
I also have a Elna computer machine that is just a basic computer. I loved it too. I still have it; it is in good condition.
I have the Janome 9500 I love it. It is lavender and white one of my favorite colors.
These machines are very easy to use and I think she would love them
I wanted a Bernian(sp) ; but, I couldn't afford theirs too expensive. Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

Ronna
True Blue Farmgirl

1891 Posts

Ronna
Fernley NV
USA
1891 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  2:49:50 PM  Show Profile
Are Bernina's more $$$ than Janome? Now you tell me :) Doesn't matter, I think I'll be more than happy with the Bernina once I learn how to use it.
I do believe for a first machine, going with a name brand without many bells and whistles to intimidate a new sewer is good advice. And you can always trade up if she needs more machine... might even find one someone else has traded in for a good price and get more machine.
Ronna
Go to Top of Page

happymama58
True Blue Farmgirl

1210 Posts

Patti
Missouri
USA
1210 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  3:12:51 PM  Show Profile
I have a Bernina that my dad bought me (long story that makes me cry), and I absolutely love it. One of my closest friends is a FACS (used to be Home Ec) teacher, and she swears by Bernina except for the 2nd to last metal machine they made. SOmething about metal spurs on the motor or something. I can't remember.

You might want to check a local sewing machine shop that also does repairs. The one near here often gets barely-used machines that people with more money than sense -- trade up almost every time something new comes out -- have traded in. They sell those models much cheaper. The same friend (FACS teacher) bought a barely-used embroider machine for 40% off. SHe said some of the stuff wasn't even out of the little sealed plastic baggies!

Good luck!

Some people search for happiness; others create it.

Please visit me at www.marykay.com/pmiinch
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  4:42:10 PM  Show Profile
Ronna -- Frankly , they just have more stuff maybe.
But, I love my Janome, and my Elna.
I am glad for my decisons .But, every where I looked they keep talking about Bernia's? Pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

sewgirlie
True Blue Farmgirl

1894 Posts

Sheryl-lyn
Calverton NY
USA
1894 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  4:56:33 PM  Show Profile
Many of the Singers and Kenmore machines also have some embroidery on them. They are also easy to use. My friend got a little Janome and she loves it. Says it is easy to thread, etc and works really well. I have used it at her house when we are sewing and it is nice.
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Mar 04 2007 :  6:09:10 PM  Show Profile
Not to be different, but I have a Pfaff. Have had it for years and am very happy with it. I chose Pfaff over Bernina because the even feed foot was a part of the machine, not an accessory. I also liked the automatic needle threader - even when my eyes weren't so bad!

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

nitere
True Blue Farmgirl

482 Posts

Amy
Hickory NC
USA
482 Posts

Posted - Mar 05 2007 :  5:42:17 PM  Show Profile
i have a bernina. the dealer here sells used machines. mine was used and much less expensive than a new one. bernina has some more affordable models. however, my first machine was a brother. it was pretty sad, though. i bought it when i was in high school and was so proud! i had no idea how easy sewing could be until i bought my bernina. i can't really speak on the other machines, since these are the only two i have ever owned, but i can highly recommend bernina.

http://www.buraellen.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

suzyhomemaker
True Blue Farmgirl

806 Posts

Clare
Tyler Hill PA
USA
806 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  06:05:38 AM  Show Profile
I agree with ponyexpress about the features of Pfaff that make it so easy to use, perfect stitching. I LOVE my two Pfaffs. One is computerized, my newer one, but my original, over 12 years now, I use often and my daughter uses it. It is basic, but it has the IDT (built in walking foot). This makes sewing a true pleasure, quilting so easy, heavy and slippery fabrics feed evenly and easily. It is a machine to last a lifetime. It cost just under $1000 at the time, but I think you can find them for $750 now.

I also bought my daughter a small Janome, 3/4 sized. I bought the 1/4" foot for doing quilts. It is a good machine, cost around $150. Still, I prefer and so does my daughter, the Pfaffs. She is constantly using my older Pfaff (so glad I have two machines now!)

I have a singer that I keep to use in flordia at my mom's house. It is very reliable and can do all the basics-straight stitching, zigzag, buttonholes. it is easy to use and stitches evenll. It was about $125 years back.

Ok, so what you need to know is if she wil lsew for her lifetime. If so, then invest in a better machine like a Pfaff. I'm not so crazy about Berninas. I hate the extra walking foot attachment. If she is just learning to sew, get a good basic like a singer, janome or kenmore.

Country girl in NE PA
Go to Top of Page

BarefootGoatGirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1495 Posts

Corrine
North Carolina
USA
1495 Posts

Posted - Mar 06 2007 :  11:05:51 AM  Show Profile  Send BarefootGoatGirl a Yahoo! Message
I have an OLD Bernina (garage sale special) that is great, but my Husquvarna is absolutly awesome. For a young girl, I would go with the Bernina though. Some friends of ours bought one for their daughter and are very happy with it and it was quite a bit less expensive...the only reason I got the expensive machine that is did is hubby insisted on it (I feel so loved everytime I sit down to sew).

Trina

'
Of all the things I have created, my children are the best.
Go to Top of Page

pinkroses
True Blue Farmgirl

2350 Posts

Sheila
Virginia
USA
2350 Posts

Posted - Mar 07 2007 :  1:53:31 PM  Show Profile
I love computer machines.
I thought that when I purchse my Elna ( just a computer machine)Oh no what have I done.
They are really very easy to use.
I love the features on them too
I love the drop in bobbin. Easy to see if you are running out of thread.
I love my new Janome. I love the feature that you can use for embroidery machine or just a computer machine.
I like too; because it has a feature that you can use it with a presser foot . This is good for so many different sewing projects.
You can buy a basic computer machine that doesn't cost an arm and leg eighter. pinkroses
Go to Top of Page

fallsfarms
Farmgirl in Training

15 Posts

USA
15 Posts

Posted - Mar 30 2007 :  9:36:44 PM  Show Profile
Hi Ladies!!

Thank you so much for all your great advice!!
We got our daughter a Janome Decor' 2007 computerized machine.
Her birthday is April 10th, I know she'll be happy with her gift!
The nice folks at the dealership said they would teach her how to use it!!!
Thanks again!!

~Joy
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Mar 31 2007 :  06:48:49 AM  Show Profile
Neither of my daughters really sews (neither do I for that matter). So, call me old fashioned, but I think they should all know the basics of sewing and have at least a basic sewing machine for when that time arises when they need to make or repair something. I went out on a limb and bought my older daughter a Singer for her 26th or 27th birthday (she's almost 30 now), and she's sewn curtains, slipcovers for her furniture, a dog bed cover for her dog, and maybe some other things. Just last month I again went out on a limb and got our younger daughter a Janome. I just gave it to her last week, so she hasn't sewn anything yet. Any recommendations as far as learning to sew for the girls? They both took the minimum home ec classes in high school (which is another rant I could go on--we took 2 years of home ec - cooking & sewing - now they get away with 1 semester where they cram all of that in plus "family life" skills. Not enough as far as I'm concerned). Anyway, I suggested quilting classes since that typically starts you out slow with straight seams, no zippers or anything too fancy. Or do you thing clothing classes would give them a better start?

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  4:56:36 PM  Show Profile
The home sewing association http://www.sewing.org/ has free projects in various areas and links to instructors in your area. This is an excellent website.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

ktknits
True Blue Farmgirl

582 Posts

Kathy
Northwest Indiana
USA
582 Posts

Posted - Apr 01 2007 :  7:16:48 PM  Show Profile
Thanks--I'll give their site a look!

http://ktknits.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

cinnamongirl
True Blue Farmgirl

1682 Posts

Carrie

Canada
1682 Posts

Posted - Apr 02 2007 :  07:20:24 AM  Show Profile
I waited untill my fortieth!! lol I have a Kenmore as they are cheaper. But I found phaff has more options and classes. I found Janome is good but parts are more costly. You could go to all the dealers and have demos too but it really did not help me and the other thing is u need to use a surge cord you know for power outages like a computer or it will blow and they are costly to fix!! I think your daughter is pretty lucky to get any machine!! Lovely gift
Go to Top of Page
  Stitching & Crafting Room: Previous Topic Sewing Machines Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page