Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Milky Spores Diseases Next Topic  

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  6:38:00 PM  Show Profile
Hi! This is my first posting :). I have been researching out what Milky Spore diseases are and found it at my co-op. It seems to be organic and is supposed to kill Japanese Beetle larvae. I plan on putting it on my roses since I've been losing the war for a couple of years now. My husband says he plans to put it on the whole yard. Has anyone else used this? Thanks! Terre

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  4:41:11 PM  Show Profile
Hi Terre and welcome to MJF! Japanese beetle grubs are found in your lawn and they feed on your grasses root system. Mature beetles after they have become fully formed are what flies around and devours your roses from the top down. Milky spore works very well in the lawn if you apply it for several years you will see an enormous difference. The one problem is that if you have neighbors and they don't treat for beetles you will still see a migration of the adult form eating your roses and think it is not working, when it really is doing wonders under the grass. There are beetle traps that are pheromone based to "attract" the adult form and can save you from losing all your roses. The trick is to keep them cleaned out daily because they do not come in to the trap if they "smell" decaying beetles! Hope that helps !

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  10:10:35 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Terre

Hi! This is my first posting :). I have been researching out what Milky Spore diseases are and found it at my co-op. It seems to be organic and is supposed to kill Japanese Beetle larvae. I plan on putting it on my roses since I've been losing the war for a couple of years now. My husband says he plans to put it on the whole yard. Has anyone else used this? Thanks! Terre

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page

Terre
True Blue Farmgirl

97 Posts

Indiana
USA
97 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  10:15:19 AM  Show Profile
Hi True Blue! Thank-you for the information. Sorry, it took me a while to figure out how to reply :) I really am green to this web site, but hopefully it won't take me to long to bloom. I really enjoy reading the postings and I am learning so much. The really great thing is on my lunch when everyone else is watching soaps--I can get a real pick me up by logging on and seeing what is going on. I plan on putting the milky spore diseases on this weekend. I finally got it all weeded. My husband says weeding doesn't take the place of exercise. I beg to differ. Hope all is going well with you in your part of the world!

Be true in heart.
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Milky Spores Diseases Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page