True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 02 2004 :  12:55:18 PM  Show Profile
Hi Y'all Farmgirls (& Guys?),

I FINALLY got my garden started! The weather, and family issues were just not cooperating. With the help of a neighbor's tiller, we got my 20 x 40 ft. garden cleared out, mulched it and decided to use container gardens, since it's so late in the season to get the soil in any shape (I didn't have a garden for two years due to health issues). My wonderful hubby built some wooden containers, and I've planted beans, and lettuces, and put in some tomato plants, peppers and cukes. Luckily I still have lots of room to plant more!

Does anyone else use container? I'd like to hear your experiences, and what plants do best in them (I've only used them before on a limited basis).

Cecelia

ce's farm

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  9:15:12 PM  Show Profile
Ha! A woman after my own heart! I am just discovering the convenience of container gardening. We live in the woods..lots of shade. I have perinnials and herbs, and am just planning little pockets of color closer to the house. Just planted beautiful, tall daisies. (And, pinched one to take to the office with me this morning.)
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jul 28 2004 :  9:45:10 PM  Show Profile
I always do a little container gardening, but I remember years ago, (probably 15) I lived in a very strange rental house where most all the house was downstairs (big house, lots of bedrooms, two bathrooms and a giant size family room) except the kitchen, dining room and living room (I called it adult land) were upstairs, along with a big old deck with an ocean view..I planted the most wonderful container garden out on that deck..it was such a neat place to go all alone with my cup of herbal tea and read. I just love love loved it. The yard there was pretty dismal, and I knew it was only a one year stay, but when I moved many of my potted herbs and flowers moved along and were planted in the ground at the new place...it is such a nice memory. I could see me recreating that in my old age or if I ever have a perfect deck like that again...no deck here..but it was just so nice. Thanks for reminding me of that "era" in my life.

Jenny in Utah

Bloom where you are planted!
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 30 2004 :  5:10:43 PM  Show Profile
Ooh, I'm getting jealous - a pool and a greenhouse? Our neighbors on both sides have pools and we've never been in either one. (that's OK with me). I'd like to have a small greenhouse, because with the weather here I can't get anything in the ground until the end of May, but right now I don't have time to do more than my small garden anyway. It's raining again today - we had 2 inches of rain in about 6 hours the other night, so at least I haven't had to do any watering!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  7:09:36 PM  Show Profile
Hi Lori,

The pool and greenhouse sound great, but I know I couldn't live in La, I can't stand the heat either. We visited Louisiana about 10 years ago, and I hated the heat, I think it was in July or August when we were there, around Shreveport. I know what you mean about northern time - I can't wait until Oct. or Nov. around here. Right now we've had a lot of rain, one night we had almost 2", and last night almost an inch. Everythings pretty much waterlogged, but with the containers they drain very well, and I haven't had to water anything this year. Enjoy the pool, watch the stars shine. Blue moon tonight too!

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

n/a
deleted

57 Posts

Judith
Rockford IA
57 Posts

Posted - Jul 31 2004 :  9:18:29 PM  Show Profile
Hi, ladies. Isn't that blue moon beautiful! I've been thinking about it for a few days now..We just returned from my in-laws..a 2 hr. drive. I could see the moon all the way. Actually it was bright orange, like a harvest moon tonight. We took a emergency trip to Las Vegas a couple of weeks ago. Hot, Hot, Hot. But good to the old bones. Lots of swimming pools. Very brown. (But it is July) Also, have been to Eureka, Arkansas in July. ( what is it with these July trips?) Couldn't go any further south. I started to melt right into a puddle on the highway. Also, "in July" we took a driving vacation to San Diego..with two pre-teens, and no air. What a trip. Our plan is to retire someday to Ely, Minnesota. The Boundary Waters Canoe Area. We check the weather report for Ely every day. Alot of winter days it is warmer there than here in Iowa.
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 02 2004 :  6:26:46 PM  Show Profile
It sounds like you all have been doing some traveling this year. We will be going to W.Virginia (never been) in a couple of weeks; I'm not really looking forward to it, first of all because I'm not much of a vacation/traveling person, and second, we're driving and my car needs to be replaced! It may prove to be an interesting trip. The car is 10 years old and has over 120,000 mi. on it (and a lot of new parts), no AC - this was the first car I ever had that had it, so I only sort of miss it. My container gardens are doing good, have had LOTS of lettuce along with LOTS of rain, but my peppers aren't doing well at all; cucumbers are OK, tomatoes coming along slowly but surely. My herb garden (not in containers) is also doing well. I hope everyone enjoys what August will bring.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

cecelia
True Blue Farmgirl

497 Posts

cecelia
new york
USA
497 Posts

Posted - Aug 04 2004 :  08:15:58 AM  Show Profile
Lori, thanks for the information on cars, but I don't think my minivan will make it to 700,000 miles~that was a "7" wasn't it? We are having another flood watch from noon today, so I don't think I'll have to worry about the containers drying out - if anything, it's good I'm using them because my garden spot is wet sometimes.
I was thinking of getting those crystals that absorb water and release them, but I don't think I'll need those either. Another trick is to put an empty soda bottle in the container, upside down, with water in it and a small hole on top or the side, so it will slowly release the water.

Cecelia

ce's farm
Go to Top of Page

lonestargal
True Blue Farmgirl

607 Posts

Kristi
Texas
607 Posts

Posted - Jun 07 2005 :  09:07:05 AM  Show Profile
I use containers from www.earthbox.com . They are awesome. I have grown tomatoes, cucumbers, and basil so far.
Go to Top of Page

flowerkeeper
Farmgirl in Training

21 Posts

rhonda
beaumont texas
USA
21 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  6:07:48 PM  Show Profile
A few months ago I asked if any of you had experience with earthboxes, and alot of people were unfamiliar with them. I stepped out on a limb and purchased five of them, and, well, the results have been absolutely phenomenal! The five basil plants I planted in one are about three feet tall and HUGE--they cover and conceal the entire box. I have a bumper crop of red, green, and yellow bell peppers, I have harvest 130 cucmbers from two plants planted in one container, I have HUNDREDS of cherry tomatoes from two plants, and I pick 2-3 sweet and delicious canteloupes (from 2 plants) daily. The system has definitely made a believer of me, and I plan to replant in the containers as soon as it's time!

all that glitters is not gold, and all who wander aren't lost....
Go to Top of Page

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  6:17:49 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the feedback Flowerkeeper! My peppers have been struggling this summer. If a farmgirl recommends something then I am sold! I try to plant basil, to no avail. I will definitly look into these boxes for container gardening.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Container Gardening Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page