Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  03:11:42 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
First of all- thanks Meg for getting the news to the forums for me.

Tuesday night my doctor called me at work to ask how I was feeling. It turns out my liver tests in my blood work from the week before were sky high and had doubled since the last test. My doctor told me to go to our hospital for observation and more tests. She was concerned over the possibility of siezures or strokes!!

So within the hour I was at the hospital getting more blood drawn. They decided to keep me overnight to see what my morning liver functions looked like since my liver seemed to be improving. Tuesday night to Wednesday morning was pretty horrible because I got little to no sleep between nurse checks and blood pressure readings going off every hour.

Wednesday morning they were still observing me. The doctor asked how I felt about being induced and we talked over some options (including twice daily blood draws until Nora was born). In the middle of the morning they sent in a massage therapist and in the middle of my (wonderful) massage my water broke! Roughly at about 11 am.

We monitored my contractions all day but they were not growing more regular or any stronger. At 7pm we decided to induce stronger contractions with Oxytocin which is the same hormone our bodies naturally produce.

My contractions really started to kick in then. One bad thing with the Oxytocin is that there is no build up to the contractions, its like going from 0-60 in .005 seconds! I am not ashamed to say that between the exhaustion from the night before and the pain I broke down crying a couple of times. They were able to give me some medicine through my IV that helped me sleep between contractions and took the edge off with out hindering the contractions. Unfortunately, I was only effacing and not dilating. At 2 am Thursday they gave me the epidural (thank god!) even though I was only at 2.5 cm dilated.

After that I was able to get some sleep. At 4pm I was 6-7 centimeters and when they checked me at 9 I was ready to go and fully dilated. My doctor was not on call but Dr. Richards was. He was great and so was my wonderful finance, Doug as well as our nurse. I started pushing at 9:15 and Nora was born at 9:55am. We did use the vacuum to help her out because I couldn't get her to properly crown. I did get an episiotomy and did not have any tearing.

I was able to get up and walk around as soon as the epidural wore off. Nora is itty bitty but thriving. I feel wonderful if still exhausted. I am thrilled with our new daughter and can't wait to continue on this wonderful adventure.

Thank you all for your kind words and support. It means so much to me!

Alee

Beemoosie
True Blue Farmgirl

2077 Posts

Bonnie
New York
USA
2077 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  04:23:26 AM  Show Profile
I am so glad all is well Alee!! It's amazing what women go through giving birth, and once it's over you have this precious little bundle and it's worth it all!!
Blessings to you and yours!

My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior. Luke 1:46,47
www.beequilting.blogspot.com
http://beemoosie-picture-diary.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

ThymeForEweFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

705 Posts

Robin
An organic farm in the forest in Maine
USA
705 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  04:28:40 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations! There's nothing more incredible than motherhood.

Robin
www.outdoorwriter.wordpress.com
www.thymeforewe.com

Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  06:04:27 AM  Show Profile
Great story! I'm so thrilled to hear that Nora arrived and you all are doing so well. Take good care!!

Catherine :)

p.s. My sister-in-law was born very prematurely and everyone called her "Itty Bitty" when she was a baby. It carried over into a nickname for her into adulthood and her family STILL calls her "Bitty" even though she's caught up and is a "normal" sized adult! :)

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  12:45:44 PM  Show Profile
Thank you for sharing your birthing experience with us, Alee. I can see that you brought forth your baby with strength & courage. Congratulations! You did it! When you hold precious Nora in your arms, be proud of all that you've done.
Best wishes for the coming days, & good luck with breastfeeding. The first few weeks can be a challenge, so hang in there..... it will definitely be worth it.
Melanie
Go to Top of Page

laluna
True Blue Farmgirl

295 Posts

New York
USA
295 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  1:05:03 PM  Show Profile
I'm not a mom myself but am an aunt six times over, and I have great admiration for what so many of you go through to bring your little ones into the world. Congratulations and much peace, love (and sleep! ) to you and your new family Alee!
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  3:06:33 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations to you, Alee and Doug! and Blessings to baby Nora :) Welcome little one.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

Love-in-a-Mist
True Blue Farmgirl

367 Posts

Shannon
Independence Oregon
USA
367 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  08:03:29 AM  Show Profile
Congratulations! I'm so glad you are both healthy and doing well!

My stall cleaning helpers

http://shannon-love-in-a-mist.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

Sweet Harvest Homestead
True Blue Farmgirl

279 Posts

Lindy
Stanfield NC
USA
279 Posts

Posted - Mar 26 2007 :  6:28:40 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing your wonderful story Alee!
Congratulations!

www.sweetharvesthomestead.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  5:07:23 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations Alee!

I am so glad that everything turned out ok and the babe is thriving.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

daffodil dreamer
True Blue Farmgirl

805 Posts

Jayne
Hamilton Victoria
Australia
805 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  7:29:37 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Alee! I haven't been on for a while and was thinking that you would probably have a little babe in arms by the time I logged on again! I am so happy for you - and love the name!
Best wishes,
Jayne
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 03 2007 :  11:20:50 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thank you Jayne!

I just love her to death! She is so perfect and such a sweet girl. She is a great cuddler and my heart melts every time she falls asleep in my arms. She is still tiny but is gaining weight at an appropriate speed. She is just a little over her birth weight now at 5lbs 9 ounces but my doctor is extremely happy with that as some infants can lose weight for up to 2 weeks after birth.

It is so funny to dress her though since she is so tiny! Even some of the preemie clothes are a bith loose and the 0-3 month clothes are all loose. It is so much fun to try and find the perfect outfits for her each day though as we had been given tons of clothes!

I never could comprehend how true it is when people say that having kids changes everything until I had Nora. I feel changed for life and I am so happy that she is here and healthy! I couldn't be happier!

Alee
Go to Top of Page

mtngirl1
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Kimberly
Roseland Virginia
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  3:15:52 PM  Show Profile
Wonderful news!!!!! I am glad all is well with both of you. Sometime I will tell you about my birthing stories.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Apr 19 2007 :  3:33:37 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Thanks Kimberly-

Nora is sleeping in her brand new swing right now. I can't believe how much she has grown lately.

She is finally starting to fill out the smallest of her onesies! :) I will have to take more pictures soon!

Alee
Go to Top of Page
  Parenting & Farm Kids: Previous Topic Nora's Birth Story Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page