Next Page
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Did you name your farm?? Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  8:27:30 PM  Show Profile
Did you give your farm a name?? How did you come up with the name? I always liked the sound of Martha Stewart's "farm" called Turkey Hill. Do you have your farm's name on anything?? When I grew up farms were just called by the name of the family that started the farm or lived there the longest, such as, the Keller Place. Mollie

MeadowLark
True Blue Farmgirl

2206 Posts

USA
2206 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  8:38:38 PM  Show Profile
Hi Mollie, I have a vineyard and a farm. I named the vineyard MeadowRose. I had a metal sign made that is red with gold lettering, with the name MeadowRose Vineyard, and the street number. I came up with the name because wild pink roses were blooming on our land when we first moved here. The roses still grow here by the fence near the gravel road in front of our property and bloom in May, and are sweetly fragrant. "Rose" is also part of a family name, but spelled differently.

"Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I'll meet you there." Rumi, 13th century. http://www.xs4all.nl/~josvg/cits/sb/sb101.html
Go to Top of Page

shepherdess
True Blue Farmgirl

359 Posts

Robin
Eatonville Washington
USA
359 Posts

Posted - Jun 20 2005 :  10:57:18 PM  Show Profile
Yes I named my farm,MOUNTAIN MORNING FARM.I adore our beautiful Mt. Rainier and I have never been a morning person. So I came up with the idea if I named my farm Mountain Morning Farm and put morning with mountain maybe it would make me like morning better and you know what, I think it worked. LOL
And I think if I ever move I will be able to keep the same name, which will be nice

Farm Girl from Western Washington
" From sheep to handspun "
Go to Top of Page

Beckyanne
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Becky
Dove Creek Colorado
USA
17 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  06:32:41 AM  Show Profile
Ours is called Dancing Owl ranch. A large owl danced on my roof in the moon light one nite making so much noise that I went out to look. She had her wings up for balance and looked like she was holding up her skirts, the better to dance. I suspect she was chasing a mouse-but mabe she was dancing.

Love and hugs
Becky
Go to Top of Page

CoyoteFalls
Farmgirl at Heart

1 Posts

Lyric
Nacogdoches TX
USA
1 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  06:35:41 AM  Show Profile
Howdy Mollie! I just moved to the farm 3 years ago. Left Big D (Dallas) to pursue a country life. 30 acres given to us from part of the family land (owned for over 100 years) in Nacogdoches, TX. The oldest town in Texas. I named the farm "COYOTE FALLS FARM" We have three small falls and several packs of coyotes. Heard nightly calling to one another. We've spent 3 years clearing out the thickets and refurbishing a house. (no one has lived on this land in over 75 years. I will plant approx 5 acres of blueberries this coming fall.

Inspired by lovingly worn treasures.
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 21 2005 :  09:37:21 AM  Show Profile
When I was a little girl I decided that someday my farm would be called Green Dreams Farm. I don't know why I picked that except that Green has always been my favorite color, and a farm was my dream...but there it is.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

BamaSuzy
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Alabama
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  09:29:53 AM  Show Profile
We struggled and struggled with a name for our homestead and nothing seemed right (and I'm usually really good at coming up with names for businesses and stuff.) But we finally settled on Old Field Farm....Old Field Road runs beside our 15 acres and is not the road our address is in but since our farm is on the "old field" that the road was named for somehow it seemed fitting....

More than 60 years ago part of this farm was a cotton field...now we have goats, Angora bunnies, laying hens, and more.....so we advertise Fresh Eggs from Happy Chickens at Old Field Farm....

We really don't have a logo yet but use a small photo of one of my Angora rabbits on the rabbit stuff, one of my goats on the goat milk soap, and a bunch of the hens with the proud rooster on the chicken info....

You can bury a lot of troubles digging in the dirt!
Go to Top of Page

Erin Raincrow
True Blue Farmgirl

65 Posts

Julie Erin
New Mexico
65 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  11:30:31 AM  Show Profile
Ours is the Blue Moon Ranch because once in a while, the moon turns blue as in my tagline by Auden.

Just seemed that we'd been trying and trying and trying and everything kept falling apart but then this long shot came through and we had our farm/ranch.

We also have Blue Moon Oil and Gas Consultants, Inc and we have Blue Moon Studios.

Our house, when we get moved, will be called Carrickmines Manor. Kinda fancy for a mobile home but hey we can aspire :) Carrickmines is Gallic and means "Little Plain of Rocks" and it is fitting because the site for our house is basically just that, a plain of rocks.

But once in while the odd thing happens,
Once in a while the dream comes true,
And the whole pattern of life is altered,
Once in a while the moon turns blue.
Auden
Go to Top of Page

Nicol
True Blue Farmgirl

200 Posts

Nicol

200 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  12:27:34 PM  Show Profile
I love all of your farm names! I'll have to start thinking of a name for my farm-hopefully, soon to be acquired. We have been looking and looking. We'll find the right place yet!
Go to Top of Page

quiltedess
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Nancy
Priest River ID
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  1:42:21 PM  Show Profile
I love all the farm names too. It reminded me that my Grandpa, Uncle and Dad had named their farming business Prairievale Farms. Our brand was P(flying)V, the top of each side of the V flared outwards as if flying.
I think naming a farm is a neat idea. I'll have to think on that for a while.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

atwell
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

susan
Laporte IN
USA
88 Posts

Posted - Jun 22 2005 :  6:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Send atwell a Yahoo! Message
well heck yeah I had to name my farm when I bought it!!! My mom suggested "The Funny Farm" which I thought should be" The Not So Funny Farm" because of the major trials and tribulations that were involved in trying to secure the purchase of it. Lets just say Im dying here after what I went through. My first and only real estate purchase!! I decided on Fat Quarter Quilt Farm because I wanted to have a name that quilters (mostly) would know. Plus I love fabric and quilts and was hoping back in 2000 to eventually have some sort of a home based business involving quilting,fabric and farming of some sort!Im hoping to put up a farm-type sign next year...the kind with the interchangable seasonal items connected with hanging chains.
Im sure my neighbors will wonder what the heck Im up to NOW!!
Happy summer farmgirls!!!
susan

FatQuarterQuiltFarm
Long Arm Machine
Quilting ~and~
Fabric Flea Market
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 24 2005 :  9:01:55 PM  Show Profile
I also love the idea of naming farms, or naming houses for that matter, like in the times of Jane Austen...I've been thinking quite some time about what to name our home...nothing has come to me that strikes either my or my hubby's fancy yet...but I know I would like it to be something Cornish in nature (my husband's ancestry).

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

**When life throws scraps your way ~ Make a Quilt!**
Go to Top of Page

snowberryfarm
True Blue Farmgirl

132 Posts

Michelle
Central Wa WA
USA
132 Posts

Posted - Jun 25 2005 :  12:58:04 PM  Show Profile
Snowberry Farm here! I named it that shortly after we moved here, and it just fit well. I love snow, and I love berries, and we get a lot of both here. Then I found out there were some bushes being sold here called snowberry bushes, so I bought some,planted them around the barn, and they have little white berries on them, so now it really is snowberry farm!

Michelle
Go to Top of Page

TheSoapMaven
True Blue Farmgirl

691 Posts

Susan
LA
USA
691 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  04:57:46 AM  Show Profile  Send TheSoapMaven a Yahoo! Message
We live at Rose Cottage. We named our home the first day we lived here.

Blessings & Bliss!.· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´ -:¦:-~Susan~
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´*
Wife, Mother, Natural Woman, Savonnière, Writer, Baker, Gardener.
Soulmate to Jerry for 30 years
Mom to Zach, Gesikah, Nathan, Hannah, Rachel and Benjamin
Yetta to Sam

"It's no bad thing to celebrate a simple life" ~ Bilbo Baggins

If your knees aren't green by the end of the day, you need to seriously re-examine your life.
Go to Top of Page

angie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Angie

17 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  3:31:52 PM  Show Profile
Wow! I love reading all the farm names and their origins. We finally did it! We found our farm (house and 8 acres with pond and dog kennel) and we move in 2 weeks!! I haven't really decided on a farm name yet. Probably Five Stone Farms because I use that name for our homeschooling (Five Stone Academy). I chose it because of the bible verse that says at the judgment, we'll receive a stone with a new name on it and there are 5 in our family. I have already made a stamp with an emblem for Five Stone. We did some letter boxing one year during school and I made the stamp for that.

Thanks for such a great place to come and chat!!
Angie
Stones River Farm Girls (named for the middle TN area I'm in)
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 26 2005 :  9:48:27 PM  Show Profile
HI Angie,

We homeschool as well! Nice to have you here on the board!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." --Henry David Thoreau

Go to Top of Page

Angelia
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Angelia
Talladega AL
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jun 27 2005 :  11:58:48 AM  Show Profile
Oh, I love all your farm names!!! We have Shepherd's Hill Farm - because we raise Romney Sheep (among other things) and we live on a hill. So it didn't really take a lot of thought to name our place.
We use our farm logo on everything from letterhead to school papers (we homeschool).

I am looking forward to seeing more of your names and ideas.

Angelia, wife to Paul, mom to Haley, Sarah, Erin and Olivia
Titus 2:3-5
Go to Top of Page

connio
True Blue Farmgirl

535 Posts

connie
springtown texas
USA
535 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  5:16:28 PM  Show Profile
Hey Farm Girls My place is named Cozy Cottage Farm because I think the the cottage or home should be the heart of any homestead, farm or even suburban tract. I love my little cozy cottage and even though I still have LOTS of work to do to renovate it, I feel so happy when I arrive home each day!

Connie

cozycottage
Go to Top of Page

angie
Farmgirl in Training

17 Posts

Angie

17 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  5:57:02 PM  Show Profile
Thanks Molly! Do you incorporate your farming in with your schooling? I hope to do that when we move.

Yep! We finally bought the farm!!
Go to Top of Page

psouper
True Blue Farmgirl

50 Posts

50 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  04:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Your names are all wonderful! Angie, do you think that naming your place "Five Stones" might be a pretty good guarantee that you'll find yourself pregnant next month? That's what would happen to me.

Our place is called Mossback Meadow. I 've always hesitated to call it a "farm" but maybe I should get over that. We only have 6 acres, but we do have a barn, hogs, a dairy cow and a couple calves, oodles of turkeys and chickens and a big garden, plus a stay at home mom in an apron. I guess that's more farmy than many big commercial farms these days.

A Mossback is a very old fashioned, reactionary person. That pretty much describes me and hubby. Meadow, because it's flat and grassy and we mow only a small area - the rest is pasture or "prairie" that is mowed 2x/year.
Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  09:10:37 AM  Show Profile
Hi Angie, I don't have a farm YET :), but when I do have some land of my own I will definitely incorporate it into our schooling! Nothing better than learning practical life-skills!

Angelia, I just saw that you homeschool as well, how fun! Maybe I should start a topic here just about homeschooling

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

mollymae
True Blue Farmgirl

694 Posts

Molly
Visalia California
USA
694 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  09:16:56 AM  Show Profile
I just posted a new topic on homeschooling in the Family Matters folder!

Cead Mile Failte,
Molly

Go to Top of Page

Thistlewoodmanor
True Blue Farmgirl

51 Posts

Deb
Geneva IA
USA
51 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  2:41:38 PM  Show Profile  Send Thistlewoodmanor a Yahoo! Message
Our Farm is known as Thistlewood Manor. We do medieval reenactment, and want to turn our farm into a historical farm demonstrating the arts of the past. It used to be a Christmas tree farm, so that's where the wood part comes from, and my husband is scottish and loves thistles. From the right angle, and in the right light, our tall, old white farmhouse does look a bit like the manor house, overseeing the farm. You can check it all out at http://home.earthlink.net/~annavon431/ I am working on getting a sign made and developing our logo.

In my former life in a previous marriage, my farm was called Pigsfly Acres, because we thought we'd never own property until pigs flew. We found a huge metal pig on a stake and bought it to put out front. I was sorry when I had to give up that farm.....but my new one is better!
Go to Top of Page

realme52
True Blue Farmgirl

106 Posts

Klara
Gatesville Texas
USA
106 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  3:32:24 PM  Show Profile
We are still working on our logo, but we want to name our "little" farm (just 2 acres with a great organic garden, chickens, laying hens, ducks, soon to come rabbits and goats) ROCKROSE KNOLL FARM. We live on the side of a small hill (hence the knoll). My husband is my rock and I like to be his rose, that's how the name happened. Additionally, we both love roses and grow about 25 different ones, continually adding new finds. Oh, and just recently we planted two rockrose shrubs, one for each of us!
I thought your name stories were really neat, so much creativity and intuition!

from this hour i ordain myself loss'd of limits and imaginary lines -Walt Whitman
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Jul 04 2005 :  4:48:44 PM  Show Profile
When I lived on a farm it was named Bright Meadow, and the house I grew up in was known as "the Mill" but the farm in my dreams will be called Bridalwreath Farm and I can see the sign with a large wispy wreath of white frothy flowers held together with a loose ribbon woven throughout." Ah to sleep, perchance to dream...", we have to start somewhere!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

DeborahJean
Farmgirl in Training

36 Posts

Deborah
Spokane WA
USA
36 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  8:52:33 PM  Show Profile
We're planning to name our farm Assisi Rose. St Francis of Assisi flung himself into a rose bush to overcome temptation, and shortly after that the rose bush was devoid of all it's thorns. I've seen the thornless rose bushes at the basicila of St. Francis in Assisi and it's quite beautiful.

Deborah

Farmgirl wannabe
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Did you name your farm?? Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page