Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 Major remodel to your farm house???
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Major remodel to your farm house??? Next Topic  

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  8:38:50 PM  Show Profile
Anyone done a major remodel project on your farm house or plan to? I keep thinking about adding a second story on a one story house by adding a couple of dormers. Anyone want to add a laundry room? A dining room? A bigger kitchen or family room? Or a porch?? If you knew you were going to live in your house forever, how would you change it??? Mollie

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 28 2005 :  11:36:34 PM  Show Profile
The oldest part of our house is over 100 years old.That being said..it has had some changes over the years. The family that lived here since 1950 before we moved in 3 years ago raised 8 kids here..which I can't imagine..with 4 at home I feel like we are maxed out for space. We hope to add on a bigger front porch sometime..hopefully not too distant.
Lets see if I could change things (and money were not an object..which it IS) I would make the kitchen counters taller (they are sure short!) and do new carpet in most of the rooms that are carpeted and refinish the wood floor in the others. I would change the stairs back to the original way they were...hard to explain but it had to have been better. I hope we do live here forever..I love this old house, with all it's quirks and stuff.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  06:27:19 AM  Show Profile
How deep should a new front porch be?? 6 ft deep?? 8 ft deep? I am never sure about how deep it should be from the front door to the steps, some people have such a narrow space you can't get a couple of chairs on it. What do you want to use your front porch for? Would you put a table on it also? Has anyone ever screened their "front" porch? Mollie
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  10:15:00 AM  Show Profile
I have a couple chairs on mine right now..but is not nearly big enough..I think a new one would have to be at least 8 ft!! I want mine longer and room for a table too..at least..and lots of plants..I like herbs and flowers in pots on the front porch. I had a screened porch in Minnesota when we lived there years ago. It was neccessary there with the bugs, but I guess here I wouldn't. I would love to have willow furniture out there.... I could move stuff from inside..I want more though!! I just love porches..especially in the fall all decorated with pumpkins and leaves and corn stalks...I love to sit and read on the porch, visit and have a glass of lemonade and like that.

Jenny in Utah
The best things in life arn't things!
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  10:27:50 AM  Show Profile
Molly, I have a fairly deep porch that runs the length of my center hall, my living room and dining room. It looks like a front porch but it is on the back of the house and looks out on woods. It is about 10 feet deep and I wish it were deeper. I would love it so deep that there were parts that never got wet with rain, and that I could have lots of furniture on it, maybe even lamps. Right now I have a porch swing, a wicker rocker, a glass top bistro table, two wicker chairs, a wicker end table and a round end side table, plus a white iron plant bakers shelf for plants. That sounds like a lot, but I would love to have more room. So, make it as big and deep as you can and you will not regret it at all!

If I could have free feign for improvements to our house, I would put wood floors on the stairs and upstairs, install new counter tops in the kitchen, build a laundry room on the lower level (my laundry is on the second floor), perhaps gas in our fireplace (now we burn logs), put in a deep country farm kitchen sink instead of the double one, and re-inforce our roof trusses for hurricanes.

We have already, in the last two years, installed a new garage door, entirely re-sided the house with hardee board (we have a white farmhouse type home with three dormers), replaced one of the cooling units, repaired the roof and installed new bedroom carpet.

Now we are broke! And so much more to do! Oh well, I am so blessed to have this home, I love it more all the time, and we have been here 20 years.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

PJJ
True Blue Farmgirl

95 Posts

Paula
Bristow OK
USA
95 Posts

Posted - Jun 29 2005 :  10:02:01 PM  Show Profile  Send PJJ an AOL message
I love it, too! Can I come live with you? :)

Paula J.

quote:
Originally posted by jpbluesky

Molly, I have a fairly deep porch that runs the length of my center hall, my living room and dining room. It looks like a front porch but it is on the back of the house and looks out on woods. It is about 10 feet deep and I wish it were deeper. I would love it so deep that there were parts that never got wet with rain, and that I could have lots of furniture on it, maybe even lamps. Right now I have a porch swing, a wicker rocker, a glass top bistro table, two wicker chairs, a wicker end table and a round end side table, plus a white iron plant bakers shelf for plants. That sounds like a lot, but I would love to have more room. So, make it as big and deep as you can and you will not regret it at all!

If I could have free feign for improvements to our house, I would put wood floors on the stairs and upstairs, install new counter tops in the kitchen, build a laundry room on the lower level (my laundry is on the second floor), perhaps gas in our fireplace (now we burn logs), put in a deep country farm kitchen sink instead of the double one, and re-inforce our roof trusses for hurricanes.

We have already, in the last two years, installed a new garage door, entirely re-sided the house with hardee board (we have a white farmhouse type home with three dormers), replaced one of the cooling units, repaired the roof and installed new bedroom carpet.

Now we are broke! And so much more to do! Oh well, I am so blessed to have this home, I love it more all the time, and we have been here 20 years.

jpbluesky

Heartland girl

Paula J., with Ty, Cara, Brody, Blue, and Fidget
Go to Top of Page

pegC
Farmgirl in Training

16 Posts

Peggi
New Jersey
USA
16 Posts

Posted - Jun 30 2005 :  06:41:05 AM  Show Profile
Has it taken anyone else 2 years to paint a room? :) I have two small kids home with me, and as much as they would love to help I suspect they might not give the help I need, so I paint when they are asleep and I am not cleaning or cooking or canning or weeding or...

I love this life.

Peg

Jersey Farm Girl in Training
Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  12:25:36 AM  Show Profile
PORCH: we bought this house partly because it has a large porch where we can play music with our friends. It is 8 feet deep and 24 feet wide. When company is over, 10 feet deep would make it easier to move around the chairs and not get stuck in one chair all night. For everyday, 8 feet deep is great.

KITCHEN: I removed a small wall and expanded the kitchen from 11 x 10, the smallest room in the house, to 11 x 16. We have trained all the kids to cook, and my husband cooks too; well, with everyone helping, we needed space to work!!!

CABINETS WITH DRAWERS: I put in lower cabinets with 3-4 drawers in each, so the kids can reach everything to cook independently wihtou asking me to get things down for them. Now they can cook or bake, set the table or put away the cleaned dishes easily. This large, easy to clean kitchen is heavenly! Now we can wash the canning pots instead of piling them (dirty) on the floor or in front of the door because that was the only empty space we used to have for setting things down.

Lots of drawers are usually expensive, but I revamped the Mills Pride Cabinets from Home Depot. You put them together yourself, so they are really cheap for the nice quality and big drawer size you get. There is a way to remeasure the base or 3-drawer base cabinets, drill a few holes and order a few parts and turn them into 4 drawer cabinets. We have a drawer for glasses, for plates, for herbs and spices standing upright with labeled lids, bowls only, silverware, utensils, a deep drawer for bottoms of plastic storage boxes, a narrow drawer for the lids only; drawer for baking supplies, one for potatoes and onions, phone books with pens (off the counter now), and my own PRIVATE mom's drawer! It's all so easy to use and clean, especially by people shorter than 6 feet tall who are the only ones that can easily reach into a top cabinet!

Find local raw milk on www.localharvest.com. "If you complain about farmers, don't do it with your mouth full."
Go to Top of Page

JoyIowa
True Blue Farmgirl

273 Posts

Joy

273 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  8:50:23 PM  Show Profile
Peg,
I started laughing so hard when I read your post. You'll be happy to know you have a farmgirl sister in 2 years to paint a room! We started our living room to give it a homey feel exactly 2 years ago tomorrow. One wall is completely done. The others have a bit of paint on them. The east wall is perhaps the funniest: It has the words "Home of Squeeze Bottle Design" written in the color of paint that is supposed to be the entire wall. We saw this phrase on HGTV (when we still had it) The gentleman who was talking about it made the point that some people make sandwiches by getting out the mustard, getting out a plate, getting out the knife, carefully spreading the mustard in an even layer way out to the edges without slopping over, etc. Then there are those of us who grab a couple of pieces of bread and lay them on the counter, grab the mustard out of fridge and squeeze it out around the general direction of the bread. After you put the tops on, can you really tell the difference? Other than the extra dishes in the sink...no!
I had to write. Have a great day!
Joy

To live without farm life is merely existing, to live with farm life is living life to it very last experience.
Go to Top of Page

citygoatlady
True Blue Farmgirl

82 Posts

82 Posts

Posted - Jul 05 2005 :  8:56:21 PM  Show Profile
Peg,
Don't worry about getting house repair done when your kids are little. I found I only could accomplish that once the youngest was 5.
Just be involved with them, and as they grow they will join in with you more. By age 11 or so, they can do some very substantial helping; 14 is even better.

I did set up my farm when the kids were babies, but that was extremely difficult.
Go to Top of Page

lurban
True Blue Farmgirl

61 Posts

Vermont
61 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  04:24:33 AM  Show Profile
The house we're thinking of buying will need a few major improvements right away -- most importantly, turning a dark hole into a working kitchen. To do it, we'll have to knock down a wall. This is a 150 year old house and, although we'll have pros do the demo and rearranging the gas line, I'm a little concerned about lead paint dust in the air -- I've got two kids under four. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Mollie
True Blue Farmgirl

88 Posts

88 Posts

Posted - Jul 06 2005 :  08:15:45 AM  Show Profile
If I were pregnant, had a new baby, or a toddler, I'd want the lead paint GONE. This is not just a "women and children" problem, lead also is a concern with gamete production in males. You can have a professional "wet-strip" it and repaint the clean surface, but it isn't cheap. There are 2 products called "ReadyStrip" and "Peel-away" for do it yourselfers, but you got to be careful. I would recommend using a respirator while working with the paint, 3 M makes a good one. If you want the lead abated, I would hire a pro. I would stay away from strippers such as Kleen Strip KS3 as it has a significant quantity of methylene chloride. Here is my two cents worth, do not dry sand, scrape, or use power sanders, inside or out EVER with lead paint! Always wet the surface with a water and detergent mixture to minimize dust and don't use torches or high temp heat guns. You can seal off the other rooms with plastic and tape while working on the lead. I am not sure about how I feel about painting over lead paint and would be concerned it would eventually chip off, talk with pros about that. I would have a baseline lead test done BEFORE you start working on it. They CAN do a fingerprick to test for lead, they don't need to extract a whole tube of blood from your kids, ask the doctor BEFORE you make the appointment that you want the fingerprick test. Don't write me off as "hysteria" over lead as I'm an old science teacher and feel strongly about this subject. I'm sure my grown children have elevated lead levels from the daycare they went to as toddlers, left over lead from leaded gasoline, deteriorating paint on other buildings, and neighboring property owners scraping paint and letting it fly around. Remember "small" pieces of lead-based paint do matter. Mollie
Go to Top of Page

poppysmom
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kele
Iowa
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  05:09:48 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone found any treasures in their houses while remodeling? Our house was put up here around 1845 and for how many people have lived here, we havent found much! The only thing we have found is a little piece of brown paper used to wrap a package with that has the postmark from 1917. That owner put in a new wood floor at the time and used that paper to lay over the old floor. We were laying a new bamboo floor and you should have seen the condition of the "new" floor he layed! A truly used farmhouse. The doorway floors were worn down to almost nothing with some holes even. Some other owner later on patched it with plywood and layed carpet on top! Our poor child had to learn to walk at a 45 degree angle in some spots!!

It is very interesting to me to hear that so many of you want taller countertops. I am a kitchen designer and I dont hear this request very often. Are you all tall or just feel like you are leaning over your counters too far?

no day but today
Go to Top of Page

jpbluesky
True Blue Farmgirl

6066 Posts

Jeannie
Florida
USA
6066 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  05:46:31 AM  Show Profile
We found treasures in our back yard! Our house was built in 1985, and apparently there was a farm here from antebelllum days through the 30's. The land was once a plantation. We found high button shoes, a china doll's face, lots of bottles (because we think they had a cane syrup making area), old iron skillets, part of a bicycle, a horseshoe, etc. We thought we had found the base of an old well (antique brick in a circle), but an historian told us it was probably a cane cooker where mules walked in a circle around a hugh boiler to stir the syrup. All of it was found in two areas of our yard when we cleared out the understory. We still find things after a hard rain. What treasures!

jpbluesky

Heartland girl
Go to Top of Page

poppysmom
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kele
Iowa
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 08 2005 :  7:37:17 PM  Show Profile
Thats cool. Every time we till the garden, we find more metal items, like if the tractor died in its tracks, they buried it there. Very strange. I wonder what the history is of people and their "dump sites" as there was probably no city dump in the late 1800's. Or maybe our land was the old city dump... ha ha.

no day but today
Go to Top of Page

poppysmom
Farmgirl at Heart

8 Posts

Kele
Iowa
USA
8 Posts

Posted - Jul 10 2005 :  05:49:23 AM  Show Profile
Good point! I do a lot of trophy kitchens, but I always design them as if I would work in them. Most of our clientele are suburban homes and just remodeling for curb appeal. Also, to modify the height of a cabinet at the plant is an expensive modification, but an installer could just put a small platform under the cabinets on site. If you werent purchasing new cabinets, one could have an installer put a 1 to 2 inch filler strip along the tops of the cabinets in a matching wood or painted to match existing cabinets before installing a countertop. In my own kitchen we mixed new cabinetry with the existing and so had to modify the height of the old. We added the filler strip and painted the old cabinets. In this shifty old house it has held up pretty well. It would probably work out well if one were looking for a "country" look as you can see a seam whether painted or with wood as the wood grain of the filler strip will run perpindicular to the wood grain of the cabinet face.

no day but today
Go to Top of Page

LJRphoto
True Blue Farmgirl

760 Posts

Laura
Hickory Corners MI
USA
760 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  11:55:35 AM  Show Profile
I have noticed that in some older houses the counters are actually a little lower than is standard today. I sometimes wonder if people used to be shorter, I think I may have even read something about how, in general, Americans are bigger people than they used to be.

Our house is a two bedroom ranch being passed off as a three bedroom. Someday, I want to move the kitchen, dining room, living room/family room to the walkout basement and put in a third bedroom upstairs as well as a real laundry room. Our washer and dryer are in the upstairs bathroom and it really isn't big enough for that. I can't open the dryer all the way because the toilet is in the way! But, it has been a long time dream to have the laundry room on the same level as the bedrooms. At our old house I'd have to walk up two flights of stairs to put the laundry away and I just find that I am better about it when it doesn't involve so much up and down the stairs stuff. I'd also like to put a nice patio on the back with a wisteria covered pergola where we could take some of our meals and enjoy looking out over new property.

citygoatlady, I love the sound of your kitchen. I wish I could see pictures of it.

"Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect." -Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 28 2005 :  7:34:56 PM  Show Profile
Isn't it fun to disover the past in our backyards?
Our place is over one hundred years old and noone around can remember it not being here, or rather hearing of it being built. Actually the original house was one of the first in the area, and then in world war I, the folks that lived here had a fire. The house burned for days, as the basement was used to store honey. Supplies for building were scarce and the people found an old hotel that was to be torn down in a nearby town. So they took the hotel apart piece by piece and brought it back here and put it back together on the old house foundation. That explains the numbers on the doors of our bedrooms and bathroom. The funny thing to me is that the doorways are so narrow, and the stairway is quite narrow to the second foor. We have to duck to come downstairs also. Something you get used to, but the history is quite interesting, and since I like to recycle everything that I can, it is poetic that i live in a recycled house!
It was used as a rental for years and suffered abuse,and two more small fires, so when we did get it, it was condemned. We have been working on one situation at a time in order of priority. Bathroom was first, as we had none to speak of when we moved here. Then kitchen, and our family of five slept in the dining room for a winter. Then a bedroom, so we could work on the dining room, and so it went until we all had prospective bedrooms, and it is still not done. But is a house that is being remodeled ever completely done?
We don't like to create debt unless we absolutely have to, so we have done things the hard and slow way. My husband saw a huge ash tree that was dying, so he cut it down and had it sawn and planed by our amish neighbors. Two years later it was dry enough to use as flooring for our kitchen and dining room. Now THAT is slow!!Five years later, I am still waiting for a living room floor; the current one is an inch lower than the surrounding floors and visitors always trip.
But it is fun to do it all ourselves in due time and we feel so good when a project is finished. I think the best thing that has happened to encourage us is when an elderly lady stopped by during her vacation from Detroit and told us she was born here and thanked us for breathing new life into the place. She wanted a start from an old lilac bush that her dad had planted, and it had survived the fires and the abuse this place has endured. What a joy to grab a shovel and dig a shoot, like coming full circle! Good luck with all of your projects, I would love to come and visit each one and see what you are up to, it is so interesting to find what dreams are being fulfilled and becoming reality. Jenny
Go to Top of Page

greyghost
True Blue Farmgirl

650 Posts

Lynn
Summerville Georgia
USA
650 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  04:14:35 AM  Show Profile  Click to see greyghost's MSN Messenger address
WOW Jenny! Your house sounds neat (and like a project - I don't feel so alone right now in our remodel woes). I think you need a website dedicated to the house - the before and afters and the history is so interesting!
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  04:40:21 AM  Show Profile
Our house was built in 1820 and we have been fixing things for the 2 1/2 years we have lived here. We will never really be done and we are very careful to not really change the integrity of the home. We feel with a house this old, that we are only short term caretakers but we do have to make sure the house lasts for another 200 years. This is how we make all of our remodel projects decisions. So, my husband built the kitchen cabinets. He likes working with wood but had never built a cabinet before. It is not easy but it is very do-able for the average person, do not be afraid! You can also retrofit other furniture for kitchen use and just put in shelves for cabinets. I hate!!! spending money on things I can figure out by myself. All of my dishes sit on a large plate rack on the wall. My husband made this in an hour. I just realized how lucky I am, I always feel like we should be doning more.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

Mari-dahlia
True Blue Farmgirl

269 Posts

Marianne
Hoosick Falls New York
USA
269 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  04:50:46 AM  Show Profile
I forgot about the lead paint. I had a long conversation with a women from HUD in NY state. Not all old houses have lead paint, so get it tested first. You can pickup test kits in Home Depot etc. Most of the danger in lead paint is from the dust which falls on kids toys etc. Kids toys in an old house should be washed regularly. Unless your lead paint is chipping, or you're afraid your kids would actually chew the moldings, you can paint over it. The State cannot,but it costs thousands to properly remove lead paint. Use a good primer first.
Marianne
Go to Top of Page

jenny louise
True Blue Farmgirl

166 Posts

jennifer
cass city MI
USA
166 Posts

Posted - Aug 29 2005 :  5:33:57 PM  Show Profile
Lynn, I also thought it would be fun to have before's and after's, but i am terrible with taking pictures and especially web stuff. The older woman that i mentioned did send a wonderful snapshot of the house with her mother standing outside near a sapling which is now and old maple that shades the front of the house! I guess that is something that connects so many of us here; the appreciation of old things, ways and houses. Kudos to all of you that have found and loved old abodes, and are breathing new life into them, especially when it would be so much easer to raze them and build new.
Jenny
Go to Top of Page

hapyhrt
True Blue Farmgirl

129 Posts

USA
129 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  02:12:59 AM  Show Profile
I so enjoy reading about others remodeling hopes and goals,as well as the love of living in an older home! How wonderful to own a home with history and whispers of the past held within it's walls.

If money wasn't an issue (as it always seems to be), I'd have a pretty little covered front porch and a bigger enclosed sitting porch on the side of the house off the kitchen, there I'd have old comfortable chairs with patchwork pillows, a porch swing with an old quilt draped along it's back, geraniums in window boxes, herbs and plants in old baskets, vintage knickknacks such as electrified kerosene lamps, an array of country crafts and grapevine, and a table or two to set drinks upon. Lastly, I'd love to have a colorful floorcloth or rag rug to set under the chairs to enhance a cozy, comfort atmosphere. I've dreamed of this porch for many years and still hope someday that it can become a reality. Then I'd move inside and make the kitchen much wider than the original 12' across, add hardwood floors, a large bay or bow window in the living room, add on an addition for one more bedroom and a laundry room (ours is in the basement) with room for an indoor clothesline and easy access to an outdoor line too. Dare to dream, eh! Oh well, isn't that what life is all about? Hopes and dreams along with determination and an attitude of "where there's a will there's a way!" Yep, that's what this country was built on, good ol' fashioned pioneer spirit. Thank goodness that spirit is still alive within our country loving hearts! ;)

"Think happy thoughts...any others aren't worth your time!" Ü
Go to Top of Page

newlywood
True Blue Farmgirl

59 Posts

59 Posts

Posted - Aug 30 2005 :  06:42:06 AM  Show Profile
My husband and I own a wonderful old farm house that is in such a state of disrepair, it probably isn't safe. However, I wish that we could renovate it. They just don't make farmhouses like they used to around here. All around us are little ranch-style homes that just lack all of the character of the farmhouses from to past. We actually live in one of the ranch-style on another piece of property. Sigh... if only we had a few hundred thousand laying around... (well, maybe not QUITE that much....but close) :) Right now, the cows get to use the porches for a rain shelter.

Erika in Nebraska
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic Major remodel to your farm house??? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page