Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Here's to Your Health
 My Natural Childbirth Experience
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic My Natural Childbirth Experience Next Topic
Page: of 4

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  08:59:45 AM  Show Profile
I have had 4 babies natural, no drugs. If anyone is interested in my experience and would like to ask me questions, feel free.

My first child was 8lbs 6oz. I was dilated to 7cm when I arrived at the hospital. During birth I did breathing exercises. When he came down the birth canal the pressure on my tailbone was beyond unbearable. I hyperventilated and had to have oxygen. Then the ob/gyn gave me an episiotomy (my son's heartrate had come down) and out he popped. He of course gave me numbing for my episiotomy. My labor was about 5 hrs. I had an iv, but it slipped out.

My next child was 9lbs. Breathing was not helpful. However, I didn't hurt on my tailbone. I delivered at a midwifery. The midwife did an excellent job applying hot washcloths and stretching me. I barely barely tore. Had to have a few stiches. My daughter was born in about 6 hours. I had no iv during birth with her and that was so very very wonderful.

My next child was 9lbs 2oz. I was 8 days over my due date and I had the midwife to induce me. It took about 14 hours and I had a terrible headache. I tried the birthing ball during labor. What really helped was turning over on my knees. I just kind of lost all inhibitions. Then she used hot washcloths on me and I didn't have ANY tearing.

My fourth child was 10 lbs 7oz. I was 5 days late and I was induced. I was trying to hurry this time as I didn't want a repeat of the 14 hours. So, I asked for a mild pain reliever. I got a shot of nubain. I dilated quickly after that and after about 2 hours I started to push. Again I got on my hands and knees. Then, he was turned a bit funny, the birth team came in and shoved on me to get him to turn. That hurt really bad. I didn't tear at all, I don't remember if I had hot washcloths or not. I was so very very swollen with him. As you can imagine he was so large I think my organs had just stopped functioning.

With all of my children my bag of waters had to be ruptured.

Each time that I gave birth there was a time of complete endorphines. Like a runner's high. I loved feeling them come through the birth canal and turning. I loved the easy recovery afterward.

Anyway, I'm willing to impart any knowledge to anyone who would like to ask any questions about going natural.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.

Edited by - _Rebecca_ on Mar 21 2007 12:29:48 PM

Nancy Gartenman
True Blue Farmgirl

9093 Posts

Nancy
West Seneca New York
USA
9093 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  09:38:25 AM  Show Profile
I need to lay down now.
NANCY JO

www.Nancy-Jo.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  12:28:11 PM  Show Profile
ROFLOL!! You crack me up Nancy Jo!!!

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  2:32:05 PM  Show Profile
Can I share mine?

Okay I will...

First baby was born VERY traumatically in the hospital (I ahve the stories on my blog in detail). She was born in only 5 hours of labor, but I am convinced if other fators had not been in place she would have been born sooner, read further as to why I feel that....Grace was 7#4 oz. and I did not tear or need cutting...

Zoe was born at home, unassisted in only two hours of labor. I pushed for 2 minutes, if that and out she came. Again, no tearing. She was 8#. the next babe will also be born at home unassisted.

Again, the complete stories on on my blog back in the Novemebr file.

I am a student midwife and a doula and birth and pregnancy is a SERIOUS pasison of mine, especially making sure that women know their bodies are not broken just because they are pregnant.

I do non profit work with the group Trust Birth and Take Birth Back because this is such a serious passion. WOmen strive for equality in all areas, but it seems to me that medical care and being told the truth about their bodies, women are not treated equally.

Thanks Rebecca for sharing! I love hearing about other women's births! It is so exciting to me!

We are planning our next baby seriously now. We plan to start the efforts to make another this time next year, so I am in baby mode now more than usual ;) I have a friend who is making me an amulet to wear over the course of the year to help my mind and body get in tuned with making a new person....I love it! I love pregnancy and birth and nursing I love it all!

okay I better stop before I start ot scare people.... ha ha ha!

~*~Brightest Blessings~*~
Tasha-Rose

Blogs: http://gaiarose.wordpress.com
http://tasharose365.wordpress.com/
Homepage:
http://gaiasrose.etsy.com
http://ForestFaeries.etsy.com
Birth is safe, interference is risky; TRUST BIRTH
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:57:29 AM  Show Profile
Love this thread!...I also wanted to add, I delivered my oldest boys (twins) without meds. I had to be in the OR with a gazillion drs. and nurses around, but my midwife delivered me and all was well. Even if you are considered "high risk" it can be done. Now, Im sure not all high risk pgs. would be able to do this, but the point is...if you feel this is the way you want your birth experience to go...do not give up! It might work if you find the right people to support you in your choices.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:08:23 AM  Show Profile
There is a great video that can be found (for sale) over at earthbirth.com called Psalm and Zoya the Unassisted Birth of Our Twins. I have a copy of it for my Trust Birth work and it is amazing! The second of the babies is born footling breech! she did it all unassisted....

Tasha-Rose

Homepage:
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  12:01:10 PM  Show Profile
These are all inspiring stories of birth! Thanks for sharing, everyone.

I had a midwife and was planning to go the natural route (in a hospital) when Jackson was born, but ended up with an emergency C-section after five hours of labor due to the cord being wrapped around his neck. The kid was in trauma and - seriously, this still makes me shudder - would not have made it had I continued in labor and attempted a vaginal delivery. His heartrate decelerations were too extreme - his oxygen was literally being cut off with each contraction.

So my question is this: What happens in this case with a home birth? Are you rushed to the hospital?

In my case, I don't know if there would have been enough time. My contractions were getting so close together so his heartrate was becoming a major issue. I was under the knife within 30 minutes of our consultation with the doctor and then he still had 20 minutes of intensive care to help him breathe. As sad as I was to not have my baby in the room with me right after birth, it was imperative that he stay in the NICU for the first day and half to be monitored and get antibiotics (he also swallowed his meconium). (Breastfeeding and bonding were not negatively affected as I was there with him as much as I could be. He latched on like a pro and we've never had a problem there.)

I know that there are lots of ways to help a woman through a difficult labor naturally and am truly amazed by it all - this is why we went with a midwife in the first place. I have nothing but respect for these ways and I look forward to going down this road again, though I guess I'll be called a "VBAC" mom the second time around.

But MY BABY WOULD HAVE DIED had I not been in a hospital and had emergency surgery for his birth. How could this have played out any differently (and of course, with a positive result) if I had opted to not have the C-section right then and there and continued to labor (in a hospital or at home)?

Given my experience, there is no way that I would ever attempt to give birth at home in the future. I've seen how scary it can get and HOW FAST it gets that scary. I will definitely go with a midwife again and will strive to have that second baby naturally, but I will not take the risk of not being near whatever medical expertise is required to save my baby's life.

Great thread. We're also starting to think about the timing of baby number two, so my mind is still baby-baby-baby too!

Catherine

http://yogurtandgranola.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Carolinagirl
True Blue Farmgirl

486 Posts

Kim
Rutherfordton NC
USA
486 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  1:17:57 PM  Show Profile
First daughter- hospital, epidural all the way. No problems, no continuing medical issues. Would recommend it to anyone. I was terrified of the pain, of the unknown of birthing a child, so this way was easiest for me.

Second daughter- I planned the same scenario as the first daughter. We lived 30 miles from the hospital. She was due in winter. Icy weather kind of winter. From my first labor pain to the baby popping out was less than 2 hours. We left the house 30 minutes after I realized there would be no "wait until the contractions are five minutes apart." We drove the 30 miles/30 minutes tailing a transfer truck so that we could be clear of the icy rain that we anticipated. We arrived and 12 minutes later she was born- no epidural (I tried to get one! but the nurse laughed). Within 30 minutes I was in the recovery room. I had several stitches for small tearing- but no pain medication for those since I was still pretty hyped up and not feeling anything. When I told my doc I was jones-ing for a soda (had been since the labor started), he brought me one from the machines and then he did his sewing. He was kind, considerate and the best thing I could have asked for. Even as they wheeled me into recovery I couldn't believe I'd had the baby without the epidural or delivery assistance.

Knowing that I made it through that part okay ( and it became a known rather than an unknown), I would try it again if we have more children.

Kim in NC
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  2:33:19 PM  Show Profile
Catherine ~ I appreciate what you are saying. I had all mine in the hospital and as neat as I think home birthing is, it scares me. On another site I'm on, they have had a couple of babies die being homebirthed. One had the cord wrapped around his neck and the other was too big and got stuck in her mama. They did rush her to the hospital, but it was too late. I don't know if I could live with myself if something like that happened that I could have prevented. With each birth being so different, how do you know if it is safe to birth at home? Do you homebirthers ever get scared of something happening?
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  2:46:38 PM  Show Profile
What Catherine is bringing up is exactly why I went with my midwife at the hospital sans pain meds. It was a perfect scenario for us. My mother had difficult births with both my brother and I and she suggested it. Im glad she did. A home birth would not have been for us either. I do not hold it against anyone for having an epidural at all. But for me it was an amazing experience feeling my body at work and has made me stonger in any decisions I have made sense. Our bodies as women are amazing and I love knowing that even more than before.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  2:52:48 PM  Show Profile
I dont get scared because I do not believe that anything bad will happen. that is just how I live my life and it has weorked gloriously thus far...as for statistics, a simple google search will show you that home birth-for HEALTHY WOMEN-is by far safer than hospital birth. The rate of infant mortality in home birth is drastically less than hospital birth. A lot of people are not told that the "interventions" used in a hospital actually contribute to putting a baby in an emergency state, ie, pitocin for an induction (which funny enough can actually stop labor altogether) epidural, internal fetal monitoring, etc. There are direct links that show that these things put a baby in distress and then there is "cause" for a c-section. The majority of sections are avoidable, sans the transverse lying babe or the babe with a cord around his/her neck (which, does happen in homebirth but often is noticed when babes head has popped out and s/he is untangled.)

I have links and stats and such, but only one hand at the moment...I'll be on later as I have some homework to do, so I can post links and such then....

Tasha-Rose

Homepage:
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  6:55:34 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for the stats, Tasha. It's good to hear things like that about home birth - though it won't change my mind - because I have heard too many of the other stats. I asked my cousin's fiance, who is a home birth midwife, the same questions I asked here and she replied "well, sometimes we lose some." That is NOT good enough in my opinion.

For the record - and I know that I'm the only one who cares that this is stated! - I was the picture of health throughout my pregnancy. I was NOT induced but rather was one week late and fought being induced by the one doctor I had to see to during that last week since my midwife was sick that day. I had no other interventions at the hospital, other than the nurse coming in to flip the light on too many times (laboring at night) and I wore the belt to keep track of Jackson's heartrate. Jackson's cord was around his neck way before I went into labor, it was just the contractions that made it too tight for him. He was down in the birth canal, so there wasn't a lot of room left for him anyway!

Meconium was another huge risk factor for Jackson which was discovered when my water was broken. Breaking the water instead of letting it go on its own was an intervention, but if it hadn't happened that way, we wouldn't have known about the meconium which he had already ingested.

Cord around neck + meconium in belly + healthy mom/pregnancy + no interventions = C-section for this C girl.

I'm sorry it had to happen that way and it took me many months to get over the fact that I DIDN'T end up giving birth naturally, but I've long since come to terms with it and am gloriously happy that I had such wise and quick-acting midwives and doctors to support me and to keep the best interests of my beautiful boy in mind at all times.

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

Persephone
True Blue Farmgirl

172 Posts

Katrina
Indiana
USA
172 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  7:54:52 PM  Show Profile
Homebirth doesn't scare me- I've read enough that I'm convinced that for healthy women, homebirth IS safer- not trying to convince Catherine, because her mind is made up- that's fine, it's everyone's choice to make- but my experience is that better births are had without many interventions, and that's much easier to achieve at home.

To add- a cord around the neck is not inherently dangerous, as most cords are long enough that the babies are just born that way, and you unloop them when they're born. My dd was born with her cord around her body- at least that's what dh told me, I didn't see my baby be born- that makes me sad. And they cut her cord right away because there was meconium in the water- which also frustrates me, because meconium is found in about 30% (I think my stats are right) of term births (I was induced on my due date for high blood pressure)Sometimes babies poop before they're born. *shrug* Meconium by itself is not indicative of fetal stress, and even swallowing it is not dangerous, as it's completely sterile. (Babies guts are sterile til they're born- then they're colonized with the breath of people around them, the germs from their envoironment, and their mother's colostrum). It's only in aspiration of meconium that there's a danger, and I can't recall, but I believe that only happens is there's fetal distress as well- I"ll have to pull out my article folder again.

Anyway Catherine, I'm not saying that to try to change your convictions of your birth, since you know way more about your birth than I do. I just wanted to throw those out there, since those are two very common things to happen, and they don't always mean death for the baby. In fact, they rarely do.

My own birth was, unfortunately, not natural. I have a hard time talking about it though, so that's all I'll say on the subject.
Go to Top of Page

lilpunkin
True Blue Farmgirl

368 Posts

Texas
USA
368 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  9:08:13 PM  Show Profile
Not saying anyone here is making anyone feel this way at all, but sometimes in our general society, women who do not give birth at home or who give birth in hospitals (c-section or natural)are made to feel like they are lesser of a women or mother. I think no matter how a child is born that it is a blessing. I think you can get great care either way you choose to have our babies. I know for me I have always been in great health. But had I chosen to have my baby at home, either me,him or both of us would not be alive. He ended up being over 9 pounds and had never dropped into the birth canal because of his size. I would have never been able to deliver him. Now for my second, I had planned on doing it natural in a hospital, but it didnt work out that way and I had another c-section. Does it make me any lesser of a mother, not in the least. In my opinion, I don't think its how you give birth to your babies that makes you a good mom.

Life isn't measured by how many breaths you take, but by how many moments take your breath away.
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  9:16:11 PM  Show Profile
I have a little problem with the word "natural". I think any birth however it happens is natural. Birth in itself can never be natural because no matter what the doctos or midwives do, the body does what it is meant to do. If Catherine had been at home, she probably would have been one of those :well we loose some: statistics. I prefer the medicated/unmedicated term. Dont mean to beat a dead horse at all. Just a thought.

Catherine, I hope you get a more calm and relaxed birth experience with your next one. (((hugs friend)))

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  9:57:43 PM  Show Profile
I have had three babies of my own and was labor/delivery coach for two girlfriends. I have seen babies that practically delivered themselves and one that was a very, very close call. I am not writing here to convince anyone of anything...it's a very personal choice.

In a perfect world we would all deliver romantically in our own beds with our families nearby, illuminated by candlelight. It's not a perfect world. I only ask one question...IF you should choose a homebirth and - God forbid - a tragedy happens, what kind of guilt will you live with if the outcome would have been different had you chose to have your baby in a hospital setting?

No statistics will ever support homebirths being safer than hospital births.

Diane
Go to Top of Page

Lizabeth
True Blue Farmgirl

560 Posts

Washington
560 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:02:59 PM  Show Profile

I have read this thread as it has developed and was getting sadder and sadder thinking about my own birth experience with our son just over a year ago. I had done everything right... exercising, taking herbs, practicing hypnobirth relaxtion techniques with our doula. After a week of practice labour, my water breaking and 4 hours intense labouring at home we went to the hospital and I presented at 9.5cm! for a first baby! I was so excited and everyone including our doctor thought that within 2 or 3 hours we'd have our baby. But even though he had been in perfect position all along (spine front and to my left) he decided to turn his back against my back and tuck his chin to his chest (presenting the largest part of his head downwards). I laboured, without any medications whatsoever, for 10 hours. That was the most intense work I have ever done. God bless my husband and doula for supporting me. My husband continually reminded the staff we wanted no interventions (especially when the nurse was getting ready to initiate internal fetal monitoring). At 10 hours the doctor determined that though we'd tried turning the baby, though we'd tried various birthing positions, and aids (ball, stool, water) my son was still at plus one stage--he hadn't hardly descended at all! I was exhausted and he was stuck. I was told we had to consider a c-section. I sobbed because I felt I had failed. I had tried so hard.
During the c-section they found not only was he in a difficult position, he was held up by the cord.
I still am haunted by what ifs. what if I had tried harder? what if I had continued to labour, past the point of exhaustion?
I cannot hold on to the what ifs. I have to look at my son and give thanks that I am well and he is well.

And so I am grateful to you, lilpunkin, for reminding me that how my baby was born does not measure how good of a mom I am. I will hold onto this.

The biggest difficulty is that I now am locked into having a c-section if and when we have another baby.

http://www.handcraftsbyheather.com
Go to Top of Page

cmandle
True Blue Farmgirl

846 Posts

Catherine
Minneapolis MN
846 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  05:17:25 AM  Show Profile
Oh Lizbeth, what a story. Thank you for sharing - I still have shivers just thinking about it! Huge note here though, WE ('cause we're in the same boat now, you and I) are NOT locked into C-sections in the future. VBAC = vaginal birth after Cesarean and it CAN be done. Google it, research it, talk to friends about it. I haven't done it yet, but aim to and wish you luck too!!

But...should our second, third or fourth (!) kids come out via C-section again? No problem. As we've read here, it doesn't matter how the baby is born, just that the outcome is a healthy baby and healthy momma!

Catherine

Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  08:01:55 AM  Show Profile
I wish no one here (or anywhere for that matter) would feel bad about the type of birth they had. Our goal should be to have a healthy baby, no matter how we have to do it. As I said, I had all three in the hospital, and even thought I didn't need a c-section, without intervention, neither I nor my three children would be here. We have to do what is right for our own unique situation and not feel bad about it! You are wonderful women for putting your baby's health and well being first and not for the type of birth you had.
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  08:02:34 AM  Show Profile
I hae a problem with a couple of things a few people have said...I HAVE statistics that PROVE homebirth-for healthy women-is safer than hospital birth. You cannot dispute facts, that is why they are facts.

ALSO the word natural. I DID have a natural birth. there was no option for medicated or unmedicated. My birth was spontaneous and my body functioned completely naturally without anyone telling me how or where or when to push, what positions to take to be comfortable, what position to birth in, where I could sit or stand or walk to, what I could or could ot eat or drink. My body labored unhindered and as it was meant to in nature and in my home, most comfortable natural setting. Please do not inferr that there is no such thing as natural birth, because, I am completely sorry, but my last birth was the purest natural birth I have ever heard of. perhaps the next will be born outside and then there will definately be no contending that my births ARE NATURAL BIRTHS 100%

Tasha-Rose

Homepage:
Go to Top of Page

GaiasRose
True Blue Farmgirl

2552 Posts

Tasha-Rose
St. Paul Minnesota
2552 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  08:19:50 AM  Show Profile
a few links (with other links for more information):

http://gentlebirth.org/ronnie/homesafe.html

http://www.naturalchildbirth.org/natural/resources/homebirth/homebirth01.htm
Just a quote from the above link: "Using the raw perinatal mortality rates (PMR) from a 1970 British national survey, the hospital PMR was 27.8 per 1000 births versus 5.4 per 1000 for homebirths/general practitioner units (GPU). This was not because hospitals handled more high-risk births. When PMRs were standardized based on age, parity, hypertension/toxemia, prenatal risk prediction score, method of delivery and birth weight, adjusted hospital PMRs for each category ranged from 22.7 per 1000 to 27.8 per 1000 while homebirth/GPU rates ranged from 5.4 per 1000 to 10.5 per 1000."

Here is my google search result:
http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4SUNA_en___US209&q=home+birth+safety+statistics

There are studies done very recent, there are studies done 30 years ago and there are some done everywhere in between and CONSISTANTLY, homebirth is BY FAR safer than hospital birth. That is the fact. No one could even come close to talking me into the hospital based on that fact. HOW IN THE HECK does anyone think we as a human specie survuved for so long without doctors tampering with birth in it's healthy state? yes babies died, but obviously they lived more than died otherwise we would not be here.

I apologize if I seem upset by this, but I am personally tired of women only thinking they have informed consent. Most women ASSUME rather than truly decide which way their care will go. Most of us here would say that we are for women's rights, well I ask you, what about a woman's right to not have her body cut open at the slightest show of fetal distress (UM, BABIES GO THROUGH DISTRESS DURING BIRTH!!!! This is nothing new!!)

I feel for those who truly do need to have a section, but more times than not, they are unneccesary. A babe that does not breath IMMEDIATELY is not cause for severe alarm and OMGTHANKGODFORMYDOCTORHESAVEDMYBABYANDMYBABYWOULDHAVEDIED.
Fear of birth creats awe for people who are trained in symptom management, but guess what, pregnancy and birth are not symptoms of dis-ease, they are natural biological functions in and of themselves.

A body that is capable of creating the egg, conceiving with sperm and growing a baby is ALSO 100% capable of birthing that very same baby, albeit sometimes a little painfully, but perfectly capable nonetheless.

I have to walk away from this thread, I think, at lest for the time being.

Ultimately I am just tired of women thinking that the current state of OBGYN care and the way most of us birth anymore is okay, because clearly, and statistics support this, it is not okay. More baies die in the hospital, more mothers die in the hospital than do at home. Plain and simple.

Tasha-Rose

Homepage:
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  09:24:04 AM  Show Profile
I think medical intervention is there for a reason. We live in a fallen world. Our bodies are not perfect, things happen, doctors aren't perfect, midwives aren't perfect. Skills and training are good, but they cannot prevent every problem, nor can they predict everything. I never want anyone to feel bad if they didn't go natural or couldn't go natural. My purpose for this thread was to encourage those who are interested. Not everyone can do it and not everyone wants to. I think any birth you can walk away from is a good one!!! If I had had issues with mine, I wouldn't have wanted to not do everything possible to keep my baby and myself safe. The world is organic, dynamic and messy. Let's provide encouragement.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  09:25:56 AM  Show Profile
This thread is so interesting to me. I have two little ones - both of them I've had in hospitals, both with epidurals. It really worked well for me. The first one, however, was very scary. I had a totally normal pregnancy - nothing unusual at all in ultrasounds or anything, but when William was born, he wasn't breathing *quite* right, and, after a horrible time of not being able to figure out why, it turned out that his heart had rapidly enlarged after birth to almost fill his entire chest cavity and he had to be life-flighted to Primary Childrens Medical Center (I am SO lucky to live in the same state as that hospital!!!) and kept in the ICU for over a week. On the 30th, we go back up to that hospital to have his annual checkup to see how things are progressing. I can breathe a sigh of relief when I say that, so far, so good!!! He's an amazing little one - I LOVE HIM!!! Anyhoo - for my second child, I didn't even consider homebirth, because I was so grateful to be at a hospital for the first one. The second preganacy and birth went like a dream - wonderful. It's all so personal - we all have a different tolerance for what we perceive as risk, and I don't believe that there is one right way to do things on this one, for sure. That all being said -- I DO hold this fantasy of how neat a home birth would be, and I know that for those of you who choose homebirth, it must be wonderful...Aren't our bodies AMAZING?!?!?

I surely believe that, while birth is the beginning of motherhood - it doesn't define us as good/bad/caring/non-caring/right/wrong/..... mothers. AND, I'm so proud of all of us for making the best choices for our children that we know how at any given moment. THAT's the important part to me, at least.

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes

Edited by - Libbie on Mar 23 2007 09:47:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

primjillie
True Blue Farmgirl

138 Posts

Jill
Antelope CA
USA
138 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  09:44:28 AM  Show Profile
Tasha ~ I think it is wonderful that you had such an empowering birth, and in an ideal world we all could. But unfortunately, it isn't an ideal world and that just isn't going to happen. I would have loved to just let my body take over and birth my babies, but after being 4 weeks overdue and worried about the safety of my infant, I had to look into other methods. I would rather have some intervention and have a live baby to hold in my arms, rather than wait for my body to decide and risk his life. I also think each of us could finds statistics to back up what we want to believe. Surely, more babies lived than died, but does justify taking chances with a human being? I wouldn't want to be one of the mothers that didn't have a happy ending. As long as each woman has a safe birth with a healthy baby as the result, does it really matter how it happened? Many people don't want to take the chances of a home birth and that is okay too. Also, I don't think anyone is saying home birth (as opposed to natural birth, which can be monitored in the hospital) is bad, just not their personal choice. So I hope you are not feeling attacked, because I don't think anyone means to, it's just a difference of opinion.
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  09:46:34 AM  Show Profile
In the US, do you have choices of how you wish to birth your baby in hospitals? I only know what I've seen in the media, but some of the birthing centers look wonderful...baths, balls, stools, beds that make into all sorts of positions, etc. I was fortunate to have a wonderful, very laid back doctor who let me do what I wanted...except for a homebirth! He was supportive to what I wanted, but when I mentioned homebirth he literally begged me to deliver in hospital with a promise that if I wanted to go home immediately afterward, he would let me so long as there were no problems. I had a great hospital birthing experience and opted for staying in for four days (they used to let you then!). Why not...someone else doing the cooking, cleaning and laundry!! haha
I'm so happy everything turned out so well for your little guy Libbie. A perfect example of the one of the many unknowns that can happen.
Rebecca - I think what you said sums it up perfectly, although I had to laugh at "if you can walk away it was a good one". Does it matter if you walk gingerly for a couple days?
Diane
Go to Top of Page

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 23 2007 :  09:57:30 AM  Show Profile
I am not meaning to come across as attacking you either Tasha...as a matter of fact, I completely understand where you're coming from...ie. our bodies were made to do this and why do we need all manner of monitors and machines to interfere with nature taking its course. However, I do believe that we can search the internet to find stats and studies to support whatever side we wish to take in the homebirth vs. hospital debate. It's just the nature of the beast.
Personally, I could not live with myself if I had a tragic outcome because of my own wishes to do it my way at home, if the death of my precious baby could have been easily averted.

Di
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Here's to Your Health: Previous Topic My Natural Childbirth Experience Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page