Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 A Farm of My Own
 more determined then ever!!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic more determined then ever!! Next Topic  

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  07:16:22 AM  Show Profile
I vented on "across the fence" about organic prices but I am more determined then ever to have my small farm. I want 2 to 4 acres (not alot to some) but it's enough for my family to grow a great garden, have chickens, a couple of sheep & my horse. I am not giving up on this like I have in the past because I'll never afford it or my husbands health problems. If I can't afford to stay in N.J. then I'll move & his health will be the same no matter where we live. As long as were not in the middle of nowhere & can get to a hospital, we'll be fine. I can come up w/ all sort's of reasons why we shouldn't try to have a small peice of land & I have, many times but now those reasons don't seem so important anymore. Im 55 years old & I'm tired of wondering IF it will ever happen. It won't if I do nothing but think of all the reasons why we shouldn't. This is a day of venting for me. and a day of realization!!

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  08:48:00 AM  Show Profile
Best of wishes to you Michele..I really hope that you are able to realize that dream..you go girl!
And a change of scenery just might do your husband good too.
Kentucky had some very reasonable prices on homes/land...I'm sure Miz Frannie could let you know about land/homes in her area.
As could some of the other gals here ....in their areas.

Here in North Florida though land prices are rather high..but in Southern Georgia and Northern Georgia the prices are still rather reasonable.

I wish you the best.

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  09:57:22 AM  Show Profile
I SO know that feeling of wondering IF what "the dream" is is EVER going to happen. Is there a small step you can take right now, now that you've decided to move toward a new life/style? I just know it will happen for you - you CAN make it happen! And, I've never seen a person who didn't get some good from a bit of fresh air and some space to breathe in - I'm hoping that will be true for your husband, too. Please let us know how we can help you along the way - there is some great farmland here in Utah, as well! And I'm SURE the prices are lower than in NJ.

XOXO, Libbie

"Nothing is worth more than this day." - Goethe
Go to Top of Page

steeleyedjack
Farmgirl in Training

32 Posts

Constance
Erwinna PA
USA
32 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:09:17 PM  Show Profile
Michele,

GO FOR IT!! Continue to see yourself on your farm every day and the universe is sure to put something in your path. Keep a healthy disrepect for the impossible. :)
Go to Top of Page

catscharm74
True Blue Farmgirl

4687 Posts

Heather
Texas
USA
4687 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Send catscharm74 a Yahoo! Message
I believe in what goes around comes around. Keep thinking of your dreams and goals, and they will happen.
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michele-

I know you can do it! I think you are right to realize that you husband's health problems are going to be there no matter where you live. I am sure you can find a small acreage area somewhere close to a great hospital. Heck- move out here to Idaho! And with your husband's health problems I bet a more organic lifestyle would certainly help, not hinder!

I know that I am more determined to have a healthy garden this year because of my baby than I have ever been before. Not only will it save us money in the long run, but I want to try and give her the most healthy foods right from the start.

Good luck with you quest! Keep us updated on how the search is going :)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

MustangSuzie
True Blue Farmgirl

634 Posts

Sarah
New London Missouri
USA
634 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  2:13:54 PM  Show Profile  Send MustangSuzie a Yahoo! Message
Best to you Michele in finding your land. In the mean time is there anyone you know that has a garden they aren't using? That may help you out until you can get a large one for your family.

Blessings....
Sarah

"In our every deliberation, we must consider the impact of our decisions on the next seven generations." -From The Great Law Of The Iroquois Confederacy.

REDUCE, REUSE, RECYCLE!!!!

http://mustangsuzie.wordpress.com

Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Michele- If you can picture it in your head, then you can accomplish it! This year, I am picturing my front yard filled with raised beds and brimming with happy veggie plants! Now, if I can get that picture in DH's head.....Good luck to you in your search!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

Miss Bee Haven
True Blue Farmgirl

4331 Posts

Janice
Louisville/Irvington Kentucky
USA
4331 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  06:40:22 AM  Show Profile  Send Miss Bee Haven a Yahoo! Message
Michele - We bought our land from the Kentucky Land Co. Their website address is: http://www.kylandco.com. The property next to us is for sale(hint,hint) now. I think there are 17 acres and a four year old house(the new owner built it, then his wife had a series of strokes and he's moved closer to relatives). I think he's asking around $150,000. The agent is the Alexander Butler Co. It's been for sale for a year, so he would probably consider offers. So, come on down to Kentucky! :) I'd sure love to have you!!! In fact, I'd be more than happy to share my Kubota tractor with you and give you hundreds of daylilies!!!! And we are not too far from medical facilities in Elizabethtown. How's this for a sales pitch?

"If you think you've got it nailed down, then what's all that around it?" - 'Brother Dave' Gardner

Edited by - Miss Bee Haven on Mar 19 2007 08:19:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  07:17:54 AM  Show Profile
Michele

Best of luck to you! My hubby also has health problems and moving out to the country was a great concern to me. But it has really helped him relax and it has been great for him.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  11:51:57 AM  Show Profile
Michele, I wish you all the best in finding your dream. Sometimes you just have to step out and go for it. The problem is that the older we get the more we think things to death. I know, I'll be 55 in two months. I just got my dream this last December, a 2.25 acre piece of rural heaven and I'm doing this as a single woman with no job waiting for me. Now, it may not look like much to some, but to me it's all I need. I finally decided to stop thinking it over and over and just DO IT! Once I took that leap, everything, and I mean everything, fell into place. I'm so happy now and don't look back. The fears I had have gone. Immerse yourself in your dream and you'll find it becomes a reality. Take the step, life is just too short. Good luck to you and your family.
Go to Top of Page

lamamama
True Blue Farmgirl

255 Posts

Melanie
CA
USA
255 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:02:41 PM  Show Profile
Michele, keep the faith!
I identify with your feelings....... since I'm 54 & still trying to figure out how I'm going to make my little piece of Farmgirl Dreamland actually happen. But I keep putting one foot in front of the other, day by day. And I think being here is one of the best things we can do!

Jan, as a single Mom, I'm fascinated by your story. How did you make your dream a reality? And CONGRATULATIONS to you for doing so!!
Go to Top of Page

Lovin Life
True Blue Farmgirl

103 Posts

Lisa
New Hampshire
103 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:36:40 PM  Show Profile
mIchelle,
I know how you feel. I am 40, 41 in August and I have told myself that by the time I'm 50 I want to have my farm/business going full time. Preferably 45! Then I think, geez, I hope I'm physically able to do all the work when I'm 50. I better get moving on this. You can do it! I think you should check out that property in Kentucky. I've looked on the internet and it's a beautiful state. I would consider moving there too, but my husband wants to stay in New England. I keep trying to tell him we could get a bigger farm for less money down south, but then he says " yeah, but where would I work?" I just think he could find something if he really wanted to. People move all the time and switch jobs. Good Luck!

I'd rather live my life with a "full plate" than an empty one. Life is not a rehearsal... eat up!
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  6:14:22 PM  Show Profile
Melanie, the way I was able to buy this house and land comes at a high price. I was married for 14yrs to a man who was very emotionally and mentally abusive. When we finally divorced I got a settlement that enabled me to pay cash for a house. That was the one I just moved from. Houses and land in Germantown (SE WI) are much more expensive than up here in the northwoods of WI. My house sold in ONE day for more than I thought I'd get and I was able to purchase land and a nicer house than I had down there up here in Tomahawk. I have no house payment and no debts. I have the extra money in the bank and am able to live on that for awhile. I want to enjoy my summer, getting gardens done, painting the interior of the house, etc, and then I'll get a job in the Fall...it's truly been a blessing. I have 3 children who are all out of the house (5 grandchildren), so I only have to take care of myself. But believe me, I do envy those of you with happy marriages. But, I am blessed in other ways.
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  8:15:38 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Michele,
You Go For It!!!! So glad you came to us to vent and share. So many things you said are true. Sometimes dreams don't come true but often we don't make them come true, so I admire your determination and am rooting for you!!! Keep us posted, come and vent when ya need! My thoughts n prayers are with you!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic more determined then ever!! Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page