UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  8:10:40 PM  Show Profile
Not very seriously right now but there are several properties that we are interested in. One is three acres ( I know not very big but we still want to be close to the city) and has 5 bedrooms, 3 full baths, newly renovated and has a 4 stall horse barn with tack room and 60x120 riding arena. It stated it was fenced and cross fenced. I"m not sure what that means but my DH said we can go look at it. I'm not interested in owning a horse right now but the chickens will have a place to run around and I'm excited to go look at it. I'm not sure how to justify the horse barn to my DH but the price isn't to bad for the location and the schools in this county are great. We just talked about this the last couple of days. It's getting crowded here and they are going to add several big box stores near us and that will definately increase traffic in front of the subdivision. I'm also tired of asking the HOA for every little thing that is in my yard or backyard. We have to get approval for everything including what goes in our backyard. I'm tired of it so it's time to move out to a place that I can call my own and put anything I want in it and on it. Cross your fingers girls, I'm hoping to look for houses and maybe be on my own farm this spring and summer. BTW If you can own horses on a property should I investigate weather cows or other livestock are allowed. I just assume if horses are ok then other livestock are too. Am I wrong? Can you house a cow in a horse barn and riding arena? I'm new at the whole idea of owning livestock other than chickens. Are there any books or websites I can find out more about other livestock?

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  8:26:12 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
How exciting! I hope it works out for you! I honestly do not know if one kind of farm animal is allowed the others are automatically, but since there are so many interesting and unique rules and regulations I have come across I would make sure. The are many wonderful books from a reading point of view, but since I have never had chickens...maybe those that have them should recomend? I do know that I have recieved some wonderful reconmendations from the clubs of poultry/livestock I am interested in. I just google the livestock/birds I am looking for information on and contact the club. They will talk to you over the phone often and are very helpful and for a small fee you can join the club and get newsletters and information for a year or more depending on the membership you opt for. I wish you the very best! Do keep us posted!!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  8:31:33 PM  Show Profile
Good luck. I hope that it works out for you. The place sounds great! I cant answer much about the other livestock but I do know that it will vary from place to place and you will need to check with the city or county to see how it is zoned and what they will allow.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  8:59:50 PM  Show Profile
Urban,

I would definetly check out the zoning, the real estate agent should have it. Although, 3 acreas is enough to have livestock some counties might want to restrict the number or type. Better to check before buying and know for sure what you can and cannot have. As for the barn and DH, tell him it can be used for animals other than horses. Sheep, goats, milk cows or feeder steers and pigs also need to have some kind of enclosure or cover against weather and sun. You could even use one stall for the chickens. All these can also feed the family.

Best of luck. It sounds wonderful. Please keep us posted.
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 14 2007 :  9:10:34 PM  Show Profile
Well tomorrow I'm calling our mortgage agent and see how much of a loan we can qualify for and then he'll also tell us how to get our current home ready for sale. I think this weekend we are going to drive by the properties that I looked at so we can see them from the street and then make appointments to see them up close.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

westernhorse51
True Blue Farmgirl

1681 Posts

michele
farmingdale n.j.
USA
1681 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  04:42:57 AM  Show Profile
Ayako, three acres are GREAT, I'd take one about now. Good luck & I hope you get the farm of your dreams.

she selects wool and flax and works with eager hands Prov.31:13
Go to Top of Page

Mumof3
True Blue Farmgirl

3890 Posts

Karin
Ellenwood GA
USA
3890 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  05:57:36 AM  Show Profile
Ayako- I hope things go well for you! How exciting!! Which county are you looking in? (She says, secretly hoping its nearby!!) Good luck!

Karin
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  08:27:15 AM  Show Profile
We are looking in Cherokee county. We live in Cobb right now but the houses with acreage here are way too expensive for what you get. Anything further we would be too far from my husbands work. I'm looking into Canton, Woodstock, (cherokee county side) of Alpharetta. It will take us about 3-6 months to get our house fixed up, painted, new carpets and find temporary boarding for all the animals enough to sell it. So we are just now looking into it. Called the mortgage broker this morning, he will talk it over with DH as to what is in the best interest of our house and even if it's a good time for us to sell right now. What is a decent price to pay for acreage and a house. So we are in the first stages of home buying and selling our home. I've looked at Harry Norman Realtors, Land and farm, and united country for properties. I don't know where else to look but other realtor websites like remax and such. There's never any houses and farms for sale in the Ag Bulletin so I stopped looking. If anyone else has a suggestion on where to find farm houses let me know.

"Courage dosen't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying: I will try again tomorrow."
Go to Top of Page

ponyexpress
True Blue Farmgirl

320 Posts

Sandy
Kirkwood Missouri
USA
320 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  5:13:41 PM  Show Profile
Best of luck in your property search! DEFINATELY check both the county restrictions and any local ordinances that may restrict what animals you can keep. Even though you may not be in a neighborhood, so to speak, there are most likely restrictions on what you can and can't own. Horses are usually allowed possibly because they are considered pets, but other animals like goats, sheep, pigs are farm animals and will likely be restricted - especially if you will be on smaller acreage and close to town.

I speak from experience...we have been looking for ages for property that both my husband and I agree on. Horses have generally been allowed, but pigs are specifically restricted, and many times they will restrict all "cloven hooves" which include sheep, goats, pigs, etc. Never assume always ask...and ask to see it in writing.

Try locating feed/farm stores, equine tack shops, veterinarians who service large animals. They usually have bulletin boards with postings of properties. If not, the employees know everybody around and usually know of what property might be for sale.

P.S. My stepdaughter lives in Smyrna - I think that's pretty close to you, yes?

I've tried to find a suitable exercise video for women my age...but they haven't made one called "Buns of Putty"
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 15 2007 :  7:28:57 PM  Show Profile
Smyrna is down the freeway from me about 20 minutes maybe closer. I know it well, I used to work for a veterinarian in smyrna. I've been calling the local code enforcer of the cities I'm looking at. I'm still trying to get the county code officer. The ordinances on muncicode are ambiguious and I'm not sure if they are including everything I need to know about livestock. I found another property today and I'm going to do a drive by tomorrow. It's about 40 minutes from me and it's only 2 acres but theres a barn,riding ring and pasture.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:06:47 PM  Show Profile
Ok...looked at another property and it seems to be the right price but it's only 2 acres. She has a barn and it looks like it is set up for 1 horse. She said you can have 2 horses per acre but I think that's a little small. It has fencing all around and has a fence down the middle to separate animals if need be. She also has a small coop in the back that is fenced. I really don't want a horse unless I get a minature or something. I really want a meat cow and mayby a jersey to milk but I think 2 acres is too small. What do you guys think? I've never owned cattle before so I would like to know of some good books as well.

Go to Top of Page

shelle
True Blue Farmgirl

404 Posts

Shelle
oklahoma
USA
404 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  12:54:42 PM  Show Profile
Ayako,

We just bought two acres and moved out there about 3 weeks ago. I think it would be plenty big enough for a couple of cows and some chickens. I dont know a lot about cattle right now but we are planning on getting a feeder calf or two later in the year ourselves.

Shelle

http://janzenfamilyjournal.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  5:55:24 PM  Show Profile
Well the search continues. We are getting an appraisal done next week for our own house so we know what to list it for. I am packing 1 room at a time and hopefully we can have this house ready an on the market in 2-4 weeks. Keep your fingers crossed and pray my husband lites a fire under his you know what and get some things fixed in this house. I'm going to get the storage facility tomorrow and start filling up with boxes from the various rooms. In the mean time I am looking at 3 properties tomorrow. And I've researched schools in the area. The mortgage broker is getting our pre qualification together and we'll see what we qualify for, but we are looking for houses that are WAY lower than what we can afford anyway. My DH doesn't want to be house poor, and I don't blame him...although if he would just allow $50,000 to $75,000 more to the house budget we could get some awesome acreage and homes.

Go to Top of Page

UrbanChick
True Blue Farmgirl

331 Posts

Ayako
Atlanta GA
USA
331 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  5:58:13 PM  Show Profile
I just realized that in the matter of 7 week our house went from not looking very seriously to getting the house packed up and ready for sale. hahaha! Well I'm getting excited about moving and I think my husband is tired of my nagging about it.

Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 21 2007 :  11:44:07 AM  Show Profile
Ayako - that is so exciting! I just wanted to add that if you go to your local library and see if they have "Barnyard in your Backyard" by Gail Damerow, you can get a good overview of the basics of all sorts of animals... I'm excited for you!

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page
  A Farm of My Own: Previous Topic We are looking Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page