Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 Soil for raised beds...bring it in/use your own
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic Soil for raised beds...bring it in/use your own Next Topic  

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  11:46:25 AM  Show Profile
Hi ya gals. Hope everyone is doing well this fine day!
I am making raised beds in a part of my yard that has soil, but not great soil, aside from being totally clay, I think it might have (at one time) been a gravel driveway. So my idea was to have a good garden mix delivered, and break up the "soil" that exists under there with my pitchfork.

Has anyone else brought in soil for their raised beds? I have a honda civic, and that's just TOO many trips to garden store for bags of soil, and where I purchased it from creates their own mixes--will mix in whatever you'd like...I figure, by the time I drive back and forth 20 times to the garden center, and buy all the, soil, implements, and amendments, I might as well fork over $120 bucks for delivery and soil. It's an 8 x 8 bed (12 inches deep).

Logical or no? As a total beginner at this, I just don't want to make any mistakes, but I feel like my soil just isn't worth working with.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Tina Michelle
True Blue Farmgirl

6948 Posts

Tina
sunshine state FL
USA
6948 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:19:35 PM  Show Profile
have you checked out the book"Square Foot Gardening"?

In it there is the recommendation to create a mix using 1/3 peat moss
1/3 vermiculite
and 1/3 blended compost.

no need to till..just lay down black plastic/like weed block then pile in the soil..and no need to have to use expensive fertilizers either.
and hardly ever need to weed...
It's a really neat concept and I'd highly recommend checking the book out.

I plan to make myself a 4 by 4 strawberry bed this weekend using the concept in the book...and then amending an area that used to have roses in it..I'll remove the old roses...and add a bit of miracle gro and compost to the soil and have it rady for the plants when they arrive.

My soil here also is pretty much on the sandy/clay side..I live just 2 blocks from the intercoastal waterway..so you can imagine what the soil here can be like...plus since this used to be swamp land..add to that the critters called "noseeums"..... so digging in the dirt here is not excatly fun unless I want to be itching a good bit.

If I am creating a bed for instance for wildflowers...I just rent a tiller and rake out the debris...then edge with landscape edging..and sow my seeds...I don't amend anything.

If wanting to grow roses..I usually add a bag or two of miracle gro potting soil to my own soil and mix it in then plant my flowers and add a layer of mulch over top.

Since like you my soil isn't very good as far as vegetable growing goes...(I have no problem with flowers..go figure!..but when it comes to veggies for some reason they refuse to produce/grow like they should!)
I will have to amend the soil or create my own bed...but even with amending the soil here with cow compost...about the only thing I had success with last year was a single cherry tomato plant that no matter what..decided to grow and produce a little bit at least...everything else gave up the ghost in this soil.(I had tried bell peppers and tomatoes)

I have started a few items like a cherry tomato plant and some lettuces in pots that have been filled with the miracle gro soil...and have some bush bean starts planted against my deck....
So far things are staying green.

The miracle gro mix is a more expensive potting soil but I find that it has less tendency than the cheaper brands to dry out as fast...if using it in containers.

If you are wanting to get several seasons out of the veggie/flower bed I do think it is worth having the dirt/compost or whatever you'll have mixed up..hauled in.
As it can actually take several years to get bad soil ..up to par for growing things effectively.

Around here folks swear by the mushroom compost.
I have never tried that...but it can be bought by the truck load around here.

I'd also suggest contacting your local Cooperative Extension office and getting some of their brochures/papers on the local vegetable and flower growing tips.
Or if you can find a website online for the state of Kentucky Cooperative Extension...alot of times you'll find good information that you can use in the home garden.

But yes..I think that spending a little bit to get a really nice planting area that you'll use for several seasons would be a good investment.

Do try and check out that book if you can..it is pretty interesting and I was impressed with the concept..as it definitely looks like a winner for those of us with problem soils.

Best of wishes to you..let's hope that all of our green thumbs improve!

~Seize the Day! Live, Love, Laugh~
Go to Top of Page

akcowgirl
True Blue Farmgirl

296 Posts

Valerie
Homer Alaska
USA
296 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:53:47 PM  Show Profile  Send akcowgirl a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by bayoubunch

Make sure that the soil you get trucked in is good garden soil ...we had a load of "top soil" delivered and it was all clay...still fighting with those beds.

the same thing happened to me. I would fork out the money to have it deliverd if you don't have a truck to haul it with, it is well worth it for good soil.

Valerie
Yes, I live in my own little world. But that's ok they know me here.
Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Go to Top of Page

La Patite Ferme
True Blue Farmgirl

623 Posts

Jenn
CA
USA
623 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  12:59:45 PM  Show Profile
KY -

I have raised beds in my yard, partially becuase of the soil, but it also helps keeps the dogs from running over my veggies. I started getting free soil from local Earth Day and composting events then purchased some in bulk from a local soil amendment guy. Both were good quality. I think it was well worth the money. Now I just top it off each spring, trying to get the free stuff.
Go to Top of Page

LadyCrystal
True Blue Farmgirl

593 Posts

Alicia
Rhode Island
USA
593 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  3:17:10 PM  Show Profile
We bought two truck loads of loam and had great success. We shopped around and got some recomendations from people who have bought from the different dealers before and we were quite happy with what was brought in and the price was good too. Far less expensive than bringing it in by the bag. SOme dealer will have a minimum amount of yards they will deliver. We got free delivery each time by ordering that amount. We will probably get some more this year because I just can't stop expanding I love gardening so much.
Alicia

http://fromcitytocountrygirl.blogspot.com/
follow your dreams
Go to Top of Page

bramble
True Blue Farmgirl

2044 Posts

2044 Posts

Posted - Mar 16 2007 :  4:24:25 PM  Show Profile
Yes good quality SCREENED topsoil is well worth it. (Screened means it's gone through a machine that removes rocks and debris of a certain size). Look at the soil before you order it.
I have some raised beds and we did add some topsoil that was trucked in. I also always dig in some more composted material each year to beef it up before I start. There is landscape fabric that is woven that allows the water to perk through and helps keep weeds down. If you are in a humid/wet area sometimes plastic aids in mold, mildew and rot(especially in clay soils). I put newsprint down on the walkways in early spring and top with pine needles and I don't have many weeds and it smells great too! I am adding some more herb beds this year...it's like quilting; addictive! Have fun and don't stress, it's supposed to be enjoyable!

with a happy heart
Go to Top of Page

KYgurlsrbest
True Blue Farmgirl

4853 Posts

Jonni
Elsmere Kentucky
USA
4853 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  06:45:45 AM  Show Profile
This is why I love you girls! It's so great to have folks answer who have actually experienced what I'm attempting to do...I printed this out, so during the week, when I get antsy about my delivery, I can call and ask a few more questions.

I initially called a local nursery, because I like to by in my little town if I can, and he recommended the place I finally ended up with--he said they make great soil mixes and had been around forever. He did give me some advice about asking if they'd tested the horse manure in their soil mix for mercury levels because that has been a problem lately (I don't know if he meant around here, or in general). I did ask about the mercury levels and he actually emailed me a spec sheet on the particular garden mix I'm getting---it's 50% high grade topsoil and 30% manure and 20% leaf compound. Sounds pretty normal to me, but this was what he suggested after he asked what vege's I'd be growing and how deep my beds were.

He also mentioned that if was doing any other beds, i.e, roses, etc...they could design a soil for me specifically. Apparently, they do this now more than their original nursery business...

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt." Margaret Atwood

Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 17 2007 :  09:09:09 AM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Okay- I love being pregnant. (*insert mildly wicked laughter here*)

I really need some topsoil/compost for my garden as the soil back there has not been worked in ages. I can buy locally produced compost through my Do-It-Best Store for $20 for a cubic yard which is about all I need. However there is no WAY that would fit in my little Pontiac Sunfire- especially not after I just paid to get it detailed!

So I asked how much I have to buy to get it delivered and they said at least 2 cubic yards! So asked if they ever made exceptions, told them where I live (less than a mile away), and told them that I am 8 months pregnant and I just need the one cubic yard and I want to get my garden planted before delivering the baby... and they said they will see what they can do!

Lets hear it for good guys being nice to pregnant women! (lol)

Alee
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  10:42:23 AM  Show Profile
Have you tried Eko-compost? I bought a ton at a farm-supply store and worked it in to a raised bed I built along the recently-paved road by our house. I paid about $30 for the whole ton. Before the soil was nearly all rock and barely supported weeds. Now, I've got shrubs, roses, and had a small but productive garden last year (the second year since adding...it was a bit "hot" when I first worked it in). At that price, it's worth looking into.

We make a difference.

Edited by - Huckelberrywine on Mar 19 2007 3:57:21 PM
Go to Top of Page

Alee
True Blue Farmgirl

22941 Posts

Alee
Worland Wy
USA
22941 Posts

Posted - Mar 18 2007 :  12:43:42 PM  Show Profile  Send Alee a Yahoo! Message
Michelle- thanks for the info, I will look to see if anyone around here sells that. I might also skip the compost this year. I just spent several hours working the ground into submission and the soil around here is actually really great. I want to get my own compost heap started as soon as possible. I love this time of year!
Go to Top of Page

Local Chick
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Janice
Texas Hill Country
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:08:23 AM  Show Profile
I have a question i hope someone here can answer for me. Last year we built a raised bed garden & filled it with a mix of: blended compost, herb mix, its a very light well draining soil, I LOVE IT but this year as i have tilled it i have noticed that small mushrooms have been popping up all over the place.

When we built the raised bed, we never tilled the soil below, we layed screen mesh and it comes up the sides then we started adding in the soils so i have no idea where these mushrooms are coming from. Im almost afraid to use my herbs. I keep pulling the mushrooms up from the root but the more i pull the more they pop up.

Any ideas why this is so? And are they harmful?

thanks in advance for any & all replys.

Life is Good!
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:15:15 AM  Show Profile
Janice,

Mushrooms are a blessing and/or a curse. Your best option is to take one, in a paper bag, to your local county extension office for identification. Identifying a mushroom with certainty requires expertise, sometimes a microscope to identify it by the spores. You might have a poisonous variety, or you might have one you'd like to serve with your herbs. Depends on what you've got. Hope this helps. When in doubt about a mushroom...don't eat it.

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Local Chick
Farmgirl in Training

11 Posts

Janice
Texas Hill Country
11 Posts

Posted - Mar 24 2007 :  09:24:50 AM  Show Profile
Thanks Michelle for the reply. They sure as heck dont look like anything i have ever seen at the grocery store. I pull 'em & toss out of my fenced area, (my raised bed is fenced in to keep the wild life out...they tend to think i plant for them )

Your suggestion is a good one, i hadnt thought of that, well i guess i know where i will be on Monday!

You think its OK to use my herbs? On second thought i think i live a few days without the herbs

Life is Good!

Edited by - Local Chick on Mar 24 2007 09:27:20 AM
Go to Top of Page

Huckelberrywine
True Blue Farmgirl

1607 Posts

Michelle
Rosalia
1607 Posts

Posted - Mar 25 2007 :  4:51:20 PM  Show Profile
I'd think your herbs should be fine. So long as the mushrooms aren't oozing goo on them. Just give the herbs a good wash. But again, if you're worried, ask the extension office. I haven't heard that mushrooms hurt a garden, other than using nutrients the other plants could use. I get them around the house too, and haven't been poisoned by my gardens. But ask a pro...I don't want to risk your health! Lots of edible mushrooms don't show up at the grocery because they are much to delicate and would spoil if they had to wait to be eaten. Or they aren't commercially profitable enough to bother with. We have lots of wild mushroom collectors in our area...

We make a difference.
Go to Top of Page

Libbie
Farmgirl Connection Cultivator

3579 Posts

Anne E.
Elsinore Utah
USA
3579 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  12:28:28 AM  Show Profile
Okay, now I'm curious! What kind of mushroom are they?

XOXO, Libbie

"All through the long winter, I dream of my garden. On the first day of spring, I dig my fingers deep into the soft earth. I can feel its energy, and my spirits soar..." - Helen Hayes
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  08:09:17 AM  Show Profile
I've had itty-bitty mushrooms pop up from out of store-bought mulch that was in the bag too long. I think they're probably harmless, but they're not pretty, are they? I'd love to know for sure. Also, I saw my first stinkhorn mushroom (indescribable in mixed company) growing out of some mulch I got at the landfill, steaming hot from the bottom of the 30-foot-tall pile, so I figured it would be sterile enough, but I guess not.

Trucking in topsoil is such a treat, but you do have to be careful. And sometimes, I wonder if we don't make our garden soil *too* rich for some plants -- resulting in lots of growth and leaves, but no veggies.

Our clay soil is packed so solid that the concept of "working in" better soil, or compost, is nearly alien to me.Do you farmgals living in clay-soil areas just put the topsoil down and trust that worms will start to work their magic?
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic Soil for raised beds...bring it in/use your own Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page