Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password        REGISTER
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 General Chat Forum
 Garden Gate
 A use for rocks. Have you ever tried this?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Garden Gate: Previous Topic A use for rocks. Have you ever tried this? Next Topic  

angelsmith13
Farmgirl in Training

33 Posts

Angel
westmoreland TN
USA
33 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  10:11:18 AM  Show Profile
Has anyone ever used large flat rocks to cover spots in beds and borders that don't have any plants? For instance, I have spots in between perennials that I have not found the right plant for yet. These are the places that weeds start to grow. I like my beds lush so they choke out the weeds. But there are still spaces. I was thinking of using the large flat rocks that are down in the woods. They are about 2 in. thick and not very heavy. I've used them for stepping stones but I wasn't sure how they would work for place holders until I could find the right plant for the spot. Have any of you done this and if so how did it look? Thanks.

DaisyFarm
True Blue Farmgirl

1646 Posts

Diane
Victoria BC
Canada
1646 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  10:26:29 AM  Show Profile
I have smooth, round river rock here and I have placed nice ones between plants. I kind of like it as it lets some plants be noticed on their own.
I'll trade you some round ones for some flat ones!! I've seen raised beds made with flat stone that look really neat...soil put between the "layers" of rocks and sedums planted...always wanted to try that.
Di
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:03:52 PM  Show Profile
We have stone covering all of our beds in the backyard (no flowers just evergreens and such). It works well. We bought the house and it was already done this way...easy and low maintenance. But it makes it difficult to plant anything else once the stones are in. If you want I can take a photo for you. Let me know.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  1:21:50 PM  Show Profile
Yes, my flowerbed out front has a couple just for this purpose! Looks good to me!

My sister uses the rocks that she collects on her travels to the Southwest to decorate hers.

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

windypines
True Blue Farmgirl

4185 Posts

Michele
Bruce Wisconsin
USA
4185 Posts

Posted - Mar 19 2007 :  4:23:00 PM  Show Profile
I live in rock country. So we use rocks for everything-free for the picking. All my flowerbeds have rock borders. I stack up interesting ones here and there. Add in some neat dead branches. We have red ledge rock that we use for walkways to the barn and coop. Michele
Go to Top of Page

owwlady
True Blue Farmgirl

899 Posts

Jan
Tomahawk WI
USA
899 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  08:29:01 AM  Show Profile
I don't have flat rocks, wish I did, but I do use good sized rocks to scatter around in my flower beds. I think it gives them a nice rustic, natural look. I don't like things too formal.
Go to Top of Page

Woodswoman
True Blue Farmgirl

512 Posts

Jennifer
Altamont NY
USA
512 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  5:25:44 PM  Show Profile
I used field rocks for all of my borders, and when I have come across a particularly cool or interesting rock, I add it to my flower beds-like you said, they keep down the weeds, and they look cool!

Jennifer
Go to Top of Page

Aunt Jenny
True Blue Farmgirl

11381 Posts

Jenny
middle of Utah
USA
11381 Posts

Posted - Mar 20 2007 :  6:25:55 PM  Show Profile
what a good idea...I should do that...keep some weeds at bay and hold places where I intend to plant things. Flat rocks are not easy to find here either. I use round ones alot in borders...I love how they look with especially the perinnials

Jenny in Utah
Inside me there is a skinny woman crying to get out...but I can usually shut her up with cookies
http://www.auntjennysworld.blogspot.com/ visit my little online shop at www.auntjenny.etsy.com
Go to Top of Page

Rosemary
True Blue Farmgirl

1825 Posts

Virginia
USA
1825 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  11:28:02 AM  Show Profile
Flat rocks in your garden should be lovely "naturalizers," and also handy for when you need to walk into the garden for cuttings and don't want to squish the soil.

Very early last spring, when I was raising a baby robin and needed a constant supply of worms, I was wishing I'd placed more flat rocks in all the garden places -- just lift up rocks in places like that and you'll see why!
Go to Top of Page
  Garden Gate: Previous Topic A use for rocks. Have you ever tried this? Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page