Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  11:29:49 AM  Show Profile
Buttercup, I would also love to learn more about honey farming, rabbits, breadmaking, drying fruits & veggies, canning & freezing.
Eren, I'll be right over, lol. I'm looking forward to learning new things.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  3:04:08 PM  Show Profile
Eren, I'm not sure, perhaps you could put it in the "Make It Easy" forum?

See, isn't this fun already, we are connecting people's interests with their names so we can figure out who has the same interests! It's great. I love interaction! : ) Good job! And I'm looking forward to the blogging & digital camera stuff. Maybe I can finally figure out how to do stuff!! Yay!

.·:*¨¨* :·.Rebecca.·:*¨¨* :·.
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  3:17:09 PM  Show Profile
Great job Michele! : )

Go to Top of Page

grace gerber
True Blue Farmgirl

2804 Posts

grace
larkspur colorado
USA
2804 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  5:14:13 PM  Show Profile
I am so excited about this! So for those of us who have blog sites already we are to post there - am I reading this correctly? For me if there was a question given I sure would answer and also give as much visual as I could to assist. We have raised Alpacas, Llamas, Sheep, Goats (fiber and dairy), Rabbits, Great Pry's and Chickens. We have done this for eleven years Holistically and Organically. If it also has anything to do with fiber and the business surrounding it - I will gladly help. Since it would be impossible to just start in on all this information I think maybe even if you email the question or topic and then I will answer on my blogsite if that is the way we are setting this up. If you have a different way in which you want us to handle it I am up for that too! I am all yours - just know I love teaching what I have learned!!!

Grace Gerber
Larkspur Funny Farm and Fiber Art Studio

Where the spirits are high and the fiber is deep
http://www.larkspurfunnyfarm.etsy.com
http://larkspurfunnyfarm.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

_Rebecca_
True Blue Farmgirl

568 Posts

Rebecca
OK
USA
568 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  5:45:03 PM  Show Profile
Yes, good thinking. I think for mentors you really need questions from those who would like to learn. And not all questions will necessitate blogging and are great just to post on MJ FG connection. Like Michele did for the chicken topic, she just posted under the appropriate forum.

However, blogging with instructions and photos for some things would be awesome. For me, just getting to see what your Farmgirl Experience is about is fascinating. If Michele wanted to she could show some pics of chicken coops or whatever, for example.

You can set up a blog specifically for your topic(s), Blogger is a good one to do this with.

Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  8:11:34 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Mikki,
I am here! Just let me know what you have questions on and I will do my very best to help you! If you have questions on everything all at once maybe pick one to start with and we can go from there! I am availible by e-mail, here (of course ) and depending on where you are, can be by phone as well ( I have a USA phone number so for those that have unlimited USA and Canada phone calls I would be a free call just have to get the time difference down!) Am thrilled to help any way I can!

Rebecca, LOL you had me laughing when you said my wish list of learning wore you out so sorry!! For things I know I was only listing "farm" things but I did own my own store for 8 years, was a purchase agent for a health spa and private college for 9 years and a book store manager for 2.5 years. So I can help with bussiness questions etc. I grew up with hydro and home remedies so I can help there as well. For a blog...I have myspace and a homepage with msn...would this work ok?? Please let me know! Am thrilled you started this and look forward to all I will learn and to any help I can give!

Hugz to All!
Talitha aka Buttercup

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

Celticheart
True Blue Farmgirl

811 Posts

Marcia
WA
USA
811 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  8:58:40 PM  Show Profile
I think I have time to do this tonight...finally.

We just moved to 7 acres on the edge of town last spring so now we have our own little farm and LOVE it! I've always had a garden and canned. I've grown everything from flowers to herbs to veggies. I'm most knowlegable about flowers and herbs, I think. This year we're putting in a big herb garden and raised bed cutting gardens. We're interested in learning about market gardening. We also raise pigs and have for the last 9 years(DS's 4-H and FFA projects). We will continue to raise pigs to sell. Now we have 5 red Angus/Gelvieh cross heifers but don't ask me about them. They are my DH's little project. And we have chickens. Just learning about those but so far so good. I'd like to learn about beekeeping and honey.

Besides gardening, I can and preserve. I like to cook and have been a caterer. I sew, knit, crochet and quilt...mostly quilt and knit at the moment. I have extensive experience in custom sewing everything from jeans to wedding dresses. I also do some longarm quilting. I'd like to learn to spin and to do upholstery.

I'm also interested in blogging and digital photography. I know nothing about either of those things.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of more later.

IRL I'm a nurse.

Marcia

"I suppose the pleasure of country life lies really in the eternally renewed evidence of the determination to live." Vita Sackville-West

Go to Top of Page

Mikki
True Blue Farmgirl

1510 Posts

Mikki
Austin Indiana
USA
1510 Posts

Posted - Mar 22 2007 :  10:34:15 PM  Show Profile
I'm getting ready to start some herbs in the house and then set them outside as it gets warmer. I am interested in drying them for tea and medicinal purposes and other things that herbs may be used for. Since it's time to start planting I thought I would start there. I am also interested in some container veggie's. I've had a garden before but I was thinking of using some 4x4x12 wooden frames to plant in. Any helpful mentoring would be greatly appreciated. I plan to use containers for my herbs also.
~~Blessings, Mikki Jo

http://burningmeadowsprings.blogspot.com/
http://strawberriesnapronstrings.blogspot.com/
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  11:44:42 AM  Show Profile
Photo mentoring is all set up over at flickr. If you would, please tell me what you are interested in learning.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/farmgirls/

There are already several who have joined and contributed photos to the group.

All are welcome!!!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:15:21 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Mikki,
Gardening is NOT one of the things I am well expierenced at so I think you want some of tha gals that are gardening now to help with that. My two favorite books so far for reference are by Readers Digest and they are RD Home Handbooks Organic Gardening and 1001 Hints and Tips for your Garden. I have a ton more but these are easy and concise which is great for those starting out like us ! Do let us know how your garden grows!
Hugz!
Talitha

"If we could maintain the wonder of childhood and at the same time grasp the wisdom of age, what wonder,what wisdom,what life would be ours"
Go to Top of Page

vintagechica
True Blue Farmgirl

438 Posts

Eren
Poolville TX
USA
438 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:18:32 PM  Show Profile
Mikki, I am not the container garden mentor, LOL, but I would recommend a good book for you to check out. You Grow Girl by Gayla Trail shows you how to grow herbs, veggie including potatos, cucumbers, peas, yada, yada yada in containers. Plus she has some fun little garden crafty projects as well. Just thought I would pass it along.

Good Luck!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
A sure way to avoid housework...live outdoors.

Visit me anytime at my blog:
www.vintagechica.typepad.com
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
Grace,
I have questions for you!!!
First off my daughter who is 7 wants an Alpaca. My questions are; are they gentle enough for a kid to handle them? do they make good "pets"? and what can they provide other then being their sweet selves and bringing my daughter joy (which of course is huge)? If I do not want to kill them, can I sell/use their fiber? Does one provide enough for me to even use? Would an alpaca be happy with say a cow, mini donkey, horse, sheep and goats, or would they need the companionship of another alpaca?

Next, what kind of dairy goats did/do you have and why?

Thank you so much!!
Hugz!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page

Kim
True Blue Farmgirl

146 Posts

Kim
Pflugerville Texas
USA
146 Posts

Posted - Mar 27 2007 :  7:29:42 PM  Show Profile
I am interested in learning spindle spinning!

Blessed Be!

farmgirl@heart

"Go confidently in the directions of your dreams; live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler." - Henry David Thoreau

http://chevy49girl.livejournal.com/
http://midwestmusings-kim.blogspot.com/
http://chevy49girl.deviantart.com/
Go to Top of Page

Buttercup
True Blue Farmgirl

1433 Posts

Talitha
Vermont
USA
1433 Posts

Posted - Apr 04 2007 :  12:01:38 AM  Show Profile  Click to see Buttercup's MSN Messenger address
ok dont know what happened here.... but am still more then happy to help anyone I can and have tons to learn so... *BUMP*

Hugz to All!
Talitha

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Across the Fence: Previous Topic Farmgirl Mentors Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Snitz Forums 2000 Go To Top Of Page